Forums > Contests > Vote Manipulation

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

Apr 06 21 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

David L. Stevens wrote:
There is clearly vote manipulation going on in the POTD contest. I guess the mods at this site don't monitor these contests.

I'm a regular voter (in the POTD contest) and although I'm not very good at picking the winners, I don't take it too seriously. In my opinion, they're all winners!

What I will do when the contestants names are released ... is go and view the portfolios of those contestants whose pictures I voted for.

Apr 06 21 09:29 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Camera Buff wrote:

First it was calls of voter manipulation (supposedly) going on in the POTUS contest, and now it's supposedly going on in the POTD contest. 

Being serious for a moment. I'm a regular voter (in the POTD contest) and although I'm not very good at picking the winners, I don't take it too seriously. In my opinion, they're all winners!

What I will do when the contestants names are released ... is go and view the portfolios of those contestants whose pictures I voted for.

The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

Apr 06 21 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

David L. Stevens wrote:
The 2nd and 3rd place photos today are outstanding and there’s no way the winner was 30 votes better. There is a pattern with that photographer. As you said, it’s really meaningless which makes it even more baffling except for the fact he pats himself on the back on Instagram.

I actually like the 4th place one.

I see that there are only 27 entries? When i used to play, there were around 100 entries on any given weekday. What a sad state it has gotten now.

Apr 06 21 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

David L. Stevens wrote:
As you said, it’s really meaningless ...

I did not actually say, or mean to imply, that the POTD competition is meaningless.

For me, winning and losing are not as important as participating. Participating teaches, and learning is never meaningless.

It would be a hollow and meaningless victory if a POTD contestant was canvasing votes from their MM friends in order to win. I am not saying, or implying, any contestant is actually doing this!

Apr 07 21 12:27 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Camera Buff wrote:

I did not actually say, or mean to imply, that the POTD competition is meaningless.

For me, winning and losing are not as important as participating. Participating teaches, and learning is never meaningless.

It would be a hollow and meaningless victory if a POTD contestant was canvasing votes from their MM friends in order to win. I am not saying, or implying, any contestant is actually doing this!

Me either :-)

Apr 07 21 04:32 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

David L. Stevens wrote:

Actually you are correct. I meant photo 2 and 4 with 4 being the best in my humble opinion.

Apr 07 21 04:34 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

I voted for #1, which has 68 votes; and I voted for #16, which has 19 votes. I didn't vote for #s 2 or 3, because I didn't like the background of either (just as I will rarely if ever vote for a photo this hasn't been straightened); I didn't vote for #4 because there isn't really anything particularly noteworthy about it. I would vote for #s 5 or 13, because of the lighting; so, sometimes people vote based upon different criteria than you use to assess a photograph.

Apr 07 21 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I voted for #1, #2 and #4 in no particular order.

What I liked about #1 was the model wasn't overly photoshopped.

The one small thing I didn't like about #2 was the model's eyes. They were turned away so much that I could only see the whites of her eyes. This might bode well in a battle where the saying goes "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". But IMHO it doesn't bode well when you're shooting a model.   

And #3 was near faultless. The high level and quality of the photoshopping suited the theme of this image.

But unless I'm wrong, you get to vote for up to three images. That's three chances to pick a winner, but at the end of the ballot the winner may not be your favourite choice.

Apr 08 21 11:37 am Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Camera Buff wrote:
I voted for #1, #2 and #4 in no particular order.

What I liked about #1 was the model wasn't overly photoshopped.

The one small thing I didn't like about #2 was the model's eyes. They were turned away so much that I could only see the whites of her eyes. This might bode well in a battle where the saying goes "Don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes". But IMHO it doesn't bode well when you're shooting a model.   

And #3 was near faultless. The high level and quality of the photoshopping suited the theme of this image.

But unless I'm wrong, you get to vote for up to three images. That's three chances to pick a winner, but at the end of the ballot the winner may not be your favourite choice.

All good points but when the winner is 20 to 30 votes higher than 2nd place it just makes you wonder. Th not to say that the photo is not a good photo.

Apr 09 21 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Brett Hunt

Washington Court House, Ohio, US

Only 18 entries today . Thanks to the mods it is not much of a contest.Was hard to pick top three out of twenty as none really stood out.
In any case not much worrying to be done by voter  fraud unless there is a true contest.

Aug 03 21 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Midnight Dreams Imaging

Chicopee, Massachusetts, US

Brett Hunt wrote:
Only 18 entries today . Thanks to the mods it is not much of a contest.Was hard to pick top three out of twenty as none really stood out.
In any case not much worrying to be done by voter  fraud unless there is a true contest.

Was thinking the same thing. Only picked 2,  the rest were not very good at all.

Aug 03 21 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

David L. Stevens wrote:

You should try out the forum based contests. Voter ID is required there and they are very transparent as you see who voted for each image.

Aug 04 21 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Rev Reynolds VueMediaLV

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There's no doubt the contest has lost credibility , look at the POTD tag its used by most winners on everything even links on home pages. So the rules seem to be better referred to as suggestions. Also, I agree it's nothing to be taken very seriously, yet many times there is personal equity and effort involved in recruiting, approvals, locations, equipment...ect. So some consistency and equal application of the rules would be appreciated, otherwise why call it a contest, just make it a picture posting board and we can all get trophy's.

Aug 26 21 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Znude! wrote:

You should try out the forum based contests. Voter ID is required there and they are very transparent as you see who voted for each image.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 04 21 05:17 am Link