Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Skipping Thanksgiving....

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

What would have been such a big deal?...Hospitals can barely keep up, and thousand of people choking them self on stuffed turkey, sweet, potatoes, and pumpkin pies...Probably adding thousand or more people on I.C.U's already over loaded
I don't understand people priorities.

Nov 25 20 08:29 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Greenville, South Carolina, US

I'm guessing that "the problem" for many is they are becoming woke to the encroachment by government on our civil liberties and the arbitrary manner in which they are using COVID as an excuse to laud their authority over us.  Wanna go to a BLM protest? Go ahead.  Wanna go to church?  No way.  If you can't see what's happening then you either aren't paying attention or you have your head in the sand.  If the health concerns and associated enforcement was even handed and made sense then maybe I could support the intrusions on normality.

Nov 25 20 08:51 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

The last thing I want is to involve politic and religion!! Individual responsibility and caring about the people around you, yes I am concern...Any individual who want too look "macho" "defiant" what ever... I don't care if they end up in I.C.U even if they don't survive.. I really don't
But I care about the people they have put in danger.

Nov 25 20 09:11 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

JustHenry wrote:
I'm guessing that "the problem" for many is they are becoming woke to the encroachment by government on our civil liberties and the arbitrary manner in which they are using COVID as an excuse to laud their authority over us.

de·lu·sion·al

adjective
characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument.

Defying requests to comply with measures aimed at protecting the health of Your fellow Man isn't being 'woke'.

I'm going to guess that You stop at stop signs, wear a seatbelt and don't drink and drive?

Nov 25 20 09:23 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

IMAGINERIES wrote:
The last thing I want is to involve politic and religion!!

Our "leaders" have already done that, I've cited the specific example where they have done that.  I am merely pointing it out.

Nov 25 20 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

If you compared your troubles, or challenges, with those of others (health workers, etc.), you would surely find that there are those whose troubles make yours look like minor inconveniences.

https://www.toddstarnes.com/coronavirus … eat-virus/

Nov 25 20 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

JustHenry wrote:
I'm guessing that "the problem" for many is they are becoming woke to the encroachment by government on our civil liberties and the arbitrary manner in which they are using COVID as an excuse to laud their authority over us.  Wanna go to a BLM protest? Go ahead.  Wanna go to church?  No way.  If you can't see what's happening then you either aren't paying attention or you have your head in the sand.  If the health concerns and associated enforcement was even handed and made sense then maybe I could support the intrusions on normality.

Yeah we had paranoid people just like this here in Melbourne while we were in hard lockdown.
They were ranting and raving about 'their rights' and calling our state leader, "Dictator Dan" while  comparing him to Kim Jong. Man they were whinging and moaning about civil liberties and all that crap at the time, it really was hard to understand just how short sighted some folk can be. In fact some of them were convinced we'd be the next North Korea, but now that the virus has been eliminated, because of those strict measures, and our streets and borders are returning to normal  ...not a fu#king word from those munted ret@rds
For real, looking back you'd be convinced they had mental issues for their inability to confront the reality of our predicament 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Sorry for my forthright disposition, I do not suffer fools gladly.

For those still able to celebrate, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

Nov 25 20 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
What would have been such a big deal?...Hospitals can barely keep up, and thousand of people choking them self on stuffed turkey, sweet, potatoes, and pumpkin pies...Probably adding thousand or more people on I.C.U's already over loaded
I don't understand people priorities.

I was in the hospital last weekend and received excellent care!

Nov 26 20 12:39 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Rik Williams wrote:

Yeah we had paranoid people just like this here in Melbourne while we were in hard lockdown.
They were ranting and raving about 'their rights' and calling our state leader, "Dictator Dan" while  comparing him to Kim Jong. Man they were whinging and moaning about civil liberties and all that crap at the time, it really was hard to understand just how short sighted some folk can be. In fact some of them were convinced we'd be the next North Korea, but now that the virus has been eliminated, because of those strict measures, and our streets and borders are returning to normal  ...not a fu#king word from those munted ret@rds
For real, looking back you'd be convinced they had mental issues for their inability to confront the reality of our predicament 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Sorry for my forthright disposition, I do not suffer fools gladly.

For those still able to celebrate, I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

Response #1 - And after all those words and attempted personal insults you still haven't explained the contradiction I pointed out.  I'll check back later.

Response #2 - Isn't it insensitive and demeaning to people with mental impairment to use the "R" word?  Your PC is slipping.

Nov 26 20 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

JustHenry wrote:

Response #1 - And after all those words and attempted personal insults you still haven't explained the contradiction I pointed out.  I'll check back later.

Response #2 - Isn't it insensitive and demeaning to people with mental impairment to use the "R" word?  Your PC is slipping.

Perhaps Fifty-one Photography was a little more succinct than I was, surprisingly you still didn't get it?
No one is using Covid as an excuse to take away your rights and if you lack the foresight to see the temporary restrictions are a means to an end, it is beyond my expertise to point you down the path to reality.
And since when does a tRump supporter become concerned with PC skills? Or is that just another double standard conservatives place on others?

Nov 26 20 01:57 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Rik Williams wrote:

Perhaps Fifty-one Photography was a little more succinct than I was, surprisingly you still didn't get it?
No one is using Covid as an excuse to take away your rights and if you lack the foresight to see the temporary restrictions are a means to an end, it is beyond my expertise to point you down the path to reality.
And since when does a tRump supporter become concerned with PC skills? Or is that just another double standard conservatives place on others?

Strike two.
You still haven't explained why BLM protests were allowed to proceed while churches were forbidden from holding services.  Yes, the left is using COVID as a weapon. 

I don't claim to be PC, therefore your double standard accusation fails but let's stick to my primary question for you, shall we?

Nov 26 20 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

JustHenry wrote:
Strike two.
You still haven't explained why BLM protests were allowed to proceed while churches were forbidden from holding services.  Yes, the left is using COVID as a weapon. 

I don't claim to be PC, therefore your double standard accusation fails but let's stick to my primary question for you, shall we?

Ummm So why didn't the left stop the Pride Boys protests? I mean, with all that influence they have over public proceedings, surely that would have been the perfect time to weaponize Covid.
So anyway, the last time I checked, trump is still in charge, I think you may be a little confused on this point, or is that just a concession you subconsciously allow for him when he totally screws things up, or blatantly follows one lie with another? We both know when he really want's something done, for better or for worse, he pushes and bullies his way around until it gets done. (except with the wall, repealing Obamacare, eliminating federal debt, draining the swamp, locking Hillary up, not taking golfing holidays, presenting any evidence of election fraud or even living up to his presidential oath to preserve an protect the constitution. the list could go on, but you've already indicated you're not a big fan of words) 
Could it be possible he no longer cares, but who knows with that clown? Btw are you on his legal defense email list? I've heard the letters have become quite demanding of late, he's actually bending over backwards to ensure that money keeps flowing in. lol
And talking about strikes, you still haven't presented a convincing nor lucid argument as to how the left are using Covid as a weapon. The occurrence of two unrelated events does not constitute the weaponization of a highly contagious disease.
Maybe when the left (after Mr. Biden's inauguration) send armed and violent police brigades in to crack skulls while parishioners are holding Sunday Mass, maybe then you'd have a little substance to the point you're trying to spin.
Unfortunately your current proposal sounds a lot like you're merely pushing sh!t up hill.

Nov 26 20 03:14 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

[I was in the hospital last weekend and received excellent care!

Congratulations!! Were you on a respirator? How long ? Were you wearing a mask prior your hospitalization?
Did the DR.'s and nurses recommend to wear a mask from now on, when recommended?

Just curious, how does this work with insurance coverage?... I am almost 78 years old, in Manhattan with  Medicare plus supplemental. But for thousands of people with no coverage at all.....

Nov 26 20 03:39 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Please no politics or religion.

Nov 26 20 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Fair call. I hope you're doing well and Happy Thanksgiving.

Nov 26 20 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
[I was in the hospital last weekend and received excellent care!

Congratulations!! Were you on a respirator? How long ? Were you wearing a mask prior your hospitalization?
Did the DR.'s and nurses recommend to wear a mask from now on, when recommended?

Just curious, how does this work with insurance coverage?... I am almost 78 years old, in Manhattan with  Medicare plus supplemental. But for thousands of people with no coverage at all.....

I am on Medicare.  I always wear a mask in public. Everyone in the hospital wore a mask.
I had high blood pressure and a urinary infection.

Nov 26 20 04:32 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Thanksgiving is a holiday based around giving thanks to God. (Religion).  Restrictions on our ability to move about and what we wear are governmental edicts.  (Politics).  How do we discuss this topic while excluding religion and politics?

Nov 26 20 05:27 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

JustHenry wrote:
Thanksgiving is a holiday based around giving thanks to God. (Religion)...

Just to keep the record straight...

Even in Plymouth, for SOME it was a "religious" occasion.  For the other half, it was the more traditional celebration of the fall harvest.

"(History.com)  ...historians have noted that Native Americans had a rich tradition of commemorating the fall harvest with feasting and merrymaking long before Europeans set foot on their shores."
[...]

"In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Native Americans shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies.

That mix of religious, cultural and secular celebrations continues to this day.

Nov 26 20 06:06 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

JustHenry wrote:
Thanksgiving is a holiday based around giving thanks to God. (Religion).  Restrictions on our ability to move about and what we wear are governmental edicts.  (Politics).  How do we discuss this topic while excluding religion and politics?

I would propose that suggestions placed upon what We wear (ie: a face mask) are a public health issue and not a governmental / political one.

I'm still free to go wherever I want within the U.S. and will not be skipping Thanksgiving, a portion of day will be spent with close Family.

Nov 26 20 06:09 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

JustHenry wrote:
snip

You don't claim to be PC.  Consequently, your calculated act to point out and rebuff a non PC comment is a double standard. 

JustHenry wrote:

Christmas is as much a secular holiday, if not more than it is a religious holiday.  Many of the religious people practice the secular portions of the event.   

Giving thanks is not automatically giving thanks to God, much less your god. 

Just because there are public health issues that you chose to classify as restrictions on your freedoms doesn't mean it is political.  You moan about the crises being political and yet you heap fuel upon the political fires. 

"How do we discuss this topic while excluding religion and politics?"  Simple.  Just don't.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Nov 26 20 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

"... the encroachment by government on our civil liberties and the arbitrary manner in which they are using COVID as an excuse to laud (sic) their authority over us. "

Libertarian hogwash succinctly stated. Translation: ANYTHING government does in the public interest is an INFRINGEMENT. on the individual's RIGHT to be a selfish FYIGM a-hole. These "I did it all myself" Randian supermen are perfectly exemplified by the human centipede with Donald Trump at the head AND the rear. Happy Thanaksgiving.

Nov 26 20 11:02 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

JustHenry wrote:

It started according to tranditions passed down, was giving thanks to the autumn harvest.  Now it's just another commercialized holiday to sell turkeys.  This year my family get together turned into a zoom meeting.  And for the most of us, no turkeys. 

For me it's a day to memorialize and remember the Native Americans over the centuries who lost their lands and lives to genocide practiced by ruthless whites.

Nov 26 20 12:23 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I was in the hospital last weekend and received excellent care!

I'm looking forward to see if Jerry is up and at 'em and when he returns to post again. I notice his last visit was just a few days into December. Knowing how likely a repeat hospitalization is I'm wishing for the best for him. I briefly worked a few months in a Crisis area over the summer and sometimes the recovery can take a long time. Missing him and hoping for the best!

Dec 30 20 04:17 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Jen B wrote:

I'm looking forward to see if Jerry is up and at 'em and when he returns to post again. I notice his last visit was just a few days into December. Knowing how likely a repeat hospitalization is I'm wishing for the best for him. I briefly worked a few months in a Crisis area over the summer and sometimes the recovery can take a long time. Missing him and hoping for the best!

Thinking the same, Jerry has been quiet.

Dec 30 20 04:22 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

I wished I would have logged on sooner. I did check the  Earlier in the year I found that we lost Jim Shibley and another Photographer (who I met through here and shot with both and considered both kind men.) I sure hope Jerry is doing okay. Jerry knew Jim and we were fb friends for a while but, (like and idiot,) I streamlined my fb account after having logged off for a while.

Jen

Dec 30 20 04:55 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

In these Covid times, I searched and did find an obituary for his late wife from 09 Nov. sad
Deepest condolences.

Dec 31 20 08:46 am Link