Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Well 90% of Lytton has now been destroyed.  You probably heard that the small town in BC set the all time record for ridiculously hot temperatures in Canada.

On Sunday, the town of Lytton set a new Canadian record at 116 degrees Fahrenheit.

On Monday, they pushed the record higher to 118 degrees.

On Tuesday, they pushed it higher still to an unbelievable 121 degrees.

Now the news is reporting that 90% of the Lytton village, including the town center, just about all homes and other structures, have been destroyed by fire.

The reports suggest a spark from a train may have triggered a fire.  Other reports suggest two different forest fires hit the town at the same time.   It's not clear other than the battle with the fire continues.

UPDATE:  Sadly, there are fatalities.

Jul 01 21 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

whoa! tragic. sad to clarify: was the temp increase not a result of the fire?
how the hell (pun intended) would it be that hot up there? seems strange.

edit: just searched and read a news article sad
poor little town. fire is the most scary.

Jul 01 21 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
Well 90% of Lytton has now been destroyed.  You probably heard that the small town in BC set the all time record for ridiculously hot temperatures in Canada.

On Sunday, the town of Lytton set a new Canadian record at 116 degrees Fahrenheit.

On Monday, they pushed the record higher to 118 degrees.

On Tuesday, they pushed it higher still to an unbelievable 121 degrees.

Now the news is reporting that 90% of the Lytton village, including the town center, just about all homes and other structures, have been destroyed by fire.

The reports suggest a spark from a train may have triggered a fire.  Other reports suggest two different forest fires hit the town at the same time.   It's not clear other than the battle with the fire continues.

UPDATE:  Sadly, there are fatalities.

My heart goes out to the people of Lytton.

Those of us in California can probably understand what this really means a bit better than most- in 2018 the town of Paradise, Ca was wiped off the map by wildfire with considerable loss of life. We have witnessed the struggles the community has endured trying to pick up the pieces of their lives and begin again. I can only imagine the folks in Lytton will face those same issues and who knows how many more.

On a more personal note, my best friend of well over 50 years was burned out of Detroit, Oregon in the wildfires there last year. He and his wife had 15 minutes notice from a dead sleep to pack and go. They escaped with the clothes on their backs and a few important papers. Their home literally burned to the ground with nothing left. His truck melted in the driveway. They moved out of state and have started over. They consider themselves relatively lucky, they were not hurt, and their insurance helped a lot.

So my heart goes out to the folks in Lytton and the surrounding area, I have a fair idea of what they are facing and the struggles in their future.

Jul 01 21 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

This is terrible!  I hope these homeless and injured people are getting enough support.

Jul 02 21 10:20 am Link