Forums > General Industry > Cancellation fees

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

Do cancellation fees apply to anyone within the industry once a shoot is scheduled? If a photographer cancels on a model, he/she may be expected to pay some or the entire agreed upon fee. If a model cancels, should she pay fees associated with a studio or other expenses related to a shoot? If  MUA cancels, should he/she pay a fee in the event that a concept can not be executed without makeup?

I would hope that anyone expressing a cancellation fee would take into account elements such as inclement weather, or other events out of the control of all involved.

If you choose to respond, please NO drama, as I wrote this as a genuine question relating to the general principle/practice of cancellation fees.

Mar 04 19 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

You've covered the contingencies well.
If your shoot agreement incudes your documented practices and the documented practices of others and something is missing in your opinion, the time to clarify that discrepency is prior to issuing payment/deposit.

There is no hard and fast standard that you can count on all participants adhering to, so be consistent and thorough in your own negotiaions to prevent misunderstandings.

Mar 04 19 11:41 am Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

It isn't necessary to have a cancellation fee, as long as their down payment is non-refundable.

You would have to devise a contract if you want to have a cancellation fee. It isn't automatically assumed. The terms of the contract can be tailored however you need them to be.

Mar 04 19 12:25 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

The info below may be helpful if you're looking to create a contract that includes a cancelation policy and associated fees but remember that any such terms and contracts should be written by a lawyer.
https://www.asmp.org/professional-devel … ons-forms/
https://thelawtog.com/use-deposit-retai … -contract/

Mar 04 19 12:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

BobBarford Photo wrote:
Do cancellation fees apply to anyone within the industry once a shoot is scheduled? If a photographer cancels on a model, he/she may be expected to pay some or the entire agreed upon fee. If a model cancels, should she pay fees associated with a studio or other expenses related to a shoot? If  MUA cancels, should he/she pay a fee in the event that a concept can not be executed without makeup?

I would hope that anyone expressing a cancellation fee would take into account elements such as inclement weather, or other events out of the control of all involved.

If you choose to respond, please NO drama, as I wrote this as a genuine question relating to the general principle/practice of cancellation fees.

Snow storm problems?

If you are planning a shoot in which weather can be a factor, then setting a date with a rain date contingency isn't a bad idea. 

There are human decency things to consider.  If the photographer was expecting someone to come to his home studio on the day of a snowstorm, and feels putout because the model didn't want to drive in the snow, then maybe he should have a little compassion.  Or make a decision in the days leading up to the shoot, to alter the shoot per the forecast. 

Maybe the model's flight was cancelled due to a storm and there are a couple of days worth of shoots lined up that aren't going to happen.

Or maybe you meet on location for a two hour shoot and there is a three hour rain storm.  The model set aside her time and showed up.  She is out income and expenses.  If the photographer wants to reschedule, but he doesn't do something to make her happy, will she reschedule? 

My personal experiences:  Once I called the model on the day of the shoot and suggested it was too cold and windy.  She thought it was okay.  I drove 2.5 hours one way.  I was early and orientating myself when I got the call that it was too cold and windy.  I did not get upset. I did not try to demand any fees.  I photographed birds for a while and went home.  Another time, a traveling model was in town and I was sick and contagious.  I gave the model the option of rescheduling or shooting as planned.  We put it off for a few days.  I was still sick when that day came around.  We cancelled.  From one perspective, the model canceled the shoot to preserve her health.  From the other perspective, I was sick and did I have the right to impose my illness on her? I did send her half her fee.  Maybe I should have sent all of it?  Or none of it?  But she has been willing to reschedule with me.  A third instance, again it was cold and wet and the model felt like she might be getting sick. To go ahead with my little shoot might have cost her several others. We canceled the shoot, I bought her lunch, I did not pay any other fees, but she would have been appreciative if I did.  Nor did I ask her for a cancelation fee.

I think it depends on the scenario.

Your MUA example complicates things.  Multiple people are impacted. But what is the scenario?

Mar 04 19 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

BobBarford Photo wrote:
If a model cancels, should she pay fees associated with a studio or other expenses related to a shoot?

Maybe it's just me, but I've never encountered a model who was willing to be held to a cancellation fee policy. If a cancellation policy was outlined, it always held the photographer liable. It was never reciprocal.

To keep things simple, I don't try to recoup from the model any expenditures lost to her dropping out and I don't work with models who charge cancellation fees or require deposits.

"Should" is whatever you can get all parties to agree to.

Mar 04 19 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

A cancellation fee would only apply if you signed a contract for that shoot that establishes it as a legal consequence of a cancellation.  Then the terms and conditions of whatever was signed in the contract would apply to that situation.  I charge my commercial clients a cancellation fee of 50% of my fees and expenses if rescheduled less than 24 hours in advance.

It would be rare for an MUA, stylist, or model to sign a contract for a commercial gig with another client.  The typical result is blackballing not trying to get a cancellation fee.

Mar 04 19 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

For me, cancelling is part of the game.  I get cancelled on more than I like to remember.  My policy is within 24 hours I still charge a sitting fee.

For commercial work where I hire a team I charge what we call a kill fee.  It is usually half the rate for anyone I hired for the day and a sitting fee for me. 

I do make considerations for regular clients, weather, acts of god.

Mar 04 19 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

A few thoughts. 

1.  A couple posts or their links mention that a non refundable deposit has advantages over a cancellation fee, one being collection.  I think this makes a lot of sense if you are charging for your services.   

2.  Nothing requires you to pay a deposit or agree to a cancellation fee a model proposes.  I’ve only done so once.  My overall opinion is I see no reason why I should be financially responsible for cancelling but a model should not.  Generally speaking, I don’t make such one sided agreements. 

3.   I think it’s unlikely you’ll get a internet model to pay you a deposit or agree to cancellation fee. 

4.   If you do and have an exemption for weather, deaths in the family, etc., you will probably experience many models who cancel because their  grandmother has recently and unexpectedly died (yet again). 

5.   My philosophy/strategy is to simply never invest anything in a shoot with an internet model I’m not happy to lose if the shoot falls through.   I don’t rent studio space pay for a MUA or give up anything important for a shoot.   If I was doing higher budget commercial shoots, I’d hire models through an agency rather than internet models and have some guarantees from that agency.

Mar 04 19 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

BobBarford Photo

York, Pennsylvania, US

I would like to thank everyone for their input so far. One point certainly resonates is that neither the photographer, model, or other team members have to agree to pay a deposit, unless of course it is within a signed contract.

Mar 05 19 05:18 am Link