Forums > Newbie Forum > Checking if this is a scam. What do you think?

Photographer

TapOnIt

San Jose, California, US

Mitsu Tsuchiya <[email protected]>
Thu, May 16, 9:26 AM (2 days ago)
to me

Hello, I saw a link to your photography portfolio on model mayhem. I have a photo gig at complex.com, I would love to discuss with you. Kindly email me at [email protected]  for more details.

Best Regards.

------------

Randy Ritprasert <[email protected]>
Thu, May 16, 1:26 PM (2 days ago)
to Mitsu

Good afternoon Mitsu,

Please provide me more details about the hours needed, context, and responsibilities of this opportunity.

----------

Good Morning Randy,
    Thanks for the quick response, I'm looking forward to having a good working reference with you at the end. Your photographic works are quite aesthetic and I feel you will be perfect for our Summer season photo shoot gig. Complex.com is searching for a Photographer to work with on an ongoing fashion style and footwear blogging. As the Photographer, you will dictate the creative direction of the shoot and shoot a six-hour outdoor and style focused fashion gig involving a male and a female model, one hair stylist, one makeup artist, and a pro wardrobe stylist. Complex is a media platform and an online community that publishes the best, most diverse and most relevant voices in culture, period. With over 120 million unique monthly visitors and 1.4B monthly page views, Complex makes culture pop from its collection of partners, brands and its hub site Complex.com for one of the most sought after audiences of millennial influential ever assembled.

Job details:

1. You will be required to work with 2 models
2. There will be 3 outfits and foot wears per model, 5 images for each outfit/look, which totals 30 images
3. Outfits/Wardrobe will be supplied by us
4. Location, date, and time will be fixed by you
5. We want 30 professionally taken pictures in High Res Digital Copies
6. Image type: JPG
7. Transfer method: Fileshare or Dropbox
8. Delivery date: July 17th
9. Full budget: $6300
10. Compensation: $2200 ($700 upfront and $1500 final payment)
11. You will hold full image right (Licensor)

As the photographer we want you to handle other aspect of the gig and dictate the creative direction. If you’re interested, kindly get back to me ASAP.

Click on the link for a sample of my work: https://www.complex.com/style/2015/05/h … rial-2015/

Best Regards
Mitsu Tsuchiya

---------

Randy Ritprasert <[email protected]>
Fri, May 17, 5:31 PM (16 hours ago)
to Mitsu

Hi Mitsu, may I get on a call with you whenever you get the chance?

---------

Mitsu Tsuchiya
6:09 AM (3 hours ago)
to me

Good Morning Ruttapon,

I look forward to having a wonderful working relationship with you.  Please be informed that You'll receive a Check which covers your upfront payment and the balance would go to the agency sourcing the models, MUA and stylist. I want to make sure you are okay with that. I'll always keep you updated and I'd like you to at least check your email twice a day ( Morning & Afternoon ) for updates and your prompt response will be appreciated.
    The agency providing models, Hair stylist, and MUA is Nathaniel Talent Agency and I will want you to discuss possible dates with the agent ( Mr. Nathaniel Payne) while I work on getting your advance budget and the contract; I need you to email Nathaniel at ( [email protected] ) Kindly reach out to him right away and decide on a possible date for this project. The outfit will be sent to over to Nathaniel and he will let you know as soon as he get them.  I believe in your interest to work for us and I do promise to satisfy your needs.

Best Regards
Mitsu Tsuchiya

May 18 19 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ruttapon Photography wrote:
. . .
Mitsu Tsuchiya
6:09 AM (3 hours ago)
to me

Good Morning Ruttapon,

Please be informed that You'll receive a Check which covers your upfront payment and the balance would go to the agency sourcing the models, MUA and stylist.
. . .
Best Regards
Mitsu Tsuchiya

The above part describes the scam.
You receive a check and forward part of it to a third party. The check eventually bounces and your bank removes the entire amount from your account possibly throwing your account into the red.

Note that even a cashiers check can be a forgery.

May 18 19 10:19 am Link

Photographer

TapOnIt

San Jose, California, US

Great, thanks Mark. I believe he was trying to impersonate someone else. I questioned why he wouldn’t call me and kept avoiding my question.

May 18 19 11:50 am Link

Photographer

TapOnIt

San Jose, California, US

Wasn’t completely sure why they don’t pay the agency directly. Things got fishy

May 18 19 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Things that make no sense
Why do peeps working for MultiNational Big $$$ companies use free mail address ?...They don't
Why would a client pay for images and give the photographer all the rights ?
Why would a paying client have no creative input ????
Please read this sticky on how scammers work
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330

May 18 19 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Randy, if you know the MM profile please pass it on to the mods.   

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod

May 18 19 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

"$700 upfront" equals Scam!

Scam has been around for decades!  Nigerian Scam

Cease all replies to them, or any other unsolicited emails you will likely now be getting.
Do not try to cash or deposit any payment they may send. They are Fake!
Absolutely, do not forward any portion to any others. You will lose it!

May 19 19 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

May 19 19 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

KevinWallace

Los Angeles, California, US

I too have received an identical email verbatim, from Mitzu. Exact same email. if you deposit the check and send it to the agency the scammers will have your account information and funds will bounce, leaving you to owe that money.

I'm trying to verify all info they have sent, as far as names, ect.. This is someone impersonating Mitzu.

May 22 19 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Wolf Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

General rule of thumb, if it feels like a scam, it's a scam.

May 26 19 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

TapOnIt

San Jose, California, US

Thanks guys, I marked it as scam and didn’t move forward and reported the sender. Also did a lot of research on it. But the phrase too good to be true stands. Someone of this caliber wouldn’t just reach out without a phone call and validation.

Jun 01 19 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

CharlesWang

New York, New York, US

I got the same person emailing me as well. The verbiage “Your works are quite aesthetic” threw me off and on second correspondence he used it again. It got weird when he asked for me to pay the crew. I checked out the person in question and his IG account. The emails did not match up. Then I saw your post after some more digging.

It’s too bad.

Jun 08 19 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

These forums are visible to everyone in the world. By posting your reply here, complete with your email, you have supplied it to all the scammers who did not have it previously!!

Jun 10 19 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

MDT Focus

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I received the same exact email from Mitsu Tsuchiya a few days ago.  He has an Instagram account and I'm considering notifying him about this:
https://www.instagram.com/mitsu_tsuchiya/?hl=en

Also a website:
http://www.mitsutsuchiya.com/

Jun 19 19 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

MDT Focus

Miami Beach, Florida, US

MDT Focus wrote:
I received the same exact email from Mitsu Tsuchiya a few days ago.  He has an Instagram account and I'm considering notifying him about this:
https://www.instagram.com/mitsu_tsuchiya/?hl=en

Also a website:
http://www.mitsutsuchiya.com/

He wrote me back.  It's a scam (his words).

Jun 19 19 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Cliff Etzel-CE Visuals

Eugene, Oregon, US

I just received the same email correspondence.  Glad I did some research on this before going any further.

Jul 11 19 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

You have to ask yourself, would _I_ trust someone I've never met except over the internet with several thousand dollars of MY money? (Hell, would I trust my in-person bestie that way?)

So the answer to your question is hell yes that's the setup for a scam, and YOU, my fine feathered friend are the "mark" about to be relieved of the burden of your money if you are THAT trusting. Classic Nigerian scam. Google it.

Jul 12 19 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Retro Studios

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Yea, hitten me up and sounded scammy, glad i searched a bit, lol.

Jul 15 19 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

D Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I got the same email. So much of the email did not feel right, especially the Hotmail email.
I don't know why it amazes me that some people work so hard ripping other people off...

Jul 16 19 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Yi Lin Hu

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

just reporting this, I got the same Email as well. Everyone be careful!
When they ask me to use their tatenl agency then I realize something wrong about this.

Jul 18 19 12:19 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

Yes, it's a scam. I can tell by his first sentence: "I have a photo gig at complex.com"

A person wouldn't say that they have a "gig" with a certain magazine. They would introduce themselves properly, saying who they are and what their role at the company is, as well as give you a complete job description. If you're ever not sure about someone, contact the place they claim to work for and ask if that person really works for them.

Jul 18 19 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:

The above part describes the scam.
You receive a check and forward part of it to a third party. The check eventually bounces and your bank removes the entire amount from your account possibly throwing your account into the red.

Note that even a cashiers check can be a forgery.

Q F T

;-(

Jul 25 19 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
Yes, it's a scam. I can tell by his first sentence: "I have a photo gig at complex.com"

A person wouldn't say that they have a "gig" with a certain magazine. They would introduce themselves properly, saying who they are and what their role at the company is, as well as give you a complete job description. If you're ever not sure about someone, contact the place they claim to work for and ask if that person really works for them.

every model should read this!

Jul 25 19 11:51 am Link