Forums > Photography Talk > Photographer - Model electronic comms devices?

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

What different Methods of Communication can photographers use to direct their models over long distances and/or in noisy environments?

Eg. A photographer/videographer using a super zoom or tele lens is situated onshore and their model is offshore onboard a boat.

I’d like to hear what new electronic devices are about today that are popular amongst photographers and videographers (e.g. personal wear - bluetooth earpods etc) to use as an effective method of communication with their models and/or team members in these types of scenarios.

I still use Walkie Talkies, but they're not always discreet, or suitable.

Apr 23 20 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Cattle prod
Dog training collar.

j/k

Call Me old school but I use body language or hand signals, seems to work. If the Model doesn't get it then I'm taking the walk.

edit:  I'm going to call them as recommended below by Ken Marcus.

Apr 24 20 04:02 am Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

try a cheap set of walkie talkies, amazon has tons, just set it on the ground near your model and she can hear your directions and just wave back that she has understood, one hand straight up means say again, one finger pointed up....well you get that one

Apr 24 20 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Camera Buff wrote:
What different Methods of Communication can photographers use to direct their models over long distances ...

Aren't you taking this social distancing thing a little too far?  wink

Apr 24 20 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have never had a need for these devices.

Apr 24 20 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Megaphones?

Apr 24 20 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

robert christopher wrote:
try a cheap set of walkie talkies, amazon has tons, just set it on the ground near your model and she can hear your directions and just wave back that she has understood, one hand straight up means say again, one finger pointed up....well you get that one

Yep I have only needed this a couple times but it works and I like the idea of having them.

Apr 24 20 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Aren't you taking this social distancing thing a little too far?  wink

Not the response I was expecting ... but an absolute gem just the same! Made me laugh, so thank you for that!

As I stated in my post, I do use Walkie Talkies. However my Walkie Talkies are getting long in the tooth and as I use them for my 'day job' as well as for my recreational activities, I am looking to upgrade to something more like this:

Turn Your iPhone Into A Walkie Talkie! - IP01 Power Bank, Phone Case & Two Way Radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7imftf-S_o

Apr 24 20 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Maybe I'm weird but I hate using gadgets to make my phone do something else.  If I need walkie talkies, I'd rather just use walkie talkies.

I got a darkroom timer app for my phone.  Nice app that does what it's supposed to, but I suddenly found myself having to track down my phone more than usual, careful of the display because the red isn't really darkroom safe red, and watch out for incoming calls/alerts that wake it up, don't get it wet....  More hassle than it's worth, so I just got a simple gralab.  Always there ready to go, easy to read and operate, does what I want it to do with no frills or unnecessary risks.

Not to say there aren't times when they're appropriate and great to have, but I feel like most people are more interested in having fancy gadgets than the right tool for the job because gadgets are "cool".  Are you trying to look cool or get the shot?

You say walkie talkies aren't always suitable.  Why not?  That info would help in coming up with a useful alternative.

Apr 25 20 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Sorry, Double Post!

Apr 25 20 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Gary Davis wrote:
Maybe I'm weird ...

Maybe we have something in common. smile

Gary Davis wrote:
I got a darkroom timer app for my phone ... I suddenly found myself having to track down my phone more than usual, ... More hassle than it's worth,

Maybe you're onto something! As I still find myself preferring to use a wall clock and a corded landline telephone when I'm at home or the office. No need to track them down, they're usually always in the usual place. However, when I’m out-and-about, I prefer to use my wrist watch to check the time and my iPhone for calls and messages. smile

Gary Davis wrote:
... I feel like most people are more interested in having fancy gadgets than the right tool for the job because gadgets are "cool".  Are you trying to look cool or get the shot?

I could try to look "cool", but I doubt I'd be very good at it, as I’m way too "hot" to look "cool". smile

Gary Davis wrote:
You say walkie talkies aren't always suitable.  Why not?  That info would help in coming up with a useful alternative.

Just as you had your reasons to explore alternatives for a darkroom timer, I have mine for first asking my MM peers to share their ideas on suitable alternatives to Walkie Talkies.

Remember, not all locations are suitable for broadcasting conversations over 2-way radio devices. If you are around strangers, do you place your mobile phone on speaker?  If my model or assistant has their own personal iPhone (many do) and a bluetooth earpod that can be discreetly worn in their ear, do I also need Walkie Talkies?

I’d rather carry and use the one device.

Apr 25 20 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Not that new but I use simple FRS radios. The better ones have more channels and better range and depending on terrain that can be several miles, some are waterproof and support hands free operation with a headset,

Apr 26 20 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Since most every model I've worked with in the last several years has an iPhone (or something similar), it's easier to just call them on the phone and have them put you on speaker.

Apr 28 20 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Since most every model I've worked with in the last several years has an iPhone (or something similar), it's easier to just call them on the phone and have them put you on speaker.

++

May 02 20 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

lol

Well,  that was easy.

May 02 20 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Not so easy in locations where Mobile phone coverage is not 100% reliable.

May 04 20 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Not so easy in locations where Mobile phone coverage is not 100% reliable.

I have found that cellphone service is spotty in the desert.

May 04 20 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I used to be a photographer askèd to fly power lines photographing structural defects out of fixed wing and helicopters. A costly and difficult task!

Guess what the Power Company uses today?  It's so small and quite and càn fly over urban areas at extremely low altitudes. New technologies!

Thanks for all your answers!

May 04 20 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

There are some very small, inexpensive walkie talkie type devices that have a shorter ranger and fewer channels than regular CB walky-talkies, but fit in the palm of your hand, clip on a belt, etc.  I have one that can be plugged into a headset, and I"m sure they makes some blue tooth these days.  I actually got a couple to use on boats.  (helm talking to anchor position)

Many boats have VHF radios and you can pick up a hand held.  One issue is they tend to be much more regulated than CB bands and you'll get every boater out there monitoring your conversations and possibly butting in. 

Besides needing a connection, another issue with a phone on a boat is the potential for it to get knocked overboard.  I'd rather risk losing a $40 mini walk talkie.

An issue with both CBs and VHF radios is while the model can leave the channel open to hear you, she/he would need to manually toggle the talk switch to speak back to you.

May 04 20 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

why electronic?
https://cdn.fishki.net/upload/post/2017/09/01/2370727/tn/09f2496fb53838e3d40eed73d115bdc2.jpg

May 29 20 05:29 pm Link