Forums > Critique > Need Product Photography Feedback

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Hi everyone,
So I am looking to start doing little side gigs here and there. I'm not a product photographer but I've been getting some experience lately. Here is what I have so far: https://yajhilphoto.com/products

Would this be good enough to show for craigslist gigs and e-commerce stuff?

Also, the picture of the man with the child, I know that's more of a lifestyle shot, but since it was for a Father's Day ad for the same skincare company, and there are products hidden in the picture, and I put the set together, I threw it in there just to show that work that I put into it. However, should I leave it in or take it out? Let me know! Thanks!

Jan 29 20 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Disclaimer, I am not a product photographer either.
I do shoot a lot of product but my goal is different than advertising. I sell used items online and it saves a lot of trouble to fairly represent any defects, blemishes, scratches, etc. So I put a penny by the "problem" for size perspective and make sure you can see the defect. I also describe it honestly. I get no returns.

It occurs to me that the photos where a person is holding a product, the product is very small. Maybe you could "float" another, larger image of the product into the image? If you are working under guidance from an AD then just ignore.

Hopefully somebody with more experience will chime in. Cheers, SD

Jan 29 20 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Disclaimer, I am not a product photographer either.
I do shoot a lot of product but my goal is different than advertising. I sell used items online and it saves a lot of trouble to fairly represent any defects, blemishes, scratches, etc. So I put a penny by the "problem" for size perspective and make sure you can see the defect. I also describe it honestly. I get no returns.

It occurs to me that the photos where a person is holding a product, the product is very small. Maybe you could "float" another, larger image of the product into the image? If you are working under guidance from an AD then just ignore.

Hopefully somebody with more experience will chime in. Cheers, SD

Hey! Yeah for me it was basically, "Oh you shoot photography? Cool! Can you shoot these products?!" lol. So then I had to learn how to shoot very reflective things and shoot based on what I was being asked for. For the shots of people with the products, I shot further away because we needed blank space for text for ads. We then crop in as needed. Some of these have been printed fairly big on banners so once that happens visibility is fine.

Still from your suggestion I went in and cropped some of them because in reality there's no reason not to. So thanks for that! The penny thing is a good idea by the way. I keep seeing ads for gigs in my area and I just want to make sure my stuff is on the right track. Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 30 20 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I think it's solid work, Yajhil. I'd hire you.

Jan 30 20 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
I think it's solid work, Yajhil. I'd hire you.

Thanks! Let's hope I land some gigs :-)

Jan 31 20 04:38 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Years ago a photographer friend of mine known for lifestyle and fashion sent me some images of jewelry she had shot asking if I knew anyone that would be interested in her shooting product and jewelry?  In reply I sent her a link to my friends site, she called and said  "OK got it, do you think they need an assistant?"  Here is the link to their site.  https://sanchezariasphotography.com/   I think you have a good eye and I believe you currently will find a market for clients that don't have a budget yet need a professional photographer.  If you want to make steady money or any money you have to realize a few things, your market and how much competition you have for that client you are wanting.  The economy is not great ( regardless of want is being said)  some clients that normally have a good budget still are cutting back.  They are not so quick to switch to an unknown and some don't think they need a professional photographer.   Some are reusing images.  Some clients want amazing work for no money.  They expect top quality with unrealistic turnaround time and price. Almost always the cheaper the budget the more demanding the client.  If you want to do product photography and be taken seriously then go for it. Put forth 100% and have patients. But don't dabble because in the end you'll do a great dis-service to yourself and those trying to make a living.  Rick

Feb 05 20 11:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

For me, no odd or imperfection things caught my eyes.

Feb 06 20 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

rick lesser wrote:
Years ago a photographer friend of mine known for lifestyle and fashion sent me some images of jewelry she had shot asking if I knew anyone that would be interested in her shooting product and jewelry?  In reply I sent her a link to my friends site, she called and said  "OK got it, do you think they need an assistant?"  Here is the link to their site.  https://sanchezariasphotography.com/   I think you have a good eye and I believe you currently will find a market for clients that don't have a budget yet need a professional photographer.  If you want to make steady money or any money you have to realize a few things, your market and how much competition you have for that client you are wanting.  The economy is not great ( regardless of want is being said)  some clients that normally have a good budget still are cutting back.  They are not so quick to switch to an unknown and some don't think they need a professional photographer.   Some are reusing images.  Some clients want amazing work for no money.  They expect top quality with unrealistic turnaround time and price. Almost always the cheaper the budget the more demanding the client.  If you want to do product photography and be taken seriously then go for it. Put forth 100% and have patients. But don't dabble because in the end you'll do a great dis-service to yourself and those trying to make a living.  Rick

At 37 years old, I'm still trying to figure out what it is that I want to do. I studied both video and photo in high school, then studied video in college but decided to switch to photo because the video program was full of students that never wanted to listen to a word I said. I felt invisible really, and it was team heavy so I decided if video was going to be full of people that pretended I'm not worth anything then I shouldn't do it. So I did photo and that gave me more of a voice. However, I find myself fading in and out of love with it. One day I wake up craving to do a shoot and the next I don't wanna look at a camera at all. When I was fully into it, headshots and portraits were my jam. Then 3 years ago I started a job for a natural skincare company shipping and packing and they asked me to shoot products. I said ok, and I don't mind it, but my overall struggle with photography is still the same. I just want what everyone wants really, to make a living doing something I enjoy so I am trying to look for that. Photography might still be the job for me, or maybe not, but I have to try a bit more to decide. The passion is not totally dead, I'm literally super excited now about the new Canon camera that's supposed to be announced this month. The fact that I'm excited means I should hang in there lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 09 20 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Selena Jain wrote:
For me, no odd or imperfection things caught my eyes.

Thanks! I spent a ton of time cleaning them up and I hated every second of that so I'm glad that you, a retoucher, thinks they look fine! Much appreciated!

Feb 09 20 05:11 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:

At 37 years old, I'm still trying to figure out what it is that I want to do. I studied both video and photo in high school, then studied video in college but decided to switch to photo because the video program was full of students that never wanted to listen to a word I said. I felt invisible really, and it was team heavy so I decided if video was going to be full of people that pretended I'm not worth anything then I shouldn't do it. So I did photo and that gave me more of a voice. However, I find myself fading in and out of love with it. One day I wake up craving to do a shoot and the next I don't wanna look at a camera at all. When I was fully into it, headshots and portraits were my jam. Then 3 years ago I started a job for a natural skincare company shipping and packing and they asked me to shoot products. I said ok, and I don't mind it, but my overall struggle with photography is still the same. I just want what everyone wants really, to make a living doing something I enjoy so I am trying to look for that. Photography might still be the job for me, or maybe not, but I have to try a bit more to decide. The passion is not totally dead, I'm literally super excited now about the new Canon camera that's supposed to be announced this month. The fact that I'm excited means I should hang in there lol. Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 09 20 09:34 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

I think as creatives we all have the passion and hunger that drives us forward to want to create amazing things.  We have to remember it's OK not to have it 24 hours a day seven days a week.  There are times we hit those blocks and ask if this is where we want to be?  It's fine to have those times.  Maybe the universe was telling you photography is where you want to be?  And you can always expand into film down the road. Betting you'll find that photography gives you a better foundation and your perspective is just a bit different then the rest making you stand out instead of being the same.  Rick

Feb 09 20 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

YAJHILPHOTO wrote:

Thanks! I spent a ton of time cleaning them up and I hated every second of that so I'm glad that you, a retoucher, thinks they look fine! Much appreciated!

Decades ago, I took a Commercial and Architectural Photography class in college.

There are two things that I remember vividly. One was an assignment - we were to select one of the shiny, reflective objects from a specific collection provided by the school and take an image on an 8x10 film camera (portrait camera, not a great set of movements available, no tilt or swing) and the camera, lighting gear or photographer was NOT supposed to be in the image. We would be allowed a single piece of film, one exposure. We had 3 weeks to complete the assignment, a very well equipped studio space and it was a fairly small class so you could get reasonable blocks of time to do the work. Final submission was the film and a contact sheet. You were not allowed to touch up the film or the print.
I did well but it was a challenging experience!!!! I did shoot a little 35mm film to get the lighting correct, that was allowed.

I would highly recommend tackling a project like that yourself. Even if it isn't perfect, you will find that you have less work to do "cleaning them up" later. If you did it 4 times over a year, you would probably reach a point where your images are print-ready or very close to it - right out of the camera. Once you know the techniques that work it will end up saving you considerable time.

Yes, I've gotten sloppy over the years. Most of my photography now is based on the importance of showing defects in used items. Totally different field of endeavor, I am my own "product photographer" but the photography is not the product I am selling. Still, I learn a lot and do keep an eye out for not making more work for myself. Most of my shots just get a single batch process in Photoshop Elements to resize and/or make a minor overall adjustment (color or Levels) and they serve the intended purpose. You may get assignments that are more exacting and should at least expect (and aspire to) that goal.

OK, the second takeaway? When giving us an assignment to make an interesting photo of a building (or feature of a building) the instructor advised us "Always bring a broom on location shoots." That has served me well many times when shooting models!!! Cheers, SD

Feb 10 20 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Yajhil, I too think that you did quite well, especially since you were dealing with some dainty, precious labels, some with white lettering on light backgrounds.  Some designers don't understand the importance of being able to pick out the product on store shelves, surrounded by competing product.  The 2 shots featuring people with tattoos (one guy, one woman) are way too much about the tats and not about the product.  I don't see their purpose.  Then again, I am not a product shooter.

Feb 10 20 10:30 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
There are two things that I remember vividly. One was an assignment - we were to select one of the shiny, reflective objects from a specific collection provided by the school and take an image on an 8x10 film camera (portrait camera, not a great set of movements available, no tilt or swing) and the camera, lighting gear or photographer was NOT supposed to be in the image. We would be allowed a single piece of film, one exposure. We had 3 weeks to complete the assignment, a very well equipped studio space and it was a fairly small class so you could get reasonable blocks of time to do the work. Final submission was the film and a contact sheet. You were not allowed to touch up the film or the print.
I did well but it was a challenging experience!!!! I did shoot a little 35mm film to get the lighting correct, that was allowed.

I would highly recommend tackling a project like that yourself. Even if it isn't perfect, you will find that you have less work to do "cleaning them up" later. If you did it 4 times over a year, you would probably reach a point where your images are print-ready or very close to it - right out of the camera. Once you know the techniques that work it will end up saving you considerable time.

Yes, I've gotten sloppy over the years. Most of my photography now is based on the importance of showing defects in used items. Totally different field of endeavor, I am my own "product photographer" but the photography is not the product I am selling. Still, I learn a lot and do keep an eye out for not making more work for myself. Most of my shots just get a single batch process in Photoshop Elements to resize and/or make a minor overall adjustment (color or Levels) and they serve the intended purpose. You may get assignments that are more exacting and should at least expect (and aspire to) that goal.

OK, the second takeaway? When giving us an assignment to make an interesting photo of a building (or feature of a building) the instructor advised us "Always bring a broom on location shoots." That has served me well many times when shooting models!!! Cheers, SD

Oh, I wish you could see the raw image. So most of these were shot on a plexiglass that is full of scratches. And not only that, but the labels usually have lines going across them that I have to erase, and all the dark caps and bottles have scratches on them. Also, the dark caps look chewed up on the bottom. No matter what I do, that's how they arrive so I have to retouch those things. I mean, I use a microfiber cloth and an air can to clean everything so the shot is clean, but I still end up spending an hour or two on the issues. I wish it was avoidable but I have to work with what I am given.

By the way, that sounds like a really good test to give students. I don't remember being tested like that in college. I used a 4x6 and all we did was that we had to get the exposure correct. At least that's what I remember. The broom thing they did tell me though. Have you really had to clean many places with a broom? I've never done it. Usually I will just kick something away from the shot or if it's small enough leave it and quickly take it out later lol.

Feb 10 20 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

rick lesser wrote:
I think as creatives we all have the passion and hunger that drives us forward to want to create amazing things.  We have to remember it's OK not to have it 24 hours a day seven days a week.  There are times we hit those blocks and ask if this is where we want to be?  It's fine to have those times.  Maybe the universe was telling you photography is where you want to be?  And you can always expand into film down the road. Betting you'll find that photography gives you a better foundation and your perspective is just a bit different then the rest making you stand out instead of being the same.  Rick

Thanks! I do suffer from blocks. It's mostly me getting in my own way. And I do it for years, like long stretches. I'll just sell my equipment and say SCREW THIS and then a year or two later something will come out that will change my mind. I've done it like 2 or 3 times now. It's not a sexy look lol. For now I will hang in there. Something always drags me back. Like you said, could be the universe. Thanks again!

Feb 10 20 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Fleming Design wrote:
Yajhil, I too think that you did quite well, especially since you were dealing with some dainty, precious labels, some with white lettering on light backgrounds.  Some designers don't understand the importance of being able to pick out the product on store shelves, surrounded by competing product.  The 2 shots featuring people with tattoos (one guy, one woman) are way too much about the tats and not about the product.  I don't see their purpose.  Then again, I am not a product shooter.

Yeah those two shots are more about showing the tattoos on the models and the product is secondary. Like "oh cool they have tattoos, those are nice! Oh, what are they holding? Ah, Tattoo Salve! They must use it on their cool tattoos!" lol. Something like that.

For example, I had to edit a video together and I used the images for it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B32RtnCH4_a/

I'm not saying it's amazing by the way, I'm just saying this was the logic behind taking the images. I'm learning as I go depending on what I'm told we need (and that changes every two seconds).

Feb 10 20 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

Yajhil, I like that short video and understand why you shot the tattoo images.  Remember, each time the client says they have something for you to shoot ask for 4 of everything, and ask them to pull from different runs.  Get extra caps and keep the best ones on hand.  It would be best if the stuff you shoot has labels hand applied on clean bottles by the design people.  You really did well, and if you can get the client to supply you better you will have an easier time on the next shoot.  I'm rooting for you.

Feb 10 20 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

Fleming Design wrote:
Yajhil, I like that short video and understand why you shot the tattoo images.  Remember, each time the client says they have something for you to shoot ask for 4 of everything, and ask them to pull from different runs.  Get extra caps and keep the best ones on hand.  It would be best if the stuff you shoot has labels hand applied on clean bottles by the design people.  You really did well, and if you can get the client to supply you better you will have an easier time on the next shoot.  I'm rooting for you.

Sorry, I just realized I gave no background to this story lol. So all of the shots are for the same company and I work for them part-time, shooting products, shipping and packing, and doing product production. The caps and bottles are recycled so they come with issues but they are inexpensive and environmentally friendly. As soon as you open the box and grab a cap or bottle, they have those problems. Some less than others but not by much. The labels we put on ourselves by hand and they are also inexpensive. Sometimes they come an entire roll of labels with printer lines going through them because the ink heads weren't cleaned enough. That or the labels come a tad blurry on the rare occasion. Often they aren't that bad but not high quality. Also, there is no real photo budget. I on my own, and at times with a coworker, walk around the office gathering whatever we can find to use for shots or we bring stuff from home lol. We pull stuff out of our butts to make it look like there is a budget. I think in total, in 3 years, we have probably spent no more than $150 on photo props that we tend to reuse in subtle ways to not make things look stale. I also use my own photo equipment for all of this.

When the job started, the company was out of my boss' home. We have since moved into a facility but things are tight. I really have had to push myself. Lots of failure, terrible lighting techniques, bad experiments but I've learned a lot. That's why I came on here to see if my stuff was good enough. My goal is to get some gigs, maybe under better circumstances, with somewhat of a budget and easier things to shoot lol. That or just new things to shoot that aren't these bottles. And thank you for the well wishes. I wish everyone on here, including you, the best. This is not an easy business for sure.

Feb 10 20 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

Yajhil, the background info certainly explains a lot.  I hope that the owner understands and appreciates your contribution of effort and talent.

Feb 17 20 11:05 am Link