Forums > Model Colloquy > Meeting models outside of Model Mayhem?

Photographer

Misvie Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Have you ever had photographers approach you in person? How would someone go about doing that without it being creepy?

What are ways photographers have connected with you off the site and in person?

What other ways do you use to network?

thanks big_smile

Jan 15 19 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have met models at photographic events I attend.
In fact my avatar model is from Vancouver.

Jan 15 19 07:29 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Misvie Photography wrote:
Have you ever had photographers approach you in person? How would someone go about doing that without it being creepy?

What are ways photographers have connected with you off the site and in person?

What other ways do you use to network?

thanks big_smile

The first time I ever modeled was after being approached by a guy at a bar, who handed me a business card and asked if I'd ever consider modeling nude.
I was in my early 20s, working in an office, where I made $7.75/hour. My life was extremely dull, and modeling nude (really, modeling at all, for anything) sounded like one of those things you only have the chance to do once in a lifetime. I figured I might as well take advantage of the opportunity, since I assumed it'd be a one-and-done kind of thing.

I called him a week or two later, had a great time shooting. It was literally the most fun I'd ever had in my life, up to that point. After that, I spent the next couple years modeling for painting and drawing classes, and fine arts for colleges and groups. Eventually (to my amazement) I discovered that people wanted to photograph me too, and I began traveling for photoshoots. Years have passed - a goodly number of years.

I'm still friends with the guy who approached me in the bar that night. 

I suppose the point of that story is that sometimes approaching a random stranger, or being approached by a random stranger, can change the direction of a person's life. And even if it makes no huge difference, some of the best experiences and friendships I've gained in my life thus far came from deciding I was going to talk to someone I didn't know. A lot of times, people think you're weird....but a lot of times they don't.

Jan 15 19 07:46 pm Link

Model

Ivy Wild

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

If someone approached me and told me I was beautiful and that I should be a model, I would back away slowly and assume that they were a pimp.

I would say get some business cards made up. If you see someone who has a look you like walk up to them and say "your look is right for a project that I am working on. If you would like to model/be photographed, please get in touch". Hand them the card, and then walk away.

That's a non-creepy approach. I would probably have reached out to this person, or continued the conversation by asking for details about the project.

Jan 15 19 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Jan 15 19 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have met models at photographic events I attend.
In fact my avatar model is from Vancouver.

One of my favorite Models and I highly recommend her

Jan 15 19 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Yeah, in fact many of the first models I worked with I met outside of MM.  Thinking of going back to that route since things here on MM have been such a dud for so many years.

Jan 15 19 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

ya know..I occasionally see someone that might be cool to shoot - but I never walk up to them

I've been told I give off a 'psycho-killer' vibe until you know me..

it is what it is

that is one reason I'm kinda on the lookout for a 'muse'  - someone to do my bidding in that way

someone to 'prove' my legitimacy and provide a 'he's probably okay if she is with him' kind of deal

until then... I'll just use MM where the models can contact all my previous shoots to assure themselves

Jan 18 19 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

About half the models I’ve worked with are via MM and about half via Craigslist.   I’ve never just approached photogenic women in real life, but I’ve talked to photographers who have.   They’ve all stated it’s important to not give a hard pitch at the moment, but simply introduce yourself and hand them a business card.   I’m not there yet, but as MM declines, I’m considering it more and more.

Jan 18 19 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

I know some through figure drawing.

Jan 18 19 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I met my favorite model at my former health club.  Another on my bus route to work.  Another at a laundromat.  The OP is a woman so she has an advantage because people are typically less suspicious of women and less afraid.   Guys don't be afraid to hand out cards and ask people you find attractive to work with you.  Many people who work at boring jobs would love the chance to model.  Even if they say no most will be flattered.  I met a great looking woman at a party who I asked to shoot.  She showed up and after a few minutes took her clothes off.  Mind you I didn't ask nor did she want to sleep with me at least she didn't indicate in any way she did but she really liked being photographed and we shot several more times.

A lot of past fashion and glamour models started by working with photographers who approached them.   Models like Iman for example.  The photographer Peter Beard was well known but still a stranger to her when he approached her.  You have nothing to lose by asking.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iman_(model)

Jan 20 19 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I get creeped out when strangers ask Me to shoot. 

<   Current avatar I met working in a costume / sfx store.

I was looking for a particular item and In conversation She mentioned She would like to Model but had some bad experiences.  After some reluctance She finally agreed to shoot, that was Aug, 2018.  We've shot 18 sets since.

Jan 21 19 02:22 am Link