Forums > General Industry > Goodbye Volo Magazine

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

For those who are unware Volo was a nude art publication.  Getting published in Volo seemed like a high goal that photographers at least had a chance of making. It was on my to do list. 

Yesterday I was going through my list of publishers clicked on Volo and was redirected to Volo Daily (their site for online content). There was a popup saying "Volo Magazine is no longer publishing monthly magazines and galleries." When I checked again this morning I was redirected to Volo Art.  Looking at Volo Art it seemed to be something they made a couple years ago and hasn't been updated.  After more searching it seems that Volo is living on as Volo Glam. This is something they've been running at the same time as Volo. Volo Glam was their SFW version. It appears to have gotten an overhaul since my last visit it is now a more hip lifestyle website that just happens to have SFW pictures on it. Volo Glam will still accept SFW submissions but are looking for urban and glam content over the style that was common on Volo.

Besides Volo changing directions I've notice other publishers like them have became inactive. More than the usual amount. I wonder if Tumblr's ban on Adult content has anything to do with it? Some of these publishers would use Tumblr for posting their NSFW sample pages.

Jan 05 19 10:35 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I like the word "Volo", it sounds cool.

Jan 07 19 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

"VOLOGLAM is the lifestyle, fashion and glamour guide for the new age millennial who wants to live fast, save the planet, trade in bitcoin, smoke pot and change the world in the process."

Okay...

Jan 13 19 04:35 am Link

Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

A couple of recent commentaries and discussions on these very issues and corporate, establishment information censorship at large:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQU2xSMxfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSvCjvWaoB8

Jan 14 19 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

I'm guessing the latest Government censorship/trafficing laws has a lot to do with it, just as many websites and social media has cracked down on NSFW images.

Jan 15 19 12:36 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Lack of professionalism on behalf of management can never lead to anything positive.

As a side note: large volume of Russian contributors, portfolios of whom generally feature themselves in the mirror together with model inserting fingers and assorted items in various model's orifices much to the uncontrollable joy of "target audience"....Terry Richardson is rotating in his grave and he is not even dead yet!

So, if Volo staf reads this - "So much for VOLO"..wink

Feb 05 19 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

R.EYE.R wrote:
Terry Richardson is rotating in his grave and he is not even dead yet!

LOL!

Feb 05 19 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

KMphoto Globalcitizen

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

My photos had been accepted for publication in the next issue of Volo when they suddenly stopped; I had been waiting 9 months...
Which magazines do you consider alternatives for Volo? Or, phrased differently, which magazine would you consider the "highest" in art nude at this moment?

Feb 06 19 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

KMphoto Globalcitizen wrote:
My photos had been accepted for publication in the next issue of Volo when they suddenly stopped; I had been waiting 9 months...

This is their common practice. They didn't let you down because of issue cancellation, but because they keep works on ice preventing them from appearing in other publications whilst looking for something they consider better than submission.

Feb 06 19 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been published in Volo Magazine, but had thought to try it again.  I'm sorry to see it go.

Feb 24 19 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

I was asked few time but I pass.  Making money of the back of photographers.

Feb 24 19 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

JAE

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

barepixels wrote:
I was asked few time but I pass.  Making money of the back of photographers.

Same here.  They wanted exclusive rights to photos, plus they wanted me to sign a contract promising to do a few other shoots for them over the course of the year.  All for $0.

Apr 06 19 06:28 am Link