Forums > General Industry > Where have all the magazines gone?

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Each time I go into my local news agency I notice fewer and fewer magazine publications for sale. So I searched the internet to find out what was happening with some of my favourite magazines. What I found did not come as a complete surprise, but it did sadden me to learn about the demise of so many of my favourite magazines. I wonder what the future holds for the print industry?

May 04 21 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

My 99 year old mother continually asked why things can't be the way they used to be.

May 04 21 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://faithmag.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_full/public/2018-09/titanic2.jpg?h=6521bd5e&itok=H8td6QVv

May 04 21 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Each time I go into my local news agency I notice fewer and fewer magazine publications for sale. So I searched the internet to find out what was happening with some of my favourite magazines. What I found did not come as a complete surprise, but it did sadden me to learn about the demise of so many of my favourite magazines. I wonder what the future holds for the print industry?

Digital technology has changed so many things including publishing, photography, music and communication in general.  Print media is still alive, along with shooting film, but it's become more under ground, more retro.  I do have a collection from the past.  I have 10 working film cameras.  I also have 10 digital cameras of the same brand. I have a collection of magazines, newspapers and books.  I'm nostalgic for the past, but learning how to bring that nostalgia to the Internet. Call me a hybrid kind of guy!  At least some if not many of my favorite newspapers and magazines are online as websites.  Just like with any business, we either evolve or close shop.

May 04 21 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I guess I/we must accept that the way of things today, such as digital phones and social media, and video games and likes and comments is the only world some kids have known. Nearly every young person I see today has some type/brand of electronic device somewhere on their person.

Call me old fashioned but I still like to read a good book or magazine.

Perhaps I'll soon need to perform an 'update' on the welcome sign over my door, to say ... "WELCOME! Our home Wi-Fi password is _ _ _ _"

BTW - My favourite camera magazine is the US Edition of Digital PhotoPro.  https://www.digitalphotopro.com

May 04 21 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Print media is still alive, along with shooting film, but it's become more under ground, more retro.  I do have a collection from the past....At least some if not many of my favorite newspapers and magazines are online as websites.  Just like with any business, we either evolve or close shop.

Sorry, but that both doesn't make any sense nor is it based in fact. The print industry has not become more underground. That's ridiculous. It has become smaller, not by choice. They have not in anyway made intentional steps to operate without notice or acclaim. For the most part they have made intentional decision to consolidate and downsize to maintain some level of profitability.

This is not a recent process. It has been happening for at least the past 10-15 years. Initially there was a consolidation among publishing companies which resulted in combining or eliminating magazine titles. This process continued with both a reduction in titles and a reduction in pages per issue due to the division of advertising budgets that were spread between print and electronic media. Around 2015 there was also a consolidation among magazine distributors in North America (the people who actually own/lease the rack space. For a number of reasons, that effectively killed most men's/adult magazine publication which had already been shrinking.

All of this is due to general competition from electronic media whether it is video, websites or social media. Most traditional print publishers were not nimble in pivoting to electronic media at their own peril.

May 05 21 05:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Nov 14 21 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

When was the last time you subscribed to a print magazine or bought one on a newsstand ? Dont count an airport.

Nov 14 21 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Parks Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

The world is in constant change, and the digital world is changing the print world in a big way. For years I ran a small bindery that catered to many of the local printers. We slowly started losing business as more and more print went digital until it came to a point that we could no longer stay afloat. As such we had to sell off the company and I ended up changing fields. I have watched as this same scenario is playing out in the photo world.

Nov 14 21 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Where have all the magazines gone?

Internet !

Nov 14 21 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Lanny

Leiria, Centro, Portugal

I was in Scotland last week and picked up 2 copies of Amateur Photographer, Digital Camera and Digital Photographer.  It seems to me the the UK still has print magazines available.  I hated to see Popular Photographer go under.

Nov 15 21 10:10 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm still waiting for my next issue of Playboy to arrive  .  .  . 

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/images_blogs/table_of_malcontents/images/2007/03/16/picture_30.jpg

.  .  .  I can't wait to see what happens to LAF next, I think the last one I got was August of 1967  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 15 21 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

My favourite form of wall decor, especially during my impressionable teenage years, were the fabulous poster prints of famous 90's supermodels, such as Cindy Crawford and Paulina Porizkova. And the iconic calendars shot by famous photographers, such as those by UNIPART and PIRELLI. I also collected many of my favourite magazine images and created scrapbooks for future reference and inspiration.

Today, it's the internet!

However, IMO there's something special about having a hard copy print hanging on the wall, as opposed to a wallpaper posted on a computer screen.

Nov 15 21 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
Print media is still alive, along with shooting film, but it's become more under ground, more retro.  I do have a collection from the past....At least some if not many of my favorite newspapers and magazines are online as websites.  Just like with any business, we either evolve or close shop.

Dan Howell wrote:
Sorry, but that both doesn't make any sense nor is it based in fact. The print industry has not become more underground. That's ridiculous. It has become smaller, not by choice...

I kinda know what Patrick Walberg is saying and he's not far from reality, especially if he was to ad one word "new".
It's very obvious that more magazines are closing shop or going completely online every day, but many NEW magazines seem to be sprouting up.  Many, if not most are local to an area (probably because their budget only allows a minimum amount of issues to be printed and/or cant find a distributor... hence they remain local) and are underground or counter culture.

For instance, In my area a whole bunch of Marijuana related magazines have started appearing, especially after dispensaries became legal.  These magazines have a built in revenue stream... companies and dispensaries doing everything to get their products and services known to a new and rapidly growing market.  While not exactly counterculture, these magazines are not exactly "The National Review".

Local Arts related magazines are distributed heavily through arts districts in various cities.  Their main demographic is artists which often are people that are into burning man, drum circles, funky 'beat' type of coffee shops, and the new counterculture.

Nov 16 21 11:01 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

The photography magazines which are generally available from newsagents the UK might be useful as toilet paper if they were less expensive. The people who publish them seem to be sleepwalkers with no idea of what they're doing or why, beyond their cheque at the end of the month. If you just want to read a review of a particular piece of equipment, you can usually find something on the internet.

In Europe there have been photography magazines with a bit more flair, Photo Reporter for example.

Nov 20 21 07:27 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

This was the plan that backfired; publishers thought that they'd put up smaller articles from magazines on the internet... teasers... thinking this would get people to buy magazines.

How many people buy magazines for the articles ? Vogue ? Playboy ? people mainly buy magazines for the pictures which found themselves on the internet.

With the decline of advertising revenue as this is the main income for magazines the publishers had less money to spend on print (which publishers tried to save money on cheap paper and print), distribution.... which had a knock on effect on photographers and all associated paying less and less.

Advertisers now mainly concentrate on using the internet with a greater audience and with Ai marketing knowing everyones personal data they can target their audience a lot easier.

Nov 28 21 08:16 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

The decline in the number of magazines being published is related to a downturn in the photographic retail industry, with Jacobs gone and Jessops closing many of their branches. As to the reasons for this, consumer dissatisfaction with recent cameras is probably one.

Dec 02 21 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
The decline in the number of magazines being published is related to a downturn in the photographic retail industry, with Jacobs gone and Jessops closing many of their branches. As to the reasons for this, consumer dissatisfaction with recent cameras is probably one.

NOPE, not even close. I would go as far as saying the photographic retail industry had ZERO effect on the state of the magazine publishing industry, folding of magazine titles, reduction of printed pages, lowering of editorial rates.

Dec 02 21 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

sospix wrote:
I'm still waiting for my next issue of Playboy to arrive  .  .  . 

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/images_blogs/table_of_malcontents/images/2007/03/16/picture_30.jpg

.  .  .  I can't wait to see what happens to LAF next, I think the last one I got was August of 1967  .  .  .  wink

SOS

This is just the old song,"outside of a small circle of friends", repackaged!!
John

Dec 02 21 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

JSouthworth wrote:
If you just want to read a review of a particular piece of equipment, you can usually find something on the internet.

Yes, and there-in exactly lies the problem.
It's no different than going to Amazon for everything, so when we want anything photographically and want to actually look at it and touch it, a short drive to B&H should satisfy that desire but unfortunately most us us live 1000's of miles away.
Here in the US, how many states don't even have a real photography store??
John

Dec 02 21 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

About ten years ago I was talking to an acquaintance of mine whom had just lost his job. He had a fairly prestigious position as a photographer at People Magazine. He had photographed pretty much any body who was anybody, from presidents to movie stars. He was an early victim of the digital/internet steam roller that was killing photo jobs. At that time People Mag went from a fat weekly to a skinny monthly and along with it went about 90% of it's photographic work force.
As for myself I still shoot for Cyclocross Magazine but it's just not the same since about 7 years ago it went from a beautiful glossy paged premiere hard copy magazine to a very nice but strictly Internet digital mag!
It's no wonder that the specialty mags like a Photo mag cost $10 and up per copy if they are still alive at all!
But lets look at the ooh-so-bright-side, any model over four foot tall can say she's published and anybody with a cell phone can boast the same!!!
John

Dec 02 21 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

John Silva Photography wrote:

Yes, and there-in exactly lies the problem.
It's no different than going to Amazon for everything, so when we want anything photographically and want to actually look at it and touch it, a short drive to B&H should satisfy that desire but unfortunately most us us live 1000's of miles away.
Here in the US, how many states don't even have a real photography store??
John

Many of today's cameras look and feel like plastic toys, this is part of the problem I think.
A lot of the cameras I'm interested in cannot be found in shops anywhere in the UK. I've never even seen a Horseman VHR, for example.

Dec 11 21 07:55 am Link

Retoucher

KatanyaG

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

I know when I worked at a newsagency about 5 - 10 years ago that the magazines in print started to decline - the Gotch and IPS titles especially. Newsprint distribution in far northern Australia has also shrunk (thanks Newscorp…). I don't really buy in the shop any more - much like many other people, it's probably easier just to find them online, through mailing lists in email, pinterest, or move to different media outlets sadly. Covid happening probably didn't help the problem, plus the cost of raw materials. I know I struggled to even get a hold of my two favourite magaines (IdN and Juxtapoz) and so I just gave up.

That being said I don't think the print magazine industry will ever actually go away - maybe possibly just turn a bit more niche?

Dec 27 21 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Not far fetched but this week I visited a book store called books a million and I didn’t see any photography magazines but they did have other subject matter. I don’t know if its the pandemic but a decade ago I remember seeing quite a few.

Dec 30 21 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

A Third Decade of Guess? Images. (Paul Marciano)

If you love Guess photography, buy this beautiful book. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Third-De … 0847840236

Dec 30 21 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:

I am not surprised because no one reads paper anymore, people's noses are buried deep  their smartphones.

Jan 11 22 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Varton Photography wrote:
I am not surprised because no one reads paper anymore, people's noses are buried deep  their smartphones.

That's true. What I was also finding is the price of (imported) photography magazines (those that I prefer to read) were too pricey and bang for buck it is much better value to buy a good photography book instead. There's usually plenty of good photography book deals to be found at bookstore sales.

I recall as a young paperboy how some customers would go out in the early hours of the day and wait for their favourite newspaper stand to open up so that they could be the first to read the news of the day.

Jan 14 22 03:53 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

I keep getting People magazine in the mail.

Jan 21 22 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

woodpaint51

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

It's a shame that the print media is almost dead these days.  I had  just begun writing and getting paid for a non modeling magazine and BAM!.It got bought out by a conglomerate, and sold again 2 months later and pretty much all the new writers were done, before we even began.   Social media is to blame for sure, especially for younger adults who grew up as kids with every electronic device around.  No focus on any one subject for more than a few seconds.  An entire newspaper or magazine would bore them within 3 minutes sadly. And thus, people are less informed on ALL subjects, and misinformed, led with purposeful lies by politicians and non believers who know they can rant on about any subject on the internet, and it will be seen as The WHOLE TRUTH' by this social media generations     
    Yeah I'm old, but I prefer to see my best photos or models in a magazine, and not just an online service.   Seems more real, genuine, having to get past a REAL editor to get to print.

Jan 26 22 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

woodpaint51 wrote:
It's a shame that the print media is almost dead these days.  I had  just begun writing and getting paid for a non modeling magazine and BAM!.It got bought out by a conglomerate, and sold again 2 months later and pretty much all the new writers were done, before we even began.   Social media is to blame for sure, especially for younger adults who grew up as kids with every electronic device around.  No focus on any one subject for more than a few seconds.  An entire newspaper or magazine would bore them within 3 minutes sadly. And thus, people are less informed on ALL subjects, and misinformed, led with purposeful lies by politicians and non believers who know they can rant on about any subject on the internet, and it will be seen as The WHOLE TRUTH' by this social media generations     
    Yeah I'm old, but I prefer to see my best photos or models in a magazine, and not just an online service.   Seems more real, genuine, having to get past a REAL editor to get to print.

Facebook was founded in 2004. It wasn't widely adopted until 2006. The trend away from print began and the factors that drastically cut into the profitability of print were in place before that.

Jan 27 22 03:23 am Link