Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 2020 wasn't a very good year....

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Virus, climate, economy, (des)-United States, fake news from all sides, pathetic congress, anything else?...
2021....We can only hope, just hope....But, maybe for the first time people are voting, doesn't mean the next Washington
will accomplice miracles

Oct 24 20 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Photographic wise it hasn't been a great year. Last week was my first portrait shoot since back in February and I dare say not much is going to happen come the holidays.

Oct 25 20 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
2020 wasn't a very good year....

Angel House Portraits wrote:
Photographic wise

You can say that again.

4 sets all Year, it's been a disaster.

Oct 25 20 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

What else?  Eddie Van Halen died!  I'm going to miss that goofy smile when he's laying a lead down.

Oct 25 20 05:42 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I can't complain! It has been a pretty good year for me.

Oct 26 20 11:07 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Greenville, South Carolina, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Virus, climate, economy, (des)-United States, fake news from all sides, pathetic congress, anything else?...
2021....We can only hope, just hope....But, maybe for the first time people are voting, doesn't mean the next Washington
will accomplice miracles

This post reminds me of the old Asian parable about the old man meeting a traveler on his way into the village asking what kind of people would he find there.  The old man asks what kind of people there were in the village the traveler came from, the traveler described mean and vindictive villagers who treated people badly, the old man said you will find those same people in this village.  A few minutes later the old man meets another traveler headed toward the village asking the same question, the old man asks the same question of the second traveler.  Traveler #2 describes leaving a village filled with kind and thoughtful friends who would give you the shirt off their back.  The old man told traveler #2 that's the kind of people you will find in this village.
Personally I've had a great year filled with personal growth and acquiring new friends as a result of the pandemic.  If not for the pandemic I would probably have never met these people.  I could have chosen to tell you about my chronic migraines, shoulder that will probably require surgery, blowing out my Achilles tendon, the lens I broke when my camera fell out of my camera bag and a few other calamities but I would rather focus on my new friends, new experiences and personal growth I experienced in 2020.

Nov 05 20 05:25 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

JustHenry wrote:
This post reminds me of the old Asian parable about the old man meeting a traveler on his way into the village asking what kind of people would he find there.  The old man asks what kind of people there were in the village the traveler came from, the traveler described mean and vindictive villagers who treated people badly, the old man said you will find those same people in this village.  A few minutes later the old man meets another traveler headed toward the village asking the same question, the old man asks the same question of the second traveler.  Traveler #2 describes leaving a village filled with kind and thoughtful friends who would give you the shirt off their back.  The old man told traveler #2 that's the kind of people you will find in this village.
Personally I've had a great year filled with personal growth and acquiring new friends as a result of the pandemic.  If not for the pandemic I would probably have never met these people.  I could have chosen to tell you about my chronic migraines, shoulder that will probably require surgery, blowing out my Achilles tendon, the lens I broke when my camera fell out of my camera bag and a few other calamities but I would rather focus on my new friends, new experiences and personal growth I experienced in 2020.

Exactly! If one looks for reasons to be offended, frustrated or angry they will surely find them. I choose to look for reasons to be grateful and happy and I find them. It doesn't mean I stick my head in the sand and don't understand the things going on in the world. It means that I see them but I choose to focus on the positive rather than negative. Shit storms bring opportunities to dig deep down and find strength in yourself, to adapt, to embrace change and find joy.

Nov 05 20 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

Other than worldly situation, and of course people that lost lives, some of us have adjusted and found other things to do. Plus, ways to do shoots carefully. One by product of the pandemic, it's easier to get models vs previous years, when they had too much to do.

This also may be a chance for MM to make a comeback.

Nov 14 20 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

CaliModels wrote:
One by product of the pandemic, it's easier to get models vs previous years, when they had too much to do.

This also may be a chance for MM to make a comeback.

That's a good point, I hadn't exactly thought of it that way, but I have seen some things like that.

Many photographers are in an at risk population and are taking stronger distancing measures at their own volition. Many models are willing to risk exposure at their own discretion as they are not in at risk populations.

Nov 15 20 03:42 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

MoRina wrote:
I can't complain! It has been a pretty good year for me.

Been a rollercoaster for me, but it was necessary.

My businesses slowed to a halt and I was not eligible for any stimulus! Had no payroll so no payroll stimulus, was not employed so no unemployment stimulus. But I got lucky that all my bills were paused for two quarters straight and I figured it out in time.

Any other year with a disruption in income like that and I would have been out on my ass! Yeesh!

Nov 15 20 03:53 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

C.C. Holdings  wrote:
Many models are willing to risk exposure at their own discretion as they are not in at risk populations.

...and then go have Thanksgiving with Grandma, Grampa, Mummy & Daddy, Aunt Mildred and don’t forget lovable old Uncle Jimmy.

What are you bringing for Thanksgiving dinner?

Nov 15 20 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Yeah but thats all of us. none of us are changing out our masks as good as we are supposed to and alot of us are normal when it comes to shopping at grocery stores and other kinds.

given the nightmare levels of infection in the US and the data that so much of it is by people who have it and do not exhibit symptoms we've ALL probably taken out a couple people.

Nov 15 20 07:59 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Baanthai wrote:

...and then go have Thanksgiving with Grandma, Grampa, Mummy & Daddy, Aunt Mildred and don’t forget lovable old Uncle Jimmy.

What are you bringing for Thanksgiving dinner?

There is a Normal Rockwell-esque painting for you.  A family gathered around the Thanksgiving table.  Elderly people sitting in their chairs, a elderly woman with a platter holding a large turkey, and a young adult woman coming through the door, her coat on, carrying a covered casserole dish.  And the traditional figure of death formed in a mist in the doorway behind her.  "Welcome home dear, what did you bring for dinner?"

Nov 15 20 08:12 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Greenville, South Carolina, US

C.C. Holdings  wrote:
Many photographers are in an at risk population and are taking stronger distancing measures......

When photographing people, I generally shoot with a 50mm lens.  That pretty much guarantees I'll be at least six feet from my subject!

Nov 15 20 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

Photography wise It's been just an awful year. I have hardly shot at all, I will not have models to my home studio and in the past I would usually pick up a model to drive to a shooting location which I will not do right now. The best thing to happen all year was after covid tests me and a model that I am friends with travelled to Maine together to shoot for a few days. It was wonderful, no masks on the trip and a slight return to normalcy. We took every precaution even bringing our own food and a microwave (the cheap motel didn't have one.) I was going to go back last week but by then Covid exploded again and people from NJ were once again under quarantine to visit so that trip didn't happen. Sigh.

Nov 15 20 01:29 pm Link