Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What office chair do you like under 1K?

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

I know the four figure ones. Not looking for those. What 3 figure ones do you like?

Sep 11 20 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

theres office chairs that cost $1000+ ?!?!?
news to me.

in that price range do they ...you know,... do ..butt ...stuff?

Sep 11 20 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I've got simple tastes. I've had some plush and pricey leather office chairs provided by the employer, but my favorite office chair for long sessions at the home office is a mesh office chair I got at Costco for well under $200. Adjustable and has retractable arm rests.  The mesh (seat and back) is supportive, distributes the load, it's cool and it breathes. Happy butt, happy back, happy me.

What are you looking for in a $1,000+ office chair besides ego boost?

Sep 11 20 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

are you open to a used chair?

i asked around for you, and turns out i know someone who has to relocate his evil lair and he's selling the chair.
its in great condition, barely used at all. i didn't test all the buttons on it, but the ones i tried work. it rotates 180 degrees left or right menacingly slow, and the button that triggers the trap door in the floor works everytime.
i'd imagine it'd be pretty embarrassing if it didnt especially after a witty remark.

retail is much higher than $1k, but i think you can talk him down so he doesnt have to move it.
Let me know

Sep 12 20 06:03 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

bodybilt.com

Sep 12 20 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

I ended up getting a new Steelcase Leap V2 from Amazon for $850 which is lower than they usually charge so I hope it’s legit.

Sep 13 20 11:58 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

There are a lot of refurbished versions of expensive chairs available. Some are definitely not good refurb outlets, selling bad condition stuff as “open box.” The places that looked more legit were sold out. Lots of demand right now due to Covid.

Sep 13 20 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Orca Bay Images wrote:
What are you looking for in a $1,000+ office chair besides ego boost?

I was looking for something below that amount.

Sep 13 20 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:
bodybilt.com

Had not heard of them before but they seem to run on the more expensive side. Generally over $1000

Sep 13 20 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I don't want my visitors to think that I am cheap.

Sep 13 20 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Mark Salo wrote:

to each their own.
i dont want any visitors that would judge me by what chair i sit on.

Sep 13 20 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

j_francis_imagery wrote:
I ended up getting a new Steelcase Leap V2 from Amazon for $850 which is lower than they usually charge so I hope it’s legit.

I have several of these in the drafting stool version with the leather. They are really nice and well built. I'm using them with drafting tables and motorized custom standing desks which I built myself. I bought the chairs new but at an absolute bankruptcy auction an office furniture store was forced to have. I doubt if I would have ever paid a thousand each for them but I've had a long good luck with Steelcase products. Many years ago at another auction I bought an entire two floors of those steel case office cubicles dirt cheap and resold them for a good profit. It was when I had to disassemble those panels I found out how Steelcase builds things. I think if the building had perished in a tornado those damn cubicles would have still been standing.

One should note that there is a difference between a really comfortable chair and a chair classified as ergonomically correct. The latter takes a little getting used to but once done I found my back and legs didn't ache from working in them for extended times. My old desk chair was really comfy like a lazy boy recliner but it wasn't helping my back at all. When I first began using the Steelcase Leap chairs I really didn't think I was going to like them or keep them. But many many hours later it's been the right choice.

You can probably find used ones on Ebay but if you are ok sitting in a comfy less supportive chair I'd just go to the office store and sit in a few and see which one seems best.

Sep 13 20 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Sep 16 20 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Paolo D Photography wrote:
to each their own.
i dont want any visitors that would judge me by what chair i sit on.

Well I was being somewhat facetious of course. But:
We have all heard of wedding photographers who have been disrespected for having a small camera.
Do you know of any real estate sales persons who drive VW Beetles?

Edit: Red35 in the UK was photographing a wedding using a Leica. A bridesmaid warned the bride that he didn't seem to be a professional photographer. (A Leica is very expensive but quite small.)

Sep 16 20 11:04 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

I don't know if my taste are expensive or not but lets just say my camera cost more than my car!!!
I got a really nice chair at Goodwill for $5, that's $995 below your threshold. I bought a Canon 24-70 2.8 mkll  with the balance! Somehow I just didn't think the chair would improve my images as much as the lens, thus the $5 chair vs $995 lens.
The chair's great though because even occasionally when the wheel falls off the chair still doesn't tip over!!!
John

Sep 16 20 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

This Celtic Dragon throne is gnarly..

https://ii.designtoscano.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/toscano/source/CL2441_1.tif&qlt=100&wid=960=&cvt=jpeg

$995

Sep 17 20 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

https://ii.designtoscano.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/toscano/source/CL2441_1.tif&qlt=100&wid=960=&cvt=jpeg

$995

If only you had posted sooner.

Sep 17 20 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
$995

does it include the side table?

Sep 17 20 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

THIS is NOT what you want . . . . $7,650.00

https://altwork.com/products/signature- … 7934491738

Sep 17 20 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
THIS is NOT what you want . . . . $7,650.00

https://altwork.com/products/signature- … 7934491738

is that a dentist chair with a monitor in front? LMFAO

Sep 17 20 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

The chair is a hit, btw. The birthday gift arrived this morning and the wife likes it. She’s working long hours from home on the videogames you know and love, and she wanted something at home similar to what her studio provides at the office.

Sep 17 20 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

These used chairs look good but often get refurbished poorly

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/availa … 1602085763

Oct 07 20 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

I just bought a new Herman Miller Aeron for $1500. They pop up on the used market occasionally for <$1k.

Oct 12 20 10:34 am Link