Forums > Photography Talk > Product Value?

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

Post ended.  No further replies desired. 

Hello all.  Would very much appreciate your take on the following:

Low budget headshots for local Actor in California USA.  Rate of $200 (20 base images (46 delivered)), for 1.5 hour shoot.  No budget for studio, MUA, Hair, Wardrobe, shoot assistant.  Shoot was late afternoon in the desert.  All images captured and edited by me. 

The client is telling me; I'll not be able to use any of the shots based on feedback from  a lot of people in the Industry.  He's had the images in his possession for 23 hours.

Thanks so very much in advance.
J.

Sep 05 19 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

He got better and more than he deserves.

Probably thinks the pictures make him "look old".

He IS old. If he'd paid for stylist and studio lighting you could have softened him up considerably.
Hopefully you got paid at the point of providing images?

Edited to add...

Having read the opinions of others below, I see that my response is probably not useful.

All of us should have asked questions first.

My main question is "Who chose the location and time for the shoot?"
If the client chose it, one might suggest changing it.
If you suggested it, do a re-shoot.

And yes, the suggestion of using reflectors and/or fill flash is spot on.

Sep 05 19 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

He's kind of right. The lighting is way too harsh, a lot of the poses are not good for him, eyes aren't lit right.

For the price it would have been a great deal for him but for the above problems. It's just not up to the quality shown in your profile.

Why did you pick the desert and then shoot in an open area ?  Got to be the worst light there is, it doesn't look like it was shot in the mid-day sun but still way too harsh. And the shots where the light isn't harsh needed some fill or post work.

Sep 05 19 08:10 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Have you breached a professional standard by publishing (providing a link) a client’s photos on a public website? There is already one post that personally insults your client.

Sep 06 19 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

Hi Jarrett....Looking at your portfolio...and then looking at his images sent....and taking into consideration....the useable images he 'might' be able to use for headshots....I am going to give you a 4...on a scale of 1-10...regarding value...!!….That might sound a little harsh...but from an unbiased viewpoint...he is squinting too much...in a lot of the shots....(that's on you, the photographer)...I see only one or two...useable shots....the rest...no.....(this is why, I don't shoot headshots...lol)...I would offer to re-shoot the guy....not in direct sunlight...!!....I think you can do better...and have a happy client...!!...All you need is a simple background, go in your backyard...or look for a plain wall and shoot him there....!!….Just my 2 cents.....*Good Luck*..!!

Sep 06 19 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
He's kind of right. The lighting is way too harsh, a lot of the poses are not good for him, eyes aren't lit right.

For the price it would have been a great deal for him but for the above problems. It's just not up to the quality shown in your profile.

Why did you pick the desert and then shoot in an open area ?  Got to be the worst light there is, it doesn't look like it was shot in the mid-day sun but still way too harsh. And the shots where the light isn't harsh needed some fill or post work.

I agree with Vector.  There is no excuse to not have a reflector or scrim or fill light or something or shoot opposite a white wall.  The product delivered is very sub par, and you know it because your port is full of beautiful soft light shots.  Reshoot or give the guy his money back.  We have all screwed up a shoot.

Sep 06 19 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Yeah, I have agree with others.  Your images in your portfolio here are great.  However those headshots you linked to don't live up to that.  Light was waaaay too harsh.  If they're squinting because of harsh light, find more diffused lighting.  Shade, overhang, later in the day, overcast day, diffusion scrim, etc. 

I ran across a great headshot shooter based in NY, Jordan Matter.  His style is one I think you should study.  Uses more "diffused" light and a bottom reflector.  I would not use flash outside unless it's diffused by a box or umbrella.  But if you watch some of Jordans videos, you can see most times it's just a bottom filled reflector.  Look all around his website.  A LOT of good info their on natural light headshots. 

https://www.jordanmatter.com/photograph … headshots/

Sep 06 19 09:23 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ummmm, isn't this supposed to be in the "Critique" forum?

Sep 06 19 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Storytelling-Images

Port Charlotte, Florida, US

I agree with the others. First, shooting anyone in the direct sun is problematic. If I shoot swimwear or a beach background, it's either in the shade or I have a scrim over them to soften the sun. A scrim also reduces their need to squint and allows the eye and face to become more relaxed.  Then I'll accent or add a fill light in an octa or umbrella to address the shadows in the eye sockets, chin, etc. That would also add a catch light, which is desirable.

If you want to continue doing headshots outdoors,  I would invest in a light stand, sandbag, speedlight, white reflective umbrella, white & silver reflector and wireless triggers. You can do a ton of different looks with that basic setup either indoors or outdoors.

You should do something with this guy. Either refund or reshoot in better lighting for headshots. You never know how many potential clients he can either recommend or turn them away from you.

Sep 06 19 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

All wonderful advise thank you. 

I'd given some other options, the shaded areas near this location would involve a hike 50 yards, client refused.  I'd offered to shoot into and past the Golden Hour, declined.  Did the best I could for the budget.  I completely understand the emotion to cancel the shoot if the image quality is not there.  This is what I should have done.  Immediate future looks like a refund and remove any permission to use the images in the future or reshoot.  I think the refund is best. 

Thanks for all the immediate feed back guys.  Very valuable.
J.

Sep 06 19 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Jarrett Porst wrote:

I'd given some other options, the shaded areas near this location would involve a hike 50 yards, client refused.  I'd offered to shoot into and past the Golden Hour, declined.  Did the best I could for the budget.  I completely understand the emotion to cancel the shoot if the image quality is not there.  This is what I should have done.  Immediate future looks like a refund and remove any permission to use the images in the future or reshoot.  I think the refund is best. 

J.

This part of the story is important. An uncooperative client should be "somebody elses problem".
I think a refund is the correct path forward. Cut losses and move on.

Sep 06 19 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Jarrett Porst wrote:

J.

Not to be harsh but as a professional, you should be able to control the light in most situations.  No, you can't control the rain and wind but YOU CAN create a shaded area. Anywhere!   Yes, it will require your bring extra things like at least a light stand, sand bags, and at least a 48" diffusion screen. Or even a large black flag.  Pop it over their head or between the subject and the sun and you have instant soft light or at least blocked light so you can control it better.  I have done this more times than I can count. 

You can do this at any time of day.  Even high noon!

Sep 06 19 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jarrett Porst wrote:

J.

Shadow Dancer wrote:
This part of the story is important. An uncooperative client should be "somebody elses problem".
I think a refund is the correct path forward. Cut losses and move on.

+1

Sep 06 19 11:21 am Link