Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Wondering Why . . . ?

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

DCurtis wrote:

Focuspuller wrote:
From Wikipedia:

"Woods was a founding member of the League of the South, a neo-Confederate organization.[10][11] In 1995, Woods also defended the position of the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War and condemned the 19th-century abolitionist movement."

Good to know you follow this fringey "libertarian", Dan. Just spare us, OK? And BTW, it's not the lockdowns, it's the PANDEMIC. Maybe in your philosophy, the cure is the problem?

you are full of Joe Biden[/quote

Ha! And YOU must be so PROUD of your BOY.

Sep 30 20 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

I don't propose to argue about the pandemic, but one thing I have noticed over the years with various sites: over moderation sounds the death knell for sites.
Heated controversy (aka virtual fist fights) attract complaints from people who feel excluded and want an environment that is more genteel, but when the moderation chucks out the hot heads and gives the resentful what they asked for it turns out that they have nothing they really wanted to say after all - they were just reacting to what they were reading. The result is that a thriving community is reduced to a bland community whose members are largely uninterested in a pretty much anything.
Over here we even saw one site kill itself stone dead through over-moderation when the clampdowns coincided with a successful initiative to develop a rival to it.
In time I expect that site in turn to follow the same self destructive pattern. People don't want to be policed, just a few people want - desperately - other people to be policed.

Sep 30 20 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Focuspuller wrote:

From Wikipedia:

"Woods was a founding member of the League of the South, a neo-Confederate organization.[10][11] In 1995, Woods also defended the position of the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War and condemned the 19th-century abolitionist movement."

Good to know you follow this fringey "libertarian", Dan. Just spare us, OK? And BTW, it's not the lockdowns, it's the PANDEMIC. Maybe in your philosophy, the cure is the problem?

so what does that have to do with the "Lockdowns Are Crushing the Developing World"? and yeah, it is the lockdowns - there is no pandemic in Africa.

and more yeah, your ideology is killing children. you are advocating the killing of children, because you are afraid of catching the sniffles.

Sep 30 20 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

DCurtis wrote:

so what does that have to do with the "Lockdowns Are Crushing the Developing World"? and yeah, it is the lockdowns - there is no pandemic in Africa.

and more yeah, your ideology is killing children. you are advocating the killing of children, because you are afraid of catching the sniffles.

you are advocating the killing of children. I know, they are black children, but they are still children.

Sep 30 20 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

DCurtis wrote:

"so what does that have to do with the "Lockdowns...?"

Like Trump, any quote from ANY source, right? You want to quote the last Confederate. Maybe in your circle that counts as credible.

"...there is no pandemic in Africa."

Thanks for bringing that up. First, not true. Second,  from Science magazine (you have heard of SCIENCE, right?);

"Measures such as travel restrictions, curfews and school closures were implemented early in Africa compared with other continents, often before an African country had detected a case.... The rapid response most likely led to a slower spread of the infection..."

In other words, unlike the non-response from the failed trump regime, African countries took an ACTIVE role and PROACTIVELY took action, lessening the pandemic impact. At least the corrupt autocrats in Africa DID SOMETHING with their power, unlike our despot manque, who defines incompetence.

"you are advocating the killing of children, because you are afraid of catching the sniffles."

Beneath contempt.

Oct 01 20 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Moderator Note!

Outoffocus wrote:
I don't propose to argue about the pandemic, but one thing I have noticed over the years with various sites: over moderation sounds the death knell for sites.
Heated controversy (aka virtual fist fights) attract complaints from people who feel excluded and want an environment that is more genteel, but when the moderation chucks out the hot heads and gives the resentful what they asked for it turns out that they have nothing they really wanted to say after all - they were just reacting to what they were reading. The result is that a thriving community is reduced to a bland community whose members are largely uninterested in a pretty much anything.
Over here we even saw one site kill itself stone dead through over-moderation when the clampdowns coincided with a successful initiative to develop a rival to it.
In time I expect that site in turn to follow the same self destructive pattern. People don't want to be policed, just a few people want - desperately - other people to be policed.

Interesting timing on your observation as this thread is getting close to requiring some (over)moderation.

The folks responsible might want to check themselves before they wreck themselves the thread.

Oct 01 20 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Joe Tomasone wrote:

Interesting timing on your observation as this thread is getting close to requiring some (over)moderation.

The folks responsible might want to check themselves before they wreck themselves the thread.

Joe,  if "you are advocating the killing of children. I know, they are black children, but they are still children." isn't out of bounds, what is?

Oct 01 20 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Joe,  if "you are advocating the killing of children. I know, they are black children, but they are still children." isn't out of bounds, what is?

I'm reserving judgment on that as I can fathom a valid argument for the statement, but yes, it did draw my full attention.

Oct 01 20 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Joe Tomasone wrote:

I'm reserving judgment on that as I can fathom a valid argument for the statement, but yes, it did draw my full attention.

PM me if you want, but I would like to know the valid argument for accusing me of racism.

Oct 01 20 11:31 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

oops

Oct 01 20 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Outoffocus

Worcester, England, United Kingdom

Joe Tomasone wrote:

I think it's a lot like a pub. A pub gets popular and for a while it is buzzing.  Then one day owner or manager does something or says something, or introduces a policy, that puts the wrong noses out of joint, and there is a migration. Once the migration picks up it gains momentum and becomes unstoppable. After the migration the management - after they get over the WTF just happened bit - restyle the place, get some new drinks in etc etc, but it doesn't amount to much, because the people were never there for that reason, they were there because it was perceived to be the place to be.

PersonallyI have lost my appetite for engaging in controversy, so I am not lamenting the loss of anything that matters to me particularly, it's just by way of observation. I have seen it happen twice, and each time the management made the mistake of thinking it was their place to govern. Technically true, but if people don't want to be there what is there to govern? Nothing.
It ends with a few old timers who hang on out of inertia and because they have a few well established relationships with each other, but the life has gone out of it.

Oct 02 20 01:42 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sometimes it is a no win situation.  If your problem is rabble rousers on one side and people that want to sit and have a drink in peace, you are going to do something and lose customers or you aren't going to do anything and lose customers. 

Prior to my state passing a law that prohibited smoking in restaurants, the non-smokers were driven out by the smokers.  More than once I had smokers intentionally direct their smoke into my face, or blow it into my face, and their attitude was that it is a restaurant /bar and I should expect smoke.  There was a difference between expecting smoke and have people force something unpleasant and unhealthy, literally, down my throat.  Of courses the smokers are the crowd that does the best for themselves group (even though smoking is delivering carcinogens straight to the lungs and blood stream)  and what is best for them sucks for everyone else, but tough shit.

I was out in a Lancaster County Restaurant and waited a long, long time for a table in the non smoking section, only to be rewarded with a table right next to the smoking section.  It was not a pleasant meal and I told management so, and have never been back.  They expressed concerns about driving smoking customers away, as they were an important part of their business.  I pointed out that late at night, they still had people waiting for non-smoking tables, but the smoking section had empty tables the entire evening.   I suggested they were ignoring their dominate customer group.

I get what you are saying, but ultimately, like the restaurant attempting to please the smoker, they drove away other customers.  Maybe smokers buy more alcohol. Maybe they don't.  But it is also more expensive to clean up after them.  The airlines saved big money on plane cleaning after they banned smoking.  Ultimately, by making an effort to not drive away the more obnoxious customers, businesses drive away their least obnoxious customers.

Ignoring conflicts between customer groups doesn't solve the problem.

Oct 02 20 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Joe Tomasone wrote:

Still waiting, Joe. What is the "valid argument"?

Oct 06 20 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Still waiting, Joe. What is the "valid argument"?

Re-reading that part of the thread again now, I’m not sure there is one.

Oct 06 20 03:57 pm Link