Forums > Photography Talk > electronic shutter VS mechanical shutter?

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Just discovered that I have two options.....Somewhat embarrassing after so many years!
Are you alternating with both according your goals at the time of the shoot or, set on one mode all the time, regardless ?

Jun 06 20 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

My camera is manual shutter only, older tech. Canon T2i, I think they are at least on T6i now?

Can't keep up, no reason for it.

Seems like electronic shutter would be quieter and sync faster, both useful.
I'm certain it eats more battery too, the tradeoff.

Jun 06 20 11:17 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Depends.

On Olympus with flash I cannot use electronic shutter as it will not fire.  It only fires flash on mechanical shutter.

If I go to electronic shutter, the speeds go up to 1/32,000 second, much faster than the top 1/8000 sec. with mechanical shutter and also using that for HSS flash.

I've used electronic 1/32,000 to freeze hummingbird's wings in bright sun.  Below is a series I ran from 1/250 up to 1/32,000 second.

https://cdn.mu-43.com/attachments/wing-speed-test-jpg.710673/

Jun 06 20 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Just discovered that I have two options.....Somewhat embarrassing after so many years!
Are you alternating with both according your goals at the time of the shoot or, set on one mode all the time, regardless ?

I use electronic shutter almost all of the time. However as GRMACK says, with Olympus I must use mechanical shutter (Edit: when shooting with flash).

Jun 06 20 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If I m doing an outdoor timelapse, I will use e shutter to save on the mechanical shutter.  There are some limitations with e shutter such as banding under some artificial lights.

Jun 08 20 01:28 pm Link