Forums > General Industry > Shooting in NYC/ManhattanOutdoors

Photographer

ceenia_photo

Los Angeles, California, US

Anyone know of a nice location in NYC to shoot outdoors with a model?
Like somewhere in Manhattan?

I was looking for like a rooftop but apparently that is not a cheap endeavor. It would cost me hundreds of dollars. Yikes.

Then I went looking for somewhere in the park, but there's always on-lookers staring at the models.
Im not shooting nudes obviously as its outdoors. But there is always people on the shot.

Any cool suggestions?

Preferring somewhere in midtown Manhattan.

Oct 06 21 07:39 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

A New Yorker will give you more specific answers that you are probably seeking. My answer is from the perspective of someone that doesn't live there and does visit with my camera and shoots my attractive friends on the street. 

First off, forget about the on lookers.  They are everywhere.  Most people don't have time to linger long and you aren't going to be doing anything they haven't seen before.

I am familiar with downtown more then midtown.  Downtown: Battery Park, Washington Square, China Town.  Lincoln Square.  Around NYU.  The WTC.  The Brooklyn Bridge walk way.  The Manhattan Bridge walk way.  Check out the High Line Park- an elevated rail way that has been converted to a pedestrian oasis.  There are fascinating streets and facades all over the city.

Madison Square Garden & Penn Station.  There are grand buildings (court house, post offices- I don't remember) with granite stair cases and columns across the street and accessible from the street.  Grand Central Station is an amazing building inside and out.

Midtown- definitely Central Park.  I have shot a length at a dance at the Shakespeare statue.  I recommend shooting a model on the perimeter of an organized group doing an unrelated activity.  Also, the part of Central Park known as The Ramble. 

I haven't done it in New York, but subways have been recommended to me.

A friend of mine took me into the Harvard Club.  We got great shots in there (natural light only), so, if you know any Harvard Grads in NYC- get them to take you.  We also went into a hotel lobby that was massive and multiple levels and took some shots.  Oh, and Rockefeller Center.  Outside of theaters in the theater district.  Times Square.

Keys: No tripods, no light or reflector stands. Nothing that has to be put on the ground.  Shoot a bit and move on.  Or sit down and act like a tourist (you will be anyway).  Wear good walking shoes. 

I may add on to this as I think about it.

Oct 07 21 04:55 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

A popular spot is in Brooklyn, on the waterfront near the terminus of the Brooklyn Bridge. With the water behind your model and the Manhattan skyline in the background, you can get your shots without onlookers being in the photos. Various piers project into the East River here so you get a variety of viewpoints (including with the Brooklyn Bridge as a backdrop).

Oct 07 21 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Shooting on the street in Manhattan is more about timing than location. While there are almost always tourists around, if you selected a time like a Sunday morning, you could easily get some shots at Bethesda Fountain in Central park and work your way down towards Times Sq without too much interference.

I have been hired on a few occasions to do multiple-location, fast paced shoots in Manhattan starting at Central park and working my way downtown incl. Meatpacking district, cobblestone streets in Soho, street pizza at cafe, the Highline, DUMBO with the famous angle of Manhattan bridge and then ending up in Time Sq and used the crowd as background color.

You can do it all in cabs/uber, but I just hired an assistant to sit in my car while we jumped out and shot. This wouldn't have been possible on a Tuesday, for example.

Oct 07 21 08:24 am Link

Photographer

ceenia_photo

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
A New Yorker will give you more specific answers that you are probably seeking. My answer is from the perspective of someone that doesn't live there and does visit with my camera and shoots my attractive friends on the street. 

First off, forget about the on lookers.  They are everywhere.  Most people don't have time to linger long and you aren't going to be doing anything they haven't seen before.

I am familiar with downtown more then midtown.  Downtown: Battery Park, Washington Square, China Town.  Lincoln Square.  Around NYU.  The WTC.  The Brooklyn Bridge walk way.  The Manhattan Bridge walk way.  Check out the High Line Park- an elevated rail way that has been converted to a pedestrian oasis.  There are fascinating streets and facades all over the city.

Madison Square Garden & Penn Station.  There are grand buildings (court house, post offices- I don't remember) with granite stair cases and columns across the street and accessible from the street.  Grand Central Station is an amazing building inside and out.

Midtown- definitely Central Park.  I have shot a length at a dance at the Shakespeare statue.  I recommend shooting a model on the perimeter of an organized group doing an unrelated activity.  Also, the part of Central Park known as The Ramble. 

I haven't done it in New York, but subways have been recommended to me.

A friend of mine took me into the Harvard Club.  We got great shots in there (natural light only), so, if you know any Harvard Grads in NYC- get them to take you.  We also went into a hotel lobby that was massive and multiple levels and took some shots.  Oh, and Rockefeller Center.  Outside of theaters in the theater district.  Times Square.

Keys: No tripods, no light or reflector stands. Nothing that has to be put on the ground.  Shoot a bit and move on.  Or sit down and act like a tourist (you will be anyway).  Wear good walking shoes. 

I may add on to this as I think about it.

Believe me I really tried, but there's always someone on the shot in the most inopportune. If they're passerbys that's ok, but its like them literally ogling and it throws off the composition. Also the models get uncomfortable.

it is actually on Central Park, but Im not from here, so we may have to try early morning.

Penn Station is soooo busy, I can't imagine shooting there. Yes I don't bring tripods, but I got someone with me carrying a portable monolight. Its really tricky on indoor locations like buildings because of securty, that is why I'm opting for outdoor location, and it hasn't been easy so far. But you post lots of great suggestions, I'll try that and see how to time it. Super thanks appreciate it! smile

Oct 07 21 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

ceenia_photo

TaiChiJohn wrote:
A popular spot is in Brooklyn, on the waterfront near the terminus of the Brooklyn Bridge. With the water behind your model and the Manhattan skyline in the background, you can get your shots without onlookers being in the photos. Various piers project into the East River here so you get a variety of viewpoints (including with the Brooklyn Bridge as a backdrop).

That sounds nice, though I'm looking more for midtown because I only got around 1 1/2 a day with the model who works in midtown, so not sure traveling to Brooklyn would work, but with ample time that definitely something I will consider, thanks! smile

Oct 07 21 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

ceenia_photo

Dan Howell wrote:
Shooting on the street in Manhattan is more about timing than location. While there are almost always tourists around, if you selected a time like a Sunday morning, you could easily get some shots at Bethesda Fountain in Central park and work your way down towards Times Sq without too much interference.

I have been hired on a few occasions to do multiple-location, fast paced shoots in Manhattan starting at Central park and working my way downtown incl. Meatpacking district, cobblestone streets in Soho, street pizza at cafe, the Highline, DUMBO with the famous angle of Manhattan bridge and then ending up in Time Sq and used the crowd as background color.

You can do it all in cabs/uber, but I just hired an assistant to sit in my car while we jumped out and shot. This wouldn't have been possible on a Tuesday, for example.

Great information, thanks! Im not from here, and I'm kind of navigating all these information. The shoot and run type of shoot sounds like a doable plan, obviously more expensive smile But I totally agree about the timing. I guess if we try very early morning, we can literally shoot anywhere with little trouble. We've so far tried twice 8am to 9am and so far its the worst times ever! smile

Oct 07 21 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

ceenia_photo wrote:

Great information, thanks! Im not from here, and I'm kind of navigating all these information. The shoot and run type of shoot sounds like a doable plan, obviously more expensive smile But I totally agree about the timing. I guess if we try very early morning, we can literally shoot anywhere with little trouble. We've so far tried twice 8am to 9am and so far its the worst times ever! smile

8am-9am is rush hour. "Early morning" is before rush hour.

Dec 15 21 03:02 am Link