Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Post covid(s) at least in Manhattan

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Considering the cost of office space...The company I use to work  for was paying $70..00 per sq./f... In order to remain active
a lot of employees have been working from home...The office now occupies about a quarter of space. Some employees were spending up to two hours round trip or more commuting to work, thanks to modern technology  every one seems to be fairly happy except with this setting, they are missing human contact.
So retail on line is most popular than ever, working for home seem to be working under some conditions, video conferencing, zoom, and the like can save time and money to the executives...Even my Dr. in some cases doe not need to see me in person,
a friend of mine sees her phycologist weekly via video. Looks like the beginning of a new word happening sooner than planned.

Sep 13 20 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

There’s something about still going in to work to a building and then to an office and dealing with other people that seems therapeutic at a time when so many of my fellow workers are now either laid off, furloughed or working from home. On some level I imagine working from home must feel like one is drifting at sea on a little raft as the big ship sails away.

Sep 25 20 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
On some level I imagine working from home must feel like one is drifting at sea on a little raft as the big ship sails away.

yeah, except all the perils of actually being lost at sea don't apply, and the big ship isn't sailing anywhere the little raft cant go.
I'm hoping to avoid going into the shop for at least another month. Its been a fucking amazing year! smile

Sep 25 20 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

well at least where I work, they had essential employees and those that werent. the ones who went in to work by and large avoided being laid off and the ones who were sent home either furloughed or the work from home ones and were offsite for like 5 months bore the brunt of the lay-offs. those who did the figuring must have found out those jobs could have be handled with less people in their absence, and alot off site lost their jobs.

so in a ways the boat certainly sailed off where they werent going. that would be my fear had I been offsite.....that while I was out of site out of mind...they were working on deleting my job. thats what I meant.

Sep 26 20 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

so in a ways the boat certainly sailed off where they werent going. that would be my fear had I been offsite.....that while I was out of site out of mind...they were working on deleting my job. thats what I meant.

i suppose its strange to think that some companies just hire people that dont make a difference
It's important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That's why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination.

https://media.giphy.com/media/rdnwiDfaUVU5O/giphy.gif

Sep 26 20 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

They do it.... all the time.

when the budgets good, a company might say have 4 admins working on the corporate website/servers. Mike,Michelle, Todd and Brandon.
when theres a money crunch, suddenly you get a phone call....hey Mike...if we asked you to, do you think you and Michelle could handle the site on your own?   meaning, Todd and brandon are laid off and you will be doing more work..but keeping your job.

so in a way its not that they hired people to begin with that were unnecessary, its just that due to circumstances they have to make a few do the work of the many now.

Sep 26 20 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

so in a way its not that they hired people to begin with that were unnecessary, its just that due to circumstances they have to make a few do the work of the many now.

if a few people can do the work of "many"...then it wasnt the work of many. was it?
just my opinion.
perhaps im used to working for smaller companies that just have the highly capable key people... and me. wink

Sep 26 20 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

well the problem is alot of time, many are needed...not necessarily for the work... perse... but for the reality of employees needing to take days off....or vacations. when things are good and busy, people should be able to take time off and still have coverage for the work load. so you want a big team. but now....when its all gone to hell, you can pare it down to a couple people and make do because the workload is light. 

but ideally you want a big team and moving forward there is no doubt once things clear up, rather than the people in charge think...hey...we made due with 2 people instead of 4....they will certainly hire back 2 people to get the full team as its the proper thing to do to not have employees all frazzled all the time.

Sep 26 20 05:25 pm Link