Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > covid 19 second wave

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

It has already started in some parts of Europe and Asia..
Will we be better prepared this time and then the elections in a few weeks.....2020 and 2021 will be years to remember...

Sep 12 20 09:06 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Well, we've all had the masks on to prevent any further buildup of antibodies or immunity to it these past few months, so most certainly the second wave is going to be more effective (Whoops, I mean, deadlier) this time around.

Sep 12 20 09:20 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
covid 19 second wave

2nd wave?  Let's make it through the initial wave.

ROUA IMAGES wrote:
Well, we've all had the masks on to prevent any further buildup of antibodies or immunity [snip] .

Could You cite the source of this valuable tidbit of information?

Sep 12 20 09:36 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Was talking to my doc a couple days ago about the flu shot.  Told me to hold off until Oct. as that would carry me through to April.  Some new pneumonia shot is coming up in 2021 too even though my old one was good for 5 years.  Something about a strain number change.

Then he went on about the covid shot. Sounded like he was nervous to promote it until he read more about it, but also sounds like he and other first responders will get the first round as a condition of employment before the general public will.  Given I know an ambulance EMT who got hospitalized twice with it, that might not be a bad idea.

Sep 12 20 09:43 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
It has already started in some parts of Europe and Asia..
Will we be better prepared this time and then the elections in a few weeks.....2020 and 2021 will be years to remember...

I suspect this is too new to our systems, (similar to the 1917-1920 era pandemic,) to mitigate well at this time. It is global and it is here. Hopefully the first wave was the worse, (as was the initial virulent, life ending, hellacious wave of AIDS was.) I first started in Hospitals during the end of the virulent cruel AIDS wave and now I'm finishing in hospitals during this pandemic. I just finished my last Hospital tour on a travel assignment to Covid units.

For those who get the roughest strain, it is tragic, and sad and brings memories from my earliest days when that virus was virulent and deadly to a percentage that were sick. sad
Jen

Sep 12 20 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I am fortunate that I did not contract Covid-19!     smile

I know people who did.

Sep 12 20 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I am fortunate that I did not contract Covid-19!     smile

I know people who did.

I'm glad too! I'm glad you didn't catch it.
In early February I'm pretty sure I brought it home to my dad after a rough shift in the ER, (before we knew AZ had one of the first 20 confirmed cases.) Anyway, we ran out of ppe in my unit and I had a guy whose symptoms screaming, in hindsight, Covid. So, I think I brought it home and gave it to my dad and within two weeks he was so sick...I thought I was going to lose him and really tended to him, then I got it and wow, WTF for the next 6 days before getting a little better but not being able to talk without coughing for 3 weeks total.
During those few weeks I learned I lost several photographer friends to strokes, (blood clots make me suspicious of the Covid side effects.) In the next few months, it was sort of like an altered reality in places.
So, I am GLAD we are all here. smile Deepest condolences to those who lost loved ones and friends.
Jen

Sep 12 20 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sep 12 20 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

In the lower right corner of the Global "dashboard" published by Johns Hopkins University ( https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar … 7b48e9ecf6 ) there is a chart depicting daily cases over time.

On the left edge of the "dashboard" is a list of countries dealing with Covid 19. If you highlight the country, it will display the current charts specifically for the highlighted country. (It defaults to Global values)

These charts clearly show the rise in cases in several countries of the EU.

It must be said--- not all countries are using the same criteria to report cases, and some of them simply cant be trusted to tell the truth.

What these new cases mean, in the overall scheme of things remains to be seen.

Sep 12 20 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

im ok with covid-19 or covid-20 even, but if we get a covid-21 people are really going to have to learn how to wash their hands and stop picking their nose.

see youre doing it right now!

Sep 12 20 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I dont think its going to be bad. I notice I havent had one cold since this all started.  which is odd because I always remember getting sore throats and colds...all the time.

I think the continual washing of hands, and mask wearing, social distancing is going to help us. last month all the employees were allowed to return from home to work and there hasnt been anything of note plus I have been going to stores and the mall and getting haircuts now, so everything's been fine.
so I suspect while there may be a slight uptick its not going to be the horror show the media are putting forth.

Sep 12 20 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Could You cite the source of this valuable tidbit of information?

Pure conjecture, hypothetical observation, and possibly a tinge of fear mongering.  And just maybe...a hint of truth?

Sep 13 20 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
I dont think its going to be bad. I notice I havent had one cold since this all started.  which is odd because I always remember getting sore throats and colds...all the time.

I think the continual washing of hands, and mask wearing, social distancing is going to help us. last month all the employees were allowed to return from home to work and there hasnt been anything of note plus I have been going to stores and the mall and getting haircuts now, so everything's been fine.
so I suspect while there may be a slight uptick its not going to be the horror show the media are putting forth.

So glad everything is "fine" on Planet Tony. Good to hear. Not so rosy elsewhere

.https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/13/us/coronavirus-cases-midwest.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

As far as "so I suspect while there may be a slight uptick its not going to be the horror show the media are putting forth", didnt you say the exact same thing six months ago? OOPS.

Sep 13 20 10:14 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

ROUA IMAGES wrote:

Pure conjecture, hypothetical observation, and possibly a tinge of fear mongering.  And just maybe...a hint of truth?

Clever.
An insinuation that there is truth, without even the slightest attempt to back up the "theory"

I wonder where this little "theory" originated,  from the Russian Internet Research Agency  misinformation folks or was that home grown on someplace like Breitbart?

Be careful where you get your facts.

Sep 13 20 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:

I hope you are right. Oh lordy I hope you are right.

Science isnt on our side on this one though. Respiratory viruses typically rage in cooler weather, confined spaces etc etc. Coupled with a natural human behavior (pandemic fatigue) to relax mitigation and the added unknown factor of a flu season (mild-normal-horrible??) this fall/winter could be intense.

New York state got just hammered in the beginning- they paid the price for the early learning stages of how to deal with the virus.

Now, thru some strict mitigation, and good cooperation from the majority of the public, the state as a whole has driven the avg positive test rate to below 1%....

(for context, Florida is currently at 12.8%, California is at 3.9%)

But---- even with all that--- even with good public effort to mitigate the virus--- the new cases have been rising for the past few days.

Just like the rising cases in Italy, France, Spain etc---we dont know for sure where they will lead...second wave? science has said yes all along, but lets be hopeful it isnt what they predict.

New York State testing:

Total Tests Performed as of Sep 12
47.53% Per Capita   

76,430 Tests Per Day (7 Day Avg)
0.39% Per Capita   

0.8% Positive Test Rate

Yesterday there were 849 new confirmed* cases, 0 recoveries, 4 deaths. The current 7-day rolling average of 696 new cases/day grew 11.5% from 14 days ago, while the average of 6 deaths/day declined 40% in New York
----  https://covidusa.net/?state=New+York

Sep 13 20 02:10 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

rfordphotos wrote:
Clever.
An insinuation that there is truth, without even the slightest attempt to back up the "theory"

I wonder where this little "theory" originated,  from the Russian Internet Research Agency  misinformation folks or was that home grown on someplace like Breitbart?

Be careful where you get your facts.

Well.,
I don't think anyone is going to go off on the deepend because of a ROUA images post as if coming from authority on "all" subject matter though, right?
I don't think a warning about "where you get your facts" is actually warranted because facts on internet forums or facebook or television, might not really be worth diddley. smile
Jen
p.s. queen of run-on sentences and streams of thought on MM that may not make the best of sense.

Sep 13 20 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Figures Jen B wrote:
Well.,
I don't think anyone is going to go off on the deepend because of a ROUA images post as if coming from authority on "all" subject matter though, right?
I don't think a warning about "where you get your facts" is actually warranted because facts on internet forums or facebook or television, might not really be worth diddley. smile
Jen
p.s. queen of run-on sentences and streams of thought on MM that may not make the best of sense.

And you are perfectly entitled to your belief.

But people who have posted IN THIS FORUM have stated "its just a cold", "its a hoax" "masks dont work" "hydroxycloroquine cures it"

They got those "facts" somewhere--  and they were total bullshit.

So you may not feel a warning about sources is warranted, but personally, I think you are flat wrong about that...

EDIT TO ADD: Rumors and misinformation have driven this pandemic deeper, with social media being the ready tool for those with bad intent... Jen- you are right- the internet is rife with BS... that is why I try so hard to post the SOURCE of my information---  as a medical professional you should appreciate knowing where info comes from---- I am pretty sure you wouldnt follow the guidance of the Doctor supporting hydroxycloroquine---the one who also blamed sex with demons for causing ovarian cysts.... But her wild assertions found purchase on Facebook and Twitter and were re-posted and re-tweeted until they became "facts" broadcast by the leader of our country...

Sep 13 20 02:51 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Florida seems to always manage to be in the spotlight for something.  When the lock down came in NY those that could ran to Florida. Our numbers for cases soared.  Of course we got crap for not doing this or that.  New York split the numbers between the city and the rest of the state to make it look like they had become the state with the lowest cases all of a sudden.  Then the govenor said if your in Florida we don´t want you.  How is that working out for you now gov?  I understand a lot of people are moving out of NY.  To Florida naturally.  I just answered another post regarding knowing anyone that had, has or died from the virus.  I started asking clients and friends about two and a half months ago.  Most said no.  That has changed a bit, I know know three people that had different degrees of the virus.  Some of us are sure the virus will take an interesting turn right after the election.  The only think I can do is figure out how to make money since my business was pretty much destroyed.  I have no time for fingure pointing or opinions being shoved down my throat.  There is going to be a second wave, but not the virus that has hit.  Hatred and all that it will bring.  Save your energy folks these last few months have just been a teaser for what is to come.

Sep 27 20 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

its coming back in europe and asia, so apparently the countries we are supposed to look towards as a guide on how to do things is looking like it was all just a bit of luck. they seem to be taking mask wearing far more serious than us. covid doesnt care.

Sep 27 20 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

i think were still on the first wave arent we? corona virususus arent new, just this mutation.
its scheduled to last until sept next year.
then it wont be a concern except to babies and old people.

rick lesser wrote:
Save your energy folks these last few months have just been a teaser for what is to come.

i'm looking forward to it. smile best vacation ever! also improved many aspects of my life.
and all things considered any perceived "hardship" is laughable and isnt even nearly as difficult as what my (our) ancestors went through.

stay positive.

Sep 27 20 11:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

rfordphotos wrote:

Figures Jen B wrote:
Well.,
Jen

And you are perfectly entitled to your belief.

But people who have posted IN THIS FORUM have stated "its just a cold", "its a hoax" "masks dont work" "hydroxycloroquine cures it"

They got those "facts" somewhere--  and they were total bullshit.

So you may not feel a warning about sources is warranted, but personally, I think you are flat wrong about that...

EDIT TO ADD: Rumors and misinformation have driven this pandemic deeper, with social media being the ready tool for those with bad intent... Jen- you are right- the internet is rife with BS... that is why I try so hard to post the SOURCE of my information---  as a medical professional you should appreciate knowing where info comes from---- I am pretty sure you wouldnt follow the guidance of the Doctor supporting hydroxycloroquine---the one who also blamed sex with demons for causing ovarian cysts.... But her wild assertions found purchase on Facebook and Twitter and were re-posted and re-tweeted until they became "facts" broadcast by the leader of our country.

**************** it is almost 3am sorry I did not do a better job to divide this better
Just thought I would mention while the US has pretty much poo pooed and in some cases attacked anyone saying hydroxyxcloroquine could help the rest of the world took notice.  While we did the yes no childish thing they did the adult thing and put the drug to the test.  6,200 doctors from 30 countries started to using it.  Think about what I am saying...  72% in Spain are using it.  Italy 49%  Mexico, France, Brazil, Canada Japan Germany and the UK  China is using it.  We look like fools. why wouldn´t you want to try the treatment?  It has been around for 60 years ( I believe we all know the risks at this point) and use that drug as a starting point instead of having to invent something new?  Oh yeah I forgot, cause there isn´t any money to be made from a drug already on the market.  Wait, wait, Turmpy He said something about trying it.  And if you hate him nothing he says is worth researching.  Iḿ a nosey bastard.  I want to know everything. from all sides.  OK, just wanted to add another FYI here nothing more.  Rick

Sep 27 20 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

the only cure is ignorance.

Sep 28 20 08:42 pm Link