Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Chicago Female Seeking Advice: 5'8 104 lbs

Model

Veronica Noelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hello,
I am new to the world of modelling and ready to take the plunge. I'm 5'8 104 lbs and recently turned mid 20s. Some have told me to submit snapshots to modelling agencies but am I too short or too old?

I'm seeking to build my portfolio ASAP. Do any of you more experienced professionals have any advice for me? Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I'm still learning the ropes of MM.
Thank you!

Feb 23 19 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Veronica Noelle wrote:

Disclaimer: Not an experienced Professional,  just a MM hack.

Some helpful info here - https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … -polaroids

Feb 23 19 02:13 pm Link

Model

Veronica Noelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Disclaimer: Not an experienced Professional,  just a MM hack.

Some helpful info here - https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/m … -polaroids

Very educational. Thank you for pointing me into that direction.

Hmm... Now I need to decide if I should do this with my white walls (that could use a brighter coat of off-white paint).

Feb 23 19 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Veronica Noelle wrote:
Hello,
I am new to the world of modelling and ready to take the plunge. I'm 5'8 104 lbs and recently turned 26. Some have told me to submit snapshots to modelling agencies but am I too short or too old?

I'm seeking to build my portfolio ASAP. Do any of you more experienced professionals have any advice for me? Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I'm still learning the ropes of MM.
Thank you!

My advice to you is to post in the critique forum:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/8

Feb 23 19 05:24 pm Link

Model

Veronica Noelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Thank you! I will do that. Should I post this same post question in there? I wonder if I should post this question in the critique forum or in the general industry forum?

Feb 23 19 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

This person has great advice and a book worth buying:  https://books.google.com/books?id=E8lZC … mp;f=false

Chicago has a lot of commercial opportunities.  I suggest gathering some good commercial images.   Examples of commercial photos would be doing yoga or playing catch with a child or a sport.   Nothing wrong with having strong fashion photos but agencies tend to want to have you shoot with approved photographers and that may cost.   Lots of talent folks here to practice with also.  I suggest having your make up done for any planned shoot.  This is actually more important then the clothes.  However its important to find things that fit well and show your figure at its best.   Here are a few agencies here:   https://thehhub.com/2018/08/20/modeling … s-chicago/   Go on FORD's website to see photos of their commercial models. 

Remember you don't need pro shots to try and get to be seen by an agency for fashion.   Sadly at 26 ,fashion may not be an option by again commercial is.   I would start by going to see the agencies here.   Most have a open call day.   Take a few basic clear photos of yourself.  Little to no make-up.   Solid color clothing.   No jewelry.   I won't call anyone out but we have a few shady 'agencies' here who will try and get you to invest lots of $$$ on photos.

Feb 23 19 07:09 pm Link

Model

Veronica Noelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
This person has great advice and a book worth buying:  https://books.google.com/books?id=E8lZC … mp;f=false

Chicago has a lot of commercial opportunities.  I suggest gathering some good commercial images.   Examples of commercial photos would be doing yoga or playing catch with a child or a sport.   Nothing wrong with having strong fashion photos but agencies tend to want to have you shoot with approved photographers and that may cost.   Lots of talent folks here to practice with also.  I suggest having your make up done for any planned shoot.  This is actually more important then the clothes.  However its important to find things that fit well and show your figure at its best.   Here are a few agencies here:   https://thehhub.com/2018/08/20/modeling … s-chicago/   Go on FORD's website to see photos of their commercial models. 

Remember you don't need pro shots to try and get to be seen by an agency for fashion.   Sadly at 26 ,fashion may not be an option by again commercial is.   I would start by going to see the agencies here.   Most have a open call day.   Take a few basic clear photos of yourself.  Little to no make-up.   Solid color clothing.   No jewelry.   I won't call anyone out but we have a few shady 'agencies' here who will try and get you to invest lots of $$$ on photos.

Thank you. Good advice. Would taking "polaroid" pictures of myself on an iphone and printing them  (matte or glossy?) be enough or is that too basic to bring into an agency?

Feb 23 19 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Agencies are used to seeing very basic shots of new models.   http://nouszine.nousmodels.com/how-to-t … -digitals/    Good lighting is key.   Avoid harsh overhead light or sun.   The best time of day is usual late afternoon.   Do not use ANY Photoshop by the way.   I feel its wise to make sure your skin looks its best before shooting.   Also make sure your eyebrows look good and remove any facial hair.   (not that you have any just a general point.)   The link I have given points out to pose in simple clothing.   Nothing fancy or that distracts from you.   Make sure all photos are sharp.  You have a million dollar smile so use it.

Feb 23 19 07:50 pm Link

Model

Veronica Noelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Agencies are used to seeing very basic shots of new models.   http://nouszine.nousmodels.com/how-to-t … -digitals/    Good lighting is key.   Avoid harsh overhead light or sun.   The best time of day is usual late afternoon.   Do not use ANY Photoshop by the way.   I feel its wise to make sure your skin looks its best before shooting.   Also make sure your eyebrows look good and remove any facial hair.   (not that you have any just a general point.)   The link I have given points out to pose in simple clothing.   Nothing fancy or that distracts from you.   Make sure all photos are sharp.  You have a million dollar smile so use it.

Thank you. I read that the digital photos are supposed to be one front, one full body, and one side-shot, according to what I've seen from online modelling agencies submissions. I love smiling in photos but I read on some submissions that they tell you not to smile. Hmm... I won't wear any make-up, I have great skin, but I unfortunately have somewhat dark circles that I inherited...

Feb 23 19 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Veronica Noelle wrote:
Thank you! I will do that. Should I post this same post question in there? I wonder if I should post this question in the critique forum or in the general industry forum?

You say that you want to build your portfolio. If you want any advice about your current portfolio, you must ask in the critique forum.

Veronica Noelle wrote:
I'm seeking to build my portfolio ASAP. Do any of you more experienced professionals have any advice for me?

Feb 23 19 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Yep, my advice would be to come to Florida and shoot with everyone named "SOS" Miss V  .  .  .  wink  Wonderful look, I'm sure if you take a look at the suggestions above that they'll be very helpful  .  .  .  but, if you're ever in Florida (again), keep me in mind, you've got an open invite!

SOS

Feb 24 19 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm mostly guessing here but I suspect the OP doesn't have a portfolio per se but more a collection of photos taken on vacation and for fun.   She is looking to get going and is looking for people to work with.   Having a critique of her current photos may do her little good.   It might only serve to possibly discourage her.   She's pretty, thin and has a million dollar simile and my guess is she will find plenty of good willing photographers to work with her.   I would only add models who stand a chance of being signed should focus first on local agencies in their city.   See what they have to say and then proceed.

While doing this work with local photographers, MUA and others.

Feb 24 19 09:24 am Link

Model

Veronica Noelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I'm mostly guessing here but I suspect the OP doesn't have a portfolio per se but more a collection of photos taken on vacation and for fun.   She is looking to get going and is looking for people to work with.   Having a critique of her current photos may do her little good.   It might only serve to possibly discourage her.   She's pretty, thin and has a million dollar simile and my guess is she will find plenty of good willing photographers to work with her.   I would only add models who stand a chance of being signed should focus first on local agencies in their city.   See what they have to say and then proceed.

While doing this work with local photographers, MUA and others.

Yes, unfortunately I do not have a portfolio yet. Most of my photos are either pictures someone else took with an iPhone or typical "selfies".

Thank you, Tony. I am going to take a look at some of the agencies in Chicago and contemplate where to take my "polaroid" pictures. Do you have experience with any that might be best for me to target first (feel free to message me about it but I understand you are busy and cannot emphasize how I value your time).

Dilemma: Where I live, the ivory colored walls have do not receive direct, natural light from the windows unfortunately... I am trying to figure out where/how to take the digital "polaroids" given this.

Feb 24 19 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

sweet gamine

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Veronica Noelle wrote:
Dilemma: Where I live, the ivory colored walls have do not receive direct, natural light from the windows unfortunately... I am trying to figure out where/how to take the digital "polaroids" given this.

You can shoot using the exterior wall of a building.

Feb 24 19 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I wouldn't bother with critique yet, (things can get pretty brutal there sometimes) probably best bet would be for you to contact a moderator (help button in the upper right corner of your screen) and ask them to move the thread to the general industry forum, where you'll get more of a play.there.
Then I'd suggest you put up a casting notice asking for photographers to shoot TFP with you to build both your portfolios, and if they don't come to you, you go to them, browse the photographers in you area and contact the ones whose work coincides with your goals.
And while you're there check out the casting notices for models.
Good luck!

Feb 24 19 03:11 pm Link