Forums > Critique > Pro or no? What does my portfolio say to you?

Photographer

JahSun Visions

Baltimore, Maryland, US

If you'd like a return critique let mi know

Peace

Oct 23 19 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

You've been on this site for 7 years, but you only have one model in your portfolio.  Out of the 17 photos you have in your portfolio, 9 of them are either out of focus or have motion blur.  Every image looks like you shoot with available light, and then simply use Photoshop to darken the areas that don't include the model.  Your metering in low light situations is poor, your compositions are weak, your backgrounds are way too busy, and images are just a half step above snapshots. 

Like I said, you've been here for 7 years.  If you haven't improved in all that time, then do you really need to ask if your work looks professional? 

I know this critique is harsh; if you want to be taken seriously though, then you need to start learning the SKILL of photography as well as the ART of it.  Stop relying on automatic settings and Photoshop to try and make a dull photo come to life, and actually LEARN how to take a good photo.  If you choose not to though, then why are you wasting your time here?

Oct 25 19 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/191023/13/5db0b333b419c_m.jpg
Your point of focus looks not to be of the model, but rather the sidewalk at the lower left of the photo in the corner. Make sure the models eyes are in focus.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/191023/12/5db0a952af622_m.jpg
The models right hand appears to be blurry compared to the wall behind her.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/191023/15/5db0d43dc9cd8_m.jpg
So what is the subject, the large expansive wall or the model?
[Ok, so the fifth wall hanging across the top from photo left is a cool looking face, thus a distraction from the model.]

Eros Fine Art Photo has pretty well described your portfolio, agree with his assessment.

I wish you well

Oct 25 19 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

What Eros Fine Art said.

Another thing... In way too many shots, the model's head is out of the cone of light. The problem is made even worse when the dark-skinned model is wearing such bright or even reflective dresses.. In. In at least one other shot, the model has a hairlight on her but no main or fill. Use of light is very poor.

Though you didn't ask about the profile, the profile suggests amateur: "So if you are new to this craft of photography art let us grow together." It puts you on beginner status with the beginning model.

Oct 25 19 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I don't feel the need to add much, so that's  a no from me too.
Get inspired,, then get out there and shoot more than just one person ...and it would definitely be beneficial to get more reading done on lighting, composition and Photoshop.
Good luck.

Oct 27 19 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

You may want to check your camera/lens calibration. There are a few out of focus shots when looking at the model. So no, its not a pro level but I do give credit to the setup scenes.

Oct 27 19 05:55 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

What you have produced is your conflict of creative vision vs skills. Low skill sets inhibit the implementing of creative vision in your case. The inability to consistently focus impedes setups as you may have to move to setup again and again. Your shots lack the care of a high skill set and thus you are very impeded. You also have conflicting desires: background vs subject and sometimes you emphasize the background at expense of the subject: this can be fine if you want to thematically declare that your subject is small in the scheme of things.

Overall, you are unaware of your flaws as you offer for review very flawed work that shows that post-deliberative contemplation may be overwhelmed by shoot euphoria. Improvement is unlikely.

Oct 27 19 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If your Models ( or other clients) are paying you to shoot them you have entered into professional territory .. And if you are making a living from photography then that is your profession

Further if You are making money from your photography and your Models or clients are happy wth the results then who really can criticize your photography

Myself I am not a professional because the types of Models I shoot dont typically pay photographers and I don’t shoot anything commercially for a third party client

Further the Models that I shoot with generally view my work as mediocre as they are used to working with better photographers

Better questions to ask others regarding ones work could include how do you view my skill level , am I imaginative , are my photographs interesting ? Etc

Oct 27 19 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Sorry: Not pro.

Oct 28 19 10:33 am Link

Photographer

GSG Photography Studio

Portland, Oregon, US

sorry not a pro

Nov 04 19 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
Overall, you are unaware of your flaws as you offer for review very flawed work that shows that post-deliberative contemplation may be overwhelmed by shoot euphoria. Improvement is unlikely.

We all started somewhere and most of us have improved. I would think that the OP would be very discouraged by this and the other very harsh remarks. To be sure he is starting out and perhaps his start is a bit slow, but he took the step of seeking the opinion of the forum and that is commendable. Humility is an open door to learning, a door we all should never close.

Nov 04 19 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Weldphoto wrote:

We all started somewhere and most of us have improved. I would think that the OP would be very discouraged by this and the other very harsh remarks. To be sure he is starting out and perhaps his start is a bit slow, but he took the step of seeking the opinion of the forum and that is commendable. Humility is an open door to learning, a door we all should never close.

If that's the case, then don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer.

You're right, we all started out not knowing what we were doing.  I used to belong to a site called photosig.com.  On it, people could rate your work, with either a thumbs up or thumbs down, and also comment on any photos you posted.  If I had thin skin, I would've given up on shooting back then.

Instead, I took in the criticisms, some of which were way harsher than what's been posted here, and worked on avoiding the mistakes I was making the next time I shot with someone.  I'm still learning after all these years and constantly seek to improve. 

Some people prefer to stagnate though and are content with learning the basics.  Others THINK they've achieved a certain level of skill and talent, but they kind of remind me of some of the early contestants on American Idol... they honestly believe they're talented, so they reject the critiques from those who know what they're doing and instead look for pats on the back from those who don't know any better.  In my opinion, those individuals will never improve.

Nov 05 19 01:32 am Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

Until a few years ago the critiques posted here would be considered very mild by MM standards of the day.  I’m not condoning harsh or disrespectful critiques at all but what has been said here is very accurate and truthful. 
This kind of critique might discourage some people and they give up.  Those people were never going to be pros anyway so they were saved a lot of time and energy.
The people that gave feedback here gave detailed explanations to back up their opinions.  They obviously not only know what they are talking about but were willing to share their experience and knowledge with someone who asked for that very thing.
Without that kind of input in my early years there is no way I would have grown and progressed to get to where I am today. 
We need more people willing to be honest and a little harsh sometimes.

Nov 05 19 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anyone serious about photography wouldn't feature  just  model after seven years.   Its not about being harsh or not but is about wasting time giving opinions to folks who aren't being real.

Nov 05 19 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

All 16 of the OP's portfolio images of the one model were uploaded to Model Mayhem on Oct 23, 2019.  So it's possible that after 7 years on MM the OP is now ready to ask the Forum if his latest work is to a pro standard, or not.

The consensus is no, it's not (yet).

There’s no place for cynicism about the OP and there’s a difference between delivering a constructive critique versus harsh criticism.

Nov 06 19 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
All 16 of the OP's portfolio images of the one model were uploaded to Model Mayhem on Oct 23, 2019.  So it's possible that after 7 years on MM the OP is now ready to ask the Forum if his latest work is to a pro standard, or not.

That is entirely possuble, but in either case:
a) if this is work that spans many years
or
b) if this is his most recent work,

... the quality is poor across the board and OP should know... and why.

Nov 07 19 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
I used to belong to a site called photosig.com.  On it, people could rate your work, with either a thumbs up or thumbs down, and also comment on any photos you posted.  If I had thin skin, I would've given up on shooting back then.

Pixoto must be a similar site to photosig.com.

Pixoto is a “score based” system for judging the quality of a photo, A score of 650 on Pixoto shows a photo that is better than 100 other photos submitted by fellow photographers, as rated by other photographers.

https://www.pixoto.com

Orca Bay Images wrote:
... the quality is poor across the board and OP should know... and why.

"The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." - Quote.

I am all for delivering a constructive critique, which should include both positives and negatives (wherever applicable).

However, I don't view cynical comments about the OP's motives, or the inference that he is not serious about his craft and is wasting his and/or our time by asking members to critique his photography as being constructive.

Nov 07 19 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

While I agree with some of the criticisms here that the background and model are competing with one another as well as you need to do some study on lighting, I disagree that using one model exclusively is not indicative of a professional. It all depends on your genre.

Jan 05 20 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

OP hasn't logged back in since October 29. Looks like Jorge's feedback was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's all your fault, Jorge.

(Kidding.)

Jan 05 20 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Orca Bay Images wrote:
OP hasn't logged back in since October 29. Looks like Jorge's feedback was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's all your fault, Jorge.

(Kidding.)

big_smile LOL.

Jan 05 20 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jorge Kreimer - Destroyer of Dreams  (kidding as well )

tongue

Jan 05 20 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Garry k wrote:
Jorge Kreimer - Destroyer of Dreams  (kidding as well )

tongue

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Destroyer of my own dreams as well.

Jan 06 20 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Phayes photography

Farmington, New Mexico, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
You've been on this site for 7 years, but you only have one model in your portfolio.  Out of the 17 photos you have in your portfolio, 9 of them are either out of focus or have motion blur.  Every image looks like you shoot with available light, and then simply use Photoshop to darken the areas that don't include the model.  Your metering in low light situations is poor, your compositions are weak, your backgrounds are way too busy, and images are just a half step above snapshots. 

Like I said, you've been here for 7 years.  If you haven't improved in all that time, then do you really need to ask if your work looks professional? 

I know this critique is harsh; if you want to be taken seriously though, then you need to start learning the SKILL of photography as well as the ART of it.  Stop relying on automatic settings and Photoshop to try and make a dull photo come to life, and actually LEARN how to take a good photo.  If you choose not to though, then why are you wasting your time here?

I'm sure my portfolio isn't very impressive either but I won't put any of my quality work on a web site to be taken by others. If models want to see my work I will gladly share it with them. I am currently working on getting a web site of my own back up to share and protect my work.

Jan 17 20 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Phayes photography wrote:
I'm sure my portfolio isn't very impressive either but I won't put any of my quality work on a web site to be taken by others. If models want to see my work I will gladly share it with them. I am currently working on getting a web site of my own back up to share and protect my work.

If you haven't read the thread, the OP left. Hasn't logged back in since October.

As for not posting any of your own images on MM so people won't steal them, your choice, I guess. But what makes you think people won't be able to pluck your images off your own website? And why do you think anyone would want to? Since you're admittedly not posting your quality work on MM, why are you posting your lesser-quality work?

Jan 17 20 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I'm sure my portfolio isn't very impressive either but I won't put any of my quality work on a web site to be taken by others. If models want to see my work I will gladly share it with them.

Isn't that like a car dealership putting ratty old used cars on their showroom floor, and keeping their new ones in a storage garage so they won't get stolen; and then telling the customers they'll show them the nice cars if they ask?

Your portfolio is only as good as your weakest image.  How many models will actually want to work with you if all of your images are weak?  Sure, some will gladly take your money if you're paying for shoots.  Some will likely turn you down as well though, because they want to build a strong portfolio that shows quality work. 

To each his own, I guess.

Jan 18 20 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

When I apply for a job, I only submit a crappy resume because I don't want them to steal my good resume.
I post my good resume someplace else, where everybody can steal it anyway.
Yep, that's how it's done. lol

Jan 18 20 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Phayes,

I can see why what you are "looking for are models that ... don’t discourage easily.

Jan 18 20 02:19 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I'm assuming the young lady in all your pictures is your significant other, sister daughter? At first glance at your portfolio I would have thought it was the young ladies modeling port not yours. With that said I see you are trying different ideas some work better the others. I'm not sure what you want to say?  We don't know who you are as a photographer. You need more models then just the one. Plus too many mediocre images you can lose half of them and you still would probably have too many. She's a pretty girl she has a nice smile but she's really not a model. Are you wanting to shoot models are you wanting to shoot portraits?  As of now I would say non-professional

Feb 11 20 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

JahSun Visions wrote:
Pro or no?

Do You make a living from Your work?

Feb 13 20 05:14 am Link