Forums > General Industry > When Models try to Hug Photographers during Covid

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Or Vice a Versa

We all remember that post shoot Hug after a successful shoot - and how good it felt

the times have changed - but some still cling to the old ways

My response now to any hugging attempts   is to stick my fist up casually and hope the other party recognizes it as  a fist bump invitation ...( or is menaced enough by it that they back off )

Any other suggested Strategies ?

Mar 16 21 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Garry k wrote:

Hug back.

Mar 16 21 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

The world can use a lot more Hugs...especially now.
A quick hug aint gonna kill anyone.
Remember that 6Ft rule was for 15minutes and if the hug last that long...

Mar 16 21 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Just got one the other day (hug) enjoyed it thoroughly.

Mar 16 21 06:15 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Totally agree.Besides whenever I hug a client, a friend, a business college, our faces are always turned outward. The hug is literally seconds. There is so much expressed even in the shortest of hugs.

Mar 16 21 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

A hug is not the smartest thing to do at this time, especially if you don’t know them. I saw a graphic showing your immediate circle of friends and family and then the reality of the how large that circle really is. Odds are, it is not a serious threat but do you really know where the person has been or understand that asymptotic people can spread it without knowing it. The vaccine will cut the odds greatly but we’ve only vaccinated a small percentage of the population.

Mar 16 21 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

If you show up with a mask on that sends a message. If you need to take it further then show up with a shirt that says 6 ft apart.

Mar 17 21 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Bob Helm Photography wrote:

rick lesser wrote:
Totally agree.Besides whenever I hug a client, a friend, a business college, our faces are always turned outward. The hug is literally seconds. There is so much expressed even in the shortest of hugs.

No, a hug isn’t COVID-safe. But if you have to do it, here’s what to keep in mind
https://theconversation.com/no-a-hug-is … ind-149159

Mar 17 21 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Garry k wrote:
Or Vice a Versa

We all remember that post shoot Hug after a successful shoot - and how good it felt

My response now to any hugging attempts   is to stick my fist up casually and hope the other party recognizes it as  a fist bump invitation ...( or is menaced enough by it that they back off )

LoL, what are you, 25 years old???
I’m 70 and if a model wants to hug me all day I’ll let her! If she kills me, it was still a beautiful day!!! 😂
John

Mar 18 21 01:34 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Garry k wrote:
Or Vice a Versa

I’m 70 and if a model wants to hug me all day I’ll let her! If she kills me, it was still a beautiful day!!! 😂
John

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Garry k wrote:
Or Vice a Versa

John

Photographer

Garry k

John Silva Photography wrote:
John

all I can really say in response is  - that I am sure if you take proper care of your health during these risky times those hugging babes should return to your arms in the future

Mar 18 21 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Camera Buff wrote:

No, a hug isn’t COVID-safe. But if you have to do it, here’s what to keep in mind

I prefer to accentuate the positive in life and as my Dr puts it "Respect the Virus. do not fear the virus"
I also dont get my information from the media that spreads fear far quicker than any virus. I get it from my Dr and Dr friends all of who advocate strengthening your immune system over masks ( that all agree do not PREVENT spread, just reduce it a little) by losing weight and getting lots of Vitamin D and Zinc as there is a correlation between the blood levels of both and getting COVID , a very dramatic one with Zinc.

That and I limit my exposure in public so I am not going to worry about a hug once a month that lets less than 15 minutes. If more than that it aint a hug anymore.

Mar 18 21 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

I prefer to accentuate the positive in life and as my Dr puts it "Respect the Virus. do not fear the virus"
I also dont get my information from the media that spreads fear far quicker than any virus. I get it from my Dr and Dr friends all of who advocate strengthening your immune system over masks ( that all agree do not PREVENT spread, just reduce it a little) by losing weight and getting lots of Vitamin D and Zinc as there is a correlation between the blood levels of both and getting COVID , a very dramatic one with Zinc.

That and I limit my exposure in public so I am not going to worry about a hug once a month that lets less than 15 minutes. If more than that it aint a hug anymore.

Yes - I am on the Vitamin D and Zinc combo as well

Faithfully wear my mask every time out . keep my social distance and limit my contacts

Up to 15 minute hugs though ......not really for me during these times

Mar 18 21 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I also dont get my information from the media that spreads fear far quicker than any virus. I get it from my Dr and Dr friends all of who advocate strengthening your immune system over masks ( that all agree do not PREVENT spread, just reduce it a little) ...

Masks should be used as part of a comprehensive strategy of measures to suppress transmission and save lives; the use of a mask alone is not sufficient to provide an adequate level of protection against COVID-19.

Mar 20 21 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I wonder what people would think if they read a convenience store forum message and see...
"When Cashiers try to Hug Stockboys during Covid"

Mar 20 21 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

My wife passed away last July.  Funeral service was outdoors, with face masks and spread out seating.  I did hug a number of people, reasoning that  a hug was safer than a handshake.  The day after the funeral, I came down with Covid symptoms, meaning that I was infectious at the funeral.

One of my wife's friends came down with Covid a few days later.  My case was pretty run of the mill, cough, tired, etc.  She had other health issues and spent 2 weeks in ICU followed by 3 months of inpatient rehab.

7 months later, I still have antibodies (average is only 3 months).  Would I turn down a hug from an apparently healthy person.  Probably not.  Average post shoot hug (if/when it happens), lasts only a few seconds and you are generally face-over-shoulder, so you aren't sharing breathing space.

Mar 21 21 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm more worried about my hands dropping below her waist and catching a stilletto in the eye than catching Covid...

Mar 21 21 09:07 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Mar 21 21 10:43 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

(quotes=Bob Helm Photography)

>masks...that all agree do not PREVENT spread, just reduce it a little

Not sure why you came here to spread this nonsense. Seat belts don't prevent injury and death in crashes. They reduce it. And most states mandate their use.

> by losing weight
Obesity is a documented co-morbidity, so you are correct here.

>and getting lots of Vitamin D and Zinc as there is a correlation between the blood levels of both and getting COVID , a very >dramatic one with Zinc.

Please cite to a peer reviewed study on this. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist, and is right up there with the hydroxychloroquine nonsense. .

As to hugs, no. I've continued to shoot in my studio with precautions, all related to preventing inhalation risk. I discuss these before working with any model. The message has gotten through, as I was not offered any hugs in the last year (big change from the past). Healthy models and photographer far more important than hugs...that will come soon enough.

Mar 21 21 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

This is an odd thread.  I have read dozens of posts about the evils and inappropriateness of touching a model for any reason other than to save her life. It is deemed by many to be unprofessional (are we professional?  What do we profess?).  Now we are taking about hugging the models! What an open door to a sexual harassment!

Of course it could be that we are normal, decent people who interact with models with respect and friendliness and recognize a touch or a hug has nothing sexual attached to it.  I think that is how most of us are, in fact. When COVID has been conquered I suspect we will all be ready for a collective hug!  That will be a nice day indeed.

Mar 22 21 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

If I just spent 2-3 hours shooting with a model, chances are a hug isn't going to be the thing that transfers the virus. Yes you can play it safe and keep your distance all shoot. But you're still working together. Not to mention all the other interactions we have throughout our day. Once I get done shooting, I typically grab a bit to eat. I touch a door handle, I touch keys on the credit card machine. I touch wrappers and drink cups being handled by other people...

I had the virus. I got it off my brother. He got it from his place of work. A place where he wears a painters suit and a painters mask all day. He is a homebody. Doesn't go out. Still got it. It can come from anywhere.

Mar 23 21 12:04 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Select Model Studios wrote:
If I just spent 2-3 hours shooting with a model, chances are a hug isn't going to be the thing that transfers the virus. Yes you can play it safe and keep your distance all shoot. But you're still working together. Not to mention all the other interactions we have throughout our day. Once I get done shooting, I typically grab a bit to eat. I touch a door handle, I touch keys on the credit card machine. I touch wrappers and drink cups being handled by other people...

I had the virus. I got it off my brother. He got it from his place of work. A place where he wears a painters suit and a painters mask all day. He is a homebody. Doesn't go out. Still got it. It can come from anywhere.

Sorry you got it. Hope you have a full recovery.

I will note that current science considers the risk of transmission from surfaces to be of trivial importance, with essentially all risk being airborne.

Mar 23 21 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

matt-h2 wrote:

Sorry you got it. Hope you have a full recovery.

I will note that current science considers the risk of transmission from surfaces to be of trivial importance, with essentially all risk being airborne.

Thanks. I was lucky. I barely noticed it. Literally. I slept for 3 days straight with a very mild fever on day 2. I have friends who had it and 4 months later still have no taste or smell. Don't personally know anyone who had died.I think its going to get to everyone with time.

Mar 24 21 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Remembering this during these difficult times could mean the difference between life and possibly multiple deaths.

So please, DO THE RIGHT THING to help prevent the transmission of this killer virus within your communities.

Mar 24 21 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

My best model used to hug me when we said hello and also at the end of the shoot. Now we just wave hello and good-bye from across the room.  Since we now have both been vaccinated I'm waiting to see if that changes, and not sure that it should.

Just a sign of our times.

Apr 10 21 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

It's not the hug you should be worried about.  It's the accidently sneeze that happens when your faces are inches apart.

Apr 10 21 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
It's not the hug you should be worried about.  It's the accidently sneeze that happens when your faces are inches apart.

accidental sneeze seems uncommon, what about neck biting during a hug? get some model drool transfer that way.

Apr 11 21 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I was shooting a volleyball match last month.  Before the match, a player from the prior year's team ran up and hugged me before I realized she was there.  After the match, as I said goodbye, she hugged me again.  That was a month ago, so I guess I'm fine.

Apr 11 21 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

I give hugs, handshakes, fist bumps, or whatever the person's comfort level is. Just establish the ground rules before or at the beginning of the shoot as each person's comfort level is different.

Jun 17 21 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

When a model wants to hug me after a photo shooting I simply do her that favour.

Jun 30 21 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Hug back.

Get vaccinated and hug back

Jul 11 21 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Sativa Photography

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Well as I see it....we can choose to live in love or fear

I choose love.

I hug the model.

Jul 12 21 06:54 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Garry k wrote:
[snip]Or Vice a Versa

I wasn't shooting during the height of the Pandemic here, today a LOT would depend on the circumstance.

New Model?   Not unless they initiate the hug.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-UEAAOSwE6ReVo6S/s-l400.jpg

Model I've worked with prior, a hug on parting seems the norm.

Jul 12 21 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

"Any other suggested Strategies ?"
...Seek therapy about irrational fears

Jul 12 21 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Garry k wrote:

To me it never felt good... It's as superfluous as "hand shaking". Just smile and say hello or goodbye.

Jul 12 21 04:55 pm Link