Forums > Photography Talk > Shoot with no reflection or shadow

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Doesn't matter why I want to do this, just that I want to...

I want to take a photos of models on white background with no reflection or shadows below the feet. I don't want to do any manual editing in photoshop to remove reflection/shadows, so please don't comment say how easy it is to use the pen tool.

I usually shoot on white plexi, which creates both a reflection and very slight shadow. Usually this is fine. But right now I want something different for a different usage.

I've done a bit of testing...

I've tried floating glass off the ground propped up by clear containers. It turns out glass is highly reflective. So this was a no go.

I've tried model standing on various large white clear plastic and clear plexi containers to various degrees with success. Though no test was 100% successful. There was always some shadow/plexi to be found somewhere that must be removed by hand in photoshop.

It finally dawned on me that if there is nothing under the feet then there is no shadow. So I found various small and strong clear plexi containers and stood on them myself and took a photo. I only stood on the plexi with the back of my feet, leaving the front feet over hanging and this mostly solved the shadow issue. So I sort of have a workable solution, however, it does seem like a trip hazard, and that is making me slightly weary.

I'm basically looking for suggestions on what else I can try. I want to get as much of it right in camera as possible. I don't mind using photoshop, as long as the steps can be turned into an action. For example brightening the image can be automated. Using the pen tool can not be automated and thus I have no interest in using the pen tool. And yes I know how to use the pen tool and the magic wand, etc. I don't want to use them. Thanks!

Aug 30 19 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

poiter wrote:
I've tried floating glass off the ground propped up by clear containers. It turns out glass is highly reflective.

Why are you fixated about standing on plexi-glass?
Put down a white cloth and then have the model stand on two cups.

Aug 30 19 08:09 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

White cloth will create a shadow. I don't want any hint of shadow under the shoes. Being off the ground is how you get rid of the shadow in camera, as far as I know. I want all the white areas under the person to be as close to pure white as possible, ie RGB 255,255,255. With the right lighting and white plexi on the ground, that will get you pretty close to RGB 255,255,255. I assume white cloth will be more absorbent of light and thus less white and definitely more crease prone, which creates shadows. Also two cups likely won't blow out into pure white easily, where as clear thin plexi will.

Aug 30 19 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

EVERYTHING you can see in a photo reflects light, that's how it got there.
Flat black (black velvet) is the closest you can get to no reflection.

Shadows can be eliminated by using large, soft light sources near the lens and aiming towards the subject.

Such lighting will reflect on anything that can be seen in a photo. If you can see it, it is reflecting.

White is the most reflective. If you've lit it to be white in the photo it is reflecting the most light that any object can reflect.

Have fun!!!!!

Aug 30 19 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Try clam shell lighting and other lights pointing at the background and feet. You probably need a hand held spot meter to balance the exposure.

Aug 30 19 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

White linoleum and practice.

Aug 30 19 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

We use a large sheet of white plexiglass, lit from underneath to eliminate shadows on catalog shots against white seamless.

Before digital, that's how it was done.

KM

Aug 30 19 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
We use a large sheet of white plexiglass, lit from underneath to eliminate shadows on catalog shots against white seamless.

Before digital, that's how it was done.

KM

How do you mean lit from underneath? If you mean from below the white plxeiglass, and the model is on top of the white plexiglass, how is the plexiglss supported?

Aug 30 19 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I did more tests during the day today. I went and bought a 4x4 feet of clear 3mm plexi glass. I then propped it off the white ground with small and strong clear plexi containers. I then put shoes on top of the clear plexi glass that is not raised of the floor. It was hard to figure out how to not have shadows/reflection below the feet. Basically I couldn't figure it out. I had speedlights pointed at the feet or from below the feet in various positions and could never figure out how to get rid of the shadows without also over blowing the shoes with light. So it seems the most successful method of all the different methods I've tried so far is to step on tiny and strong clear plexi containers. The containers can only be the size of the back of the feet, which allows the front of the feet to float in mid air, which means no shadows.

Here's an image showing what I've figured out so far.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cevh2iuy9jksd … n.jpg?dl=0

On the left, that is the original image out of lightroom. A developer settings have been applied to adjust lighting. As you can see I'm standing on small clear plexi boxes

In the middle is applying more lighting adjustments in photoshop, which blows out the clear plexi. The parts of the reflection I just filled in a white shape to get rid of it.

On the right, this just shows all the pixels in the image as either white pixels 255,255,255 or black pixels 0,0,0. Thus it is clear that there are no shadows or reflection after the adjustments in photoshop.

So I've sort of figured out what I want, and without using and sort of manual tools such as pen tool or magic wand. The downside so far is the it is really awkward to stand on a little clear plexi box with my back feet. It was this awkwardness that I spent time trying to figure out if I can instead stand on a 4x4 feet of sheet of clear floating plexi, but the 4x4 clear floating plastic just introduced lots of dark shadows below my feet and I just couldn't figure out how to not have the reflection/shadow.

Aug 30 19 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

poiter wrote:
How do you mean lit from underneath? If you mean from below the white plxeiglass, and the model is on top of the white plexiglass, how is the plexiglss supported?

The same way you supported that large clear float glass you tried, as mentioned in your OP.

Aug 31 19 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Orca Bay Images wrote:

The same way you supported that large clear float glass you tried, as mentioned in your OP.

Gets expensive. A piece of plexi 4x4 that you can stand on while it is above ground.

Support the plexi above ground, and blast light underneath it.
Similar has been mentioned several times.

Have the model jump and have a ton of light hit the empty floor.

Aug 31 19 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

If the shot is say just from the waist down I wonder if just using simple say 4x4 supported between two ladders that the model could just brace their  arms on as a temporary support while there feet are lifted off the ground kinda idea might not be feasible not unlike those ab crunch devices at the gym or also maybe just a simple pull up bar overhead.

Aug 31 19 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

poiter wrote:

He has a very narrow view of 'how it was done' before or after anything. Getting a piece of plexiglass or acrylic that will support the weight of a model standing is generally prohibitively expensive or at the very least heavy. I have had a 3x3' piece of 1" acrylic which could be used for that purpose but it was easily 50lbs. A 4x8' acrylic would be considerably heavier and I'm still not sure I would put a model on it with a light source underneath fearing the surface would crack in half. 4x4' is probably the maxi light box I would consider standing a model unless it was a cinema quality set build. I take that is not what you are capable of at the moment.

More regularly shooting white with shadowless floor for catalogs before or after digital was done on a platform, but the plexi (or as I suggested linoleum) was generally on a plywood base supported by 5 or 6 apple boxes. If you are using white plexi still put white paper down beneath for pure white. Again I prefer linoleum for a smoother surface without that mirror effect) However there was not a light source underneath, rather there was a controlled lit background which fills in the . Often people would use 2 or 4 heads firing into white seamless or white cyclorama and carefully balanced to slightly above the main exposure. 4 heads allows for more control of the evenness of the white/light across the background.

The elevation of the platform eliminates the curve of the seamless which receives light at different values. With careful control you can loose the horizon line at the rear end of the plexi or linoleum sheet. Some people devise a curved or humped top elevation to have a soft transition to the bright background. Others let the plexi hang off the rear horizon edge a few inches to get some of the light passing thru it.

Some people get super serious about metering the background and will do incident readings of each source. Having done literally months and months of this kind of shooting I can generally eyeball the spread of the light and take an incident reading of the background behind the head of the model because at that point the background becomes a light source which you can read with an incident (the white dome) reading. For that I use 1:1 w/ main exposure as a starting point for clean white background. If you find that you are still getting detail on the floor surface, increase the power of the background. Think of it as a giant soft box behind your model. Some people even use huge scrims behind the model, but it is not absolutely necessary.

IF you are still using speedlights, this will generally not work unless you are using a shit load of them and at that point, studio strobes would actually be cheaper. With practice and the right light modifiers, all of this is possible with 3 lights (usually in bigger soft boxes or umbrellas). Unfortunately this is where differences in quality of lenses comes into play. General rule is that cheaper lenses, especially kit lenses suffer from unwanted lens flare with backlit subjects. Conversely my Zeiss lenses with more elements and superior lens coatings tend to laugh at blown out backgrounds and render sharp, contrasty images even in backlight. I even had a Hasselblad H lens that was susceptible to lens flare that I would never use on this set up so I would routinely swap it for the Hasselblad's version of the kit lens--the 80mm f2.8. Lens flare can be controlled by placing flags or black cards just outside the crop of the image.

If you haven't deduced by now, you can dive in very deep even if it is still just white seamless. I haven't even mentioned the main light.

Aug 31 19 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Gets expensive. A piece of plexi 4x4 that you can stand on while it is above ground

One doesn't need to get a super-thick, pricey piece of plexi that can bear the model's weight, since the OP alredady has a stout piece of float glass that has already proven to do just that. Just lay a thin sheet of white plexi atop the already-raised and supported sheet of heavy glass.

Since the OP already has the float glass, he doesn't need a sheet of plexi. A flexible translucent sheet of plastic might do the trick.

Have the model jump and have a ton of light hit the empty floor.

That would restrict the OP to shooting models in mid-jump. Might not work for shots involving elaborate hair and wardrobe.

Aug 31 19 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

I always heard,
“if you want to get rid of glass reflections, use a polarizing filter”

Aug 31 19 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Philip Brown wrote:
I always heard,
“if you want to get rid of glass reflections, use a polarizing filter”

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I did a google search. The first webpage I pulled up said probably not, so that added to my skepticism. On this page https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3820124 someone wrote...

"A polarizer will remove polarized light. The light reflected from glass is not polarized at normal incidence but is fully polarized when the angle of incidence is 56 degrees.

So, if the reflections are coming off at 56 degrees or close to it, then a polarizing filter can be rotated to eliminate them. But if you're talking about portraits, the subject's glasses are typically nearly normal to the camera axis so a polarizer won't do anything."

Then I stopped reading that page.

I then looked at another link from google https://hoyafilterusa.com/how-circular- … ers-work/, half way down the page there is a before and after of a man behind a cafe window. While it doesn't completely remove it, it does most of the heavy lifting.

I haven't used a polarized lens in years, so I'll have to dig around my gear and look for it and do a test.

Sep 01 19 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

well here's an idea for you...
Polarize the lighting.

The filter-reflections thing works, because light self-polarizes to a degree when it gets reflected. Even right out of the sun.
but if the light going INTO the reflection is polarized already.. you'll likely get an even better effect.

Here's an interesting thread I found that doesnt show results, but does talk about the science and implementation of it.

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questio … o-lighting

Sep 01 19 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Thanks to everyone else who were all so generous with spending their time to share their wisdom with me. For sure some good thoughts for me to think about over time.

In parallel to trying to get a shot of a person without reflection or any hint of shadow right (or as close to) in camera. I've also been exploring how to do it through software automation. Remove.bg is the only software I've found that does an amazing isolation most of the time, they use machine learning technology to isolate. All other software I've seen from google search either suck, or they require manual selection by hand as part of the process, and thus not the solution I'm looking for. I want 100% automation. The pricing of remove.bg isn't right for me. Yes I understand it can be quite cheap at high volume. Without me explaining why, just accept that their pricing don't work for me. So right now I'm testing on freelance websites to look for a developer who will build me a software tool that will be as good as remove.bg. In the last week, I've had several developers try for a bit and then give up, because it is much more difficult than simply removing white pixels. Because the sample images I give them to test on, are models on white backgrounds, with both reflections on the floor and slight shadows. I've also have had a couple of developers mention that they are familiar with machine learning technology and would look into using that to see if they can figure out how to isolate as good as remove.bg. One person sent me some work in progress photos today. I can see that he is making progress. Right now it is no where near the quality of isolation that remove.bg can get. So right now just keeping my fingers cross that he will figure it out sometimes next week. Otherwise I have one more developer whom I have not tested with yet, who feels confident that he can figure it out.

Anyway, if one of these two developers figure it out, then there is no need for the floating setup that I've been testing this week, because that setup is quasi trip hazard, just waiting for someone to fall off awkwardly and break their ankle. So I much rather just shoot model on white plexi on real floor and have software do the perfect isolation automatically.

BTW I've also test green screen. It works really well for waist up or 3/4 body poses. It isolates poorly for full body because the green fabric reflects on to the feet and shoes, thus creating a green cast on the feet and shoe area. I'm sure this can be fix in post manually, but that isn't what I'm about. Where possible I only look for fully automated solutions.

Sep 01 19 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Here's where I reveal my ignorance and/or my lack of understanding:  Wouldn't you accomplish your purpose by shooting the model standing on and in front of an ordinary green drop then remove the background color entirely,  replacing it with a solid white layer, then merging the layers?  Not quite an automated process but less effort than you've expended in writing this post I would think.
All IMHO as always, of course.

ETA: Just saw your comment re greenscreen.  This image was shot that way and dropped onto another, exterior, shot.  I don't see any reflected green on the model's feet.  https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121011/10/507703d6a90ca_m.jpg

Sep 01 19 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

poiter wrote:
BTW I've also test green screen. It works really well for waist up or 3/4 body poses. It isolates poorly for full body because the green fabric reflects on to the feet and shoes, thus creating a green cast on the feet and shoe area. I'm sure this can be fix in post manually, but that isn't what I'm about. Where possible I only look for fully automated solutions.

err.. you've already talked about using "software automation".
last i checked, studios automate removing the green cast as well as all the other stuff ;-)

Sep 01 19 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Re: green screen

Maybe I'll test again another time. In the tests I've done in the past, there has always been green light bouncing off the green fabric and on to the shoes. My understanding is that it is all about the amount of green fabric around the model's leg, especially in front of them, it is those fabric that cast a green color cast to the model's shoes.

Yes green screen software do correct green casts on the model, and I have seen that too in PhotoKey 8 Pro. Though from memory it did a good job for all areas of the body except for the feet. For those photos I only needed the photos from waist up, so I wasn't too concerned that it did a poor job with the feet. But perhaps I'll do more testing again later.

To sum up, of all the different ways I've tried this week, and all the different solutions that everyone has so kindly shared, my most preferred option is to wait to see if I can find a developer that can automate removing shadows and reflections like the website remove.bg can. Having that solution would be the easiest to shoot and to edit, and also makes the photos most versatile.

Sep 01 19 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

poiter wrote:
To sum up, of all the different ways I've tried this week, and all the different solutions that everyone has so kindly shared, my most preferred option is to wait to see if I can find a developer that can automate removing shadows and reflections like the website remove.bg can. Having that solution would be the easiest to shoot and to edit, and also makes the photos most versatile.

Do what you like, but it seems like you are attempting to use a canon to swat a fly. You can light a white set up to defeat all shadows. Period. It is done literally every day at Ecommerce studios without relying on AI.

Sep 02 19 12:25 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Do what you like, but it seems like you are attempting to use a canon to swat a fly. You can light a white set up to defeat all shadows. Period. It is done literally every day at Ecommerce studios without relying on AI.

I hear you. Any chance you might have any sample images that is similar to what we are talking about lying around on your computer that I can take a look at. Right now, from my own (flawed) tests, shadows are impossible to get rid of in camera if the subject is standing on any surface, be that material white, or translucent. The only way I've seen in my own tests to mostly get rid of shadow is for the model to stand on a tiny clear object, where most of the feet is floating.

Regarding AI, the technology to do really good, near perfect isolation with just one click is clearly coming. Remove.bg is already doing it, it is only a matter of time before other companies catch up. If I can get the tools now at a cost that is affordable to me, why not. Regardless, I'm open to all options, they just have to be automate-able tongue

Sep 02 19 09:11 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

BTW just to give more context.

This is what I already knew how to do.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo6fggeu6xmo0 … w.jpg?dl=0

On the left side, this image has only had global lighting adjustments made in lightroom and photoshop. All done by presets or photoshop actions. Zero manual time on the computer to get it this far. As you can see the isolation is pretty good.

In the middle is the same image, just showing what pixels are pure white and what pixels are not pure white. As you can see everything but the model and her reflection is a pure white pixel.

On the right side, this is just showing what the pixels look like when GLOBAL lighting adjustments are made to get rid of the reflection. The reflection is gone, but there is still shadow pixels under her shoe that is touching the ground. Meanwhile her whole body is quite blown out at this stage due to the global lighting adjustments. Her white shirt has turned into pure white pixels.

This can easily be fixed if I was willing to just use the pen tool or the magic wand, I don't want to. I am only looking for solutions that are 100% automated.

Sep 02 19 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

poiter wrote:
Any chance you might have any sample images that is similar to what we are talking about lying around on your computer that I can take a look at.

I have to say that I don't generally get assignments with shadowless in-camera capture as the goal. Just as frequently as blown out white, I get assigned to keep tone in the white. This is a quick comparison from images I had quick access to of the different reflectance of different surfaces: Linoleum, Plexi and Seamless. Again, my goal was not to eliminate the shadow, but to produce clean white without a horizon line.

They were shot roughly similarly with large soft boxes illuminating the background. The middle has a hotter background-to-foreground ratio as requested by client. Left two are more overhead lighting; right one is more high-side lighting. I haven't done a platform shoot in a bit and really don't have the time to go searching for images from the last one.

http://danhowell.info/WhiteTest.jpg

General tips to reduce floor shadow and/or reflectance:
-lower camera angle
-careful 1:1 lighting ratio from main light to background
-Main or Front light with less angle to the model, possibly tipped down to defeat the fall-off of light as it spreads down body of model.
-low-angle light for legs/feet or ring flash fill.

I prefer linoleum to plexi though I end up shooting on plexi more often.

edit:  i mean matte white Formica, not linoleum. it is a hard surface that is easy to clean. Some types of linoleum are also good for this purpose.

Sep 02 19 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Although I've yet to master Ghosts on White a building product commonly known as Marlite (?) will eliminate reflections around the feet.( basically a waterproof wallboard which comes in 4 x 8 sheets ).    As pointed out careful placement of background lights should eliminate any shadows.   

The look You're seeking can be accomplished in Camera,  I simply don't own enough lights at this time.

Sep 03 19 04:58 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Dan Howell wrote:

I have to say that I don't generally get assignments with shadowless in-camera capture as the goal. Just as frequently as blown out white, I get assigned to keep tone in the white. This is a quick comparison from images I had quick access to of the different reflectance of different surfaces: Linoleum, Plexi and Seamless. Again, my goal was not to eliminate the shadow, but to produce clean white without a horizon line.

They were shot roughly similarly with large soft boxes illuminating the background. The middle has a hotter background-to-foreground ratio as requested by client. Left two are more overhead lighting; right one is more high-side lighting. I haven't done a platform shoot in a bit and really don't have the time to go searching for images from the last one.

http://danhowell.info/WhiteTest.jpg

General tips to reduce floor shadow and/or reflectance:
-lower camera angle
-careful 1:1 lighting ratio from main light to background
-Main or Front light with less angle to the model, possibly tipped down to defeat the fall-off of light as it spreads down body of model.
-low-angle light for legs/feet or ring flash fill.

I prefer linoleum to plexi though I end up shooting on plexi more often.

Thanks for taking the time to find some examples to show me. Your photos look pretty similar to what I already know how to shoot. I do own linoleum, though I rarely shoot on them. They scuff really easily and just more effort to clean, where as white plexi is really easy and quick to clean with magic eraser.

Sep 03 19 06:21 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Although I've yet to master Ghosts on White a building product commonly known as Marlite (?) will eliminate reflections around the feet.( basically a waterproof wallboard which comes in 4 x 8 sheets ).    As pointed out careful placement of background lights should eliminate any shadows.   

The look You're seeking can be accomplished in Camera,  I simply don't own enough lights at this time.

Thanks for the tip on Marlite. I'll look it up on google.

Sep 03 19 06:22 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

poiter wrote:
Thanks for the tip on Marlite. I'll look it up on google.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Plast … el/3436816

^  I'm fairly certain this is the product I use as a floor.

Sep 03 19 08:54 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-Plast … el/3436816

^  I'm fairly certain this is the product I use as a floor.

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it! Though I need both reflection AND shadows to not exist in camera. This thing, like all other things will have a shadow.

Sep 03 19 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

poiter wrote:

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it! Though I need both reflection AND shadows to not exist in camera. This thing, like all other things will have a shadow.

Not if You light it correctly.

Sep 03 19 01:19 pm Link