Forums > Photography Talk > Bought a film camera

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

A used Nikon F100. Was in overall nice shape but the battery holder was broken and had a few other issues. Was pleased to discover a lot of OEM parts are still available. Was able to turn it from a bgn condition camera to a good condition one for like $40. Haven’t shot film in a while and its pretty easy to go from a nikon DSLR back to the F100. Similar control layout.

Feb 19 20 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

I got one with a grip that was all sticky and weird. I rubbed it with alcohol and then with dashboard rejuvenating stuff and now it’s great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7FxM1NJ56d/

I christened it with some CineStill 800T in LA’s Chinatown.

My father gave me his Nikon F, but I prefer the F100

Feb 19 20 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I always seem to have a film camera or two laying around, no matter how many I sell.

The one I really want to shoot is an early 50's Voigtlander Perkeo II. It is a high quality German folding camera - medium format ( 6x6) and a very good lens - Color Skopar 80mm 3.5 (Tessar formula).
I had one years ago and it took beautiful images. The shutter on this one is a bit gummed up but it fires and the flash sync works which renders shutter speed more or less meaningless.

One of these days...

J. Francis, your dad's Nikon F could be used to pummel a couple dozen F-100s into useless chunks and it would still work.
One of my favorite cameras of all time. I particularly love the way the back fits on, light tight without any foam seals to go bad.

I had a friend who ran a camera repair service in Fresno. He did a CLA on my F and told me that he'd only ever had 2 Nikon F cameras in his shop that he could not fix (FWIW he was from NYC).

One was found in the ocean, buried in salty sand for an unknown period of time.
The other was dropped from several stories up and hit the sidewalk.

Feb 19 20 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

I would like a medium format camera of one kind or another.

Feb 19 20 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:

I found this one, and many others over the years - at thrift stores. Once in a while craigslist.
None of those were as good as something you could get for a reasonable investment.

Hard to beat a Yashicamat 124g or a good old Mamiya TLR or RB67.
The folders are cool because of how compact they are and they can take beautiful images so it really depends on what you feel like dealing with.

If you get something too large, heavy or cumbersome to use you won't use it.

I had a beater Rolliflex with the Schneider 2.8 lens that was a great picture taker but fiddley and not as intuitive as I like.
Lots of options, probably best to avoid the Russian "hassleblads" and the Seagull stuff from China, both are pretty unreliable systems.

Feb 19 20 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:
I got one with a grip that was all sticky and weird. I rubbed it with alcohol and then with dashboard rejuvenating stuff and now it’s great.

Mine had a non-sticky grip, but its still loose around the base. May try a little contact cement. Was so happy to be able to buy, cheaply, new, needed, Nikon parts to complete it.

Feb 20 20 02:53 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

I got some Ferrania P30

Just arrived today.

Feb 20 20 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Charles Howse

Vero Beach, Florida, US

Here is my latest film camera: Zone VI 4x5
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8DAR-bhHvl/

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49566292601_96459c505c_b.jpgZoneVI by charles Howse, on Flickr

Feb 21 20 11:11 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:

Medium format is what I shoot probably 95% of the time (and closer to 99% for model work). Lots of options out there. Do you have an idea of what features and characteristics you most value?

Feb 23 20 06:49 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

AgX wrote:
Medium format is what I shoot probably 95% of the time (and closer to 99% for model work). Lots of options out there. Do you have an idea of what features and characteristics you most value?

I think maybe something light enough to take outside and handhold while shooting people. I see some people on YouTube carrying fairly big cameras around, but others caution that when they get too big they tend to get left at home. Although having said that, I wouldn’t mind a 6x7. Maybe the Pentax with the big wooden handle.

Feb 23 20 09:20 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:

I think maybe something light enough to take outside and handhold while shooting people. I see some people on YouTube carrying fairly big cameras around, but others caution that when they get too big they tend to get left at home. Although having said that, I wouldn’t mind a 6x7. Maybe the Pentax with the big wooden handle.

The Pentax 6x7 is my favorite camera, but not the one I shoot most often. It certainly can be handheld, as that's how I shoot it almost all of the time, but it is not light. That body, the handle, and three lenses make for a fairly bulky walkaround kit.

A Hasselblad, Bronica (they made a 6x7 GS-1; I use an ETRSi most of the time), Mamiya or a Fuji might be a better outside option.

Feb 23 20 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Fylde

Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom

Hi Guys, I'm new to MM though have some experience with using other platforms, I'm a hobbyist photographer and only use film format cameras, my main camera is a Leica M3, but I have various other film cameras, I also use a Leica iiiF, Nikon FM2 and Rolleiflex for shooting models and am currently looking for a 4 X 5 format camera to experiment with this year

Jan 03 21 11:54 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:

I would advise against using CineStill to try out a newly acquired camera.
This film can be a real roll of the dice with big swings in results on the same roll from frame to frame.
Use any regular production film to test your camera. After you know it’s working good then you can experiment.
CineStill is way too risky for important shots. I tried two rolls of this stuff. After the first roll I almost sent my camera to the repair shop fearing it was leaking light. Then realizing the film was at fault I shot a roll of regular production Kodak that gave me a sigh of relief. As a film shooter I put too much time into setting up my shots to risk them with this bootleg film.

Jan 04 21 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

The F100 was one of the only Nikon film camera I ever wanted that I did not own. I owned the F, F2, F3, FM,FE, Nikkormat. Never cared for the  F's after the 3 and Like the EL, EL2 and FA but never enough to get one. Have a N80 that I have only run one roll of film thru...never developed it, gone digital

Jan 04 21 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I literally have hundreds of 35mm camera bodies piled up around my office.
canon, nikon, pentax, konica, minolta, fuji, vivitar....
Lenses are easy to sell... bodies not as much.

But filmwise the only cameras I'm actually shooting with at present are...
Zero 612B panoramic pinhole (120 roll film)
Fuji Instax Mini 9 (Mini Instax film)
Toyo 810G view (Fuji FP100c, 4x5 sheet, 8x10 sheet)

Jan 08 21 09:59 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Hasselblad 501CM (with Polaroid back)
Nikon FM3A, Nikon F3HP, Nikonos V
Polaroid SX-70, 600, 250, Spectra Pro, OneStep+, Fuji SQ6, Diana Instant Square, LomoGraflok 4x5 instant back (pre-order)

The FM3A and F3HP seem to be appreciating in value at the moment. I just sold a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (to buy the 501CM).

I would like to move up to a large format camera this year, initially 4x5 (hence the LomoGraflok back), but I really want to shoot 8x10 Polaroids (while they're still around).

Jan 08 21 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
I would like to move up to a large format camera this year, initially 4x5 (hence the LomoGraflok back), but I really want to shoot 8x10 Polaroids (while they're still around).

The impossible project 8x10 polaroid product was super easy to work with and really fun to shoot.
The biggest thing keeping me from shooting it currently is the need for the back and processor.

if you know any old time commercial pros in your area you might ask if any of them has that stuff sitting around.

Jan 08 21 10:39 am Link

Photographer

JerryClark Photographer

Topeka, Kansas, US

If you are looking for a great medium format film camera that you can get for a reasonable price look into a Pacemaker Crown Graphic "23" with a film back.  There are usually one or two on eBay at any given time and they can also be found in the used equipment department at the few full service photography stores that are still left.

Jan 09 21 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

My favorite cameras to use for all time were my Conax RTS II and Nikon F3HP, which I'm sure it
saw at least 2,500 rolls of film through it. The only gripe I had with it was the snail like sync speed
of 1/80, but I also had an FM2 as a second body and that worked out great because it could be
used without batteries.

I always thought it would be great if that user experience could be translated to a DSLR.
That's were Nikon was going with the Df, but was way too much money for the camera.
It did look good though.

Jan 09 21 11:56 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nikon’s last SLR film camera is the FM3a. I sold off my F3HP for it and it’s still my 35mm SLR today. It can work fully mechanical without battery power, or in aperture priority mode with step less shutter speeds because of its unique hybrid shutter, (250 sec. sync speed). Very compact without a motor drive attached.
Lately I have been using this camera and my Hasselblad 501 a lot, (syncs at any shutter speed).
But I have my two Leica film point and shoots, the Minilux and it’s sister the CM, I still walk around with one of my 35mm Minox GTE’s, and I’m still hoarding packs of peel apart Fuji instant film for my Polaroid 180.
I don’t have a pro level digital, just my little Leica D-lux 7, which with a pocket wizard on the hot shoe has become my test shot camera for my studio light set up’s.

Jan 09 21 03:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Good piece on an often overlooked camera. I own bunches of bodies and lens from various producers. It seems whatever I travel and just have space for one camera, it's the Nikon F100 I pack.

Jan 20 21 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
Hasselblad 501CM (with Polaroid back)
Nikon FM3A, Nikon F3HP, Nikonos V
Polaroid SX-70, 600, 250, Spectra Pro, OneStep+, Fuji SQ6, Diana Instant Square, LomoGraflok 4x5 instant back (pre-order)

The FM3A and F3HP seem to be appreciating in value at the moment. I just sold a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II (to buy the 501CM).

I shoot almost exclusively with BW film and Deardorf 8 x 10 (sorry, not polaroid), but happy to talk equipment talk if you have questions.

Jan 24 21 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I bought a film camera too recently, and if you were going into large format...I would encourage you to take a long look at Sinar.  The bottom absolutely fell out of the pro view camera market and these formerly $10,000+ camera systems can be had for a song.  I needed a 4x5 initially just to prepare some transparencies for projection, and I had sold off my HORRIBLE Calumet Series 1 (The one with the faulty front rise lock that would always drop the front lens standard immediately before exposure) years ago.  I opened Craigslist and found someone getting off an old Sinar F with a good batch of extras and several lenses for a couple hundred bucks.

I made the transparencies, but also started playing with mating the old Sinar to digital systems. I found a good adapter that will mate a Canon body and did some interesting stitching experiments, using the rear standard movements to stitch together up to 12 frames from my 5Dmkiii.  Neat, and astounding for pixel peepers at 292 Megapixals of insane resolution, but there are limitations with focal length (Camera body depth +12mm for the adapter means lenses below ~80mm are not really usable as you cannot get infinity focus).  I then found the Phase One sliding back to mate my Leaf Credo back to it as well...since sensor is at the film plane, works with all focal lengths.

The modular nature of Sinar means that I can configure as needed, film or digital.  I eventually changed out the rear standard to one from an “X” with the cool red lateral shift knob, making that camera a fairly lightweight “C” model.  The Micrometer rear standard is much nicer if stitching images. Then I found a full on “expert kit” P2 with all the widgets including an auto shutter for a price that was almost criminal. Lenses...crazy good lenses, are down to the $200 range all day long. And if you have the Auto shutter, the DB lenses are even cheaper as they don’t work on any other system or even a Sinar if not fitted with the Auto shutter.

With all the micrometer adjustments, that Swiss built jewel is a joy to use.  It’s not nearly as pretty as Deardorf...but it is easily just as well built, more precise, and way more flexible.  I am starting to eye an 8x10 kit for it to handle a larger image circle when stitching, and when I find the right deal, ill add those components. Upcoming sessions will incorporate a few 4x5 transparency exposures alongside the digital stuff for comparison and “Hey, why not?...I have a few sheets of Fujichrome 100 in the fridge ....”

Hoping this sparks the large format version of the Canon vs. Nikon debate...Sinar vs. Deardorf.....

Mar 14 21 12:19 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

May 26 21 04:47 am Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

Studio NSFW wrote:
Hoping this sparks the large format version of the Canon vs. Nikon debate...Sinar vs. Deardorf.....

Haha! I love the looks of a Deardorff, with that tools it's about feel, the really slow process. It helps if you have a beard, a hat and play the piano.

The Sinar is a no nonsense, efficient precision tool.
I worked for years with Sinar, P and now P2, still love those camera's, schlepp them through rough terrain even.

But... looking at the beauty of most wooden camera's, tempting...

May 27 21 01:04 am Link

Photographer

david durkee

Long Beach, California, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:

I loved my Bronicas - an ETRsi and an SQ-A. Preferred the SQ-A as I loved the square format. The 150mm lens (thousands of them around) were sharp lenses but couldn't focus down to a reasonable portrait distance. 3/4 torso shots was as close as it would go. The less common 180mm was a dream for portraits, and the 50mm and 80mm lenses are super sharp. I didn't use my 250mm as much as I'd wanted and they have a really high quality 2x converter. The thing I loved about the Bronicas was the speed grip. Really strong and could do very fast advance with a flick of the thumb. Makes it easy to turn a medium format into an easy to carry camera. I only sold the system as every time I'd go to shoot a project, my wallet would spontaneously light on fire...

Jun 01 21 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

fotopfw wrote:

Haha! I love the looks of a Deardorff, with that tools it's about feel, the really slow process. It helps if you have a beard, a hat and play the piano.

The Sinar is a no nonsense, efficient precision tool.
I worked for years with Sinar, P and now P2, still love those camera's, schlepp them through rough terrain even.

But... looking at the beauty of most wooden camera's, tempting...

I don't have a beard, wear a hat or play the piano, but have loved working with models and my 8 x 10 Deardorff for years!   Also have a 4 x 5 Linhof - that is precision at it's best.

Aug 14 21 10:09 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

Still have my Olympus OM4-T sitting around; wonderful camera, incredible metering system; but wouldn't trade my Nikon D850 for a film  camera, ever!

Aug 14 21 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

The three things that I look for in a quality (vintage) 35mm film camera are the three M's
Mechanical  - not electronic Shutter
Manual - not Automatic programs etc.
Metal - not plastic or polycarbonate bodies.

As an example ... as fine and desireable a camera like the Pentax LX is ... I prefer the Pentax MX.

What 3x M 35mm cameras do others recommend ...
Nikon FM
Canon ?
Contax ?
Olympus OM-1 A game changer that showed you didn't need a big bulky camera to get professional results.
Other ?

Aug 24 21 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

You are looking for an Olympus OM-1 or (if you are flush with cash) an OM-3Ti (Awesome, battery driven metering system with spot metering and highlight/shadow bias buttons, but mechanical shutter and basically a hand built custom mod of an OM-4Ti

Zuiko glass is very very good, and the OM-1 is a tiny little workhorse.  They were my 35mm platform from ‘85 to my transition to digital age.  When I was published in Penthouse the feature shot, one of which was a 2 page spread, was shot with an OM-1 fitted with a Zuiko 21mm f 3.5 on Kodachrome 64. Common wisdom was that for that level of enlargement, you needed medium format, but that little Olympus system (2 OM-1 bodies, one silver, 1 black, no battery even installed in either one) created hundreds of pages of catalog images as well as feature shots published in multiple magazines.

I still have my Olympus quiver of bodies and a lot of Zuiko glass, but now it’s a “Collection” mostly just displayed in a case…can’t bring myself to part with them sentimentally, but I lived through the end of the film era and wouldn’t go back.

Aug 27 21 12:59 pm Link