Forums > Critique > Portfolio C&C

Photographer

DJAMPhotography_

San Diego, California, US

I have recently branched out to start shooting nude and boudoir/glamour genres. I would like some feedback on how I'm doing. When I look at the photos I currently have in my portfolio they just seem lackluster. I would like some feedback on how I can improve i.e. do I need to improve my lighting skills, do a better job at posing the models, improve my PP skills or all of the above or something I haven't mentioned.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Jun 08 19 10:00 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm sure that the photographers will have suggestions, but I don't see any problems at all with these two which I think are outstanding in your portfolio.  As a model, I'd be pleased to have such photos to use in my own portfolio. The poses, the color, and the light are very nice in both of them and for me, they work well.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45400550

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45281056

Jun 09 19 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

This is the only one I really like: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45281056

What I think would help you is to visualize what is interesting about your subject and to capture what you visualize. 

The lighting is fair.   The photos are sharp.  The DOF is good.  The colors are fair.   What I see are pictures that just aren't well composed on several levels.  The models seem generally lovely.  They probably have interesting curves, and they are nearly naked to boot.  So answer this: Why are the photos not that interesting?

Jun 10 19 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45472452
There is a bright area on her chest that distracts from the face, which is not as bright.

The model does not look engaged, more like she is just passing the time. There are no catchlights in the eyes and the eyelids look partially closed, probably because it is bright outside. Catchlights can be added, I am not good enough in Photoshop to open the eyes up so not going to recommend trying it. A reflector or fill flash bounced into same would give good catchlights and poof that extra bit of light into the face. Turning the model to the side instead of straight on would help reduce the brightness and improve the pose.

There is a large bump near the elbow on the model's right arm, this could be touched up.

The white flowers in the upper left are the brightest objects in the image, distracting. Consider coloring them the same as the gorgeous purple flowers.

Her left hand looks "tight" like she has some tension. The hand would look better relaxed and spread more.

Last but not least, the right nipple poking out may or may not have been planned but it looks planned. This could be one of those times that a little mystery can enhance the viewer experience. So shoot it both ways, mostly covered and popping out, then you have choices.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45400550

Burn down the bright spots in the background. Lighten the face up. Touch up the arms and the navel piercing.

That will help considerably.

I would like it better if her left hand was more visible instead of behind the leaf. For all that, this is one of your better efforts.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45281138

The pupils are too far into the edge of the eye. If you were to shoot this pose again, (and I think it is worth doing!), her head could move just a bit farther towards the left side of the frame and her eyes could move over a bit more to the right side of the frame, you'd be really close.

If there is more image that has been cropped off, explore different crops.

I like the model, her expression and pose, hair, makeup, you choice of depth of field. A little bit of soft light coming from the right to separate the edges would improve the lighting but the main light source is well placed and the soft quality of the light enhances well.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45281056

Add some fill from the back corner of the ceiling, just enough to seperate the edges.
For whatever reason, I don't like the walls much. They are there but they don't enhance the viewer experience, at least not for me.

Lovely model, great expression, hair and makeup are nice.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Michael

Jun 10 19 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Anthony

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi

I had a look at your images.

Firstly, there are plenty of other images on MM that don't come close to the quality of your images.

You might consider shooting from different angles. Effectively, they are all shot from the front. It's possible that you are rushed because of the nature of the work. Consider placing the model into "a scene" rather than standing them "in front of one".

It can sometimes improve shots if the background is unsharp or "out of focus" as we used to say before posh terms like Bokeh came in to fashion smile
You can ask the model to come forward of the tree etc. You get the idea.

Try using a shallow depth of field (wide open lens <f2.8 so that only "some of the model is sharp" it may add a bit of mystery to the shot, and it may look less flat.

Don't be afraid to use crops. Both Nudes and Boudoir can be implied by simply showing bare shoulders etc. Nothing wrong with full nudes but you can get some beautiful, sensuous images without it all being skin. If you are going for full nudes look for contrast, use wet skin or oils to create striking images. Another technique is to place something in the foreground that is out of focus. (like shooting through leaves on a nearby tree. If there's no tree,,, take a plant in a pot smile It can add texture to a shot.

Lastly and most importantly... Make the shots a collaboration between you and model. The more they are at ease with you the more relaxed they can become and this is clearly reflected in the shots. Focus on a single goal with them. Get that one good shot and loads more will follow on

I hope some of these words may help you... Keep learning... I am

Kind regards

Colin

Jun 12 19 07:19 am Link

Photographer

DJAMPhotography_

San Diego, California, US

Thank you all so much for the replies! That was definitely some good feedback and ways to improve that I will begin implementing during my next shoot. I appreciate the time you all took to look through my portfolio and provide feedback.

Daniel

Jun 13 19 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Orfinus

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Good stuff.
First and last images seem a bit out of place, out of style.
Consider parsing them off into a different portfolio/group.
The rest are very nice.
Try some black and white conversions, they can be helpful at creating more atmosphere/class/mystery, sometimes colors can be too direct. Same thing with sepia or toning the images, it will give it a sense of "something" rather than just "bam, here is a real life like image of me and I am sexy as hell".
Don't know the level of your model's skills or how much time you have to 'work' with them versus just to get things done.
Sometimes instructions to the more beginner models can help and make them look less "obvious" and " I am being super sexy for the camera right now" which a few of them look like. It's not bad, it's just a consideration.
The darker/shadier images work better for me. The really bright one/sunny ones seem a little less "accomplished", consider modifying them in LR/PS by playing around with exposure/contrast/etc etc. A couple see a little too bright to be "boudoir" and are more like "glamour/soft core", they are not bad, just a difference of styling. If that's what was intended then it's great.
Hope some of this helps, the rest you can just discard and disregard.
Good luck

Jul 19 19 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

You're off to a great start. I like the fact that you hired Lucy and [I forget her name] ginger hair in the green lingerie, they are talented pros who can take the pressure of the posing issue.
I suggest then to concentrate on your composition and lighting. Direct your model to where you want to face for the light source, let her slowly pose and work on how to frame her and work on her angles. It's important in boudoir and nude photography to Not use unflattering angles. Always try to tell a story or create a mood in the photos.

Jul 24 19 06:01 pm Link