Forums > Photography Talk > lakes or ponds

Photographer

PaintingLightPics

Fairburn, Georgia, US

Does anyone know any lakes or ponds in the Atlanta area that would be good for shooting swimwear?

Apr 30 21 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Carl: Do you have a pool?
Ty: A pool and a pond. A pond would be good for you. Natural spring water.
Carl: Anything would be good. tongue

Apr 30 21 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

i don't understand when i see threads like this of people asking for location advice.

Why not just look at google maps or something similar and then decide if a location is:
1. Accessible, and if so
2. Meets your requirements for the shoot.

Only the person in charge of that would know if the location is suitable, because that's subjective.
Or at least give more requirements for the location if you want a recommendation.

Apr 30 21 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Paolo D Photography wrote:
i don't understand when i see threads like this of people asking for location advice.

I am mystified myself, especially when the location is the same as the inquiry.
You kinda have the home field advantage over me.

Would I expect to be mocked if I asked "what is the best thing to photograph in my backyard?"
Magic 8-Ball says "As I see it, yes "

A better discussion might be had if asked has anyone shot at so and so pond?
with a reply of: the North end is private property, but the farmer is cool,
If you ask nicely, and promise not to park on the rows of soybeans.

Apr 30 21 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

PaintingLightPics

Fairburn, Georgia, US

Being mocked isnt really a concern of mine. I was asking the question because Atlanta is a huge place and while i do know of some great locations, there are plenty I dont know. Google maps is a nice tool but something I've already tried. Ive asked this question before and gotten some great recommendations in the past so I figured Id ask.

Apr 30 21 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

my intent wasnt to mock. so please dont take my reply that way.
i just wanted to point out there was no qualifications given for what makes the location suitable.

good luck with your shoot.

May 01 21 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Why the pile-on?

To me, it sounds like the OP is merely asking for a few suggestions that he can follow up as he feels appropriate.

May 01 21 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

HiResPhotographs

Corona, California, US

Often, advice/suggestions > Google Maps.  Actual experience of a location is far more informative.

May 02 21 03:07 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Not every water hole is good for photography.  With help from friends I've shot in swimming pools to Lake Powell and the Pacific Ocean.

May 02 21 07:51 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

If someone asked that question for my area, I'd have a ton of questions.

Will the model be in the water?  Because the bottom type really does matter.  Stone, sand, or mud.  And most bodies of water, I would recommend not going in without good foot protection.  To much broken grass and other debris.  If you have to walk in to the location, take shoes dedicated to going in the water.

What do you want for background?  Forest?  Cattails? Park like scene?

Are you planning any nudity?  Will anything you do be so risqué as to be offensive to someone that comes by?

Are you trying to do this someplace where permission or fees are not required? 

When?  There are some lakes with sand beaches (no shoes would okay there), but once the lifeguards come on duty and there are kids running around, it might be hard unless you can convince people that it isn't a commercial shoot.  A cheap camera would help.

Though there are some larger ponds here, I know more that are less than an acre.  Size impacts your background.  A couple that are maybe two acres.  Really big ponds- something starting to be the size of a lake are unusual.  The only one I can think of right off is more than a 7 mile hike each way.  Swimming is restricted.  Maybe there won't be anyone there that sees or cares.

I find that there are more places where people slip into streams to go swimming then ponds.  There are miles and miles of streams and there is often public land on either side. Or private land where the owners just can't be bothered.  Ponds tend to be within private property.

Large reservoirs that are in public lands (as opposed to water company lakes) often have a mix of scenery.  You can move around to not attract to much attention.  But some guy fishing from a canoe is likely to suddenly appear.  And again, the bottom type matters.  The model could be coming out of the water with mud half way up her calves.

I would suggest looking at maps of large expanses of public lands: Parks, National Forests, Wilderness areas and the land around resoviors.  Find streams or ponds that are away from the road.  In these conditions, covid and warm weather, it would be hard to be alone, but it is possible.  Also look at farm lands, particularity those that are growing corn.  But then the timing is late summer until the corn is tall enough to shield you.  Or get permission.  Don't mistake a manure lagoon for a pond on an aerial photo.  If the water is near farm buildings, you don't want to be there.

May 02 21 08:38 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

This list has a lot of lakes ponds in the Atlanta and surrounding areas: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=L … anta%2C+GA

It is quite comprehensive. What I do is when I am curious about a site I enter it  into google plus something like fashion photography: I did this for Morgan Falls which feeds a lake. I could see it has been used for engagement and family photography.

If I were in Atlanta I would familiarize my something with that location and any other that appeals to me. Before I do shoots at beaches quite often I have shot the very beach previously to familiarize myself with it and to put together shots. I hope this helps you

May 02 21 08:25 pm Link