Forums > General Industry > Model wants full rate & all images and all rights

Photographer

Studio Kowaku

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I want whatever they're smoking lmao.

I'm assuming this is a fairly new model? If it's a paid gig, they're getting money in exchange for the release of their image. You are the artist and creator of the artwork (even if it's a creative team involved, the photographer and client get the last word when it comes to creative decisions). Getting tearsheets back in the day was more of an extra (unless that was the 'payment') and was not always required. Translating that to today's digital world, if a model gets digitals, they're extra from the payment and not requirement. The only time a model should expect images if when shooting trade (TFP). It's a totally different story if the model is the client.

SD Models n Photography said it best

SD Models n Photography wrote:
IMHO:   If the model is paid $ at her stated rate, anything over and above is a professional kindness on the part of the photographer.  The OP would have been completely in the right to simply reply with his rates for the photographic services the model was requesting.  I mean, she was essentially looking for a photographer to create content for her, and that is a professional service that one pays for.

Jun 12 21 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Unfortunately there are photographers who are going to give models like this what they want.

I think the first mistake is to ask a model what it will take to shoot with her.  It's better to make an offer and ask if that works for them.

Jun 15 21 09:22 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

MN Photography wrote:
Unfortunately there are photographers who are going to give models like this what they want.

I think the first mistake is to ask a model what it will take to shoot with her.  It's better to make an offer and ask if that works for them.

For the record, I've never promised images to a model that I've paid. So I don't understand why this is unfortunate? If the arrangement doesn't work for you don't make the arrangement, It's pretty simple.

Jun 15 21 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

WoWimages

Palm Beach, Florida, US

No, its not normal.  And best to have a model release signed before you shoot, and definitely before you pay the model.

Jun 15 21 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Stickgunner

Lexington, Kentucky, US

It is a world filled with stupid people, which includes models, photographers and persons from every other walk of life.  You can figure for yourself if it’s worth educating the ignorant, or if it’s just best to move on. 

Hopefully you were able to find another subject to shoot and things worked out for all.

Jun 19 21 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I would tell her to justify why she is worth a full rate and then explain if she wants rights to images she can pay for it.  Also, if you are paying her, that makes you the client.  You determine the rate according to your budget.  I dont get models who ignore client budgets and want to pay all their Bill's for a month off one shoot.

Jun 26 21 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

When you pay a model you don't have to provide her any photos at all.

Jun 30 21 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Dan Dozer

Palm Springs, California, US

I'm a fine art hobbyist photographer and shoot models because I enjoy doing it.  Occasionally I sell my work in galleries and or shows, but don't do my work as a business at all.  I have a standard model release and always offer my models to review it prior to shooting if she wishes.  Very few ever care to see it ahead of time.  I've worked with many of the top travelling full time models here on MM and all have said my release is good.  However, I had one model I had arranged a shoot with (she was more of a local than a travelling model) who in addition to me paying her for the shooting session, expected me to also pay her $150 for her to sign the model release.  I politely told her thanks never got back to here again.  I've noticed that she doesn't have any new photos since our communications and that was over 4 years ago.

Jul 19 21 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Dan Dozer wrote:
I'm a fine art hobbyist photographer and shoot models because I enjoy doing it.  Occasionally I sell my work in galleries and or shows, but don't do my work as a business at all.  I have a standard model release and always offer my models to review it prior to shooting if she wishes.  Very few ever care to see it ahead of time.  I've worked with many of the top travelling full time models here on MM and all have said my release is good.  However, I had one model I had arranged a shoot with (she was more of a local than a travelling model) who in addition to me paying her for the shooting session, expected me to also pay her $150 for her to sign the model release.  I politely told her thanks never got back to here again.  I've noticed that she doesn't have any new photos since our communications and that was over 4 years ago.

There have been quite a few here over the years who asked things like that, and a small number that actually claimed they not only got paid, but got all images, co-copyright, and even final approval on edits and what could be released. They pretty much have all gone the way of the model you dealt with.

I have actually found the more professional and successful the model is, the less demanding they are.

Jul 20 21 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Not every TF* shoot is 100% the photographers authorship. I have done TF* shoots with experienced models where the model has initiated the project, produced her own storyboard of ideas, arranged their own hair styling, make-ùp and wardrobe, including props, shoot location, travel and accomodation.

Other photographers can choose to retain full copyright, but in certain circumstances I'm happy to share co-copyright on certain images.

Jul 21 21 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Manfred wrote:
When you pay a model you don't have to provide her any photos at all.

"Here's your dime (10 euro cent-ish). No photos for you."
That can be your business model, if you choose to do so.
You might even pay their asking rates, and not provide photos.
Again, that can be your business model, if you so choose.

I choose to combine cash with images as my total compensation package that I offer the models.

Jul 22 21 08:20 am Link

Model

sincerelyhailey

Albany, New York, US

Welcome to Influencer Nation!

I think with the rise of influencer culture, the term "model" has become far more ambiguous. To me though, that's absolutely ridiculous. The photo is a collaboration in which the subject and captor has created TOGETHER. To try and obtain both full payment, and then not allow/credit the other party making the content happen is just ridiculous.

Jul 25 21 06:23 pm Link