Forums > General Industry > Influencer: The new term for stupid

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

An article posted online today.  It clearly shows the state people have declined to in the area of common sense.  Taking extreme risks to "the shot" is one of the dumbest things anyone can do. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/inf … 05563.html

Feb 02 19 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Yup!

Feb 02 19 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I've read it and I disagree with the article.

For me, it doesn't have anything to do with IG or Influencers, because as a photographer, I want to shoot sometimes in situations where not everybody is shooting... doing the unusual, stuff that not everybody does and has the same stuff.

Now, this shot is not in extreme weather, but "outside the box":

At a charity fundraiser for orphans in Odessa/Ukraine, LL Cool Jay did his first golf swing ever at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan.

While everybody else was shooting him from behind, I was the only one that laid down on the adjacent stall and shot him from the front.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10464348_659764404091946_2902582369055260130_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=31f31689dc3ce7fe5ebe1090b14f5b82&oe=5CB71C84

Yeah, I could have been hit with the golfball, or my camera... but I took that risk, because if you do what everybody does, it's hard to get a different result.

I think that those Yahoo people are just being annoyed with Instagramers in general and have no imagination.

Sometimes... you just got to risk something.

Feb 02 19 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

The Yahoo/People article doesn't actually criticize these women for posing for these photos... it simply reports that they braved the extreme cold in skimpy outfits just long enough to get some pics for their Insta. In fact, the article specifically quotes one of them as taking a very common sense approach to the situation based on the conditions:

Being mindful and aware of the five minute alarm on frostbite, our strategy allowed for just over two minutes per shot followed by a five minute break indoors to keep warm. We also had blankets on standby that I would throw on and off during shot setup, common practice for most cold weather shoots.

I suspect many folks engaged in a whole mess of far-riskier behavior during the Polar Vortex, either for social media purposes or simply for pure reckless engagement with a highly-newsworthy weather event. But because this is MM, any lame excuse to take cheap potshots at young women for anything they dare to do, I guess... roll

Feb 02 19 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thats nothing compared to this sort of tragedy

https://globalnews.ca/video/4316035/sha … ia-stardom

I knew Rykers GF ( a former Model )

Feb 02 19 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I think the question for both models and photographers is:  What's the likely reward for taking risk and can that reward be gained without the risk?

A war corespondent obviously can't wait until peace time to document a conflict, but I fail to understand what of any significance a bikini shoot on a balcony taken a few days ago in -50 windchill accomplishes than a photo taken tomorrow when it's +45 in Chicago wouldn't.  It's one thing to get a unique shot that didn't require any notable risk, but quite another to to shoot in dangerous conditions to get a shot that's really no different than one taken in better conditions would be.

I've seen several articles filled with examples of people dying trying to take dangerous photos for social media and Garry's link offers another example.  It's sad when a photographer dies trying to document something like war, but just plain stupid to take dangerous risks for social media posts. 

Aside from mentioning deaths and injuries from the cold, the article you link, linked an another article"  "Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Risk the Cold for a Cool Picture on Instagram"  It's sad we've gotten to the point, we actually have to write articles explaining why it's stupid to take crazy risks just to get photos for social media.

Feb 02 19 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

Giving more attention to people wanting more attention because you wouldn't do the same thing yourself is the definition of Irony.

Feb 02 19 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

What's the difference between a shot taken at -20 degF and one taken at +20 degF? Unless you have the thermometer in frame, nothing that I know of will be different.

The -20 degF you might only get a few shots before the model needs to run back inside to get warm; whereas, the +20 degF shoot, you might get more frames snapped.

So these people claimed to have shot with -50degF wind chill, but their hair is not blowing in the breeze. Wind chill only counts when the wind is blowing. These images could have been taken on any day. Just because says there were taken on that day does not make it so.

Lastly, nothing dangerous about being in frigid temperatures for for a brief moment. Staying outside with exposed skin, now that's a problem

Feb 02 19 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Stupid or dedicated ?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … onths.html
Quite different than an Instaspam fame seeking tog though

Feb 02 19 05:23 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Stupid or dedicated ?

Cool pics and admirable.  Wildlife photography can be a lot of work.  But isn't he looking for a sort of fame also?

I have had park rangers yell at me and tell me not to go into the field because of ticks and the possibility of lyme disease.  Ah, yes, the safety of being confined to the indoors or closely cropped lawns covered with pesticides!

Feb 02 19 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Stupid or dedicated ?

In my view, hanging out in a disease ridden pond to get wildlife shots and going out on a balcony in incredibly cold conditions to get some lingerie or bikini shots both take dedication. 

The difference is one produced amazing images for publication and pay that would otherwise not have been possible. The other produced a so-so,, not unique Instagram image that could have been achieved in much nicer conditions days later.   What's the point of dedication if it doesn't produce anything more notable or more profitable than can be achieved with much less "dedication"?

If the wildlife photographer could have gotten the same images lying on a comfy foam mattress on the opposite shore with a slightly longer lens, then I'd say he was indeed stupid, but I doubt that's the case.

Feb 02 19 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

As a photographer it is one thing to put oneself in harms way (to get a photograph).

But should a photographer put someone else in harms way (to get a photograph).

Employers have a duty of care to ensure the health and safety of their employees aren’t put at risk in so far as is reasonably practicable.

Do photographers have a duty of care to their models?

What if a model suggests, agrees and wilfully puts themself in harms way (to get a photograph), does this make it okay for the photographer to allow it to happen?

Feb 02 19 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

kickfight wrote:
But because this is MM, any lame excuse to take cheap potshots at young women for anything they dare to do, I guess... roll

Yes, just mention that you shoot on railroad tracks and half the people here turn into blathering old men!!!  LoL
The average photographer is not exactly a daredevil!!!

Feb 02 19 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

John Silva Photography wrote:
Yes, just mention that you shoot on railroad tracks and half the people here turn into blathering old men!!!  LoL
The average photographer is not exactly a daredevil!!!

To be able to do a photoshoot on railroad tracks you need to be inducted and appropriately authorised to be on Railroad Property.

Railroad corridors are private property and you should never sit, walk, step, stand, or lay on rails; including other track components such as switch points, frogs, guard rails, derails, and wheel stops - and expect movement from on-track equipment at any time.

Feb 03 19 01:29 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I'm wondering how many individuals here complaining about how dangerous a stunt this was have ever had an image picked up and used on Yahoo entertainment?

Feb 03 19 08:56 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Some people are being stupid and some people take stupid to the extreme and pay with their lives.  But where do you draw the line on what is an acceptable risk for someone else?  Draw lines for yourself.  The only thing about them doing these extreme cold shots, as Eric pointed out; having a pile snow behind you and a "God, it's cold" expression on your face, doesn't tell me how cold it is.  It could be 60 and the snow is melting and you can be 10 feet from a hot tub.  (Hot tub, snow bank, hot tub.  Those were fun times. smile )

However, the premise of this thread is what is stupid.  Some people want to run a marathon instead of a 5k.  Some people want to ski the extreme slopes.  Some want to hike and camp where there are rattlesnakes and bears.  Some want to climb rock faces.  Some want to jump out of airplanes.  Some want to swim with sharks.  Some want to take the best pictures they can get. And some want to take so so pictures in a manner which will get them the attention they crave. Sometimes it is an effort to be the best.  How many of us would ski like an Olympic skier or criticize an Olympic skier for doing those crazy things?

Sitting in our arm chairs and criticizing someone for pushing this particular envelope or that, says more about the person doing the criticizing than the people who reach out for a challenge.  Not every one is cut out for the safe route and finds satisfaction in mediocre life experiences.

Feb 03 19 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
An article posted online today.  It clearly shows the state people have declined to in the area of common sense.  Taking extreme risks to "the shot" is one of the dumbest things anyone can do. 

Dumb... daring..... two sides of the same coin. Trekking 2 days in the woods, waiting for hours in the cold, just to get a photograph of a wild bear in Alaska, dumb or daring?

There are bodies on Mt. Everest that used to be very motivated people. Is climbing a mountain that's almost as high as the cruising altitude of a 747 for no payoff other than to say, 'I did it!"; dumb or daring? Some argue that they died doing something they were passionate about. I would argue that those models who risked frostbite were just doing something less dangerous for something that they could have been just as passionate about.

Feb 03 19 09:50 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

Dumb... daring..... two sides of the same coin. Trekking 2 days in the woods, waiting for hours in the cold, just to get a photograph of a wild bear in Alaska, dumb or daring?

There are bodies on Mt. Everest that used to be very motivated people. Is climbing a mountain that's almost as high as the cruising altitude of a 747 for no payoff other than to say, 'I did it!"; dumb or daring? Some argue that they died doing something they were passionate about. I would argue that those models who risked frostbite were just doing something less dangerous for something that they could have been just as passionate about.

Thank you! Great points!

Feb 03 19 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Every year on January 1st, people by the bajillions go jump into a nearby ice cold lake or pond. Some of them have to crack the ice first to get in. There is no rational reason for this behavior.

It's so common it's not even news anymore.

Big whoop.

Much ado about nothing?

Feb 03 19 10:13 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Every year on January 1st, people by the bajillions go jump into a nearby ice cold lake or pond. Some of them have to crack the ice first to get in. There is no rational reason for this behavior.

It's so common it's not even news anymore.

Big whoop.

Much ado about nothing?

This is the "explorer gene" that is strong in a lot of people. That's what makes us curious to explore what it behind that hill... move to other countries, experiment with nature, push the envelope.

It's what made us leave Africa 60,000 years ago.

Feb 03 19 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

The Fyre Festival thing was pretty funny.

Feb 03 19 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Znude! wrote:
The Fyre Festival thing was pretty funny.

The Fyre Festival was done by people who had a big idea, but no real clue on how to pull it off. They made it worse by not listening to people who had the knowledge on what would take. When things got bad, they doubled down with even more bad ideas but not real solutions. When the piper came to get paid, they threw everyone under the bus and ran.

Feb 03 19 10:56 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

man if I actually got paid for half the risky, stupid, dangerous, uncomfortable, potentially life-altering shit photographers have gotten mad that I wouldn't do over the years...

at least influencers are making money to cover their ER bills when shit goes sideways. The guys trying to shoot trade with naked untrained models on the backs of angry horses, go naked in frozen waterfalls, hang off the edge of cliffs, do bondage or aerial work without skilled riggers on set or proper equipment, expose models to shit like housepaint and craft adhesives instead of getting a skilled MUA, or just simply be naked in public arent sticking around to cover our medical bills, disability payments, loss of work, or bailing us out of jail and getting us a lawyer good enough to keep us off the sex offender registry.

This shit predates instagram by a mile

Feb 03 19 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Todd Meredith wrote:

Given that risk-taking behaviour is potentially dangerous, some people wonder why anyone would take part in such behaviour.

On one hand, such behaviour puts those who engage in it in harm's way, but, on the other, it gives them the chance to experience an outcome they perceive as positive.

Unfortunately however, it seems that some risk-takers tend to ignore the consequences of their behaviours and lack even the tiniest amount of common sense.

Feb 03 19 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:
As a photographer it is one thing to put oneself in harms way (to get a photograph).

But should a photographer put someone else in harms way (to get a photograph).

Employers have a duty of care to ensure the health and safety of their employees aren’t put at risk in so far as is reasonably practicable.

Do photographers have a duty of care to their models?

What if a model suggests, agrees and wilfully puts themself in harms way (to get a photograph), does this make it okay for the photographer to allow it to happen?

Im guessing you missed the semi recent new stories of the Model/Crocodile shoot
https://petapixel.com/2018/07/17/watch- … oto-shoot/
Or this Shark shoot
https://youtu.be/lwyrXMfndTQ
Article on the Tog here
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/0 … 50-sharks/

Feb 03 19 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Im guessing you missed the semi recent new stories of the Model/Crocodile shoot
https://petapixel.com/2018/07/17/watch- … oto-shoot/
Or this Shark shoot
https://youtu.be/lwyrXMfndTQ
Article on the Tog here
https://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/0 … 50-sharks/

It’s part of the thrill, doing something difficult and/or dangerous and coming away unscathed. Photographers should always take the safety and well-being of their models into account when planning and doing a photo shoot, especially if the photo shoot involves dangerous conditions.

Feb 03 19 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

There has been for a few years a small parade of young people, in particular, perishing, due to selfie shots.

I was discussing this with a friend recently, where people who are out of their element strive to get shots or footage that must involve themselves, thereby, in their focus on themselves, lessening their awareness of their surroundings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s … and_deaths

Feb 03 19 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

HUMMMM,

Counting 7,600,000,000 people and growing.  Not going to be a shortage of taking risks any time soon.  We're not going to run out of humans for a long time, ever. 

J.

Feb 05 19 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

I think it could be argued that the pursuit to be the first to climb the highest mountain in the world had some influence, which is why outdoor companies and even governments often subsidized such climbs.  (Congrats to Hillary and Norgay).   Same with the first to prove people could adapt and climb Everest without supplemental oxygen  (Messner and Habler).   But what exactly does being the 1,403rd person to be ascend Everest with modern gear, knowledge and a guided service influence exactly?  (other than influencing people to part with 50K and put sherpas at risk)

Self fulfillment is one thing, but doing dangerous or uncomfortable things because you believe you have influence you really don't is something else.

I used to do some fairly extreme kayaking and the adrenaline rush of doing something that would kill most people but surviving because of your skill is an incredible adrenaline rush. I used to do some mountaineering and climbing and have experienced that drive to reach the summit even when your common sense and logic tells you to turn around.   I understand why it's addictive and pushes people to do dangerous things, which is precisely why I quit.

Feb 05 19 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

I have shot in dangerous and difficult circumstances, Congo Civil War, 1962/64 was the first, and a few after that. However, it was me taking the risk, I was not putting anyone else in the frame who was not aware of the risks, they were mercenaries who had signed up for this. At 76 I still have the scars and effects of the injuries and wounds i sustained then.
Placing a model in a swimsuit in those ultra low temperatures is just plain stupid, both by the photographer and the model. I was part of a documentary team shooting in Siberia during the winter, temperature was -52, I had more clothing layers on than i care to remember and was still feeling cold. We were told showing too much skin in those temps was to invite long lasting skin damage.
Malloch

Feb 06 19 09:39 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

I was working the last couple of days just upstream from a place I would fish when I was a kid.  I was reminded of a couple of things.  Upstream from there, a friend and I turned over in a canoe while shooting rapids during a duck hunt.  It was in the middle of the winter.  2 days later, we canoed the same section of stream and had to break the ice in front of us.  We turned the canoe over in a tributary to that stream a couple of years later in late winter, while ice was still on the stream.  An outing while I was in college, a bunch of us went to Pine Creek in Northern PA and shot the rapids in the Pennsylvania grand canyon. I know two canoes went down and there might have been a third.  One canoe was trapped on the bottom and got bent around the big rock in the middle.  We got back the mangled hulk when the water went down in the summer. One guy broke his color bone. I think 3 walked out and waited with the cars.  One continued on.  That was early spring and it started snowing after that.  I could hear the canoe in front but I couldn't see it.  At one point I looked at the guy in the bow and he had 6 inches of snow on his head.  smile  Good times.

There is a nice shiny white rope hanging from a tree where we were working today and I remembered when I was a kid, a bunch of members from our swim team and other guys went to a reservoir to swim.  There was a rope swing there and you could start from the top of a cliff about 20 feet high.  It was a good ride.  On this particular day, all the guys climbed the rope and took a swing.  The weight of all the kids on the rope at one time caused the tree branch to break.  The ones near the bottom landed in the lake.  The ones near the top landed on the rocky shore.  There were hospital bills and a couple of them were seriously injured.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that has changed is that instagram is now how people let others know about their adventures.  Good or bad.

Feb 06 19 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Todd Meredith wrote:

Two things are infinite:
the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein

Mar 07 19 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Malloch wrote:
I have shot in dangerous and difficult circumstances, Congo Civil War, 1962/64 was the first, and a few after that. However, it was me taking the risk, I was not putting anyone else in the frame who was not aware of the risks, they were mercenaries who had signed up for this. At 76 I still have the scars and effects of the injuries and wounds i sustained then.
Malloch

You are my hero!

Not kidding... what you are describing was my dream job when I knew that at age 13, I want to be a photojournalist, just like that... I started photography 2 years earlier and grew up on the campus of the tv station ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen) in Germany as my father was with them since the year they were founded and was on a current news reporting team.

Long story, but yeah... smile

Mar 07 19 10:31 pm Link