Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Biden Team Recommending 4 To 6 Week Lockdown

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Outoffocus wrote:
It would come as no surprise if Biden did impose such a lockdown. After all, it's what nearly everyone else is doing (repeatedly), and if everyone else is doing it how can it be wrong?

Perhaps someone could pass the lockdown time by running a sweepstake to see who can guess the date for the beginning of the next national lockdown after the first one fails to work.

Everywhere people are acting out of fear - scientists, politicians, and millions upon millions of people. What could possibly go wrong?

Acting out of fear is an effective survival mechanism.  How many times do you get to walk up to the Saber Tooth Tiger?  Despite that, your implication that we are running around in a panic, without direction, forethought or a plan is dead wrong.  Reputable and competent scientists, some politicians and millions of people are following the science and doing what is right and best to address a complex issue that could be more effectively handled if there weren't a bunch of people like you out there mucking things up. 

You asked for proof that lock downs work and you have been given proof.  Being the science denier and selfish individual you are, you will continue to harp on your fallacies, blaming others for having the shortcomings you display.  You and people like you are what can go wrong.

Nov 14 20 06:01 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Outoffocus wrote:
It would come as no surprise if Biden did impose such a lockdown.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe the President has
any authority to impose a lockdown.
The way I understand it is he would has to rely on state governors to implement it
and then counties to enforce it.

Nov 14 20 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Acting out of fear is an effective survival mechanism.  How many times do you get to walk up to the Saber Tooth Tiger?  Despite that, your implication that we are running around in a panic, without direction, forethought or a plan is dead wrong.  Reputable and competent scientists, some politicians and millions of people are following the science and doing what is right and best to address a complex issue that could be more effectively handled if there weren't a bunch of people like you out there mucking things up. 

You asked for proof that lock downs work and you have been given proof.  Being the science denier and selfish individual you are, you will continue to harp on your fallacies, blaming others for having the shortcomings you display.  You and people like you are what can go wrong.

Well said.

Nov 14 20 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

nwprophoto wrote:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe the President has
any authority to impose a lockdown.
The way I understand it is he would has to rely on state governors to implement it
and then counties to enforce it.

I think it's different if a state of emergency/disaster is called, just like in a state of war, everyone must comply ...or so I'm led to believe.

Nov 14 20 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Probably should have researched it before posting but it does not appear he has the power.

A Blanket National Quarantine Is Likely Not Legal

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/82529320 … xperts-say

Nov 14 20 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

nwprophoto wrote:
Probably should have researched it before posting but it does not appear he has the power.

A Blanket National Quarantine Is Likely Not Legal

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/82529320 … xperts-say

Well it looks like you're up shit creek, especially so if the states can't get their act together. My hope is that Joe Biden will be a breath of fresh air with regard to the current US health crisis.
I feel sorry for the one's who want to control the virus and pity the arrogant one's who only care for themselves.
As Sweden has recently discovered, things will definitely not improve without some kind of intervention.
https://time.com/5899432/sweden-coronovirus-disaster/

Nov 14 20 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Rik Williams wrote:
Well it looks like you're up shit creek,

Hard to say what difference it would make.
Even if he did have the authority he would be
very limited on what he could do to enforce it.

Nov 15 20 05:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

True.  If the people at a local level will not enforce orders, laws, or recommendations, then a national order isn't going to be relevant. 

I understand that South Dakota where the Republican Governor has refused all or nearly all measures to stop the exponential spread, has the highest per capita rate of daily new infections; the highest daily per capita rate for hospitalizations; and the highest daily per capita rate of deaths.  This isn't going to change until Republican leadership starts embracing the seriousness of the problem and  supporting action.  Given that there is still resistance to the obvious defeat of trump in the election, it doesn't seem promising that roughly half the country will get their heads out of the sand. 

Utah hospitals are warning they will have to ration health care.

An  appeals court blocked an El Paso judges ruling regarding a stay at home order.  "But the measures ran afoul of Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s statewide rules. State Attorney General Ken Paxton hailed the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit’s decision Friday on Twitter, decrying a “tyrant who thinks he can ignore state law” and vowing not to let “rogue political subdivisions try to kill small businesses and holiday gatherings.”"  Get ready for thanksgiving and extended families sharing the virus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 … -measures/

Nov 15 20 05:55 am Link