Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > the thing about having to wear a mask in public is

Photographer

JustHenry

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Before COVID all my left leaning friends had a saying they loved to spout..."My Body, My Choice".  Now my left leaning friends are wanting a government directive to wear a mask.  What happened to My Body, My Choice?

Nov 06 20 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

JustHenry wrote:
Before COVID all my left leaning friends had a saying they loved to spout..."My Body, My Choice".  Now my left leaning friends are wanting a government directive to wear a mask.  What happened to My Body, My Choice?

"My Body-My Choice"--- a debate about whether one person has a "right" to choose  whether to be pregnant or not. Their "choice" impacts them, and no one else.

Mask mandates--- impacting the entire community--- slowing the spread of a serious disease---

I love these "masks violate my rights" idiots.

They are the type who feel:

their rights are abridged because they cant scream "FIRE" in a crowded theater...

or jump in their car after a couple six packs and drive any damn place they choose. After all---"they" paid for the road----

Speed limits infringe on their rights.

the poor little snowflakes---- they get their panties all in a bunch if they even fleetingly have to consider anyone but their own selfish little worlds...

Nov 06 20 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

OOPS, misfire on the quote, my bad, still getting used to the functionality here.

Nov 06 20 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Their "choice" impacts them, and no one else.
Oh really, let's think that one through shall we?

Going back specifically to the mask issue, if I'm not wearing a mask and you are then you are protected, right?  If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask.

Nov 06 20 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

JustHenry wrote:

Going back specifically to the mask issue, if I'm not wearing a mask and you are then you are protected, right?  If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask.

As for the abortion issue---way off topic here, I dont mean to minimize the fatal impact on the fetus--- but the impact of a woman's choice to terminate a pregnancy is pretty damn unlikely to KILL anyone in her community... But you know that-- and are just grasping at straws to justify your position.

I wont waste any more time on you---- that isnt how masks help stop the spread---but YOU know that--YOU have had the fact YOUR mask helps stop YOU from spreading YOUR infection to others in public explained to you  for MONTHS now---but YOU choose not to "get it".

Obviously facts have no interest to you.

Nov 06 20 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:

"My Body-My Choice"--- a debate about whether one person has a "right" to choose  whether to be pregnant or not. Their "choice" impacts them, and no one else.

Mask mandates--- impacting the entire community--- slowing the spread of a serious disease---

I love these "masks violate my rights" idiots.

They are the type who feel:

their rights are abridged because they cant scream "FIRE" in a crowded theater...

or jump in their car after a couple six packs and drive any damn place they choose. After all---"they" paid for the road----

Speed limits infringe on their rights.

the poor little snowflakes---- they get their panties all in a bunch if they even fleetingly have to consider anyone but their own selfish little worlds...

You forgot the greatest assault on individual liberty since fluoridation of drinking water: SEAT BELT LAWS.

Nov 06 20 04:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

rfordphotos wrote:

You do realize there is a child that dies as a result of that "choice".

Nov 06 20 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

I see some folks here haven't read the CDC's recent release stating decades of studies show cloth masks don't help stop the spread of flu like viruses.  No I'm not going to post a link.  When I heard this I had to look it up myself so you can do the same.
The basis of my argument and it's affect on a life are valid and relevant.  You can give me the Piers Morgan hand wave if you wish but it is clearly a deflection.  If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask.

Nov 06 20 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

rfordphotos wrote:
but YOU know that--YOU have had the fact YOUR mask helps stop YOU from spreading YOUR infection to others in public .

You are assuming I am infected. And we all know what happens when yo assume.

Nov 06 20 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:
but YOU know that--YOU have had the fact YOUR mask helps stop YOU from spreading YOUR infection to others in public .

JustHenry wrote:
You are assuming I am infected. And we all know what happens when yo assume.

yeah, its "someone else" who infected the 120,000 "other people" YESTERDAY---- not you.

I "assume" you can figure out what that means...but you keep proving me wrong.

Nov 06 20 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

rfordphotos wrote:

rfordphotos wrote:

yeah, its "someone else" who infected the 120,000 "other people" YESTERDAY---- not you.

I "assume" you can figure out what that means...but you keep proving me wrong.

I live alone.  I work from home.  My almost girlfriend lives 2.5 hours away and I haven't seen her in months.  State law mandates I wear a mask inside the grocery store.  Aside from the grocery store, about the only places I go are local parks (where I practice social distancing) and local forests (where no one else is around).  I'm almost as risk free as Tom Hanks and Spalding in Castaway.  But I'm guessing you would have Tom Hanks and Spaulding wear masks if they remade that movie today.

Nov 06 20 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

JustHenry wrote:
I live alone.  I work from home.  My almost girlfriend lives 2.5 hours away and I haven't seen her in months.  State law mandates I wear a mask inside the grocery store.  Aside from the grocery store, about the only places I go are local parks (where I practice social distancing) and local forests (where no one else is around).  I'm almost as risk free as Tom Hanks and Spalding in Castaway.  But I'm guessing you would have Tom Hanks and Spaulding wear masks if they remade that movie today.

so what's your point?

Dont know of a single "mask mandate"----world wide---- that requires you to wear a mask when you are alone, or out in the woods etc etc etc...

I also live alone, and I am disabled. I dont leave the house if I dont have to because it is an enormous pain in the ass to do so.... I have groceries delivered (thank you InstaCart, and your brave drivers)... I am as risk free as anyone in California...

But I wear a mask when I answer the door... or take the garbage out to the street, or talk to my neighbors over the fence... because--- it just MIGHT help and it costs me absolutely NOTHING to do...

But as can easily be seen on the news---not everyone is willing to do the right thing---- some morons just dont get the principle of helping others--- So yeah---- I support a national mask mandate. I firmly believe it would have saved lives---and would save more in the future.

I -of course- cant prove it, but I am willing to bow to the globally recognized experts (Fauci, Birx, Hahn) who DO  know ---masks save lives---- not a bunch of idiots like Rush or Sean or the rest of the dregs of alt right "thought" who have told us Covid is "just the flu" or a media hoax.

Nov 06 20 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

I've personally known 8 people who have contracted COVID, none required hospitalization and all recovered in about a week.  By contrast I knew one person who contracted SARS and they died in about 4 days.  COVID has been politicized.  COVID is being exploited for two reasons 1) to destroy thriving economies so average citizens become completely dependent on the government and 2) to get people used to the government telling you what you can and can't do without actually passing laws, and the sheep are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Nov 07 20 01:49 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

JustHenry wrote:
I've personally known 8 people who have contracted COVID, none required hospitalization and all recovered in about a week.  By contrast I knew one person who contracted SARS and they died in about 4 days.  COVID has been politicized.  COVID is being exploited for two reasons 1) to destroy thriving economies so average citizens become completely dependent on the government and 2) to get people used to the government telling you what you can and can't do without actually passing laws, and the sheep are buying it hook, line and sinker.

So what? You have "personally known" 8 covid patients.

I have known only three so far--- all three were hospitalized, one is still in the ICU, the other two have come home (one was in and quickly out of ICU and one was never put in the ICU)... Age range ~40-70.

By contrast, I know four or five who died INSTANTLY (or close to it) of heart attacks. Some diseases have different mortality rates and modes than others..

What does that prove? Not one damn thing.

Can you offer ANY proof for your allegations?

No? I didnt think so. Just another Trumpist fantasy, another conspiracy theory trying to deflect the glaring light away from the DISMAL performance of Donald Trump as a leader.

Nov 07 20 02:09 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

JustHenry wrote:

A word, phrase or slogan is not always applicable to different situations.  It is a thoughtless and disingenuous thing to turn the slogan, "My body, my choice" into something relative to communicative diseases.  It is, in fact, a controversial slogan because there is another life at stake.  With trump-19 flu, there are many lives at stakes.  So, how does it possibly apply to the trump-19 flu situation after a rational evaluation?

A woman can avoid getting pregnant with various birth control, but something as simple as an antihistamine can render a popular form of birth control ineffective.  A condom can tear or a person could intentionally sabotage one,  In which case, a person is trying to override a woman's choice to become pregnant and then possibly curtail her ability to make decisions regarding HER pregnancy, since intentionally thwarting someone's birth control is an extremely controlling move.  Do you think that is fair to get someone pregnant against her wishes?  Do you think it is fair for a person with a gentile warts, herpes or HIV to have sex with another person because it is his/her body and therefore his/her choice, which supersedes the other person's wishes?

Smokers have the right to smoke and for decades, I had to endure their right to smoke.  My right not to breath their dangerous chemicals was irrelevant to them.  Even if I wore a mask, they fouled my clothes and bothered my eyes and often drove me out of the establishment which I had as much right to be in as them.

You seem to be in the same camp as smokers.  You seem to think that you have a right to breath your disease into my space.  If it is "My body, my choice," to not wear a mask, that doesn't mean I am giving someone permission to spread what they have, any more than they are giving me permission to spread what I have.  It isn't a matter of doing what is the individual choice.  It is a matter of protecting each other from things we can't see or control.

I will also point out that many of your friends are trying to invalidate the "My body, my choice" philosophy, while declaring it valid when it suits their purposes to harm other people.  Nice.

A friend of mine just came down with trump-19 flu.  She has been very careful.  Always wearing a mask.  Rarely venturing out into public.  But she is an avid bike rider.  The Friday before election day, her biking partner came over and they went for a ride.  At some point he was in her house.  By Wednesday she was sick.  The bike partner still doesn't show any symptoms, but he was the most likely spreader.  I am sure that he had no intention of making his good friend sick, but he did.  She stood in line to vote for some unknown reason.  Perhaps because of trump's threats to nullify her mail in vote.  But she wore a mask at the polling place.  Even then, if you knew she had trump-19 flu, would stand a mere six feet away from her for a couple of hours, your mask on or not?  So, everyone of your right leaning friends that thinks wearing a mask is the same as dealing with an unwanted or dangerous pregnancy, is a bit of a selfish, unthoughtful, egocentric ass.  Just like many smokers.

Nov 09 20 07:21 am Link

Photographer

StudioRaymo

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US

Camera Buff wrote:
The cool thing about having to wear a mask in public is people notice my eyes more ☺️

Beautiful eyes do seem to pop when not competing with other features.

Nov 25 20 09:50 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

JustHenry wrote:
I'm almost as risk free as Tom Hanks and Spalding in Castaway.  But I'm guessing you would have Tom Hanks and Spaulding wear masks if they remade that movie today.

Wilson.

Carry on

Nov 25 20 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

What is the big issue about wearing a mask!!??... My wife is from Japan and, almost in all East Asian countries, years before Covid-19, it was normal and expected to wear a mask if you have a cold, or the flue,  or any infectious respiratory illness.  No big deal!! Just out of respect for the people around you! What is so special about the US?

Nov 25 20 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Coronavirus: Next two weeks 'critical' for Japan
As cases begin an upswing into a third wave, experts fear that too many people have become indifferent to the dangers posed by the virus and are taking more risks.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-next- … a-55709101

Nothing is special about the US and so many countries such as Japan don't seem to understand you...have to wear masks.
and those people are supposed to be known for wearing masks to keep others from being sick, but people are becoming indifferent to others. but I expect more from the japanese but they aren't heeding the science. wear....a....mask.

Nov 25 20 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I wear a mask.  Everyone in this area wears a mask.

Nov 25 20 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

Photos of Mitch McConnell wearing one almost make him look human.

Nov 29 20 11:15 pm Link

Model

Voodoo Howyacall

Austin, Texas, US

I personally like wearing a mask. It makes me feel like a bad-ass ninja.

And also takes some of the edge off of my resting bitch face. But my "You're a fucking moron" glare game is still quite strong.

Nov 30 20 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

JustHenry wrote:

You do realize, the mask YOU wear protects others from YOUR germs.

...Think about it, take your time.

Nov 30 20 07:30 pm Link