Forums > General Industry > Model is agency exclusive but...

Photographer

Panagiotis Peikidis

Astoria, New York, US

Hello 👋

I recently had a shoot with a model who is exclusive with an agency. However, we agreed that the shoot would be outside of the agency. The purpose of the shoot is to be included in a photobook that I'd like to sell. If the model signs a model release contract that would allow me to include the photo in the book and sell it, will I have trouble with her agency?

I'm hoping that if she signs a model release contract, then, even if she gets in trouble with her agency, it would not affect me and I can still use the photos in my book.

Am I wrong?

Thank you.

Aug 17 21 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You wouldn't be in trouble with the agency unless you personally had some kind of contract with them..

... but the model probably will be.

Aug 17 21 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

So what you are saying is that you didn't want to pay agency rates up front for a shoot/usage and that you don't care if the model is dropped from her agency as long as you get your photo published. Does that about sum it up?

Don't expect to be able to book models from that agency in the future. Or the agency her booker moves to down the road.

Aug 17 21 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I think the best advice is to consult a lawyer versed in such matters.  I am no such lawyer.

That said, I've shot "agency represented models" on several occasssions.   I certainly don't know if they are truly agency represented or what if any contract they may have with a modeling agency entails.   I assume any contract they sign with me does not breech any other agreement they have signed.  If they sign a contract with me that violates another contract, it seems to me that's a breech of contract on their part, not mine.  (a few such models have indicated they have previous agreements and any contract we have can't violate that agreement.  For example, perhaps I can't sell any images of them to any advertisng agency for X amount of time, but I can use any images for my own self promotion.)

If a model signs a contract with a modeling agency, it seems to me it's her/his responsibility to not enter into any other contracts that might violate that contract.  It's not my obligation to know what agreement every model I work with has ever signed in the past and whether or not her contract with me violates any past agreements she's signed.  It seems to that's on him/her.

(basically a longer winded version of what SayCheez said in a single sentence.)

Aug 17 21 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Panagiotis Peikidis

Astoria, New York, US

Actually, she was the one being very comfortable with the fact that she is going against her exclusive contract, not me. I was actually surprise to know she was exclusive. I expected, like previous models, to be non-exclusive. This is why I'm asking in the forums. I know there is a difference between exclusive and non-exclusive, I just wasn't sure who would be in trouble. She didn't like them meddling with her own bookings (her words, not mine), and when I asked her about signing a release just to be safe she was totally fine with it. So since she is OK with this, I want to make sure I am also legally in the clear. If I were to put her in any trouble with her agency, I wouldn't do it.

And honestly, it's not about the rates. It's the fact that I will not have control over the distribution rights of the photo. That's my biggest issue. I'd like to sell this book. I don't expect to make nowhere near what I spent to make it, and, in fact, I'm using it mostly as a portfolio piece, but I also don't want to have to deal with rights management or any licensing issues with agencies. This is why all of the shoots for the book are paid gigs. I'm not gonna do TFP and then go sell them.

Thanks for the replies. I understand the issues and risks here and will make sure I ask about exclusive contracts from now on.

Aug 17 21 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Panagiotis Peikidis wrote:
And honestly, it's not about the rates. It's the fact that I will not have control over the distribution rights of the photo. That's my biggest issue. I'd like to sell this book.

Are you confusing a conditional model release and distribution rights? On professional projects, photographers estimate the expected scope and duration of a project and negotiate for those rights. Whether you intended to or not, you are going around her agency's contract with her to get lower rate or greater usage. If you got an all-rights release from her, you are likely going against specific instructions they gave to her. Congrats. I'm sure that they made that quite clear to her. Now you announced in a public forum.

i would not assume that kind of risk just because I didn't negotiate with an agency.

Aug 18 21 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

You need to talk with a lawyer from your jurisdiction. There is a cause of action called intentional interference with a contractual relationship that may come into play here.  The other problem is if her agency gets wind of it they may tell her to take her cards and take a hike and you would be responsible for that, at least morally.

You would have to see her agency agreement to know if they agency has anything to do with her signing a model release. I would find it hard to believe that she assigned her rights to have the agency sign releases. I would never accept a release signed by anyone but the model herself.

Aug 18 21 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Panagiotis Peikidis

Astoria, New York, US

Dan Howell wrote:
So what you are saying is that you didn't want to pay agency rates up front for a shoot/usage and that you don't care if the model is dropped from her agency as long as you get your photo published.

Dan Howell wrote:
If you got an all-rights release from her, you are likely going against specific instructions they gave to her. Congrats.

Dan, please stop making the worse assumptions about me. Yes, I am very likely confusing a conditional model release and distribution rights because I am not an experienced professional photographer and I came here for help, but you are making it very difficult to learn. I am looking up these definitions as I write this.

I am making a photobook. I don't think it's unreasonable to seek out models and crew members that are within my budget and allow me to use the photos for this purpose. I am always upfront about the purpose of the shoot. When I found out that there might be a problem with her agency due to her contract, I made sure to ask her what I can and cannot do. If she would have told me that I couldn't use the photos because she would get in trouble, I wouldn't go behind her back and use them. But she is an adult and an experienced model; if she has a relationship with her agency where this is fine, I don't see why I should feel like I am doing something wrong.

What I do know is that I should make sure this doesn't happen again, because what happened was I didn't find out about this until after the shoot that I paid. I am now trying to figure out if I can use what I paid for or if that money just went down the drain. Neither me nor the model are purposefully trying to take advantage of each other. I understand there were assumptions made by both parties and now I'm trying to see what are my options. If I can't use the photo, fine; lesson learned.

Regardless, I think this was a very informative discussion.

Aug 18 21 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Panagiotis Peikidis

Astoria, New York, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
You need to talk with a lawyer from your jurisdiction. There is a cause of action called intentional interference with a contractual relationship that may come into play here.

I see. This sounds like more trouble than it's worth. It's easier (and cheaper) for me to just not use this photo in the book. But now I'm wondering if I can use it at all? Like in Instagram or my website.

Vector One Photography wrote:
I would find it hard to believe that she assigned her rights to have the agency sign releases. I would never accept a release signed by anyone but the model herself.

Good to know. I'll keep this in mind going forward. Thank you.

Aug 18 21 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Her "Exclusive" contract may have that she is exclusive in certain geographical markets or certain genre's of photography so without reading her contract it is impossible to say it would violate her contract. Also an issue is the publication date of the book. If it hasn't been published before her contract expires it may not matter.

Unless the model is also a lawyer not sure how much faith you should put in her statement. Of course I am not a lawyer either

Aug 30 21 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Keep in mind this "Agency" could be a total BS scam the model has fallen for.

Aug 30 21 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Panagiotis Peikidis wrote:
Hello 👋

I recently had a shoot with a model who is exclusive with an agency. However, we agreed that the shoot would be outside of the agency. The purpose of the shoot is to be included in a photobook that I'd like to sell. If the model signs a model release contract that would allow me to include the photo in the book and sell it, will I have trouble with her agency?

I'm hoping that if she signs a model release contract, then, even if she gets in trouble with her agency, it would not affect me and I can still use the photos in my book.

Am I wrong?

Thank you.

Very good question!  From your other responses, it sounds like you are on good terms with her.  Without being able to exam her agency agreement yourself or with a lawyer .. this is difficult for anyone here to advise you on. 

If it were me, I "might" error on the side of caution by not including her images in my book.  It so happens I am working on a book too, and I am taking issues like this in consideration.  I do hope to make money from publishing a book, so that is also why I would side with not using her images.  I'm sure that you have a good case if you should use her images however.  I just don't wish to deal with contract messes if I can avoid them. If your images are so worthy that you would want to show 'em regardless of cost or risk, then go for it!  Post them because you paid for it, and you are the copyright owner regardless!

Final statement;  I don't know the circumstances, the model or much of anything regarding the agreement you made.  What I will say is that it is the risk takers that succeed or fail.  Better to put it out there than to never have let others see you work.  It's on you!  Best wishes!

Aug 30 21 03:48 pm Link