Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > iPad to replace old Wacom?

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm very happy with my old Intuos II Wacom – but unfortunately, it's not supported under MacOS Catalina. (One of the reasons why I'm currently still working on Mac OS Mojave).

Mac OS allows for an iPad to be used as a Wacom (via "Astropad" for example):
https://www.creativebloq.com/ipad/astro … t-21514316

It all sounds good on paper – but does anyone have any real world experience using an iPad as a Wacom? Is it a decent solution to fit into a professional retouching workflow? Or does it have any flaws which a Wacom wouldn't? (Apart from "no buttons" and the fact that I'd probably be missing my Wacom airbrush).
I don't think I'd be looking at the actual screen much, so the "Cintiq" experience of seeing what I'm doing would be a bonus, but not my main concern.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts – especially from people with first hand experience.

Sep 19 20 07:48 am Link

Retoucher

artesano retouch

Chilca, Lima Provincias, Peru

Hello! I did a research of this a week ago or so. The only flaws I found was that iPad has a little bit of delay in reproducing what you draw, you can still do the job but if you are used to a wacom you will feel the difference. And also you need the Apple Pencil.

But this is what I found on internet, not personal experience. Good luck!

Edit: One more thing, no pressure sensitivity for the iPad.

Sep 19 20 02:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Ikiri

London, England, United Kingdom

From what I've researched, it does pressure sensitivity:
https://community.astropad.com/t/apple- … op-cc/2517

Not sure if it does "hover" though... I use my Wacom for pretty much everything. Don't even have a mouse attached.

Screen refresh also seems to be an issue, mainly in 3d software packages. (I occasionally work in Cinema 4d).

Still... if anyone has any firsthand experience, please let me know.

Sep 20 20 02:49 am Link