Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Critique /advice /insight welcome!

Model

Timea Kiss

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hey everyone

I'm currently a freelance model and would like to join an Agency so I can get regular paid work easier. I'm having trouble getting accepted by Agencies because I keep getting told my photos aren't of a high enough standard, or I just get no response at all. So I'm not exactly sure what I should be aiming for in future shoots. If you have a look at my portfolio, I feel like each time I shoot I get slightly better (that's how I feel anyway, like I always learn something new). Is it a case of just getting more practice, or is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong? Is it the poses? The lighting? The outfit choice? My body? I'm pretty confident within myself so no need to sugar coat anything, although my fingers are crossed that people don't suggest more photoshop as I really like images that have a raw or natural feel. And I'm pretty sure agencies would want an accurate representation of what the model actually looks like right!? But yeah a little unsure where to go from here...

Thanks so much guys xx

Mar 17 20 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Disclaimer, I am not qualified to advise on these matters but will give it a go anyway.

At 30 years old, consider what sort of work you can realistically expect. There is a market but it is different from many markets that are available to younger models. You are a beautiful woman, that's not an issue. Figuring out what you have to sell and finding out who's buying will be paramount to success.

My understanding is that agencies want just a few photos of you in a two piece swim suit, front view, side view, back view. They want a photo of your face with no makeup. Zero retouching!!!

If you have tear sheets or a comp card that targets the type of modeling you want to do, that will be helpful.

Agencies won't want to know that you shoot nudes or "provocative" styles. Realistically, agencies may not be your best option. More on that later.

Be careful about letting photographers shoot head/face images from too short a distance, the perspective will make your face rounder and heavier looking than you actually appear in real life.
This image does you no favors, it looks heavily retouched and your face is straight on to the camera, not the best angle for anybody.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/191106/18/5dc37f1476f73_m.jpg

You need to work with better photographers, HMUA etc. Overall, the quality of the lighting, composition, etc. indicates photographers that are still learning their craft. That's fine, they could be customers. You'll have a hard time attracting higher quality work until you can post higher quality images.

I recommend you look carefully at your portfolio and trim it down as much as possible. Try to shoot TF or pay a team to produce some high quality images. Once you have those you can post them and delete everything currently posted.

As another option, consider being an art model. You could pose for drawing/painting classes and also for hire for photographers. Most of this work will involve nudity, something it appears you would be very good for.

I don't know that market either, almost all of my models are "civilians" who wanted to have some photos. If they were nude that was their choice going in. I've been lucky to work with some beautiful subjects!
Best of luck to you!!! SD

Mar 18 20 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Just brief opinions here.
You look great.  Your shots to the agencies need to be unretouched.  The trick is to facilitate shots that don't need to be retouched. Wear things that won't look wrinkled, but textures can be a plus.  Try to stick to wearing midtones and you'll make it much easier to get good exposure with no retouching.  You want well composed, properly exposed, soft-lit, dynamic, in-focus shots.  I don't see that except some in the "magazine 1 & 2" shots. (And that's where midtones might have helped, but they could also stand better cropping)  Dave Lamb could help you get there (but no retouching!).  Lensart and Michael Whilier could probably do it too.  I like Dave Lamb's lighting most.

Mar 18 20 10:05 pm Link