Forums > Photography Talk > Why do YOU make photographs?

Photographer

Joel Belmont

Rochester, Washington, US

It seems to me the reasons people make photographs would either be:

1) Recognition/fame... entering contests.... having gallery shows, etc
2) To make money at something you love
3) Profound creative fulfillment

I'd love to hear your honest reason for why you make images...

Feb 20 19 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

To get a concept out of my head so there is room for more concepts. Or if I don't then I'll die, or at least, hope that I die. To shoot is to live, all else is just waiting.

Feb 20 19 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Depends, sometimes it is to show other people what I saw -
https://www.deviantart.com/dcurtis/art/ … -718522690
https://www.deviantart.com/dcurtis/art/ … -592435506

Most of the time, I am practicing photography to get better. And the photographs are just a by product of that.

I took up photography so I could produce decent images to illustrate my stories.

I have been busy working on the story, I haven't really had time to do photography.

The story is fantastic, and you should buy it when it comes out. I am finding myself missing photography.

Feb 20 19 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

It's easier than drawing (for me anyway).

Feb 20 19 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Because as a bass player for several decades I got tired of relying on a bunch of lazy ass bozo's to get stuff done.
Photography came in for me when my being a gigging musician was going out.
Whatever the psychological underlying reasons, it all bleeds from the same vein for me.

All the drive of the music just became all the drive as a photographer.
in an overthought way each image is a song? I dunno I thrive on attention.

Feb 20 19 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

it's my creative side of me that am interested in a shoot, from concept to styling to editing. If fun looking for clothes or accessories to compliment the shoot. Now my place is full of stuff that my friends think I am a hoarder, yes I pick up furniture too. I keep saying I should stop buying but everytime I see something interesting, my mind goes frenzy to create a concept.
Only thing I wish my place is bigger.

Feb 20 19 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Work stuff I shoot mostly to meet new people.  I am not particularly creative but I like making friends so I try my best to shoot so I can make new friends.   

The hobbiest part of me loves to shoot girls and landscapes.  It's pretty peaceful to get up at 4am to shoot the dawn and I enjoy that.  The girls are always a treat to shoot when I get the time.  Most of the time I am too old to get too much interest back from the girls but occasionally I get to treat them out for dinner at Shakeys or mcdonalds after a shoot as well.

I love going to group shoots as well and making friends to other photographers.  There are a lot of group shoots here in Philippines and they aren't too expensive.  Usually $15-$40 for nude shoots.

Later this year I was thinking of grabbing a model or two and doing some travels shoots.  Just around my country.  Not sure if it will really happen.  But it's the dream right now.

Feb 21 19 01:23 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

"3) Profound creative fulfillment "

A) I like "capturing the moment" (circus, performance art photography)
B) I like finding a "hidden-in-plain-view" composition out of what might at first look like a generic street/nature scene. (urban/nature photography)
C) I like the human figure (nude photography. Also, circus, music, dance)

D) I would also like to make money. I'm at a pro level. But, I'm not sure I have the contacts/mentors to move in that direction:

Weddings? I don't think I'd like that.

Band promotional material? Probably not a big market.

Product, architecture? Probably doable and profitable, if I knew a route in.

Feb 21 19 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

I used to produce, but I haven't produced in seven years, so I'm rusty as hell.

I guess I don't know what else I could do.

Too lazy to paint, draw, or sculpt.

Feb 21 19 07:17 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Joel Belmont wrote:

yup

Feb 21 19 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

#3 98%
#2 1.5%
#1 0.5%

Feb 21 19 10:48 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

to please some and piss the rest off I guess

I can't draw or  paint so I take up mechanical means to please and piss off

.. and I can do it solo.. well..with a model or two..but I do not need a theater or band or whatever

Feb 21 19 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's been a life-long compulsion . . .

Feb 21 19 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Recognition/fame was a big factor when I was shooting for a newspaper. Liked seeing my name credited and even more when my more elaborate captions were elevated to article status. Even better when, even as much as a year later, people would approach me and compliment me on a particular photo assignment. Not a major factor in my beauty photography, though it's nice to hear compliments from models and fellow photographers.

I'm not shooting beauty to make money, so no. Was nice when I was doing a lot of high school senior portraits and corporate work.

Almost completely this, on multiple levels.

Problem-solving. I approach each shoot as a problem or puzzle to be solved and solving it is immensely fun. Each venue is different. Each model is different. Each shoot throws me some sort of curveball. And photography provides a clear proof and hard record of the problem-solving (or failure thereof).

Pressure to perform. Overcoming the fear astronaut Alan Shepherd expressed before his Mercury launch, "Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up."  It was even more intense when shooting sports or many events for a newspaper. No do-overs.

Networking. Networking with creative, enthusiastic people in a common interest.

Feb 21 19 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I am 100 percent sports photographer now.  Shoots 15 different college sports and about 100 games per school year.  Every game is a challenge.  Every play is a challenge and I love it!  Model photography?  Boring by comparison.  Don't really bother with it anymore.

Feb 21 19 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Photography is my creative outlet.
Besides models I photograph other things such as landscapes.

Feb 21 19 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mantographer

Atlanta, Georgia, US

An evil fairy cursed me with a passion for photographing naked men

Feb 21 19 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

There is no why.

Feb 21 19 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

It's Fun!  And at 82, how many fun things are left?

Feb 21 19 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Because I like Naked Women in front of my camera... nah seriously... Making images is an art form of creating something from nothing and an art form that is somewhat portable but also carries a dynamic range of processing.
I started as a kid shooting 35mm and in the family darkroom and I never stopped, even now that I have also graduated to a digital darkroom of sorts.
Making photographs is a creative outlet that has no limits.

Feb 23 19 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I started taking photographs to record images for drawings.
Then I got sucked in and pursued photography.
Music has always been my first and foremost creative outlet and by no small margin.

Drawing fell by the wayside, perhaps someday photography will do the same.

Primarily I am currently photographing items that I am selling, another hobby is buying cool stuffs cheap and making side money selling them. Here and there, now and then, I will work with a model or shoot a performance. I am starting to work with a local burlesque troupe, documenting their performances. We have a Circus Guild here too with some interesting performers.

In the end, music is much more fullfilling for me creatively, that well never runs dry.
Others find their happy place creating images or cooking or whatever it is they choose.

As to why I make photographs, I find that difficult to express in words so I will just say "because I do."

Feb 24 19 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Alec Dealty

Denver, Colorado, US

Feb 24 19 10:14 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

Because I can't sing or dance.

Feb 24 19 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Well, mainly, it's my job.  I'm either creating classic style portraits or covering some corporate event which may include headshots but a lot of other things as well.  It's rare that I get anytime to create images for myself.  I use to have more time before but it's been really difficult lately.  Not complaining, but what I shoot for pay is not what really drives me. 

I don't even know how I got here.  It was never a passion of mine growing up.  I just took a Photo 101 class at a local jr. college and the teacher liked how I went above and beyond the assignments and said I should consider photography as a profession  and look into going to Daytona Comm. College (Southeast Center for Photographic Studies) which has a really good pro photo program. Not just "photo classes"  Looked into it.  Loved it.  Went. And I've been shooting ever since. That was over 30 years ago.

I think I liked ads in magazines mostly and wanted to do that.  And did.  I shot commercially for the first 15 years of my career.    Seeing my work in a national magazine, several actually, was/is pretty cool.  Now I shoot more event and portrait work.  I miss the commercial shooting. I need to try and get back into it.  It's really what I love most.  But man, it is not easy these days.  But in my town, there is a ton of corporate event work.  Especially this time of year.  Not my favorite but the pay is good.

Feb 25 19 02:41 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
To shoot is to live, all else is just waiting.

This is really good, so good that I borrowed it for a recent social media post, in quotations of coarse.

Feb 25 19 02:58 am Link

Photographer

DCurtis

Gary Davis wrote:
It's easier than drawing (for me anyway).

It's much easier for me also. Most graphic novels are illustrated with drawings. Because of a spinal cord injury, that is not an option for me.

Feb 25 19 06:16 am Link

Photographer

FEN RIR Photo

Westminster, Colorado, US

I don't know anymore. It used to be fun!

Mar 03 19 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

My job is very dry a d boring, so photography is my creative escape.

Also enjoy the slightly taboo nature of a guerrilla nature shoot.

And, the teamwork and clear roles of all involved.

Mar 04 19 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

1. Document, organize, and reflect on my impressions of the world and reactions to it - a sort of visual journal.
2. Communicate with other people.

Mar 04 19 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Ken Ingham Photography

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I do photos for several reasons. 
1. I like the challenge of figuring out how to make what I am seeing appear in the camera and communicate this to the viewer.  This sounds simple, but it is not, probably because I tend to tie in #2 below.
2. I love exploring the interaction of light and shape (chiaroscuro).  I usually use one or more models for this, but my passion for this extends beyond the human body.  (My MM profile is old, as are all other web portfolios, but it does give a glimpse of this.)
3. I enjoy going into caves.  They are amazing and very different from anything you will find on the surface.  I get to go to places few will ever see and bring back images to show them the fragile beauty.  (see keninghamphoto.com)  Hopefully, this will encourage conservation, because caves are a non-renewable resource (on a human time scale).

I do make some money at photography (more than enough to cover expenses and keep the IRS happy), but I really dislike marketing.  If nobody knows you exist, they will not hire you.

Mar 05 19 08:37 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

I love to capture that unique visual moment that I wish to memorize =  I have felt that way for decades. for starters  But there are more....

Mar 05 19 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

RichardH

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Creative outlet.

I shoot mostly landscape and wildlife.  I have not photographed a model in a while.

I love getting into my 4WD, getting into the bush , on my own or with my ladyfriend and just enjoying the peace and quiet.

Taking photographs is my way of showing others what they maybe missing missing.  Sometimes my cameras stay in my bag because some places are so beautiful I just want to enjoy them without having to work.  Sometimes beautiful photographs are the bonus, not the reason.

Mar 09 19 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Because I haven't taken the perfect photograph yet. All the photos I have taken so far have been practice - one day I'll get the ultimate image.

Besides, we don't want the models to starve, do we?

Mar 09 19 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Sometimes for fun.  Sometims for money.  Sometimes it can be both at the same time

Mar 10 19 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

When I was in 6th grade, the vice-president of the US came to town to campaign for candidates in the non-presidential year election.

Everyone in my class was assigned to write a paper about his appearance at the fairgrounds. I waited to everyone else had picked a topic, and the teacher asked for mine.

I said, “I hate to write. Can I take pictures instead?” Because there weren’t many topics left (except whether the VP wore flat or round shoelaces), she said yes.

Ironically, I majored in journalism, and I love to write now (although I don’t have much time for writing).

I was using a plastic twin-lens reflex that cost me $5.99 with Sylvania Press 25 flashbulbs. Since the camera had a fixed shutter speed (probably about 1/30 second), and the VP was moving pretty fast as he moved down the rope line, all of the photos were blurred.

So I walked to the grocery store a few blocks from my house and bought copies of Popular Photography, Modern Photography and US Camera and read them from cover to cover, trying to find what went wrong.

Then I read every book on photography (some of them twice) in the Tulsa Public Library.

Long before that point, I was hooked.

I got my first “real” camera (a Yashica-Mat tlr) when I was 12 or 13, a summer job in a camera store when I was 14, and a paid internship in photography at the local afternoon newspaper when I was 15, the summer before I started high school, worked as a photographer (photojournalism then fashion) for 17 years, made a career change, then came back to photography in 2011.

It just doesn’t seem right not to make photos. I enjoy it immensely. It’s my escape from the real world, fulfills my artistic nature, and has never stopped providing a challenge to improve my art and craft.

My curse is being a perfectionist without the ability to be perfect. I’ve made hundreds of thousands of photos, and I have yet to make one in which I wouldn’t change something if I could.

Mar 16 19 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

To help me remember the things l have seen and done.

Mar 17 19 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

I used to want to be a fiction writer. Then I found photography. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. But then you realize every great picture is a thousand words in the making. The character someone brings to the table, the production, the history, that moment... as a photographer every shutter click says, here is this story I found.

Mar 28 19 08:53 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Joel Belmont wrote:

I'd love to hear your honest reason for why you make images...

If I don't take photos often I get sad 😢

Apr 08 19 10:03 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

FEN RIR Photo wrote:
I don't know anymore. It used to be fun!

Same here...haha. Sometimes still it can be quite fun for me, but otherwise I just see it as a job that I do for money.

Apr 08 19 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Sometimes for money

Sometimes to document something

Sometimes to make art

Sometimes, I accidentally push the trigger, especially with my phone camera.

Apr 08 19 01:56 pm Link