Forums > Photography Talk > Sony shooters, upgrade to A9 or A99ii?

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I am currently shooting with a Sony A99. Going to upgrade, but can't decide on the A9 or the A99ii. Anyone shooting with one or the other, or both? Opinions? Not a sports or video shooter so those features are not a factor in my decision making.

Sep 18 19 07:32 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Maybe you should wait a month or two. A9 II is coming soon and that might drop prices.

Sep 18 19 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

PHP-Photography wrote:
Maybe you should wait a month or two. A9 II is coming soon and that might drop prices.

Oh, I am waiting to purchase, but doing my research now. Prices for these models will definitely drop after the new models drop before the holidays.

Sep 18 19 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

roger alan

Anderson, Indiana, US

As you are a Sony shooter you probably know about dyxum already. In case you don't, here's the link: http://dyxum.com/

Excellent forums where knowledgeable people can (and will) discuss every pro 'n con of both of the bodies you are considering. There is also a wealth of information in the lens database with both user and professional reviews for practically every imaginable lens in both A and E mounts.

Sep 18 19 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I shoot with the A99ii. Love my camera... check my Flickr page for  my latest shoots are with the A99ii, info there. I use it for my outdoor shoots as it has a faster auto focusing than the A99

https://www.flickr.com/photos/woofw/

Sep 20 19 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Jeffries

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have an A99 and A99ii. If you have high quality A-Mount glass, the switch to an A99ii will be the most cost effective. I've played with an A9, and it's focus ability is simply amazing. That said, I'm extremely happy with the A99ii and it's focus is also light years better than the A99. The A9 is lighter and takes up less hard drive space for photos, but the A99ii gives you crop ability that the A9 won't have with 42MP, it'll be cheaper than buying new lenses (sure you can use A-mount on the A9 with an adapter, but you'll cripple the A9's focus speed). The A99ii has a full 360 moving rear lcd which has enabled me to nail shoots the A9 couldn't do.

The A99 is still a good camera too - I use it in conjunction with my A99ii for event shoots.

Sep 24 19 06:45 am Link

Photographer

Phillip D Breske

Belleview, Florida, US

I also use the A99ii and love it. I upgraded from a Sony A900 when that camera snapped the shutter during a photoshoot. (It was old and it was time.) And the reason I bought the 99ii instead of going mirrorless was because I figured I still have a lot of life left in the glass I own and, as noted above, I didn't want to hinder a new camera's focus accuracy or speed with an adapter. Buying new lenses would have been out of my financial ability at the time.

The A99ii is an amazing camera with some features, such as the articulating screen and the ability to set a focus range limit, that are no longer available on some Sony cameras.

You also should consider that Sony may not make any more A-mount bodies, so your choice of new glass in the future might be limited. On the other hand, if the A-mount does go away, there are a lot of used lenses out there that may be on the market for decent prices.

Oct 01 19 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Francisco Castro wrote:
I am currently shooting with a Sony A99. Going to upgrade, but can't decide on the A9 or the A99ii. Anyone shooting with one or the other, or both? Opinions? Not a sports or video shooter so those features are not a factor in my decision making.

The A99 II is already 3 years old. It's the last DSLR (SLT) Sony announced. I'd be reluctant to buy the last of a dying line. If you really love your lenses for it, then I guess it would buy you a few more years, but maybe it's time to shift to something with a future?

Oct 03 19 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Frozen Instant Imagery wrote:

The A99 II is already 3 years old. It's the last DSLR (SLT) Sony announced. I'd be reluctant to buy the last of a dying line. If you really love your lenses for it, then I guess it would buy you a few more years, but maybe it's time to shift to something with a future?

I have a Nikon D750 and its paired with the latest and greatest offering in the 70-280mm f2.8. DSLRs do still have a long future. The model I use came out at the end of . . . 2014 and it still rocks. It's smart to buy dslrs if you want to get great deals that will last a long time. The mirror cameras don't offer for anyone doing commercial photography significant advantages that force you to firesale your dslr. The lenses in the Nikon lineup are formidable as they are in Canon.

Oct 04 19 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Sony ... LMAO

Oct 06 19 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Art Silva wrote:
Sony ... LMAO

Nikon.... ROFLMAO

Oct 07 19 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

PHP-Photography wrote:

Nikon.... ROFLMAO

except for that beast the D850, and throw in the old D3, I have to agree... but overall not as fragile and user unfriendly as Sony junk, however for video you have to give it to 'em.

Oct 07 19 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Art Silva wrote:

but overall not as fragile and user unfriendly as Sony junk

Bet you have never used a Sony.

Oct 08 19 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

PHP-Photography wrote:
Bet you have never used a Sony.

I have three of them of different formats and the honeymoon on each lasted maybe a year at best, so Yes, I gave Sony a fair shake and I stand by my findings.
I hung on to them for no real reason other than variety but honestly I hardly touch them anymore. They just don't really inspire me like many other cameras I've owned.

Oct 08 19 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Just as an update, I went with the Sony A9, and love it!

Nov 08 19 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Jeffry Pittman

Woodland Hills, California, US

Thanks for posting this question. I am in the same boat and am now likely to upgrade to the A99ii. I also shoot Nikon (D3s, D3x, F6) and while the Sony cameras (A99, A900, A850) that I have used are not built like the Nikon pro bodies, I wouldn’t call them junk by any means.

Nov 09 19 11:20 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Tend to think of cars.....The car can easily go 150 m/h but your speed limit is 65 m/h,.. Stuck in traffic....Oh..well...
I bought a Sony a 7iii   42 mp full frame then off course 2 years later comes the 61 mp full frame.... then give them another couple of years 100..120..mpit will never end. The menus are over a hundreds pages.....
Wont make me a better or more creative amateur photographer....
Sure a sport photographer will appreciate a zillion picture per second! And a videographer will find features that he/she have been waiting for

Nov 09 19 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
I bought a Sony a 7iii   42 mp full frame then off course 2 years later comes the 61 mp full frame.... then give them another couple of years 100..120..mpit will never end.

Sure, you can wait, and then when the 2 years pass and they come out with a better model, you think you can wait again. In the meantime, you're not shooting. All those shoots and shots you missed while waiting someone else was shooting. Getting better photography technology has been going on since the first camera. Better film, better lenses, faster shutters, wider apertures. There is no point in waiting for the last best thing, because it will never come.

IMAGINERIES wrote:
The menus are over a hundreds pages.....

They came up with a "My Menu" tab where you can save your most used menu items in one section. You can setup the camera to always to to that Menu anytime you press the Menu button. There might be a  hundred total pages, but you can make your own Cliff Notes, so to speak.

Nov 12 19 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Francisco Castro wrote:

Sure, you can wait, and then when the 2 years pass and they come out with a better model, you think you can wait again. In the meantime, you're not shooting. All those shoots and shots you missed while waiting someone else was shooting. Getting better photography technology has been going on since the first camera. Better film, better lenses, faster shutters, wider apertures. There is no point in waiting for the last best thing, because it will never come.

They came up with a "My Menu" tab where you can save your most used menu items in one section. You can setup the camera to always to to that Menu anytime you press the Menu button. There might be a  hundred total pages, but you can make your own Cliff Notes, so to speak.

My point was that none of those "improvements" will make me a more creative "image taker".....

Nov 12 19 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Art Silva wrote:
Sony ... LMAO

PHP-Photography wrote:
Nikon.... ROFLMAO

You two are just having some fun... right?..... If I remember correctly Sony makes sensors for Nikon, or definitely did in the past.  The big three have great gear and I shoot with all 3. I need them for different types of work.

Francisco Castro wrote:
Just as an update, I went with the Sony A9, and love it!

That A9 looks awesome. At $3,500, it's pretty pricey. But you should get what you want.

LA StarShooter wrote:
I have a Nikon D750 and its paired with the latest and greatest offering in the 70-280mm f2.8. DSLRs do still have a long future. The model I use came out at the end of . . . 2014 and it still rocks. It's smart to buy dslrs if you want to get great deals that will last a long time. The mirror cameras don't offer for anyone doing commercial photography significant advantages that force you to firesale your dslr. The lenses in the Nikon lineup are formidable as they are in Canon.

Nikon made some excellent offers on the D750 from 2017-2018. You could own a Nikon D750 and a free Nikon grip for less than $1500.00 in 2017 and you could get the same offer for less than $1400 in 2018. If you were cool with a full frame Nikon 24MP DSLR with a free grip you got a sweet deal. I know I was and I took advantage of the deal both years.

I love where the new technology is going and I look forward scoring some sweet deals when I feel it's time to make the change, but for now my little Sony A6000 mirrorless, Canons and Nikons DSLRs are doing the job.

Nov 13 19 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Love the Arts wrote:

Yes I'm having fun but remember, a sensor is only a fraction of what a camera is. It only is the Eye Balls of the camera, you still have the electronics, the processor, the camera itself build and economic-wise, etc. This argument "well Sony makes the sensor for so-and-so" is utterly a ridiculous talking point as if Sony made the whole camera. No!
It is what you DO with those components or "parts" that makes it special. You can have one sensor model in a dozen camera models and ALL are used differently with different results.

Nov 13 19 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

Art Silva wrote:
Yes I'm having fun but remember, a sensor is only a fraction of what a camera is. It only is the Eye Balls of the camera, you still have the electronics, the processor, the camera itself build and economic-wise, etc. This argument "well Sony makes the sensor for so-and-so" is utterly a ridiculous talking point as if Sony made the whole camera. No!
It is what you DO with those components or "parts" that makes it special. You can have one sensor model in a dozen camera models and ALL are used differently with different results.

LMAO... without those eyeballs, the camera can't see. But I know what you mean.

I've been a Nikon shooter since film, But when I expanded to multimedia 720 and1080p video was calling, And, my Nikon D700 fell short so I had to make the Canon 5DIII shift. It's a different day in the world of tech and I'm just glad I caught all those great deals before the big 3 started to crank out the mirrorless brands that are on the market and I'm also glad that I made money before cell phones changed demand for pro shooters drastically. Most of my work is web and media design nowadays and I shoot content for my clients. I also like to shoot art photography for my independently published work.

I'm waiting for the big Nikon d850 body with a free MB-D18 grip sale For about $2,600.00 or the big deep discount deal for about $2,300.00 or better with no grip. .  I plan to stay in DSLR formats for a long time. I can wait for those prices to go way down.

Nov 13 19 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
My point was that none of those "improvements" will make me a more creative "image taker".....

Actually, it will. Better gear will be more reliable, and allow me to make quick decisions without worrying about "will the camera do what I intend". How many times has a photo been ruined because I didn't get the focus juuuuuust right? Having good gear will allow me to devote more attention to creation.

Better gear may not make you more creative, but better gear will make capturing what you envision less likely to fail.

Nov 15 19 08:40 pm Link