Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > gain followers on insta

Photographer

Peet_nl

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Maybe a stupid question, but how do I gain more followers on insta?

I'm  a wideley published photographer, shot for the major magazines.

Fact is: my old insta account, travel, photography, thing i do for fun has about 850 followers. 

My proffesional account somehow sticks at 250 up and off..
And I see less talented photographers with a pretty large number of followers?

Ho do I gain these organicly? I dont wanna buy some.. not my thing.. wink

my insta: https://www.instagram.com/studio.peterverduin/

Tips and advice welcome!

Peter

Aug 13 20 05:17 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

I'm now going to stand up in church and proclaim: There is no god.

Your amount of followers on IG is all but irrelevant. If your IG followers increased 10 fold, you would have 2,500 followers instead of 250. What difference would that make? Following someone on IG is a casual act. And if a person follows many accounts, chances are they'll miss your post in their feed anyway. I would trade engagement over amount of followers any day.

You're a very good photographer. You don't need validation from the amount of IG followers.

Aug 13 20 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Baanthai made some really good points.
I was just gonna say "buy some" cause all that shit is fake anyways.

is there an end goal in mind? will the appearance of more online followers get you there?
what if you did something outrageous or controversial? would that attract more attention?
"theres no such thing as bad publicity"

Your work is REALLY great by the way i'm seriously impressed smile

Aug 13 20 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Peet_nl

Thank you both for your kind words and reply.   

I'm not to hung about havong many followers..  however..

I was approached by a firm who liked my photography and use of light. They (maybe) want me as an ambassador for their brand. Covid screwed some things up. 

However, when they saw my (old) insta account) (850 flwrs) they had doubts: I wasn't as hot as they thought...? wink

After that I started a new insta acount, the one I put here.

Just images. Thinking It would gain if I just post on regural base, an a consequent content. 
However: after 3 months its only 220 fllwrs. 

thats the story

Aug 15 20 01:03 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Did "Brand Ambassador" wish to include money in their consideration or did they want to give you the privilege of receiving a few of their items to shoot and post to your own account for free?  There's so much garbage out there passing as "brand ambassador" representation, it doesn't surprise me that the company in question is too stupid (er, cautious) to recognize the value of quality imagery to their product vs. reliance on the typical "follow count" consideration alone.

From what I see way too often on Instagram it's mostly bad shots of anyone and everyone wearing something; some off-brand (bikini, sunglasses, Caption T-shirt, bedazzled socks, vinyl boots, etc.) with typical marketing hype comments, such as,

"...Obsessed with these (insert product item here)."
"OMG, have to have!"
"Love these!"
"Just the cutest..."

Not once have I had the urge to jump online and order something based on a brand ambassador's (high follow count and tons of likes or not) Instagram post. Certainly not from an over-compensating pic that's clearly trying too hard to look like every other marketing or "influencer" pic out there as is the status quo.

A smart company would look at your work and recognize the potential for some high end use and portrayal of their product in some fashion, degree or another to help them stand out in terms of appeal from the rest, but - the bulk of social media marketers aren't looking for unique angles; just following the herd.  So, was there money involved?  If not, then...only a gazillion more out there looking for "brand ambassadors."

I'm glad you posted this, however, because I do like and appreciate good photographers and great photography, so your follower count did just go up by - wait for it -  ONE, because of it as I definitely agree with the others so far, you do very nice work.

Aug 15 20 04:05 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Peet_nl wrote:
I was approached by a firm who liked my photography and use of light. They (maybe) want me as an ambassador for their brand. Covid screwed some things up. 

However, when they saw my (old) insta account) (850 flwrs) they had doubts: I wasn't as hot as they thought...? wink

Leave them with their doubts.

Aug 15 20 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Peet_nl

ROUA IMAGES wrote:
Did "Brand Ambassador" wish to include money in their consideration or did they want to give you the privilege of receiving a few of their items to shoot and post to your own account for free?  .

I'll get their stuff and have to post some of the stuff on my social media and sometime metion them.  But were talking serious equiment.  Further I have to be present on fair and do demo's in shops.  I get paid for that part.

For me its a win/ win siutain.  I'll get new gear, and get noticed by a new audiance to fill my workshops and phototravels.
The workshops and travel are new business for me as the add agencies and magazines I used to work for are suffering big time from this pandemic, so I hardly get any jobs.

Aug 15 20 06:32 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

On Instagram it's all about the hashtags. Check out other photographers with large followings and see what tags they use. Also I looked at about a dozen of your images of models and I do not see anywhere you tagged the model. Is there a reason you don't identify the model? You should put her Instagram @ name on the photo and also use a hashtag with her name. Then all of her followers will see your image. If there is a reason you cannot post her name, then use a hashtag with the city you shot it in... Example: #praguemodel. Instagram is a platform where typically models get more attention than photographers. Figure out how to tap into that.

For several years I doubted the worth of being on Instagram, but honestly I started posting about 18 months ago and this year is my biggest earning year yet. And I only have about 7,000 followers. And half of what I post is cat pictures. People like to know about you personally. Try to incorporate some other images like behind-the-scenes stuff or candids during your shoots. Good luck.

Aug 15 20 07:15 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Oh...Well.. You are doing far better than me...I have maybe half dozen faithful friends!!
Looks like if you want to use IG to promote your work as a photographer you may have to pay a fee....

Aug 15 20 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Peet_nl wrote:
I'm widely a published photographer, shot for the majoor magazines.

This impresses me!

Aug 15 20 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Peet_nl

Mark Salo wrote:

This impresses me!

Thanks, but work is low for me too..

Aug 15 20 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Peet_nl

MoRina wrote:
On Instagram it's all about the hashtags. Check out other photographers with large followings and see what tags they use. Also I looked at about a dozen of your images of models and I do not see anywhere you tagged the model. Is there a reason you don't identify the model? You should put her Instagram @ name on the photo and also use a hashtag with her name. Then all of her followers will see your image. If there is a reason you cannot post her name, then use a hashtag with the city you shot it in... Example: #praguemodel. Instagram is a platform where typically models get more attention than photographers. Figure out how to tap into that.

For several years I doubted the worth of being on Instagram, but honestly I started posting about 18 months ago and this year is my biggest earning year yet. And I only have about 7,000 followers. And half of what I post is cat pictures. People like to know about you personally. Try to incorporate some other images like behind-the-scenes stuff or candids during your shoots. Good luck.

Thanks MoRina,  You have some good remarks here.  Reason I don't mention the model is that there all (95%) agency signed. The agencies doesn't want their personal name on Insta. All bookings, all contacts should go through the agencies.

But I sure can try to use some #capetownmodels, or #LA_model hastags. I use hastags on my images, but don't want to overdo the hastags..

And true, people wanna see models, esp nudity. Sex sells, it still does.

And my personal life? That is what my other insta is about. See me travel, having diner, behind the scene. That stuff.  This insta has to be about me as a photographer, me and my pics.

Aug 15 20 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Peet_nl

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Oh...Well.. You are doing far better than me...I have maybe half dozen faithful friends!!
Looks like if you want to use IG to promote your work as a photographer you may have to pay a fee....

Think you're right here.  See people with some +K followers. That cant be organicly gained. 
Maybe in the beginning of insta, but nowadays, no way

Aug 15 20 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Some suggestions:

You have poor engagement from your existing followers. Delete ghosts (followers that don't engage with you by liking and/or commenting). Good engagement is 30 to 50%. Instagram rates posts based on how popular they are. If your followers don't like your post then Instagram will never display them on the Explore page which is where people can discover your account.

Use relevant hashtags. #city and #hot aren't relevant to a shot of a model. If I was searching the #city hashtag do you think I'd click on a pic of your model? But that's not an interesting hashtag anyway.. Too generic. If you aren't sure which hashtags to use then check popular accounts that post similar images as you and see what hashtags they use. Using only a few relevant hashtags is better than too many.

Don't confuse your followers. Are you posting pics of models or street photography? Posting both will ultimately lead to lower engagement.

Engage with your followers. Reply to all comments and reply with a question to drive more comments. Ask questions in the caption to drive engagement. The more a follower engages with your account the high priority your posts will be in that person's timeline.

Engage with non-followers. You can't sit back and expect people to find your account. Go out and search for content that is similar to yours then engage both the account and the people that comment on that account's posts.

Post consistently. Don't post too often though. No one wants to see 10 posts in a day. Once a day is usually plenty. 3 or 4 times per week minimum. The less active you are the less likely it is that your followers will see your posts.

Finally, don't obsess with numbers, especially follower count. I've seen accounts with over 15,000 followers getting 50+ likes. That just tells me they bought those 15,000 followers. Try to gain real followers that will engage with you. I screen all new followers and if they follow too many people, like 5,000+, then I remove them as a follower because they'll likely never see my posts anyway. If they are a company advertising by following me, I remove them. Fake accounts, removed.

Popularity on IG has almost nothing to do with the quality of your posts. Lots of accounts that post really poor quality shots have huge follower counts.

Aug 29 20 04:08 pm Link

Model

Zipporah Shunise

Los Angeles, California, US

GREAT INFO here!!!
I would also suggest always tagging your personal account or the model acct when appropriate.
Also fill in the “add location” area.
Only use 5-7 hash tags.
Click “advanced settings” which is greyed out at the bottom of the options (before hitting the SHARE button). And choose ALT TEXT (At the very bottom) to insert descriptions for people who are visually impaired.

I started doing the last 2 suggestions and can definitely tell the difference in engagement & follows.

Well you’ve gained a new follower here! Good idea including your link.
GOOD LUCK!

Zipporah (Zee)

Instinct Images wrote:
Some suggestions:

You have poor engagement from your existing followers. Delete ghosts (followers that don't engage with you by liking and/or commenting). Good engagement is 30 to 50%. Instagram rates posts based on how popular they are. If your followers don't like your post then Instagram will never display them on the Explore page which is where people can discover your account.

Use relevant hashtags. #city and #hot aren't relevant to a shot of a model. If I was searching the #city hashtag do you think I'd click on a pic of your model? But that's not an interesting hashtag anyway.. Too generic. If you aren't sure which hashtags to use then check popular accounts that post similar images as you and see what hashtags they use. Using only a few relevant hashtags is better than too many.

Don't confuse your followers. Are you posting pics of models or street photography? Posting both will ultimately lead to lower engagement.

Engage with your followers. Reply to all comments and reply with a question to drive more comments. Ask questions in the caption to drive engagement. The more a follower engages with your account the high priority your posts will be in that person's timeline.

Engage with non-followers. You can't sit back and expect people to find your account. Go out and search for content that is similar to yours then engage both the account and the people that comment on that account's posts.

Post consistently. Don't post too often though. No one wants to see 10 posts in a day. Once a day is usually plenty. 3 or 4 times per week minimum. The less active you are the less likely it is that your followers will see your posts.

Finally, don't obsess with numbers, especially follower count. I've seen accounts with over 15,000 followers getting 50+ likes. That just tells me they bought those 15,000 followers. Try to gain real followers that will engage with you. I screen all new followers and if they follow too many people, like 5,000+, then I remove them as a follower because they'll likely never see my posts anyway. If they are a company advertising by following me, I remove them. Fake accounts, removed.

Popularity on IG has almost nothing to do with the quality of your posts. Lots of accounts that post really poor quality shots have huge follower counts.

Sep 16 20 01:10 pm Link