Forums > Contests > Vote Manipulation

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

Apr 06 21 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

David L. Stevens wrote:
There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

I'm a regular voter (in the POTD contest) and although I'm not very good at picking the winners, I don't take it too seriously. In my opinion, they're all winners!

What I will do when the contestants names are released ... is go and view the portfolios of those contestants whose pictures I voted for.

Apr 06 21 09:29 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Camera Buff wrote:

First it was calls of voter manipulation (supposedly) going on in the POTUS contest, and now it's supposedly going on in the POTD contest. 

Being serious for a moment. I'm a regular voter (in the POTD contest) and although I'm not very good at picking the winners, I don't take it too seriously. In my opinion, they're all winners!

What I will do when the contestants names are released ... is go and view the portfolios of those contestants whose pictures I voted for.

The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

Apr 06 21 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

I actually like the 4th place one.

I see that there are only 27 entries? When i used to play, there were around 100 entries on any given weekday. What a sad state it has gotten now.

Apr 06 21 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

David L. Stevens wrote:
As you said, it’s really meaningless ...

I did not actually say, or mean to imply, that the POTD competition is meaningless.

For me, winning and losing are not as important as participating. Participating teaches, and learning is never meaningless.

It would be a hollow and meaningless victory if a POTD contestant was canvasing votes from their MM friends in order to win. I am not saying, or implying, any contestant is actually doing this!

Apr 07 21 12:27 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Camera Buff wrote:

I did not actually say, or mean to imply, that the POTD competition is meaningless.

For me, winning and losing are not as important as participating. Participating teaches, and learning is never meaningless.

It would be a hollow and meaningless victory if a POTD contestant was canvasing votes from their MM friends in order to win. I am not saying, or implying, any contestant is actually doing this!

Me either :-)

Apr 07 21 04:32 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

David L. Stevens wrote:

Actually you are correct. I meant photo 2 and 4 with 4 being the best in my humble opinion.

Apr 07 21 04:34 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

I voted for #1, which has 68 votes; and I voted for #16, which has 19 votes. I didn't vote for #s 2 or 3, because I didn't like the background of either (just as I will rarely if ever vote for a photo this hasn't been straightened); I didn't vote for #4 because there isn't really anything particularly noteworthy about it. I would vote for #s 5 or 13, because of the lighting; so, sometimes people vote based upon different criteria than you use to assess a photograph.

Apr 07 21 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I voted for #1, #2 and #4 in no particular order.

What I liked about #1 was the model wasn't overly photoshopped.

The one small thing I didn't like about #2 was the model's eyes. They were turned away so much that I could only see the whites of her eyes. This might bode well in a battle where the saying goes "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". But IMHO it doesn't bode well when you're shooting a model.   

And #3 was near faultless. The high level and quality of the photoshopping suited the theme of this image.

But unless I'm wrong, you get to vote for up to three images. That's three chances to pick a winner, but at the end of the ballot the winner may not be your favourite choice.

Apr 08 21 11:37 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Camera Buff wrote:
I voted for #1, #2 and #4 in no particular order.

What I liked about #1 was the model wasn't overly photoshopped.

The one small thing I didn't like about #2 was the model's eyes. They were turned away so much that I could only see the whites of her eyes. This might bode well in a battle where the saying goes "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". But IMHO it doesn't bode well when you're shooting a model.   

And #3 was near faultless. The high level and quality of the photoshopping suited the theme of this image.

But unless I'm wrong, you get to vote for up to three images. That's three chances to pick a winner, but at the end of the ballot the winner may not be your favourite choice.

All good points but when the winner is 20 to 30 votes higher than 2nd place it just makes you wonder. Th not to say that the photo is not a good photo.

Apr 09 21 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

Only 18 entries today . Thanks to the mods it is not much of a contest.Was hard to pick top three out of twenty as none really stood out.
In any case not much worrying to be done by voter  fraud unless there is a true contest.

Aug 03 21 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Midnight Dreams Imaging

Oviedo, Florida, US

Brett Hunt wrote:
Only 18 entries today . Thanks to the mods it is not much of a contest.Was hard to pick top three out of twenty as none really stood out.
In any case not much worrying to be done by voter  fraud unless there is a true contest.

Was thinking the same thing. Only picked 2,  the rest were not very good at all.

Aug 03 21 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

You should try out the forum based contests. Voter ID is required there and they are very transparent as you see who voted for each image.

Aug 04 21 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Rev Reynolds

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's no doubt the contest has lost credibility , look at the POTD tag its used by most winners on everything even links on home pages. So the rules seem to be better referred to as suggestions. Also, I agree it's nothing to be taken very seriously, yet many times there is personal equity and effort involved in recruiting, approvals, locations, equipment...ect. So some consistency and equal application of the rules would be appreciated, otherwise why call it a contest, just make it a picture posting board and we can all get trophy's.

Aug 26 21 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Znude! wrote:

You should try out the forum based contests. Voter ID is required there and they are very transparent as you see who voted for each image.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 04 21 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Starlight Photography

Waterloo, Iowa, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures.  That's not what this contest and judging pictures is about.  It should be on the pose of the model and the composition of the photographer.

Nov 16 21 05:18 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Starlight Photography wrote:

I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures.  That's not what this contest and judging pictures is about.  It should be on the pose of the model and the composition of the photographer.

"become"

lol that's rich

yeah, nobody cares its a voyeur magazine enjoy it

Nov 16 21 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I agree with Mr. Stevens.  I've noticed for a long time that winners have become "spread shot" pictures...

I see a typo!

I've noticed for a long time that winners have always been "spread shot" pictures...

There, I fixed it for you.

Nov 24 21 01:24 pm Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Just for the record, "spread shots" are not permitted in the contests or on MM anywhere. But "open-leg" shots are permitted.
For some reason, people do seem to prefer voting for such images, that can hardly be blamed on the mods.

Nov 24 21 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Live Pictures

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

When Moderator 7 will be fired?

Dec 10 21 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Rev Reynolds

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I make it a point to vote for the worst photo, in order to confirm that this contest has zero credibility. This contest is determined by which entry has the most friends, that they are willing to bother for a vote.

Mar 22 22 02:00 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

I'm guessing that's directed at me. I do always congratulate myself and the model for the win on Instagram, because the regular contest has always been a challenge to win for me. I'm always honored when I win it and I don't mind sharing the credit with the model as well.

Apr 27 22 06:50 am Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

If you're referring to the 18+ female contest, I couldn't agree more. I noticed that as well a couple years ago, so those are the kinds of shots I enter if I want to win. I started a separate discussion thread about asking the mods to be more restrictive with the 18+ female contest submissions. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Apr 27 22 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

KenPhoto wrote:

If you're referring to the 18+ female contest, I couldn't agree more. I noticed that as well a couple years ago, so those are the kinds of shots I enter if I want to win. I started a separate discussion thread about asking the mods to be more restrictive with the 18+ female contest submissions. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Zoom ahead to 2023 and see the post where you all are still crying lol  it is a contest that has no prize  and is limited to 200 entries  . It used to be hard to get in before it hit the limit, Now you are crying over 20 entries with no prizes.. It is a game for fun, Not having fun quit playing. there are other contests out there that in fact give out prizes seek them out but if you are having trouble winning here  you probably won't be winning any of those either. Instead of crying be a better artist . Losing especially this contest should not make you cry it should make you want to strive to be a better artist. Cheating on this contest lol Why? Come on wipe the tears from your eyes (everyone) and try to act like adults lmao

Mar 09 23 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Photo77photo

Boca Raton, Florida, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

I was about to write exactly the same until I saw your post. The POTD contest is a joke.

Apr 25 23 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

I swear I'm not going blind, but  since I often enter to vote' just for fun,  it seems there is something goofy going on.    Say there are 20 entries when I see it mid day, and I vote.   Next day I don't recount, but I swear there are either new additions or 'replacements' entered.  I see a pic that was outstanding , but I never voted for it because it was not on page when I voted. Do they add more and more throughout the day?   Seems that would hurt a person's chances of winning if they only are seen the last 3 hours late night, and not all day to grab attention. Either way,   as someone mentioned above, I too am looking for their name, win or lose, to be able to go check their profile and whole portfolio out 
    I don't like photographer who 'hoard' their favorites and wont' identify them at all.  Even if they win.   Sometimes I've gone to the photographers page and then searched through all I can of his work, looking for that model. Sometimes there are more, but no name.  Other times there are none, just the one posted in contest without a name.    Frustrating, so yeah, the POTD is not of much worth for the rest of us.

Apr 25 23 05:23 pm Link

Model

Kittysweet 0220 studios

Buffalo, New York, US

I agree with you  that is why I don't enter that often

Apr 30 23 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

Why would you say this? Because 2 photographers almost seem to win daily? lol I voted for yesterdays POTD because I know her. But i also know she has a lot better images in her portfolio, so seeing that one win I have questioned this myself over the years

May 16 23 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

At least if a photographer enters a pic of his,,,,no matter what the results, he should NAME the model and her MM # so those of us who took interest and voted, can learn more about her. That to me is the main purpose of the POTD.  The models get shown ,,,You could spend days , months roaming around this site and never run into their profile and pics.  So I think if a photographer wants to keep HIS" personal models secret, he can't enter them in the POTD contest for his own glory if he wins. Share her profile, please.

May 19 23 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Adventure Photos wrote:
At least if a photographer enters a pic of his,,,,no matter what the results, he should NAME the model and her MM # so those of us who took interest and voted, can learn more about her. That to me is the main purpose of the POTD.  The models get shown ,,,You could spend days , months roaming around this site and never run into their profile and pics.  So I think if a photographer wants to keep HIS" personal models secret, he can't enter them in the POTD contest for his own glory if he wins. Share her profile, please.

You mean like how you've got all the models in your portfolio credited?

May 20 23 01:48 pm Link

Model

Nat the droid

Sacramento, California, US

JQuest wrote:

You mean like how you've got all the models in your portfolio credited?

Jesus Christ one more wine it is

May 23 23 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

May 24 23 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Nat the droid wrote:
[
Jesus Christ one more wine it is

Using "Jesus Christ" as an expletive is offensive to Christians.
"more wine" is always a good idea. smile

May 26 23 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

KenPhoto

Brett Hunt wrote:

Zoom ahead to 2023 and see the post where you all are still crying lol  it is a contest that has no prize  and is limited to 200 entries  . It used to be hard to get in before it hit the limit, Now you are crying over 20 entries with no prizes.. It is a game for fun, Not having fun quit playing. there are other contests out there that in fact give out prizes seek them out but if you are having trouble winning here  you probably won't be winning any of those either. Instead of crying be a better artist . Losing especially this contest should not make you cry it should make you want to strive to be a better artist. Cheating on this contest lol Why? Come on wipe the tears from your eyes (everyone) and try to act like adults lmao

I'm a little confused by this response. You quoted me, but I was never complaining that I didn't win. I actually won the contests quite often before the rules change. I just wanted to see more artistic nudes win the 18+ rather than the more erotic shots. I'm happy to say that after the rules changes I've still won on a fairly regular basis when I've entered, so I'm not sure to whom you are referring.

May 27 23 03:55 pm Link