Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What Was Your Favorite Decade?

Photographer

JustHenry

Greenville, South Carolina, US

As 2020 winds down we are officially one year into a new decade.  This looming change in the calendar got me thinking, what was your favorite decade and why?  I'll lead off.

My favorite decade was the 80s.  Maybe it was because I was in my 20s in the 80s and I was viewing the world through a rose colored prism but things seemed to make sense to me in the 80s.  For the most part I could understand the popular song lyrics, the stock market and the factors that moved it seemed to makes sense, interest rates were high at the beginning of the 80s but steadily came down, politics made more sense and you could have different political leanings than your friends and coworkers and they didn't think you were a dirtbag, we seemed to be on the right path with race relations and people didn't seem to wake up looking for a reason to be offended.  Oh, and the best part of the 80s is no one had ever heard of FaceBook.  So yeah, I think the 80s was my favorite decade, what's yours?

Dec 22 20 05:24 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Hmm, I guess I should have gone controversial with my post.

Dec 22 20 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Boudoir Studio

Santa Clarita, California, US

What do you mean the 80's!!!  How dare you? j/k

Have to go with the 70's.  Teen years but growing in South Florida the legal age was 18, 16 in you were tall.  Rode my bike to the beach before getting the car.  War was winding down and the draft was suspended 6 months before I had to register.  Lucky. Music was pretty amazing (although 8 tracks and Florida heat are not a good match).  Good friends some I had known from elementary to high school.   Applied to one school and was accepted.  Go Gators!  The state of Florida was not nearly as crazy as it is now.

Dec 22 20 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

The Clinton Years.

things just seemed to click.

Dec 23 20 03:20 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Boudoir Studio wrote:
What do you mean the 80's!!!  How dare you? j/k

Have to go with the 70's.  Teen years but growing in South Florida the legal age was 18, 16 in you were tall.  Rode my bike to the beach before getting the car.  War was winding down and the draft was suspended 6 months before I had to register.  Lucky. Music was pretty amazing (although 8 tracks and Florida heat are not a good match).  Good friends some I had known from elementary to high school.   Applied to one school and was accepted.  Go Gators!  The state of Florida was not nearly as crazy as it is now.

Which part of south Florida?  I was born in Vero Beach, spent 29 years there, had to move north to get back to the south.

Dec 23 20 04:10 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

The 1990s: I started off the era as the Photo Editor and Environmental Columnist for an alternative newspaper in Vancouver B.C. (Canada), at a time when grunge was taking off just south of the border (where we also distributed — in Seattle and Bellingham — thanks to a co-founder of our paper, who was a musician and a protege of William S. Burroughs); was involved in saving some old growth rainforest from logging (an area that became a protected Provincial Park before the end of that decade), and did a lot of wilderness hiking, camping, and mountain climbing; lived with friends in a World Beat band at their practice house; published an article in Semiotext[e] Canadas, about the initial research for a project I am still working on (involving the First Nations, whom we worked with quite a bit through our newspaper); and, my daughter was born!

Dec 23 20 04:24 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
The Clinton Years.

things just seemed to click.

Well, the cold war had ended, I'll give you that.  Cars and trucks definitely improved during the 90s but for my taste, pop music took a nose dive.  Interest rates were reasonable, as was the overall economy and the stock market was still somewhat predictable. Healthcare insurance was still affordable too.  But as I recall, this is about the time that politics started becoming uglier.  It's also when democrats stepped up their attacks on the second amendment.  Thankfully the Clinton gun ban had a sunset clause built in if it didn't prove to be a deterrent against gun crimes, and it didn't.  World politics also seemed to start unraveling in the 90s with stepped up terrorist attacks, etc.  Given all that I'll put the 90s in 2nd place on my list.

Dec 23 20 04:29 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Never given this much/any thought.
But maybe 1976-1986?

Dec 23 20 05:07 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

FFantastique wrote:
Never given this much/any thought.
But maybe 1976-1986?

The 80s, exactly!

Dec 23 20 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Actually, 2020 is the end of the second decade of the 21 century and 2021 is beginning of the third decade of the 21 century. But enough of that. I guess my favorite decade would be from 1966 to 1976 +/-. I enlisted in the Air Force in September 1966, graduated from college in 1972, bought my first 35mm camera, got married, went to the Daytona 500 for the first time in 1970, started working toward my private pilot certificate in 1976, flew in a vintage warbird for the first time in 1974, bought my first "big" motorcycle (Honda 750) in 1976. All in all, it was a pretty heady decade for me.

Dec 23 20 06:14 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
bought my first "big" motorcycle (Honda 750) in 1976..

Ah yes, the venerable CB750.  If I'm not mistaken Prince rode one of those in Purple Rain.

Dec 23 20 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JustHenry wrote:
It's also when democrats stepped up their attacks on the second amendment.  Thankfully the Clinton gun ban had a sunset clause built in if it didn't prove to be a deterrent against gun crimes, and it didn't. .

FINALLY. The purpose of the thread revealed. Just couldn't resist, could you? LOL 😂

"Hmm, I guess I should have gone controversial with my post."

Begging for it, in fact, weren't you"

And BTW, the 80's SUCKED. Still got your mullet?

Dec 23 20 11:09 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Focuspuller wrote:
FINALLY. The purpose of the thread revealed. Just couldn't resist, could you? LOL 😂

"Hmm, I guess I should have gone controversial with my post."

Begging for it, in fact, weren't you"

And BTW, the 80's SUCKED. Still got your mullet?

I never had a mullet, but growing up in south Florida I've eaten my share of mullet.  I prefer them smoked in citrus wood.  Their roe is good too, especially the white roe, I prefer that fried.

Why do you think the 80s sucked?

Dec 23 20 01:14 pm Link

Artist/Painter

jmillerpainter

Buffalo, New York, US

I think the 70-s were pretty great, it was the start of Golden Age of Latin Literature, Pamplona was founded, the First Mithridatic War came to an end, et cetera and et cetera

I can't take credit for this, its an old MST3K gag

Dec 23 20 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JustHenry wrote:
Why do you think the 80s sucked?

Nope, not going there. Being there once was bad enough.

Dec 23 20 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

The 70's were a long strange trip for me a lot of not growing up. I got out of the military in 79 and went to work in the refinery's in Houston but that really affected my partying by 83 I was a mess and running with some bad people but stuck with it till 87 when I finally cleaned up by the 90's I had put on 35 pounds and got a clue about what being a functioning human was, I had my own business met a lot of wonderful people and finally my wife in 96 so 87 (30 y.o.) to 97(40 y.o.) where big for me especially since I had no intention of living past 30.

Dec 23 20 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Acraftman1313 wrote:
The 70's were a long strange trip for me a lot of not growing up. I got out of the military in 79 and went to work in the refinery's in Houston but that really affected my partying by 83 I was a mess and running with some bad people but stuck with it till 87 when I finally cleaned up by the 90's I had put on 35 pounds and got a clue about what being a functioning human was, I had my own business met a lot of wonderful people and finally my wife in 96 so 87 (30 y.o.) to 97(40 y.o.) where big for me especially since I had no intention of living past 30.

I'm glad you cleaned up and got your life on track.  I like your portfolio.

Dec 24 20 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

JustHenry wrote:

I'm glad you cleaned up and got your life on track.  I like your portfolio.

Thanks, appreciate it .

Dec 24 20 07:50 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I will go with the 60s. It’s the decade when people started to think about civil rights, and the travesty of war.
The 60s also brought the advent of some of the greatest rock music ever.
Have to rule out the 80s. That was the Ronnie ray gun era. The beginning of the end of ‘Murica.

Dec 24 20 08:03 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Sixties. The music. Dr. Strangelove, or how I came to love the bomb. The change in fashion. The cool vibe of it. The Seventies for movies and I saw great acts live in music. Eighties still had innovation in music and film. Music started to die for me at the end of the nineties.

Dec 24 20 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

"Sixties. The music. Dr. Strangelove, or how I came to love the bomb. The change in fashion. The cool vibe of it. The Seventies for movies and I saw great acts live in music. Eighties still had innovation in music and film. Music started to die for me at the end of the nineties."

"I will go with the 60s. It’s the decade when people started to think about civil rights, and the travesty of war.
Have to rule out the 80s. That was the Ronnie ray gun era. The beginning of the end of ‘Murica."

Wait for it......in 3.....2....1.....

Dec 24 20 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Maybe the 50's. I was too young to recognize the systemic racism, the misogynistic laws. The McCarthy hearings didnt register in my elementary school mind.

By the 60's, it was hard to miss things like the Pettus Bridge. It was equally difficult a couple years later to miss the millions marching in the streets protesting the war. My high school had a "memorial wall" for classmates killed in Vietnam before I graduated.

The 70's was eaten alive by my military service, and trying to return to "normal".

The 80's. The 90's. The 21st century. Cant find a lot to celebrate in the way of outstanding "decades".

None of this is to say there were not SHINING moments.

Polio vaccines. Landing on the moon. the medical advances evidenced by things like heart transplants, lung transplants etc etc. There are countless "moments"... but IMHO few "decades".

Dec 24 20 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

in New York City just after the Viet-Nam war for ten to fifteen years, before so many areas became gentrified.....

Dec 24 20 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Focuspuller wrote:
"Sixties. The music. Dr. Strangelove, or how I came to love the bomb. The change in fashion. The cool vibe of it. The Seventies for movies and I saw great acts live in music. Eighties still had innovation in music and film. Music started to die for me at the end of the nineties."

"I will go with the 60s. It’s the decade when people started to think about civil rights, and the travesty of war.
Have to rule out the 80s. That was the Ronnie ray gun era. The beginning of the end of ‘Murica."

Wait for it......in 3.....2....1.....

MERRY CHRISTMAS Focuspuller.  I hope you have an enjoyable day.  Fist bump

Dec 25 20 04:47 am Link

Photographer

JustHenry

Merry Christmas rhordphotos and Imagineries.  I hope you each have a day filled with peace and joy.

Dec 25 20 04:54 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Than you "JustHenry" for you king wishes... I have not posted on MM in a long time, but often check the forum!....Getting involve in more diversified
photography  on Instagram      @jp_billard.
Hoping the coming year will take us to  some kind of normal life...We will have to be patient!
Best wishes to you and the one close to you. And stay healthy!
Jean-Pierre

Dec 25 20 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

I was always a metal head growing up so the mid 80's was awesome for metal. I saw sooooo many bands
Judas priest, Def leppard, AC/DC iron maiden,kiss,Krokus, Accept many others I cant think of now.

plus it was the era of the arcade!  Berzerk,Defender,Centerpede, Space Invader Pac Man. great times.

Dec 25 20 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I would day the 70's. I had just gotten married , had both of our children, time. I was in the military and spent three years in Germany and got to see a lot of Europe and of course the Autobahn.

Dec 25 20 08:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
Actually, 2020 is the end of the second decade of the 21 century and 2021 is beginning of the third decade of the 21 century. But enough of that. I guess my favorite decade would be from 1966 to 1976 +/-. I enlisted in the Air Force in September 1966, graduated from college in 1972, bought my first 35mm camera, got married, went to the Daytona 500 for the first time in 1970, started working toward my private pilot certificate in 1976, flew in a vintage warbird for the first time in 1974, bought my first "big" motorcycle (Honda 750) in 1976. All in all, it was a pretty heady decade for me.

A CB750 eh?

I bought a CB350 when that was Honda's largest motorcycle.  Shortly after, they came out with the CB450, then then CB750.  Some CL sport models in the mix too.  I ended up boring mine out and got it up to 110 MPH.  Dealer offered me a job as a mechanic, but I turned it down.

My Honda motorcycle dealer during that time was approached by Honda to sell their new car in the USA.  It was some small chain-driven thing powered by a motorcycle engine.  He turned it down thinking it would never sell against their motorcycles.  He still kicks himself to this day for that.

I'd say 70's were probably best for me too.  Could go to airport and buy a plane ticket with no ID and go to Las Vegas or Reno/Tahoe round-trip for about $50 on Hughes Airwest.  Also went to flight school and got pilot's license and flew with Civil Air Patrol in group-owned Cessna 172.  Loved the Piper Dakotas and Cherokee Sixes though as they had A/C and our Cessna didn't.  College was fun in photography classes and we met with Ansel Adams who was a guest speaker and helped some of us in their darkroom. Later graduated from National Camera in Englewood, CO which gave me a lot of techie stuff, and then to university which sort of sucked for occupation I chose.

Dec 25 20 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JustHenry wrote:

MERRY CHRISTMAS Focuspuller.  I hope you have an enjoyable day.  Fist bump

Ha hA! Bump back.

Dec 26 20 11:19 am Link