Forums > Model Colloquy > pics of outfits before shoot

Photographer

ImageCRAFTbyAleks

Albany, New York, US

Hey, Philip,

I'm totally onboard with wanting to see the model's wardrobe first. In fact, even if I'm not shooting with the model, I advise them to photograph their wardrobe as they set up shoots with other photographers... and have had no pushback or resistance from them. I've had models show up with their entire wardrobe jammed into the trunk of their car. This takes a while to slog through and sometimes items which would have been acceptable need to be ironed also. Or, if I request a checked shirt, someone shows up with plaid. This way, no mysteries or misunderstandings of what navy blue is, etc. It also helps me know if I need to supplement their wardrobe for a particular look that I believe will work on the model. This is NOT a lot to ask.

My general request is to photograph their wardrobe in categories in a well lit room against a light background. (white bed sheet, light colored carpet, etc) They don't have to wear the clothing. This can all be done with a cellphone camera. Then break it down into groupings: suits, dress shirts, casual shirts, work clothes, accessories, shoes, boots, athletic shoes, sports attire, etc. Once they do this, they can send it off instantly to any photographer as they are setting up a shoot. Professional. Courteous. And thoughtful use of their time as well as the photographer's.

If this is too much of an ordeal, go be a telemarketer or something else. I can't believe some comments debated the merits of doing this.

Jan 16 19 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

If making sure you have the perfect outfit, schedule a paid pre-meeting to have fittings.

Asking for selfies of them in various outfits seems weird to me. If it works for you and the model, wonderful. Go for it.

Some models have galleries of their clothing for you to pick from prior to the shoot (or their traveling tour). Some of those galleries include them wearing the outfit. However, you will not know how long ago that was taken.

If you want the model to do additional work, compensate her for her time doing so.

Jan 17 19 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
If making sure you have the perfect outfit, schedule a paid pre-meeting to have fittings.

Asking for selfies of them in various outfits seems weird to me. If it works for you and the model, wonderful. Go for it.

Some models have galleries of their clothing for you to pick from prior to the shoot (or their traveling tour). Some of those galleries include them wearing the outfit. However, you will not know how long ago that was taken.

If you want the model to do additional work, compensate her for her time doing so.

Your scenario assumes this is a paid shoot and this is an additional tasking on the model.  In a TFP situation, much more common on this site and in the arrangements most of the photographers and models on here find themselves, isn't there some level of expectation that the model will assume some responsibility for making the shoot successful?  Simply asking for a cell pic of clothes really isn't taking up that much of anyone's valuable time. 

What may seem as someone asking additional things of the model, why is it unreasonable to see that the photographer has an expectation of needing this information?  If one is hanging, setting up or having to acquire specific backdrops in a studio, it's easy to see why seeing the outfits could best provide the photographer with the most pertinent information.  After all, planning on light outfits and having dark backdrops/roll paper or whatever prepared could all be wasted time, effort and money if the model shows up in dark colors.  In a paid situation, I would dictate what I need the model to wear to help create the vision we've discussed beforehand.  In that pre-planning stage, it would be imperative for the model to say whether she already possessed those articles or if they needed to be procured.  If the model needs to purchase something, that all comes into play with compensation.  Showing up the day of the shoot without a specified outfit that fit the agreed upon look could mean a lot of the photographers time and money had been wasted.  Doing so would be the equivalent of being a no show.

The creative process involves everyone, not just having the photographer adapt to whatever the model pulls out of her bag of tricks that day.

Jan 17 19 05:52 pm Link

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

I as a model always ask a photographer what outfits should i bring or if I should take smth to my taste. And I can even send some photos. But not like photos in transparent lingerie. Dresses and similar is ok.

But yes, I can totally get why she disappeared, cos models often get asked to make some “selfies in thongs” and stuff like that from creeps sad

I think it would be fine to ask for pictures of just outfits (alone, on a mannequin or on herself to her choice) so she can see u r not looking for a free sexy selfie smile and yes, surprisingly many people have mannequins at home ))

Jul 01 20 05:15 am Link

Retoucher

RuthCrawford

Richmond, California, US

Your tips inspire me, tell me are you making black and white photo? It seems to me interesting this direction of professional photography.
https://fixthephoto.com/online-photoshop-editor.html

Jul 02 20 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Rada-mila wrote:
I as a model always ask a photographer what outfits should i bring or if I should take smth to my taste. And I can even send some photos. But not like photos in transparent lingerie. Dresses and similar is ok.

But yes, I can totally get why she disappeared, cos models often get asked to make some “selfies in thongs” and stuff like that from creeps sad

I think it would be fine to ask for pictures of just outfits (alone, on a mannequin or on herself to her choice) so she can see u r not looking for a free sexy selfie smile and yes, surprisingly many people have mannequins at home ))

It isn't necessary to see the model wearing the garments in the photos. It might be nice, but often there are just so many of them that she would spend the day changing and shooting selfies. I'm more concerned about the cut of the garments and the colors and textures of the fabrics. For the most part, models don't bring clothes that don't fit them -- and if something is too large, it can be made to fit with clamps or clothespins.

Usually, I just ask the model to spread the garments out on something of a neutral color (white is good) -- a white table, a white bed sheet, etc. Mannequins are great as well.

It is helpful, however, if the colors are accurate. When colors pop in a photo, it usually involves the relationship of the colors on a color wheel -- complimentary colors, for example. But, for example, not all greens look good with all reds. One time, a model's wardrobe photos included an attractive turquoise dress, and I had just the right backdrop for it. However, when the model walked out of the dressing room, it turned out that the dress was silver.

Since silver is a neutral color (unless it's reflecting some other color), it still worked with that backdrop.

Btw, we don't usually start shoot planning with garments and colors. We start with things like genres, themes, sets and "locations" (although I've done a lot more shoots on studio sets than on location). But the available wardrobe is a factor in the genres we can shoot.

Jul 02 20 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You really can’t rely on the model to have a wardrobe dept. It’s actually not her job to supply wardrobe unless you stumbled across a fashionista that happens to have the same tastes and visions as you.
Same thing for make up. Sure some girls can do their own reasonable make up, but really a professional make up person is the best way.

Many girls I’ve shot don’t even own nice enough clothes let alone have a wide array to choose from.

Pretty much it’s the photographers place to secure the clothes to get what the photographer wants.
There are ways of doing this.

However if the model is paying you for photos of themselves they should get their own clothes that they want to be photographed in. Of course you can be a part of helping them choose from their closet.

Before I run around getting wardrobe I do ask the model what she may have. If she thinks she has something that could work I simply ask them to send a phone pic of the clothing, either laid out on a bed or hanging from hangers.

Remember the photographers shooting for fashion don’t go around picking clothes, the clothing company is providing the clothes they want to showcase. When shooting for your own projects getting the clothes you want is on you, just like figuring where to shoot, what background and lighting set up to use.

Jul 02 20 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

GianCarlo Images wrote:
You really can’t rely on the model to have a wardrobe dept.

Imo, that depends -- on the model, on the purpose of the shoot, etc.

If the shoot is for a client, the client provides the wardrobe. For purposes of this thread, I'm talking mainly about trade shoots with experienced models to improve their portfolios, mine, and often a MUA's. portfolio. While there may be an occasional exception, to me, the ideal trade shoot is one where all parties get several portfolio-quality photos while spending little (and preferably no) money on the shoot.

I've done (last time I counted) 18 shoots (only two in her studio) with a model who has a 3,000-square foot commercial studio with a wardrobe area that has more than 600 garments and more space that some photographers' entire studios. I've had models drive from near the Canadian border to St. Louis with 10 hand-selected outfits that she had never used in a shoot before. I've had models walk into my studio (before I started selecting wardrobe before the day of the shoot) with two suitcases on wheels, each full of clothes (usually badly wrinkled, because they're all crammed into too small a space).

Even a beginner model usually has a few really good outfits.

There used to be a good wardrobe stylist in St. Louis. That was several years ago.

I just checked for wardrobe stylists within 100 miles of St. Louis who have logged in to MM in the past 365 days. There are zero (just like the last time).

There are five clothing designers within 100 miles of St. Louis who have logged in to MM in the past 365 days. Four of them haven’t logged in in at least 8 months. The other logged in just over a week ago. He has a total of 5 photos in his portfolio.

For my style(s) of shooting, I think I can style a wardrobe better than most wardrobe stylists and clothing designers who have been in StL in the past 10 years – and better than a majority of the models I’ve worked with. Frankly, I find that scary as hell, because that’s not my area of expertise…

It's been a while since I've done a shoot. My wife has a serious health issue, and I closed my studio (temporarily, I hope) a few years ago.

Jul 03 20 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I split my amateur TFP shoots into two sessions.

The 1st session is where my model poses for my concept and the 2nd session is where I'll photograph my model's concept in return.

For my session, before the shoot I provide example images of my concept. I also arrange hair styling, makeup and wardrobe for my model.

For the 2nd session, my model provides me with examples of their concept. Models are welcome to change their hair, makeup and wear their choice of outfits that best suit their concept.

Photographer and model don’t necessarily have to like each others concepts (or wardrobe), but by separating sessions, both the photographer and model get an opportunity to create the images they want and/or need.

Jul 03 20 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is in response to a members comments.   Getting stylists and designers to loan you outfits isn't going to happen for the average shooter.   Many won't have things that may fit your models and the rest aren't going to trust things will be returned intact and promptly.   I suggest going to thrift stores and Goodwill.   Young women very often don't have really nice outfits.   They may not know what your vision is as well.   If your planned shoot is mostly about fun and practice, who cares.   However if you are investing in a make-up artist and studio time, etc.   Its a good idea to see what her/his wardrobe will be.

Jul 04 20 08:04 am Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I suggest going to thrift stores and Goodwill.

+1
This is what I have done on numerous occasions.  My preference is Goodwill. You can get funky with your choices and it won't cost a fortune. I've purchase 2 complete outfits (skirt/pants, blouse) for less than $25 then give the outfits to the models if she wants them.
I also look for cheap costume jewelry, hats, scarves, etc. Cheap ... cheap ... cheap.  You help a good cause and you get outfits you want.

Jul 07 20 08:48 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I notice that one of the early commenters on this zombie thread, moaned about how resentful he was when SOMEONE ELSE is asked, and doesn't cooperate in making his life a little easier.  He was also proud of the fact that he didn't trust another professional.

If I am asking someone to work on a creative endeavor with me, as a paid participant or as a volunteer contributor, it is up to me to make the other person's life easier.  It is not my place to burden them.  They make my life easier by coming prepared, being informed, being professional and giving me the results I am after.  Why should I complicate that?

I feel like I have two options when I am looking for a look.  Neither of them requires the other person to spend money or time on my behalf, and it works well.

I send the model a photograph of a dress/outfit/whatever and ask her if she has anything that would provide that type of look and then I trust her judgement.  After all, it was me that had already vetted her. 

The other option is to find what I need, get her sizes and buy it.  Unless I am looking for an outrageously expensive piece of clothing, clothing can be acquired cheaply.  If I am looking for something outrageously expensive, then it is pretty dang arrogant of me to expect her to have it, and possibly sacrifice it for my shoot.

Jul 08 20 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

An old thread but relevant. Requested wardrobe depends on the shoot.  If TF, I sometimes asked models to bring certain things.  But, also had some clothes.  One thing to keep in mind, even experienced models just throw clothes into a bag, so it may not be what you want.  Sometimes it's dirty, holes, or not good colors. Most females have black clothes, which doesnt photograph well.  White and black clothes are common colors sold by stores, which is an external factor.  White is also sometimes tricky, not always white, and neither is black, if you're very precise.

If paying a model and you want certain looks, then maybe asking for some shots of clothes is appropriate.  But, also have some clothes.  About spending 2 hours fiddling with clothes, yes that's what it takes sometimes.  A lot of it is done before the shoot, then a little more time to setup clothes during the shoot. That's why shoots are not easy, when also adding backdrops and lighting.  That could take hours, then cleanup.  Models may not see it the same way, but we spend time on shoots.

Philip Brown wrote:
yes, lovely.... in theory. Given unlimited budget and time.
Sadly, I have neither wink

If i were to do wardrobe, I would be really, REALLY picky about it.
Which would require either hiring a pro.. or me spending 2 hours fiddling with the clothing before taking a single shot big_smile

Jul 10 20 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

If the model is providing the wardrobe,  I've had models  volunteer pics of wardrobe items. A few times I've asked for and got the requested pics. Most often, though, I just give the inexperienced models a few guidelines, such as [no loud prints] and [no high-midriff dresses]. Most of the time the models can figure it out from there. If not, we've got other wardrobe to work with (I have them bring a variety of clothing).

Jul 10 20 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I sometimes go to local thrift shops to source wardrobe items, but if I need a specific outfit quickly, I find searching on ebay to be a much easier and more successful alternative.

Jul 10 20 09:26 pm Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Philip Brown wrote:
I'm trying to be a bit more prepared and organized for shoots.
I work with the wardrobe the models have on hand.
So, of late, I've been asking them to provide pics of the wardrobe they plan to bring before the shoot.
A surprising number of them have flaked once I ask them to do this.
The most recent:

A model approached ME, for a collab.
After some back and forth, planning, I asked her for some pics of her planned wardrobe.
Her: "Oh, don't worry, I've never had any complaints"
Me: "I'd still like to make the best match between wardrobe and location. Its not a rush or anything, but I'd still like some wardrobe pics before doing a shoot"
Her: "I'll just find someone else"

???

Knowing the full details of wardrobe before a shoot, seems like just a smart and sensible thing to me.
Is this somehow outlandish behaviour??

Some photographers have asked for this beforehand. Most don't. She might have assumed you wanted pics of her wearing it, which might have felt like it was for your own personal collection rather than to prep for the shoot (you never know in this industry!). When this has been requested of me I've sent photos of the outfits laid out on the ground and that's always been accepted by the photographer requesting them so I've come to realise it's just some photographer's preference. It sounds like she was either assuming the worst or being lazy.

Based on the communication you've written above, I wouldn't have felt like there was anything untoward in your communication but I've had good experience with photographers who have asked for the same. Maybe she hasn't? In any case, if she couldn't accommodate quite a simple request, it just wasn't a fit. Never mind; plenty more fish in the sea!

Jul 10 20 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

It's good to see other perspectives, from both models and photographers.  But, I think being in California makes a difference. Most of the posters are from other areas, but the OP is Cali, along with myself.  I wish the OP joined some of our group shoots, when we still had them.  Per, he would have had more content.

Cali is maybe 1/10th the population in the US.  We have an abundance of models and wanna be models.  Let's fairly include that for photographers.  We deal with a fairly high flake factor.  Many times, we can't book them until the night before the shoot.  One reason is, females will get many offers, they can sometimes pick and choose.  A new face, could literally have a full mailbox in 1 day.  So, many times a "manager" takes over.  Models can show interest for several offers, then either no longer reply or not showup, since they have a better offer. So,...whether it's understood just taking pictures of clothes or wearing clothes, that may not matter.

Kelly Kooper wrote:
Knowing the full details of wardrobe before a shoot, seems like just a smart and sensible thing to me.
Is this somehow outlandish behaviour??
Some photographers have asked for this beforehand. Most don't. She might have assumed you wanted pics of her wearing it, which might have felt like it was for your own personal collection rather than to prep for the shoot (you never know in this industry!). When this has been requested of me I've sent photos of the outfits laid out on the ground and that's always been accepted by the photographer requesting them so I've come to realise it's just some photographer's preference. It sounds like she was either assuming the worst or being lazy.

Based on the communication you've written above, I wouldn't have felt like there was anything untoward in your communication but I've had good experience with photographers who have asked for the same. Maybe she hasn't? In any case, if she couldn't accommodate quite a simple request, it just wasn't a fit. Never mind; plenty more fish in the sea!

Jul 11 20 01:04 am Link