Forums > Model Colloquy > Models: Do you count the numbers?

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

This is just for models... if any are still paying any attention to this open version of Model Colloquy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you watch your carbs, calories, and other nutritional parameters to stay in shape for modeling? just curious. If so, how do you do it? Calculator? Rule of thumb? The bathroom scale? Is 3/4ths of your time at the grocery store spent reading nutritional labels?

I recently had a life-changing health issue that has forced me to watch carbs and sodium like a crazed accountant on PCP. I used to think shopping for a low-carb diet was bad, but carbs and sodium? Good luck. I'm doing it to save my health, which reduces my need for willpower.. Others may have to do it for professional purposes and they have my newfound respect and sympathy for that. To be honest, never gave it much thought until it was my ox being gored.

May 12 20 09:02 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I worked for 44 years in food/nutrition as a career, therefore had to learn all about such things. I can't look at a food item without it automatically going through my head whether that's good for someone to eat or not, and the reasons why it might not be. Of course I also learned what food items people who had specific dietary restrictions could or could not eat.

I agree with you that it can become really challenging to find foods that you would like when there are multiple restrictions involved. Under those conditions, you are basically limited to preparing everything at home, using ingredients which you are allowed to have. Perhaps if you could arrange a consultation with a nutritionist, they can help you compile a list of acceptable foods for you as an individual based upon what you can and can't have, because that's part of what they do. It won't be easy trying to get there by simply reading labels on food packages, and you will probably learn that shopping for things that are ready to eat is counterproductive and frustrating.

Personally, I have always eaten a healthy diet, with an occasional treat on a special occasion that might not be since I have no dietary restrictions.  But I have never used salt when cooking or eating at home. It's very difficult to find processed packaged foods which don't have excessive amounts of sodium added, although there are some.

May 13 20 05:27 am Link