Forums > Photography Talk > Using GoPro, behind scenes recording photo shoots

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

I bought a GoPro 8 black. I would like to record some of my model shoots as I do them. I have a tendency to move around a little.
I bought a mount to attach it to my camera hot shoe.

Has anyone else recorded their shoots with a GoPro?
How / where did you mount the GoPro?
Any advise, thoughts?

Apr 22 21 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I've recorded a few sessions trying different placement. After using the GoPro for a while I think the best way is to use a camera mounted recorder that catches the view through the camera. I mounted the GoPro to my studio camera stand which wasn't bad. Mounting it on a tripod or mount that captured the whole scene would be cool as well. When shooting with a second photographer I handheld it and moved around but recording with the DSLR would have probably been a better option.

Using them under water is fun.

I always checked with the models to be sure video wasn't a bother for them.

Apr 22 21 04:07 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

You can by an inexpensive gimbal and mount the GoPro to that. I’ve done it and it works ok.

Apr 23 21 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

I was planning on buying the GoPro before the pandemic hit then I changed direction. I just like the BTS footage I see on the many postings. It just makes it interesting how people go about their routines. Also the models. Perhaps I will get motivated enough to go ahead and buy one and do it.

May 04 21 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

It strikes me that if the footage is going to be anything, I'd want a camera operator for the BTS camera - I wouldn't want to be trying to divide my attention between shooting a set, and shooting me shooting a set...

May 04 21 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I think it depends what you intend to use the video for.

I taped several model shoots (always with the informed consent of the models)--- I had ZERO intention of displaying  the videos, they were SOLELY for my benefit -  I was trying to refine my communication and directing skills during the shoot. I used a couple cameras, one set to capture the whole studio, one more tightly focused on the model. I set microphones to capture CLEARLY what we said to each other. (learned I mumble into the back of my camera body  too damn much smile )

But if the video had been for external use it would have been nearly worthless, I think to get vids useful for publication you would need to more actively control framing and perspective.... you know, like with an actual videographer behind the camera.

But again, it depends on intended end use, and what fits your needs.

May 04 21 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

ammodphoto wrote:
I bought a GoPro 8 black. I would like to record some of my model shoots as I do them. I have a tendency to move around a little.
I bought a mount to attach it to my camera hot shoe.

Has anyone else recorded their shoots with a GoPro?
How / where did you mount the GoPro?
Any advise, thoughts?

Check this idea out:
Skip the ads ... and go to the Taylor Made Model Photo Shoot Endless Aerial Drone Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IeYyuJ7_RY

May 05 21 03:25 am Link

Photographer

COI Photography

Lafayette, California, US

I use small rig mounts attached to my camera tripod they are awesome. 

https://youtu.be/CmKtrFW3s40

Jun 02 21 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

Get a few, used ones are pretty cheap. Changing the angle increases the dynamic of a BTS a lot.

Jun 03 21 07:55 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

As long as your model is 100% ok with it at least days before the shoot. Especially when shooting nudes a model may be in very compromising positions that nobody should ever see or even exist on film.
I'm all for it as long as everyone on the team is ok with it days in advance.
John

Jun 13 21 12:08 am Link