Forums > Contests > Vote Manipulation

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Posts: 1079

Jacksonville, Florida, US

There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

Apr 06 21 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Posts: 924

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

David L. Stevens wrote:
There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

I'm a regular voter (in the POTD contest) and although I'm not very good at picking the winners, I don't take it too seriously. In my opinion, they're all winners!

What I will do when the contestants names are released ... is go and view the portfolios of those contestants whose pictures I voted for.

Apr 06 21 09:29 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Posts: 1079

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Camera Buff wrote:

First it was calls of voter manipulation (supposedly) going on in the POTUS contest, and now it's supposedly going on in the POTD contest. 

Being serious for a moment. I'm a regular voter (in the POTD contest) and although I'm not very good at picking the winners, I don't take it too seriously. In my opinion, they're all winners!

What I will do when the contestants names are released ... is go and view the portfolios of those contestants whose pictures I voted for.

The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

Apr 06 21 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 11264

Seattle, Washington, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

I actually like the 4th place one.

I see that there are only 27 entries? When i used to play, there were around 100 entries on any given weekday. What a sad state it has gotten now.

Apr 06 21 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Posts: 924

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

David L. Stevens wrote:
As you said, it’s really meaningless ...

I did not actually say, or mean to imply, that the POTD competition is meaningless.

For me, winning and losing are not as important as participating. Participating teaches, and learning is never meaningless.

It would be a hollow and meaningless victory if a POTD contestant was canvasing votes from their MM friends in order to win. I am not saying, or implying, any contestant is actually doing this!

Apr 07 21 12:27 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Posts: 1079

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Camera Buff wrote:

I did not actually say, or mean to imply, that the POTD competition is meaningless.

For me, winning and losing are not as important as participating. Participating teaches, and learning is never meaningless.

It would be a hollow and meaningless victory if a POTD contestant was canvasing votes from their MM friends in order to win. I am not saying, or implying, any contestant is actually doing this!

Me either :-)

Apr 07 21 04:32 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Posts: 1079

Jacksonville, Florida, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

Actually you are correct. I meant photo 2 and 4 with 4 being the best in my humble opinion.

Apr 07 21 04:34 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

Posts: 39

New York, New York, US

I voted for #1, which has 68 votes; and I voted for #16, which has 19 votes. I didn't vote for #s 2 or 3, because I didn't like the background of either (just as I will rarely if ever vote for a photo this hasn't been straightened); I didn't vote for #4 because there isn't really anything particularly noteworthy about it. I would vote for #s 5 or 13, because of the lighting; so, sometimes people vote based upon different criteria than you use to assess a photograph.

Apr 07 21 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Posts: 924

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I voted for #1, #2 and #4 in no particular order.

What I liked about #1 was the model wasn't overly photoshopped.

The one small thing I didn't like about #2 was the model's eyes. They were turned away so much that I could only see the whites of her eyes. This might bode well in a battle where the saying goes "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". But IMHO it doesn't bode well when you're shooting a model.   

And #3 was near faultless. The high level and quality of the photoshopping suited the theme of this image.

But unless I'm wrong, you get to vote for up to three images. That's three chances to pick a winner, but at the end of the ballot the winner may not be your favourite choice.

Apr 08 21 11:37 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Posts: 1079

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Camera Buff wrote:
I voted for #1, #2 and #4 in no particular order.

What I liked about #1 was the model wasn't overly photoshopped.

The one small thing I didn't like about #2 was the model's eyes. They were turned away so much that I could only see the whites of her eyes. This might bode well in a battle where the saying goes "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". But IMHO it doesn't bode well when you're shooting a model.   

And #3 was near faultless. The high level and quality of the photoshopping suited the theme of this image.

But unless I'm wrong, you get to vote for up to three images. That's three chances to pick a winner, but at the end of the ballot the winner may not be your favourite choice.

All good points but when the winner is 20 to 30 votes higher than 2nd place it just makes you wonder. Th not to say that the photo is not a good photo.

Apr 09 21 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Posts: 4649

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

Only 18 entries today . Thanks to the mods it is not much of a contest.Was hard to pick top three out of twenty as none really stood out.
In any case not much worrying to be done by voter  fraud unless there is a true contest.

Aug 03 21 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Midnight Dreams Imaging

Posts: 5

Gurnee, Illinois, US

Brett Hunt wrote:
Only 18 entries today . Thanks to the mods it is not much of a contest.Was hard to pick top three out of twenty as none really stood out.
In any case not much worrying to be done by voter  fraud unless there is a true contest.

Was thinking the same thing. Only picked 2,  the rest were not very good at all.

Aug 03 21 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Posts: 3250

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

You should try out the forum based contests. Voter ID is required there and they are very transparent as you see who voted for each image.

Aug 04 21 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Rev Reynolds

Posts: 5

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's no doubt the contest has lost credibility , look at the POTD tag its used by most winners on everything even links on home pages. So the rules seem to be better referred to as suggestions. Also, I agree it's nothing to be taken very seriously, yet many times there is personal equity and effort involved in recruiting, approvals, locations, equipment...ect. So some consistency and equal application of the rules would be appreciated, otherwise why call it a contest, just make it a picture posting board and we can all get trophy's.

Aug 26 21 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Posts: 1079

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Znude! wrote:

You should try out the forum based contests. Voter ID is required there and they are very transparent as you see who voted for each image.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 04 21 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Starlight Photography

Posts: 4

Waterloo, Iowa, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures.  That's not what this contest and judging pictures is about.  It should be on the pose of the model and the composition of the photographer.

Nov 16 21 05:18 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Posts: 908

Los Angeles, California, US

Starlight Photography wrote:

I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures.  That's not what this contest and judging pictures is about.  It should be on the pose of the model and the composition of the photographer.

"become"

lol that's rich

yeah, nobody cares its a voyeur magazine enjoy it

Nov 16 21 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Posts: 20433

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Starlight Photography wrote:
I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures...

I see a typo!

I've noticed for a long time that winners have always been "spread shot" pictures...

There, I fixed it for you.

Nov 24 21 01:24 pm Link

Moderator

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

Posts: 21605

El Segundo, California, US

Just for the record, "spread shots" are not permitted in the contests or on MM anywhere. But "open-leg" shots are permitted.
For some reason, people do seem to prefer voting for such images, that can hardly be blamed on the mods.

Nov 24 21 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Live Pictures

Posts: 2

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

When Moderator 7 will be fired?

Dec 10 21 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Rev Reynolds

Posts: 5

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I make it a point to vote for the worst photo, in order to confirm that this contest has zero credibility. This contest is determined by which entry has the most friends, that they are willing to bother for a vote.

Mar 22 22 02:00 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Posts: 41

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

I'm guessing that's directed at me. I do always congratulate myself and the model for the win on Instagram, because the regular contest has always been a challenge to win for me. I'm always honored when I win it and I don't mind sharing the credit with the model as well.

Apr 27 22 06:50 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Posts: 41

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Starlight Photography wrote:
I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures.  That's not what this contest and judging pictures is about.  It should be on the pose of the model and the composition of the photographer.

If you're referring to the 18+ female contest, I couldn't agree more. I noticed that as well a couple years ago, so those are the kinds of shots I enter if I want to win. I started a separate discussion thread about asking the mods to be more restrictive with the 18+ female contest submissions. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Apr 27 22 06:55 am Link