Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Questions about gradient maps and LUTs

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

EDIT: I found the answer to the first question less than an hour after posting the question. I should have posted it two weeks ago.

First question:

How can I create gradient maps with specific values (like hex codes)? The color picker that comes up with gradient maps has no place to enter RGB values or even hex codes.

There are well over a dozen gradient maps that I want to create, based on certain looks that fit in with my work and style.

For example, one of them these generally analogous colors (for skin as well as wardrobe and background) as well as something resembling black and white (but not necessarily pure black and pure white) at the ends of the map:

3e2f2f, 764b31, 84492c, ad6d51, d3a279, e2c5aa

It shouldn’t make a difference, but I’m using Adobe’s larger set of gradients, which is intended for photography, rather than the default set in Photoshop, which is more for graphic design.

Second question:

Is there a way to create a LUT based on an existing photo, when you only have the finished JPEG, rather than a PSD or TIFF file that includes all the layers that produced that look?

Feb 01 19 09:57 am Link

Retoucher

fireshoot

Naples, Campania, Italy

Camerosity wrote:
Second question:

Is there a way to create a LUT based on an existing photo, when you only have the finished JPEG, rather than a PSD or TIFF file that includes all the layers that produced that look?

Image 2 Lut
https://www.cinema5d.com/image-2-lut-cl … one-click/
https://www.cinema5d.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/image-2-lut_3.jpg

Feb 01 19 01:04 pm Link

Retoucher

WSC

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

You can degrade finished photo to get to original (assuming there was no masking involved). If you also have an original then you can create color pairs and create a lut from there.

Feb 04 19 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

You might want to check this out: https://ninobatista.zenfolio.com/nbp-co … -photoshop
It has the ability to layout a gradient map simulation of the color palette of an existing image into a new image.

Feb 04 19 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

fireshoot wrote:
Image 2 Lut
https://www.cinema5d.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/image-2-lut_3.jpg

Thanks for responding. I’ve seen that page before. I’d like a little information about it, but I’ve never found anyone who has actually used it.

I’m guessing that creating a LUT without the actual steps/layers that were used to create the look in the original photo has its limitations. The examples that they show (as with most commercially available LUTs that I’ve seen) might not translate well to studio work.

Have you had any experience with the product?

I’ve seen review of another product, 3D LUT Creator, that might be interesting (although the full version is somewhat pricey). However, every time I’ve tried to visit their site, MalwareBytes blocks it, saying that there’s a trojan on the site.

While I could override MB, I’ve tried that a couple of times in the past, and it didn’t end well.

Feb 06 19 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

WSC wrote:
You can degrade finished photo to get to original (assuming there was no masking involved). If you also have an original then you can create color pairs and create a lut from there.

Thank you. Can you direct me to something that goes into this in a bit more detail?

Feb 06 19 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Bernard Wolf wrote:
You might want to check this out: https://ninobatista.zenfolio.com/nbp-co … -photoshop
It has the ability to layout a gradient map simulation of the color palette of an existing image into a new image.

Thanks! I checked out Nino’s videos (on his site and on youtube) last night (actually until about 3:00 this morning), and it appears to be exactly what I’ve been looking for to create gradient maps from existing images.

While I had figured out how to create them manually, based on a reference photo, his solution is much faster, more elegant and more versatile. And it’s reasonably priced. I’ll be buying it minutes from now.

The way I was doing it, I had to paste in a hex code for each tone in the gradient editor. I pasted them in, one at a time, from darkest to lightest, based on a visual assessment of the luminosity of each from the reference photo.

After that, I either had to reorder them, based on the way they appeared in the gradient editor, or guesstimate and manually assign a brightness value to each tone, to try to match the tonality as it appeared in the reference photo.

None of that is required with ColormapX.

He has a couple of other Photoshop extensions that also look interesting….

Before I went to bed, I sent Nino a few questions, and there was a detailed response in my inbox when I got up.

Feb 06 19 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

I'm glad that worked out for you. His Frequency Separation plug in is nice also.

Feb 06 19 03:26 pm Link