Forums > Photography Talk > CFexpress card gets hot?

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Got a new Nikon Z7 II camera after a 3 month back-order wait.  While putting it together, I noticed a bright yellow label inside the memory card door  saying "HOT! Memory card."

While the new Lexar 128GB CFexpress card does get warm and maybe why it has an aluminum bottom, it gets downright hot in the Lexar 3.1 reader that came with it.  Hot enough I drop the card on the table to cool off and the plastic reader is almost at baking temps.  The reader is even hot while plugged in and no card.

I sent an email to Lexar and no response about the heat.  Looking at other CFexpress readers, I see many have metal housing shells and one has what looks like cooling fins surrounding it.  The Z7 II also uses the UHS-II SD card, as does my Olympus E-M1X body as well that uses two UHS-II SD cards, and those cars get warm, but nothing like this CFexpress boiler thing.

Is this the new normal for these new and faster CFexpress cards?  Don't know if the older XQD cards run any cooler in prior Z models.  Asking because the Z7 II locked-up once during shooting and I had to remove the battery to get it to operate again - and its Lexar CFexpress card was very hot and I suspect it froze up maybe due to heat?

Mar 12 21 07:03 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Well, the Z7 II locked up again with me needing to pull out the battery to get it to restart.  Worst part was the rear LCD had some CF/e warning appear on it too (Note to self: "Record that screen to show the card outfit later!"), and then I found ALL shots taken prior were gone when I tried to use the Playback/Review function on the camera.  Only one totally black frame image remained on the card in the entire sequence.

Lexar has yet to respond to me about their reader and card getting so hot, even with no card in their reader.  I suspect these faster CFexpress cards get hotter than the older XQD cards they replaced, but they may not be reliable given the heat.  Sad part is the 128GB cards are ~$200 each for the extra speed and heat and it lasted only a couple of weeks.

Don't know if I should resort to using just the XQD until Lexar sorts out their issue - if they ever do.  That or maybe try a Sony G CFexpress which is even more money (Later that AM:  Ended up buying a Sony Tough G CFexpress card so we'll see how that one works. If it doesn't lock the camera up, time to choke someone at Lexar.).

Mar 15 21 08:36 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm not 100% on this but I remember reading somewhere that Nikon had worked their firmware to compatibility with Sony CFE cards and made no promises regarding other manufacturers.  Don't quote me on that but something to that effect.
Hopefully your Sony card doesn't show the same problems in the Z7.   Nikon is definitely aware that memory cards are likely to be hot using the Z7, though.

Also, from the manual:
Inserting Memory Cards/Removing Memory Cards
After confirming that the memory card access lamp is off, turn the camera off, open the memory card slot cover, and press the card in to eject it (q). The card can then be removed by hand

• Memory Card High-Temperature Warning
As indicated on the inside of the memory card slot cover, memory cards inserted in the camera may become hot.

*******Do not attempt to remove memory cards if a high-temperature warning appears in the shooting display; instead, wait for the camera to cool and the warning to clear from the display.*******

Memory Cards
•Memory cards may be hot after use. Observe due caution when removing memory cards from the camera

*  Do not remove or insert memory cards
-  Do not turn the camera off
-  Do not remove the battery
-  Do not disconnect AC adapters
•  Do not touch the card terminals with your fingers or metal objects.
•  Do not use excessive force when handling memory cards. Failure to observe this precaution could damage the card.
•  Do not bend or drop memory cards or subject them to strong physical shocks.
•  Do not expose memory cards to water, heat, or direct sunlight.
•  Do not format memory cards in a computer

Mar 15 21 11:45 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Also never a bad idea to verify the firmware version - if you haven't already done so.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ … Z_7II.html

Mar 15 21 11:49 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

ROUA IMAGES wrote:
Also never a bad idea to verify the firmware version - if you haven't already done so.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/ … Z_7II.html

Thanks, but I was surprised to see the latest firmware was installed by Nikon when I got this Z7 II camera beginning of March.  Nikon posted their newest version firmware on Feb. 25 for downloading, but mine came with it installed.  Seems they must have been burning that downloadable version into the new models for sale earlier on.  Least I know the camera was fresh out of B&H Photo, aside from the three month back-order wait.  Same went for firmware versions in the 24-70mm f/2.8 S lens and the FTZ adapter both as well - all were the latest versions.

Lexar has never responded as to why the heat in both the card and their reader.  However, Nikon has and their list of approved cards shows a Lexar 128GB CF-B express but the other data on the card's back does not match up with what Nikon supplied me with.  Could be this is a pirated card perhaps from B&H Photo, or something else and maybe outsourced by Lexar China?  Dunno.

I've since replaced it with a Sony Tough G CFexpress card so we'll see how it works out.  At least all the other lettering and codes on it match with the Nikon letter I got.  Bought it via Amazon.

Given these 128GB CFexpress cards run $200, better play it safe and double-check the lettering and approved codes.  Not much you can do without buying one and opening it up to read them though.  Returning a bad one can be a PITA.  I got a bad one from Sandisk and they tried to claim it was pirated, but when I told them I bought it off their website the guy shut up and sent me a pre-paid mail sticker.  I also got a bad Sandisk out of Best Buy and took it back in same day and they gave me another.  Fry's took back a Kingston CF card that wasn't on the Nikon list when I first bought the D800E (Kingston had to do some re-program thing to their early cards to work in Nikon to get rid of a ERR message.).  Sony replaced one of their Tough SD UHS-II cards of mine by just calling and telling them the serial number. Lexar is ???.

Oh, the Sony CFexpress card came with an additional paper saying they do get hot as a rule.  Guess it has to do with the higher speeds.  They seem to run 10-15 times faster than some of my SD cards in my play with them.

Mar 19 21 09:01 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

That's reassuring to know the Nikon gear being sent out is up to date already. 

Frustrating to have to scrutinize CFExpress card makes and numbers at this particular time but hopefully that'll become less tedious - at least more reliable - across varying manufacturers once they work out the details.

Lexar probably knows they have some cards out there that fall short of expectations and they're not addressing it.  Must be a reason for the price differences among the CFExpress cards that are working and the ones that aren't.

How's the SONY doing on heat factor?  Camera still locking up?  Did you keep the same reader, too?

Mar 20 21 04:23 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

ROUA IMAGES wrote:
That's reassuring to know the Nikon gear being sent out is up to date already. 

Frustrating to have to scrutinize CFExpress card makes and numbers at this particular time but hopefully that'll become less tedious - at least more reliable - across varying manufacturers once they work out the details.

Lexar probably knows they have some cards out there that fall short of expectations and they're not addressing it.  Must be a reason for the price differences among the CFExpress cards that are working and the ones that aren't.

How's the SONY doing on heat factor?  Camera still locking up?  Did you keep the same reader, too?

Yeah, it was sort of surprising that the Nikon Z-gear I got his month was updated with the latest firmware prior to it going live on the web.  Nikon seems to be running into their ongoing back-order thing so whatever is out there is likely freshly made with the latest firmware.  I'm waiting for their 70-200mm f/2.8 S now and who knows when they'll get it out of B.O status, but least it should be fresh when it shows and not needing a firmware update.

I haven't had enough time with the Sony Tough G CFexpress card yet.  So far it hasn't locked up yet in a dozen test shots, but I need more time with it.  Some in the dpreview forum have had them freeze-up on their Canon R5 so who knows.  Searching around, seems like almost any CFexpress card is freezing up gear someplace, and mostly in video storage.  Might be this new card format needs a good programming redesign given all brands using this card seem to be freezing up at times.

The Nikon C.S. rep did reply again and say they are tracking the Lexar cards as there seems to be a lot of sundry versions and maybe why my card numbers are not on their current list she sent. Delkin shows their CFexpress cards are still "In testing" on the Nikon Z7 II on their Delkin website so who knows, and their 48 hr. replacement warranty sounds good.  Least the Sony CFexpress I have is on Nikon's approved list with the correct numbers. Lexar is still mum on the matter on card and their reader.

Still using the same Lexar 3.1 reader for the time being.  May get another brand later with a heat sink on it.  Might help to alleviate some heat out of it while idle which can't be good for the laptop's battery life either.

Mar 20 21 11:26 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Interesting thread. I have the original Z7 and have used only Sony XQDs with no ill effects. But I'm a slow shooter and haven't done video with the camera. I've been thinking about getting a Z6ii. Have there been reported problems with overheating with that body and any of the cards out there? My simplistic mind says fewer pixels to write means the camera and card don't have to work as hard, so they might not overheat as much. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on the Z6ii and overheating?

Mar 25 21 06:46 am Link