i want high res not A4 pics

What kind of neg scanner  do i need to buy

many thanks

Ger

Sep 03 19 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Back in the 90's, the film based photolab that employed me had a couple of Bessler units designed to make copy negatives. We had one of them dedicated to 35mm, the other we would set up for medium format and 4x5.

It was very sturdy and well made. It did not require a computer, software, etc. Exposure was controlled and instant, using strobes. I would guess that one of these could be found and probably not too expensive. Certainly you should be able to get your money back out of it if you buy well.

It used a 35mm film camera, you could use a full frame or APS-C digital camera as your "scannner", the good news being that you probably already have one. Using a high quality macro lens (we had a Nikon Micro lens, same thing) and a bellows, you could frame a 35mm negative to optimum size.

It shouldn't be too difficult to record an Action in Photoshop to correct for the orange cast on negatives, invert the tones and create a good starting point on an image.

Check your proof sheets if you have them, it is pretty rare to have 36 great images on one roll, at least that has been my experience running thousands of rolls of film.

A dedicated digital film scanner is another proposition entirely. I would tend to avoid the complexities and the slowness of using it. We were able to shoot copy negs very quickly once we had it set up.

Sep 03 19 12:53 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Sep 03 19 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Hey, perfect timing! I was just wondering what the current film-scanner possibilities are myself, so thanks for both of the above replies.

Sep 04 19 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I use my DSLR to copy negatives or slides. I've had negative scanners and was never impressed with them. But I use my Nikon D850 with a macro lens. It is very simple and a thousand times faster than any negative scanner I ever had. If you don't have a macro lens for your camera used ones are cheap on Ebay. Nikon has a negative holder and tube specifically for this but I had scanned mine before they came out with it so I built my own using an old negative carrier from a Beseler enlarger held in place by a wooden tray I built. Light is from behind the negative reflected from white paper produced by an LED.

Of course once you've made a digital copy it's simple to reverse it to a positive using software.

Sep 04 19 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Use a transmission scanner and not a flatbed scanner.  The very best is a drum scanner (and not the "drum like" scanner sold by Imacon which has no drum so it cann't be a drum scanner) but they are incredibly slow to use and really expensive.

Sep 05 19 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Nikon Coolscan 8000

Sep 05 19 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Buy the best scanner you can afford. Scan all your negatives and transparencies. Sell the scanner to recoup a good chuck of your money.

A cheap scanner will not have resale value. A good one will retain most of its original price.

If you buy a secondhand high-end one, you can still resale it for nearly the same price you purchased it.

Sep 05 19 09:40 pm Link