Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Photography and relationships

Photographer

Brian C Photography

Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Ireland

Hey everyone,

Hope you are keeping well in these strange times in whatever part of the world you are in. I didn't know where to post this so apologies if not in the right section but I think based on the headings it could be the most suitable section.

I was curious to see what people think about photography and relationships, in terms of both friendships and partners. The reason I ask is over the last few years I have experienced difficulty with my photography around this and I will try explain as best I can. My main area of photography is portraits and fashion so I obviously work with a lot of models etc. I feel very little support from my close friends about my work and there is always some underhanded comments made by some of them to get their laughs from knocking me. I was curious if anyone had similar experiences in having to deal with this from people who are supposed to be friends and what you did/would do?

Nov 17 20 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Greenville, South Carolina, US

Can you give us an example of the nature of the comments where your "friends" are "Knocking" on you?  I suspect they are actually jealous of you working around pretty ladies but I'll hold judgment until you give an example of the shaming.

Nov 17 20 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I would not worry about it.
You don't have to explain your interest in photography to anyone.
I don't show my photographs to everyone.

Nov 17 20 06:13 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

If you were an attorney, you wouldn't discuss your cases with your family and friends.  If you were a medical professional, you wouldn't discuss your cases with your friends.  As a photographer, you are obligated, in many cases, to protect your clients' privacy and to protect privilege information that you may become aware of in the course of a project, such as, but not limited to an ad campaign.

If you read through old forums, you will read stories from models and photographers that gave up aspects of their careers or their entire careers to please a romantic partner.  That doesn't mean the relationship will work out, as many have come back to tell stories of what they sacrificed for the other person, who walked away eventually, anyway.

You are capable of evaluating the motivations and insecurities of your friends and the value of their comments.  The best you can do is give us cursory descriptions of the people, the comments and the situations- none of which will provide us with all of the information that you have. 

Do mature friends and friends that care about you take cheap shots at their friends, or strangers for that matter?  Is there something about the work that you do that YOU feel like you need to be ashamed of?  Or the way you treat the people that you work with? Do you take shots at your friends regarding their, work, hobbies, personalities, relationships and if you do, is what they're doing a form of payback?  Are you supported by some friends, but not by others?  If so, what are the differences?

You have been on MM for a while but you have few posts credited.  I can't estimate how familiar you are with the forums.  If you aren't a regular reader and aren't familiar with them, then be aware they can be brutally honest.  Wrongly or rightfully.  If you want to reveal a lot about yourself and friends here in the forums, then be prepared to receive points of view, criticism and condemnation that you did not see coming.  You might get some support and sympathy, but often personal threads don't go well for the poster.

Nov 17 20 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I get teased/knocked by friends, including photographers. I take both model and wildlife photos. Some of the wildlife photographers refer to my other interest as "wild pause life" photography. I can take a joke, yet some of the photographers think it unseemly to take photos of a model in various states of undress. I just avoid those conversations by turning it back to the subject at hand... the eagle or whatever might be there.

Nov 18 20 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I jest tell everyone I take pix of puppies and birds  .  .  .  then slink back into my cave  .  .  .  wink  It's easy enough to get some new friends  .  .  .

SOS

Nov 18 20 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

As far as relationships IMO it takes a very secure person to look at the pictures in our ports and be ok with it.  if you are dating someone it can be a hardsell if you show them.  yes yes I know we look at the pictures as art, but the last girlfriend I had I hid my MM like Dexter hid his tray of blood samples.

btw I love your pictures especially your avatar one.

Nov 18 20 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

I think I know what the you are talking about. When I was just starting photography I mentioned that I was working with models to a friend and his was response was something like , whoo, ho ho, working with models huh? Snicker, eye roll. I was surprised by this especially since he was a designer and went to art school as have I and I would have expected some understanding from him. After that I stopped talking about what I do. Frankly, unless I know that the person is sympathetic and is interested I never even talk about my photography with most people.

Nov 19 20 12:06 am Link

Model

Schoetze

New York, New York, US

JustHenry wrote:
Can you give us an example of the nature of the comments where your "friends" are "Knocking" on you?  I suspect they are actually jealous of you working around pretty ladies but I'll hold judgment until you give an example of the shaming.

Your portfolio is very well done and agree with above statement that your "friends" are most likely jealous.  Just know that you are a great photographer and ignore any little "digs" that may come your way.

Nov 19 20 12:22 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

OP:
Mum’s the word🤐

Nov 19 20 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Since I changed professions to become the piano player in a whorehouse my friends are much less judgmental.

Nov 19 20 07:14 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Why do you care about what people think of your profession?
It's really none of their business.

Nov 19 20 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Brian C Photography

Kilkenny, Kilkenny, Ireland

Hi all, sorry I'm only getting to reply now and thank you firstly for the comments about my work, very much appreciated! To be honest giving examples while it would help I would need to go into great detail on a post to accurately describe it but in short it is the same snide remarks as some of you have mentioned above that I get. But the killing thing of it is one of my friends was one of the first models I shot, she isn't a model regular just did this but over the years every so often will throw a subtle dig at me for working with models and I can't understand why.

Photography is my main hobby and passion and it just really hurts to see people who are supposed to be close to me doing this. Also the same girl who modeled for me mentioned above came to me for a request to alter out logos on a photo of their dogs and of course I was a hero at that stage... For that and other reasons I said to one of them that I needed to step away for a while (that was about 2 months ago) and I kept to myself for a while. Now with Christmas coming I feel anxious about seeing them again and being around them as I feel so alone in what I love to do.

Someone asked above why do I care what they think, I know I shouldn't but lets face it, if some people you consider close belittles you and puts you down how would you feel? Especially if one of them helped you in the journey.

Nov 19 20 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Brian C Photography wrote:
...one of my friends was one of the first models I shot, she isn't a model regular just did this but over the years every so often will throw a subtle dig at me for working with models and I can't understand why...

...but lets face it, if some people you consider close belittles you and puts you down how would you feel? Especially if one of them helped you in the journey.

In each case I would tell the person, face to face, that I felt his or her comments were intended to belittle me, and ask why they said what they said.  Straight forward, no hiding for months, no ultra passive not knowing.  You are wondering why someone you considered a friend said something.  Your friends are probably wondering why you can't be straightforward and honest and real with them.  Speak.  Being so silently and passively hurt doesn't accomplish anything.

Nov 19 20 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

new circle of friends, I've done it periodically to get into new interests

Nov 19 20 07:12 pm Link