Forums > General Industry > Video Editing Software

Photographer

Phil_I

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have a Nikon D850 and have been thinking of doing some video work with it. Consequently, I have been looking at video editing software and have installed and started learning two, being Shotcut and HitFilm Express. My requirements were: must be free and not have any watermarks and not be 30 day evaluation copies and preferably be open source, must be able to handle different formats, frame rates etc, have an interface and features similar to other editors, and have youtube tutorials.

Has anyone have experience with either of these editors, or are there are others they would recommend?

Aug 30 19 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Davinci Resolve.  https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc … ciresolve/

Not open source, but hits all of your other req'ts. Steep learning curve, super powerful. Free version does everything I could imagine wanting.

Aug 30 19 04:13 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

matt-h2 wrote:

Not open source, but hits all of your other req'ts. Steep learning curve, super powerful. Free version does everything I could imagine wanting.

Tell me more about Davinci Resolve, I think I want to get it.

Aug 31 19 07:59 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

veypurr wrote:

Tell me more about Davinci Resolve, I think I want to get it.

I am installing it right now, thanks for the recommendation.

Aug 31 19 08:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

matt-h2 wrote:

I dabbled with several programs, ended up using Shotcut for some amateurish projects, but since I want to expand into film, I was considering Final Cut Pro.

But thanks to you, Matt, I've checked out DaVinci's Resolve and it's amazing... finally a product I can really learn and get to the next level of my creative range!

Appreciated!   borat

Aug 31 19 09:47 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

DaVinci Resolve is an absolutely astonishing piece of software. I have  been using it about a year.

Before I go any further- I DO NOT work for or get any compensation from Black Magic Design (DaVinci Resolve)--- I am just a fan of good value...

So far, I have found nothing I need to do that  it wont do as well or better than the full Adobe video suite.

There are hundreds of hours of "how to videos" online for Resolve- it has about the same learning curve as Premiere or Final Cut- but you can have a video input, cut and output in your first session if you have ever edited a video before.

Resolve includes "pages or modules"- all under one roof- they are a full featured NLE editor, special effects and titling, best color correction tools I have seen, full featured AUDIO editor and an output section - for encoding the product in most of the various formats available.

It has one MUCH better feature- it is FREE. (or under $300 for the "Studio" version)

There are two versions available- "Davinci Resolve" and "DaVinci Resolve Studio". The free version is fully featured, with no watermark or restrictions---except it will not handle 4k output, is limited in the RAW formats it will read, and has limited noise reduction. The "Studio" version has all that ----for a one time purchase. Lifetime free updates.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc … ciresolve/ is their product page- with their ad copy- if you scroll to the bottom of the page, there are download links for BOTH the FREE and paid version, and an explanation of the differences.

Aug 31 19 11:12 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

rfordphotos wrote:
There are two versions available- "Davinci Resolve" and "DaVinci Resolve Studio". The free version is fully featured, with no watermark or restrictions---except it will not handle 4k output, is limited in the RAW formats it will read, and has limited noise reduction. The "Studio" version has all that ----for a one time purchase. Lifetime free updates.

Good to know...

I'll familiarize myself with the free version and when proficient, I may switch to the Studio version.

The limited noise reduction just got my attention, because I had shot with a German actor in NYC and we both were interviewed at JFK before he and his team flew back to Germany. Unfortunately, there was a lot of noise and he was speaking rather low and I was wondering if the noise could be reduced and his voice and overall audio could be enhanced.

Aug 31 19 11:26 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

udor wrote:
Good to know...

I'll familiarize myself with the free version and when proficient, I may switch to the Studio version.

The limited noise reduction just got my attention, because I had shot with a German actor in NYC and we both were interviewed at JFK before he and his team flew back to Germany. Unfortunately, there was a lot of noise and he was speaking rather low and I was wondering if the noise could be reduced and his voice and overall audio could be enhanced.

Udor- free version has WONDERFUL noise reduction tools in its AUDIO section ("Fairlight") but is limited in its VIDEO noise reduction tools. The audio section ("Fairlight") is very equivalent to Audition from Adobe or the open source Audiology.

Aug 31 19 11:30 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

rfordphotos wrote:

Udor- free version has WONDERFUL noise reduction tools in its AUDIO section ("Fairlight") but is limited in its VIDEO noise reduction tools. The audio section ("Fairlight") is very equivalent to Audition from Adobe or the open source Audiology.

Oh!!! Awesome!

Thank you!!!

Aug 31 19 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Phil_I

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

matt-h2 wrote:

Thanks Matt. I've had a look at Resolve and it's reviews - it seems to fit the bill perfectly. I'll be downloading and installing shortly.

Aug 31 19 02:27 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

udor wrote:

Good to know...

You might need Soundforge for noise reduction if you don't want to get the full version of Davinci Resolve. It is inexpensive.

Sep 01 19 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

You’re crippling yourself with the “must be free” part

I use FinalCut

Sep 02 19 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Jeff LaMarche

San Diego, California, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:

I use FinalCut

I've used both Final Cut and Davinci Resolve, and this really is not a fair assessment. Davinci Resolve's free edition includes all basic NLVE functionality; you only have to pay for high-end features like 8K resolution and camera tracking for 3D integration. Otherwise, its feature set is pretty comparable to FC and Premier and its used in the production pipeline of a lot of movies and TV shows. Each of the three major NLVE packages have strengths and weaknesses relative to one another, but Resolve is in no way "crippled".

Sep 12 19 08:43 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:

I use FinalCut

I am NOT a demanding or power user of ANY video editing tools, by ANY stretch of the imagination so I would be curious which tools are missing that cripple the free version.

As a PC user, I know nothing about Final Cut as it is apparently Apple only.

I used the Adobe suite to edit video (and was early in the learning curve). It is immensely powerful and versatile but too expensive for the use I was getting out of it.

My only complaint regarding Resolve so far has been final delivery- I havent worked out the settings to deliver well compressed vids.... I just use an external encoder if I am not satisfied. I am relatively sure I just need to learn how to do it right in Resolve smile

Sep 12 19 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Jeff  LaMarche wrote:
Otherwise, its feature set is pretty comparable to FC and Premier and its used in the production pipeline of a lot of movies and TV shows.

My friend, a multiple awards winning documentary filmmaker, director, editor and composer, told me that he and many, many professionals in the movie industry in Hollywood, using DaVinci Resolve, even the free versions.

I trust his judgement, as he really knows what he's talking about.

He confirms that this software is topnotch...

Sep 12 19 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Yes, Resolve is top notch... several Hollywood post houses have dropped both the Adobe suite and even Avid (Both MC and ProTools) for Resolve...

It's very small in the world of editorial at the professional level, but it's gaining ground. And it's also the most used color grading application there is...

Sep 19 19 04:07 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Yes, Resolve is top notch... several Hollywood post houses have dropped both the Adobe suite and even Avid (Both MC and ProTools) for Resolve...

It's very small in the world of editorial at the professional level, but it's gaining ground. And it's also the most used color grading application there is...

I like it, it does a lot of stuff

Sep 22 19 01:01 am Link