Forums > Newbie Forum > So Called Virtual Shoots

Model

San Francisco, California, US

I've been solicited a few times on MM by photographers asking me to do a virtual shoot, where the photographer would watch me through Zoom and guide me through the process of taking photos of myself? Is this actually a thing?

Jan 05 21 01:09 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Greg Weggers wrote:
I've been solicited a few times on MM by photographers asking me to do a virtual shoot, where the photographer would watch me through Zoom and guide me through the process of taking photos of myself? Is this actually a thing?

Well, Yes and No.

There are several threads floating around on the subject

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/980167

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/980048

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/979101

With the right knowledge and equipment it can be, sortof.

Jan 05 21 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Greg Weggers wrote:

It can be, with the right equipment setup properly. But the big consideration here is that the photographer must have control of the camera using tethering software. Without that direct control, then it's basically a selfie session with the "photographer" having no role in the process than being a posing coach.

Jan 05 21 07:22 am Link

Model

Chiara Elisabetta

Worthing, England, United Kingdom

Greg Weggers wrote:

Hi Greg, yes remote / virtual shoots are a legitimate thing and I think the two posters before me have explained it very well.. also, the links look super useful to anyone wanting to learn more about it too.

As Francisco mentioned, a remote shoot would normally include a model who had their own DSLR or mirrorless camera, a tether cable to connect to their laptop, some compatible camera software to enable tethered shooting, ie. the camera can be controlled through the computer.. and then some sort of computer screen sharing app so the photographer in their location can see and control the software themselves. This enables them to set the focus, change camera settings, press the shutter, etc. Just like in a normal shoot.
The difference being of course the model would have to take the photographer's direction and move the camera / tripod and any lights themselves.. but what makes it NOT a glorified self-portrait is the fact that by doing this, the photographer retains complete control of the direction of the shoot and set-up.

It sounds like what you're describing is slightly different - almost like the photographer gives you a brief and you go and shoot it, (maybe they watch, maybe they don't) and you provide the images from the description alone. This still isn't technically a self-portrait because you're shooting another creative's ideas for them. These two ways of shooting remotely are entirely okay, but the latter may incorporate copyright confusion and communication is key to ensure everyone is happy with the situation.

Hope that made sense!
Good luck!

Jan 05 21 03:06 pm Link

Model

ElfShadow370

VOORHEES, New Jersey, US

Wow, I was picturing something completely different, but the way you describe it makes so much more sense. I was thinking it was just using a webcam to take photos, but that just seems silly now. Having a remote connection to a DSLR is actually a really clever idea!

Jan 05 21 06:57 pm Link

Model

Chiara Elisabetta

Worthing, England, United Kingdom

ElfShadow370 wrote:
Wow, I was picturing something completely different, but the way you describe it makes so much more sense. I was thinking it was just using a webcam to take photos, but that just seems silly now. Having a remote connection to a DSLR is actually a really clever idea!

It literally blew my mind when I realised what and how much was actually possible via shooting in this way! I personally hope remote shooting continues long after the pandemic ends because it opens up so many new opportunities to work with those across the globe who you may never get to work with otherwise. I mean, travelling is wonderful, but can get expensive and not always practical..

Jan 06 21 03:57 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

ElfShadow370 wrote:
I was thinking it was just using a webcam to take photos, but that just seems silly now.

I think you'll find that even FaceTime/webcam style shoots can result in great work with the right concept and photographer.

https://www.grazia.co.in/fashion/exclus … 853-2.html
https://www.lifestyleasia.com/ind/cultu … taring-at/

Jan 06 21 08:24 am Link