Forums > Photography Talk > Tether extension solutions

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I use a desktop in my studio area. It is tied into several other devices so it is not mobile. I use a Tether Tools cable to connect to Capture One Pro. So long as my leash is long enough that all works. Every once in a while I need to move further out from my desktop. I have not yet found a reliable extension cable. Active 3.0 will occasionally work when the cable is new for some of the time but is just unreliable at best and flat out unusable the rest. I would like to try a shorter active extension if anyone knows where such things are sold. Amazon does not seem to be one. I don't need another 15 feet that doesn't work, just a few that does.

Bunny trail rant
Camera makers enough with the megapixel, FIX TETHERING. Why do we send all this info through a tiny tiny connector? I'll use a dang garden hose if it will work.

Jun 25 20 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

I probably don't have a solution, but just to be clear could you please give more details? 

Your computer has a USB 3.0 port?   USB C?

What camera you are tethering?  The camera has a USB 3.0 port?

And it tethers OK with a single 15' cable? 

You want to add an extension.  You have already tried the Tether Tools active extension cable?
https://www.tethertools.com/product/tet … ion-cable/

https://www.tethertools.com/product/tet … ontroller/

Jun 25 20 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Thanks for asking
I have both a USB 3 and a USB c. I use the USB 3 out of old habit to plug in my Nikon D7200
Yes a single 15 works good. I have tried several active USB 3 extensions with no success. I have not been encouraged to purchase the tether tools USB 3 extensions as unlike the normal direct to camera ones they do not have good reviews. The usual tether tool cables are the only successful way to tether. Nothing else is reliable in my experience. But I have little faith in a 50 dollar extension that has no greater power transfer than other active cables.

If anyone here has hands-on experience with the extension cables I would love to hear it.

Jun 25 20 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

CleanSlate Photography

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Randy Poe wrote:
Thanks for asking
I have both a USB 3 and a USB c. I use the USB 3 out of old habit to plug in my Nikon D7200
Yes a single 15 works good. I have tried several active USB 3 extensions with no success. I have not been encouraged to purchase the tether tools USB 3 extensions as unlike the normal direct to camera ones they do not have good reviews. The usual tether tool cables are the only successful way to tether. Nothing else is reliable in my experience. But I have little faith in a 50 dollar extension that has no greater power transfer than other active cables.

If anyone here has hands-on experience with the extension cables I would love to hear it.

My tether cable, while quite old now still works. What I did was get two 15 meter tether cables that have repeaters on them and connected them together then connected my cameras data / tether cable to the repeater and taped it all together.

Gives me about 25-30 meter range from my tethering laptop. While I never actually go this far out. It does give me plenty of room and latitude to move around without having to worry about cable length.

Hope this helps / I assume this is what your talking about as being your issue.

Jun 26 20 01:30 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have Tether Pro USB3.0 cables and a USB2.0 extension that I occasionally use with Canon 1Dx and 5DIV's on a Mac. I understand that adding an extension to a 15' cable may require a power source. Look at the side of the brick on the extension and see if there's a pin, 3.5mm if I remember correctly.

Jun 26 20 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Randy Poe wrote:
Bunny trail rant
Camera makers enough with the megapixel, FIX TETHERING. Why do we send all this info through a tiny tiny connector? I'll use a dang garden hose if it will work.

How many people do you think need to tether at greater distances than 15'? I would personally prefer a more reliable connection within standard usage configurations. Sorry, i can't sympathize with a fixed computer and demands on it for distance tethering. I use a MacBookPro for tethering, an iMac for retouching/editing and generally don't stray from that formula.

Jun 26 20 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

I go wireless into an iPad from Eye-Fi card. It is the jpegs from the 2nd slot, it is
fast enough for me and I can make some notes and carry on shooting knowing
what I need to about the RAWs for later.

Jun 26 20 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I would hate being tied to anything with a cable from the camera. Years ago we had to use a cable to fire studio strobes and I hated it.

I just use the Camranger and go wireless. Works good enough for previews while shooting.

Jun 26 20 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Storytelling-Images

Port Charlotte, Florida, US

Wireless! If you have to be that far away from the computer, the value of tethering is minimal.

Jun 26 20 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Storytelling-Images wrote:
Wireless! If you have to be that far away from the computer, the value of tethering is minimal.

umm...what is the value of wireless (un)tethering at that distance. Isn't the only value of wireless is to view on a larger screen? True tethering has other advantages, but not wireless. Even the largest monitor is tiny at 30'.

Jun 28 20 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:

umm...what is the value of wireless (un)tethering at that distance. Isn't the only value of wireless is to view on a larger screen? True tethering has other advantages, but not wireless. Even the largest monitor is tiny at 30'.

I'm tethering for the first time, in my new world o'covid shooting. In the past, I would have shown my model images on the back of my camera screen. But now I'm not getting that close during a shoot. So I am tethering to my laptop, which is close enough to the model so she can see images. Far from me (shooter), close enough to her. I don't love the wired connection (why I went with wireless strobe triggers), so I may look into wireless connectivity.

Jun 28 20 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

matt-h2 wrote:
I'm tethering for the first time, in my new world o'covid shooting. In the past, I would have shown my model images on the back of my camera screen. But now I'm not getting that close during a shoot. So I am tethering to my laptop, which is close enough to the model so she can see images. Far from me (shooter), close enough to her. I don't love the wired connection (why I went with wireless strobe triggers), so I may look into wireless connectivity.

Did you miss the part of the OP that said the photographer has a  desk computer in a fixed location more than 15' from shooting position? I was commenting on the utility of wireless previews when the monitor is so far away.

I've actually been tethering on a regular basis for almost 15 years since I got my first MFDB the Leaf Valeo where you had no choice but to tether. In the studio and even sometimes on location, I now use Capture One Pro which has a wireless preview option called Capture Pilot. I don't use it much because I feel like I can direct models more effetely without it, but with those years of practice I think I have some understanding of the dynamics of wireless previewing and tethering.

Jun 29 20 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

LightEnough

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Given the amount of trouble and aggravation you have so far, maybe a good laptop or an older second hand desktop might work.  I know, you probably have a calibrated screen and some kind of workflow, but if the 15' limit is too much trouble, maybe connect to something more portable?

Jul 01 20 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Randy Poe wrote:
Thanks for asking

Thank you for the details.  I am not familiar with tethering Nikon specifically, but based on the information you gave,  I might suggest perhaps try using the USB C port.  It will have a lot more power coming out.  (You would need a dongle or other converter.)

For example:  You could use the USB C port connected via a cable to a USB C hub like this:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TCDK10PMHSG/

Then plug your existing USB 3 tether cable into the hub.

Perhaps you can borrow an actual Tether Tools active extension and try it?  Your reasoning re: voltage etc. sounds correct, but it would be nice to rule it out.

Jul 01 20 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Warren Leimbach wrote:

Thank you for the details.  I am not familiar with tethering Nikon specifically, but based on the information you gave,  I might suggest perhaps try using the USB C port.  It will have a lot more power coming out.  (You would need a dongle or other converter.)

For example:  You could use the USB C port connected via a cable to a USB C hub like this:

Perhaps you can borrow an actual Tether Tools active extension and try it?  Your reasoning re: voltage etc. sounds correct, but it would be nice to rule it out.

That might be the ticket. I don't need a lot of extra lengths. If something connected at the edge of my desktop I would be good. Thanks, I think I will have to try this

Jul 01 20 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Randy Poe wrote:

Warren Leimbach wrote:

While I didn't go for this exact model I found one pretty much the same and I have done a few shoots with it now problem-free. I have an honest 15 feet from my work station now which is plenty. I have also learned if I install another ethernet port I can double the speed. I might do that down the line but for now, this has me working out the original issue. Thanks.

Jul 14 20 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Randy Poe wrote:
While I didn't go for this exact model I found one pretty much the same and I have done a few shoots with it now problem-free. I have an honest 15 feet from my work station now which is plenty. I have also learned if I install another ethernet port I can double the speed. I might do that down the line but for now, this has me working out the original issue. Thanks.

I am so happy to hear it worked.  Thanks for letting us know.

Jul 15 20 12:55 pm Link