Forums > Model Colloquy > Models, how well do you know your neighborhood

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

Models, how well do you know the area around where you are based?

In other words, If I contacted you and wanted to do a shoot, do you know of locations you could actually take me to shoot? (Not locations you have heard of or even been to, but not sure how to get there).

Do you know if there are specific types of locations around you? Such as lakes, rivers, creeks, and waterfalls (when they are running or dry)?

Abandoned buildings or equipment, Parks, or other scenic locations?

If you are open to it. Do you know of places where you can shoot nudes? Freely? With discretion?

How about alternative locations in case of bad weather? Such as studios?

I have shot with a few models who were able to take me from location to location quickly leaving more time available for shooting.

I have also shot with some who didn’t seem to have a clue of where to shoot at.

Most have been in between with some idea, but not sure exactly how to get there. (Had to call a friend or look online).

Sep 21 21 02:42 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

A  couple of things in response to that.  I think it's mainly the photographers responsibility to know where to shoot and to research places in a strange area ahead of time when coming from out of town.  While some models might make suggestions for new places they have seen and would like to shoot at, that does not mean you can do so successfully at the time you would like to, for a variety of reasons.

Yes, I do know places to shoot since I have been modelling for more than 34 years now.  There are several that seem overrun with photographers on the weekends because they are so popular. When you see someone's photos it's immediately obvious where they were taken, so I don't want any more of that. 

There are some great locations within a few miles of home and others further away, up to an hour's drive, including places where I've posed naked, sometimes for hours at a time.  But I have already been photographed in nearly all of those settings by a dozen or more other photographers, sometimes as part of a group shoot. So getting new photos to add to my portfolio in a new, different setting is more important to me at this point. The exception to that would be a few more isolated nature trails as there is always a variety of background on them, but trails present their own challenges.

Also some of the best places are on private property, where one or two photographers who are good friends of the owner may have permission to shoot, but I don't have that permission nor do I know the owners of the property, so you won't be able to get permission either.  Other than the ones on college campuses, there don't seem to be any decent studio rentals available without going some distance and the college studios are only available to students.

Many of the photographers and artists I've worked with are using rentals like Airbnb or hotel rooms to get an indoor space and I've modelled in rental meeting rooms and office spaces.  I have concerns that there may be hidden security cameras in some of those places and while I don't care who sees me naked while I'm modelling, or who sees the resulting photos or artwork, I also don't want to be watched on security systems or have photos from that which I don't know about ending up in the wrong hands.

Sep 21 21 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Agreed with the post above this is the photographers job!!!
Just like a movie director scouts locations to film or has staff to do it for them if well funded enough.
Stop being lazy and do your own work !

Sep 21 21 08:23 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

If I asked for this service, I would expect to compensate the model for it as it would be separate from modeling.

Sep 21 21 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Some of my models have been very helpful with their suggestions on suitable shoot locations, especially when visiting areas I'm not familiar with.

One model went as far as suggesting where I could go ... and what I could do with my camera.

Sep 21 21 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

G Reese wrote:
If I asked for this service, I would expect to compensate the model for it as it would be separate from modeling.

What service are you referring to? I just asked a simple question of how well models knew the area where they live.

Sep 22 21 01:54 am Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Agreed with the post above this is the photographers job!!!
Just like a movie director scouts locations to film or has staff to do it for them if well funded enough.
Stop being lazy and do your own work !

I agree the responsibility falls on the photographer. I do try to find locations before booking shoots. Using different ways such as google, chamber of commerce, and even city hall. I believe the model can also be an excellent resource for information.

Sep 22 21 02:55 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

G Reese wrote:

ammodphoto wrote:
What service are you referring to? I just asked a simple question of how well models knew the area where they live.

No, you asked much more than that.  You asked another question, indicating a motivation and a need for assistance beyond her expertise in her geographic area.  "In other words, If I contacted you and wanted to do a shoot, do you know of locations you could actually take me to shoot?"   

I agree that having a model suggest places to shoot is helpful and convenient.   If I am willing to go to her, in an area I am not familiar with, said area being too far away to properly scout days or weeks in advance, her input is likely to make an otherwise difficult shoot to arrange, a reality.  I have had models offer such suggestions and I am very grateful.  In one case, at a place that is a 200 mile drive, the wonderful model I was to work with suggested two possible locations on publicly assessable ground.  I arrived a couple of days in advance to scout the locations.  In that particular circumstance, I had a place to stay for free in that town, so the additional expense was not significant, though the time commitment was. 

I would think it to be entirely fair to compensate the model for providing the service of "taking me to a safe location" to shoot.  The compensation could be considered to be included in the model's fee if the shoot wouldn't happen otherwise, being that it is income received compared to no income received, but offering something in additional compensation would be right.  As Mature Model put it, if the shoot was a TF, then it is reasonable for her to decline if she isn't going to get anything of value from the shoot.

A model lending her expertise could also save her the multiple hours and cost involved in traveling to a location that the photographer knows and which could be agreed upon, which could also be considered as compensation via savings.

Sep 22 21 06:01 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

While I agree it is normally the photographer's responsibility there are times that would not be practical and if a model is looking for paid shoots it is to her advantage to be of help.

I am going to be in Miami for a couple of days but only have one day to shoot and was hoping to work with a local model I have worked with before and she has a great apartment with ocean view. Sadly she will be out of town that day. Next year I will be in Orlando for a couple of months and my first resource for looking for locations will be people I know there .

Perhaps the OP statement about taking him there was worded poorly but knowing of a location that is not available is of little use.

Sep 22 21 07:54 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I was primarily a traveling model, and rarely worked where I was based. This meant I would be in one state one day, then literally across the country shooting in a different state, the next day. It was virtually impossible for me to be able to provide this knowledge about everywhere I toured or worked. For traveling pro level models, it is not feasible to offer locations, generally speaking. I modeled for something like 15 years, and photographers pretty much always provided locations. The exception would be when photographers were traveling through my area when I lived in Boston. Then, I would offer my home as a shooting space, if I was going to be home during that period.

Sep 22 21 09:25 am Link

Photographer

ammodphoto

Troy, Missouri, US

ammodphoto wrote:
Models, how well do you know the area around where you are based?

In other words, If I contacted you and wanted to do a shoot, do you know of locations you could actually take me to shoot? (Not locations you have heard of or even been to, but not sure how to get there).

Do you know if there are specific types of locations around you? Such as lakes, rivers, creeks, and waterfalls (when they are running or dry)?

Abandoned buildings or equipment, Parks, or other scenic locations?

If you are open to it. Do you know of places where you can shoot nudes? Freely? With discretion?

How about alternative locations in case of bad weather? Such as studios?

I have shot with a few models who were able to take me from location to location quickly leaving more time available for shooting.

I have also shot with some who didn’t seem to have a clue of where to shoot at.

Most have been in between with some idea, but not sure exactly how to get there. (Had to call a friend or look online).

From the answers I am receiving, I definitely must have worded this question wrong. Please let me try again.

MODELS, how well do you know the area where you are based? (This would be where you grew up, or have lived for a while, or use to live and still visit).

If needed, are you able to suggest places to shoot? If a photographer has a list of places to shoot, are you able to advise if the locations are photographer / model friendly or not? Suitable for shooting nudes?

Sep 23 21 03:11 am Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Unfortunately I don't think it was your wording. A very quick calculation shows that 75% of the people responding aren't even aware that they are not models which should "kinda" be easy to figure out , as you have probably become aware here asking a straight forward question take things into a completely different dimension. My best response to the same question when asked of a model who was from the city I was in was "we could shoot outdoors" which actually did answer a few follow up questions.

Sep 24 21 08:45 am Link