Forums > Photography Talk > Working with Gels

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

For those who do it regularly, would you care to comment?

The main part is his take away, that working with gels is so tricky that it means really learning lighting. This is his last paragraph. Makes sense to a point, but I do not do gels enough to judge. I would suspect that Durrel style Noir would also require really, really knowing light.

This is from Jake Hicks.

*JHP Newsletter Number 29*
*February - March 2019*

Welcome and let's jump straight into this one.
I think it's probably fair to say that a lot of you here are following my work because you at least have a cursory interest in gelled lighting.
Now that doesn’t mean you're obsessed with coloured lighting like me, but it does mean you've probably given it a go at least once or twice. Maybe you loved it, maybe you found it tricky and maybe you weren't too happy with your results. No matter your level of interest in gelled lighting, I think we can all agree that it's pretty tricky to get consistently excellent results when working with gels.
So why bother struggling with gels? If it's too hard to get great looking gelled lighting shots, why not just stick to regular white-light shots?
Last month I had a one-to-one session with another photographer and they had asked me to show them some of my slightly softer, pastel looking gelled lighting setups from my Creatively Simple Lighting Workshop <http://2z68u.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/0UpYdteReCiFaJbPKwJqYytfqbl0boPQXwZM4menqqWyTGPwdW7cEj1_noaC3I-BIa7iT46Iis7z9CN8W6O3Mu9yQpQjDqFLRIlj-8-_DdHjnacYtysmdw0k-FHUpHyvebjvrNpptBn4jeiJF_bp4UbSKQ-YTKJo1j_iYYsdKkMfRqMZvD7YHz0FnFB8GdX629ai8h_pp3ScX1saFsFHOX3yr4Y>.
Below you'll see two shots of the raw, back of camera shots of what we setup and shot together that day. On the left is the pastel gelled setup I originally shot, but it's actually the right hand shot that I found most interesting.
After we'd shot the pastel gel setup, the photographer I was working with asked me if we could take the gels off of the lights and shoot it without the gels on. I was at first a little hesitant of his blatant heresy, because not only have I never shot this setup without gels, but I was very cautious as to what it would look like without them.

<http://2z68u.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/zsjVU4k1iXGVkeP2jNoOKa-iqLkrBthrXaOfM-kyF_Dd4g0FrMgcj_HwxvWSXr_N9ABWw2zk2hgn04sGjLfdUkTvMa9GymT4pzWsPIXXfZp3l2j04H1n03pVcSJ7A2RnxkpDuupx8UZsrAM0UL32Gs-lxYiGi_S4ntVpV1zMO4I_IasByR6MiebNALbQ0k0RrSgVOvqMNwL-P0YoANIxKnhRoTA>

/*On the left we have the regular pastel gels setup, and on the right is the exact same setup and settings... just minus the gels.*/

So what's so interesting about this? Well for me, it just proves how powerful gels can be when it comes to teaching you how to light. The gels on the left force you to be very accurate and considered with your light placement and modifier choice. I personally feel that it's these factors that are easily overlooked when we shoot with just white light alone.
*The Moral of the Story*
Get good at lighting with gels, and even if you decide to never use them again, your overall lighting craft will skyrocket. Gels are incredibly unforgiving, so if you can light a subject well with gels, you can very easily light with white light far more accurately.

Mar 19 19 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

If by “do it regularly,” you mean use gels during most shoots, I don’t. But here’s my $.02 anyway.

The smaller the highlight areas and the larger the shadows, the more precise the lighting placement needs to be. Imo, gels are used most effectively in small areas of highlights (like from rim lights). So the lighting placement needs to be fairly precise.

I’ve used gels more for coloring backgrounds than anything else. You can turn a white, gray or black background any color using gels. However, no matter which of those colors the background is, before you can do that (without getting muddy, washed-out colors), you first need to turn the background black.

That means that, when you shoot the subject with all lights on except the background light(s), the background should show up in the image as black. So you need to use distance from the background, barn doors, flags, V-flats or whatever to keep those lights from reaching the background before shooting with a gelled background.

Mar 19 19 05:53 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

We published an article by Jake that covers this topic.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/p … hotography

Mar 19 19 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Still would like user comments.
I have seen many an article on XYZ, where in my world things did not work out like XYZ. Even with things as straightforward as 'this button does this on your camera', which might actually work if you were starting with a camera at factory presets.

And thanks for the link to the edu.

Gels are an occasional thing with me. Usually do not work that well, but if it really is going to improve my overall lighting, then perhaps I need to do more.

Mar 19 19 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Rather difficult to comment without being able to see the images.  However, I suspect that his point is not so much that lighting with gels is trickier but rather that having different gels on different lights can help you distinguish what each light is actually contributing to the image which may be more difficult for the untrained eye to see with all white light.  If different colored light overlaps on the subject, it affects the color you see so you would have to be very careful to control that, something you may not focus on with all white light.  Being able to see this more distinctly and focus on it will help you with learning lighting.

Mar 19 19 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

As I've just received My first set I recently watched (and bookmarked) this vid by Daniel Norton on Gels for future reference.  His final images are quite good.

https://youtu.be/ajDiqdh1tQs

Thanks for sharing the info Herman et al, I'm really looking forward to seeing what mess I can create with mine  smile

Mar 20 19 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
As I've just received My first set I recently watched (and bookmarked) this vid by Daniel Norton on Gels for future reference.  His final images are quite good.

https://youtu.be/ajDiqdh1tQs

Thanks for sharing the info Herman et al, I'm really looking forward to seeing what mess I can create with mine  smile

Watched a couple of times over the last while.
Still have no clue what he said.
Too busy looking at Erica.   smile
Anybody else think Erica is stunning in the BTS stuff, but in the photos, not so much.
I am finding this a lot with Daniel's stuff, but he is far from the only one.
Must be the choice of lens and how close.

The et-al, are what makes MM still worth visiting.

I have tried experimenting, doing what is recommended and it never works out the same.
During experiments, the colour can be way too much, and yet during a shoot "where did the colour go?" Obviously it means I have not learned something and something is out of control. I have yet to figure it out.

Mar 20 19 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Herman Surkis wrote:
I have tried experimenting, doing what is recommended and it never works out the same.
During experiments, the colour can be way too much, and yet during a shoot "where did the colour go?" Obviously it means I have not learned something and something is out of control. I have yet to figure it out.

I haven’t seen your photos, but I’m guessing that the gelled light is a rim light.

One thing I have learned recently is that a rim light should provide LESS light on the model than the main light. To me, that’s totally counterintuitive, but it works.

Imagine that the model is standing in the middle of a circle, 5-feet in diameter, and you are viewing from this from above (which is difficult to do, when you’re standing on the floor and shooting).

Imagine two lines, one horizontal and one vertical, through the center of the circle, and the model is standing where the two lines intersect.

So you are standing directly in front of the model, at the bottom of the vertical line, on the edge of the circle. Your rim light is also on the edge of the circle and, of course, pointed toward the model.

There are four arcs of the circle, defined by the two lines.

If the light is on the horizontal line (90 degrees from the line between you and the model), it is a side light (not a rim light), so no adjustment is necessary to attain whatever ratio you’ve metered. (We’re assuming that you’re using a meter.)

As you move the light along the arc (toward the back of the circle and the background), theoretically, the amount of light from the rim light that reaches the model remains the same, because the distance hasn’t changed.

In fact, your meter will tell you that it’s the same.

However, the closer the light gets to the back of the circle, the more blown out the “rim” on the model becomes. As long as it’s a thin rim, the overexposure doesn’t seem blatant, and the brighter rim seems acceptable.

At the angles at which a rim light would normally be used, you want to power down the rim light by 1-2 stops (average: 1.5 stops) from what the meter says. The closer you get to the back of the circle (the point farthest from the photographer), the more you want to power it down.

Even though the rim light is powered lower than the main light, the rim will be brighter than the area lit by the main light, which is the purpose of the rim light.

This is something that I learned a few months ago from Tony Corbell. It sounds totally insane, and it defies everything that is taught about lighting – but it works.

If you’re using a rim light, and you aren’t powering it down, with a gel, the color will be washed out.

For your next experiment, why don’t you try this and bracket by half-stops from the metered exposure to two stops under and see what happens?

Mar 20 19 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Camerosity wrote:
For your next experiment, why don’t you try this and bracket by half-stops from the metered exposure to two stops under and see what happens?

Yep seems to work.
(that is what happens when you have a reliable, always at you disposal model, who can hold the same pose forever.)

Slightly front or sidelight a deep rich colour with no blown areas.
As I went back to backlight > rim> knife edge rim, the colour de-saturated and I started get blown areas. As I dropped the amount of light 1.5-2 stops, the blown out areas disappeared and the colours became saturated again.

Yep, counter intuitive.
Same distance, same exposure.
Apparently not so.

Thanks

Was this from one of his PPA courses?

Mar 20 19 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Herman Surkis wrote:
Yep seems to work.
(that is what happens when you have a reliable, always at you disposal model, who can hold the same pose forever.)

Slightly front or sidelight a deep rich colour with no blown areas.
As I went back to backlight > rim> knife edge rim, the colour de-saturated and I started get blown areas. As I dropped the amount of light 1.5-2 stops, the blown out areas disappeared and the colours became saturated again.

Yep, counter intuitive.
Same distance, same exposure.
Apparently not so.

Thanks

Was this from one of his PPA courses?

No. It was from one of his Creative Live courses. I have six of his CL courses.  I was jumping around from one course to another, looking for something else, when I saw that. Apparently it went right over my head the first time around. I don't recall which course it was in.

It's been a while since I've had a model who was always available on short notice.

You know that Tony used to share a studio with (and often assisted) the late Dean Collins in San Diego back in the 1990s, right? I can't think of anyone who's still alive who has a better grasp of the craft of lighting (and always nailing the exposure within 1/10 of a stop, usually on the first shot) than Tony.

Btw, for some reason, it seems to me that you used to live in Cincinnati. Have you moved?

Mar 20 19 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I loved Gels and Fog.

I miss it.

Mar 20 19 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Camerosity wrote:
No. It was from one of his Creative Live courses. I have six of his CL courses.  I was jumping around from one course to another, looking for something else, when I saw that. Apparently it went right over my head the first time around. I don't recall which course it was in.

It's been a while since I've had a model who was always available on short notice.

You know that Tony used to share a studio with (and often assisted) the late Dean Collins in San Diego back in the 1990s, right? I can't think of anyone who's still alive who has a better grasp of the craft of lighting (and always nailing the exposure within 1/10 of a stop, usually on the first shot) than Tony.

Btw, for some reason, it seems to me that you used to live in Cincinnati. Have you moved?

Never lived in Cincinnati. And not likely anybody with my name.

My always ready model is a little stiff when it come to posing, but does not complain much.
Full mannequin at home, for those emergency tests. (also one at the studio.)

Yep to Dean. And Tony.

He also now sells a lot of stuff on his site, and it is free on PPA site.
Missed his free stuff on creative live.
Most of the the stuff I see goes over my head and especially out of my head when I need it.

Mar 20 19 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

PhillipM wrote:
I loved Gels and Fog.

I miss it.

Still do. Need to use more, except they are too uncontrollable, unless you use them enough to really get it. And gels are more controllable than smoke/fog.

Mar 20 19 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Camerosity wrote:
<snip to get to the main point>
However, the closer the light gets to the back of the circle, the more blown out the “rim” on the model becomes.

This is because as you move the light towards the back, you get more direct reflection which is stronger than the diffuse reflection you get from the front or side.

Mar 20 19 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I use gels in every shoot. Studio or location. They are my color palette.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171003/05/59d37ff9b0e6c.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/181112/08/5be9aad35e44a.jpg

And that's because I come from a moving picture background, in which every light is pretty much gelled in some manner.

Mar 20 19 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
I use gels in every shoot. Studio or location. They are my color palette.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171003/05/59d37ff9b0e6c.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/181112/08/5be9aad35e44a.jpg

And that's because I come from a moving picture background, in which every light is pretty much gelled in some manner.

Today with the new software, a lot of what you did can be done in post.
But you learned how to do it right.

Why I keep recommending that if people really want to learn lighting, they should pay close attention to movies, and learn from the craftsmen doing the lighting for movies. Yes there are differences, but not as many as some would think. You can get more drama etc. for a still subject, because you do not have to light for where it is now and where it will be in a moment. But otherwise...

Mar 21 19 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

Herman Surkis wrote:

Still do. Need to use more, except they are too uncontrollable, unless you use them enough to really get it. And gels are more controllable than smoke/fog.

Smoke and fog can be controlled better using movie smoke machines and fog instead of photography stuff. The bad news is it's oil base and leaves residue everywhere.  The good news is you can make fog anywhere and it stays there pretty well, even in light breeze.  It's also a lot more expensive than the rosco smoke machines.

Mar 22 19 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

The best ideas and tips are useless if you cannot remember anything when you are actually shooting.
During the shoot crap. Total waste of time.

During cleanup decided to leave a couple of lights up and run some gel tests.

1.5 hours later with my faithful patient model Mandy (mannequin). It is brilliant. But does point out how easy it is to go wrong. And As Hicks says, gels are very, very unforgiving, and I could instantly see where I was getting unwanted spill and crossover.
But it is not as difficult as I make it, if one remembers a few points before the shoot, not after the shoot.
Like do Not let the gelled areas get contaminated by white light. Or any other light.
Set up the gels and expose for the gels. Any other lights have to fit in to the gelled exposure.
If you are going to mix white and gelled light, you had better be careful, and you had better be good at flagging the lights.

And mostly, you need to remember what you need to do during the shoot.

Mar 26 19 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

I don't know, but I remember when gels where used for industrial shoots and got super played out. Now they are all the rage again for portraits. When done well quite beautiful.

Ironically, when done well they remind me of old black and white movies. Like, Alfred Hitchcock films where you had to create depth with light because there was no color to save you. Although later on they had technicolor but still chose to shoot in black and white. Lighting creating depth.  Current well executed gel techniques remind me of monochrome is what I'm saying. Precision.

Mar 28 19 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I am not really sure what the question is, but I enjoy using gels.

Studying color theory will give you some ideas on what gel combinations work well together.
Green background, orange subject
Blue background, yellow rim light
etc.

Use colors to show the environment influencing the subject.  Is it golden hour with orange on the horizon?  Is it winter with blue sky overhead?  Is it the glow of a fireplace?  Is it a glowing TV light?  Is it a bar with a neon sign nearby?

Colors can be very saturated and sciencefictiony. (keep stray light away so it stays pure)   Or they can be pastel and subtle.  (bouncing white light off a colored surface gives nice pastel look.)

You can use the gel on a small area and use global temperature changes to affect the whole scene.  For example put the camera in tungsten mode and then put CTO on the strobes.   

The surface you are shooting also responds to different colored light.  Try shooting a blue gel at blue paper to get a super saturated blue background.  But a red light aimed at the same paper will be absorbed and the result will be black.

Have fun washing out the colors selectively.  Try putting a blue gel on a fill light and leave your main light white.   The result will be the main light overpowers the blue everywhere it touches, but the shadows will be blue.

Gelled light can be tricky to meter.  Back in the bad old film days I kept reference slides for each color gel.  Red was a pain - meter recommendation would be off by about 3 stops.  This is not such a problem now with instant digital feedback.

Mar 29 19 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

The original question, sort of, was do people who work with gels feel this is true...

"Get good at lighting with gels, and even if you decide to never use them again, your overall lighting craft will skyrocket. Gels are incredibly unforgiving, so if you can light a subject well with gels, you can very easily light with white light far more accurately."

However the whole thread has become an edu course on working with gels.
Cool, but adds more work to my life.  wink

I am going to spend an afternoon experimenting. To hopefully get better.
Getting good at all the suggestions would take the better part of a year.

Mar 29 19 04:50 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I bought a Sekonic L-858D-U meter and asked some tech questions about using it and HSS.  Ended up on their emailing list and got these about using gels.  Found them interesting and passing them along.

https://youtu.be/gMrr0fRAC5c

https://youtu.be/D2sYNwXga54

Nov 12 19 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

GRMACK wrote:
I bought a Sekonic L-858D-U meter and asked some tech questions about using it and HSS.  Ended up on their emailing list and got these about using gels.  Found them interesting and passing them along.

https://youtu.be/gMrr0fRAC5c

https://youtu.be/D2sYNwXga54

The problem with those videos is that he is using incident light metering on a white background. I used to make the same mistake and my photos where not as saturated as I wanted them. And I had to make a lot of adjustments and wasted time doing so to get the desired saturation. So, I watched a video of Dean Collins and he explains that you have to use reflective light metering to turn any color background to 18% gray. That way your gels would be the right color. If you want more saturation, you simply underexpose.

Nov 12 19 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

These just turned up in my inbox.

https://jakehicksphotography.com/latest … ls-exposed

https://jakehicksphotography.com/latest … ackgrounds

https://jakehicksphotography.com/latest … background

There are others. But I find Jake tends to be the most concise.

"So, I watched a video of Dean Collins... "

Famous last words from people who have a lighting problem that they want to fix. And then they fix it.

Nov 12 19 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Here is the video I watched and it explains everything. I recommend watching it over and over again until you understand that Dean Collins is right. It all comes down to the two types of light metering: incident and reflective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZRXeapj3o

The first two minutes are very important and also pay closer attention at 10:00 minute.

Nov 12 19 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Voy wrote:
Here is the video I watched and it explains everything. I recommend watching it over and over again until you understand that Dean Collins is right. It all comes down to the two types of light metering: incident and reflective.

The first two minutes are very important and also pay closer attention at 10:00 minute.

I have most of Deans' stuff, bought and downloaded. Between Dean and "Light:Science and Magic", almost everything lighting can be answered. However i need to see the same info. repeated several times in various ways till it clicks. Thus I look at others stuff

Nov 12 19 03:43 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Voy wrote:

Thanks Voy for the Dean Collin's link.  I watched all of it.

I've shot with dark backgrounds in film days with gels and liked how the darker background added a vignette verses using a white background which was more even - and the white always got dirty!  The dark one also showed paper ripples which was an issue as no Photoshop then using film.  Exposure was basically "It looks good enough" given that the flash units were WYSIWYG then per Paul Buff's tracking of modeling lights along with the flash (Was he pioneer of that WYSIWYG back then? I forget.  Most large studio units flash power then were by switches or jacks, and the modeling light was a dimmer which may differ from the flash.  I think Paul combined them to make it WYSIWYG, but he never patented anything as I recall and other followed.).

Back on topic, Jake Hick's does a good explanation of gels using a dark or white background here:   https://www.diyphotography.net/backgrou … grey-white  He basically underexposes a couple of stops.  The guy in the two video links I posted raises the main light over that of the background gels so same idea as Collins and Hicks of under-exposing the gels.  Plus, he uses incident as he is searching for the hot spot of the main ungelled light for the model to stay within which would be hard for a reflective to do on her body (I do like all his Profoto gear - 3 mains!) and he makes it look easy.  Actually, I think Sekonic likes you to "retract the meter's dome" when reading the gelled head directly and using it unretracted for the combined flashes.  The second video with the red gel on white is saturated to the point I thought it was painted.

I did have a recent play with gels from a theatrical swatch book and found a Lee #285 and #366 could be used together and make a neutral white in the middle.  Sort of interesting as below.
https://cdn.mu-43.com/attachments/flash-gels-jpg.729770/

Nov 13 19 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

GRMACK wrote:

Thanks Voy for the Dean Collin's link.  I watched all of it.

I've shot with dark backgrounds in film days with gels and liked how the darker background added a vignette verses using a white background which was more even - and the white always got dirty!  The dark one also showed paper ripples which was an issue as no Photoshop then using film.  Exposure was basically "It looks good enough" given that the flash units were WYSIWYG then per Paul Buff's tracking of modeling lights along with the flash (Was he pioneer of that WYSIWYG back then? I forget.  Most large studio units flash power then were by switches or jacks, and the modeling light was a dimmer which may differ from the flash.  I think Paul combined them to make it WYSIWYG, but he never patented anything as I recall and other followed.).

Back on topic, Jake Hick's does a good explanation of gels using a dark or white background here:   https://www.diyphotography.net/backgrou … grey-white  He basically underexposes a couple of stops.  The guy in the two video links I posted raises the main light over that of the background gels so same idea as Collins and Hicks of under-exposing the gels.  Plus, he uses incident as he is searching for the hot spot of the main ungelled light for the model to stay within which would be hard for a reflective to do on her body (I do like all his Profoto gear - 3 mains!) and he makes it look easy.  Actually, I think Sekonic likes you to "retract the meter's dome" when reading the gelled head directly and using it unretracted for the combined flashes.  The second video with the red gel on white is saturated to the point I thought it was painted.

I did have a recent play with gels from a theatrical swatch book and found a Lee #285 and #366 could be used together and make a neutral white in the middle.  Sort of interesting as below.
https://cdn.mu-43.com/attachments/flash-gels-jpg.729770/

I recommend getting the Rosco CalColor kit. They are calibrated to "Cancel" each other out when combined properly. For example Yellow and Blue cancel each other out, Green and Magenta cancel each other out, and Cyan and Red cancel each other out. It is basically the same thing your camera does with the white balance. Like when shooting on tungsten lighting, your camera will add blue because the light is yellow. For fluorescent lighting your camera will add magenta because the light is green.

Nov 13 19 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

My main use for gels is to match a flash to the ambient light.

One thing I've found is that in some cases I prefer the colors you get when you might lighting, but with the intent of making it look as normal as possible.

As far as colored lighting in photos, I prefer using LED lights that are either red, green, blue or UV,

I find the opposite is true in that what's the point of using colors if you're not going to really use them. Go crazy and be reckless with them. That's when it's the most interesting. Overlapping and getting colors from blending is really cool. I've found that I tend to like faces left alone, either natural or just a mild shade, like yellow or amber. Green skin almost never works.

The other thing that's really interesting is using colored lights or gels and then converting to B&W. It can make for some really amazing contrast.

One last thing I've found can be really helpful is an ultra contrast filter. I like them for all sorts of things. The slight reduction in contrast cuts the saturation slightly and that can keep it in a range the sensor is better able to handle.

Nov 20 19 12:11 am Link