Forums > General Industry > Thoughts on AI generating new images from shoots?

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

Saw this news today: https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/27/adobe … s-for-you/

Tldr; - Adobe creates software functionality to take an image of a person, select another picture with a different pose, and generates a new picture with the original image of the person in the new pose.

The first thing I thought was… what is the impact of this to models? Say someone wants a pose collection or perhaps has a whole array of different poses they wanted… but only hires a model to do a fraction of the poses?

The second thing I thought was… how does this impact image licensing rights? This would apply to model releases as well as image licensing… what is the legal standing regarding licensing say… one image for publication/use, where the manipulation of the image is allowed… which in turn is used to generate many other images?

I suspect this means changes to licensing agreements and perhaps even model releases…?

Thoughts?

Oct 27 21 07:44 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

I wonder how many training photos the algorithm needs of the model to be posed.

Oct 27 21 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

WingedPower wrote:
Thoughts?

we should be terrified of AI augmenting our perception of existence.

Nov 14 21 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

As far as licensing, it's not much different than using photoshop to compsite images together etc... one model poses for a certian # of shots but can be photoshopped into 1000s of various comercial images.  Releases and contracts should already be written in a way that would cover that so this is not much different.  (Easier for the average Joe perhaps)

Nov 14 21 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Well written MR provide for new technology

Nov 14 21 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bob Helm Photography wrote:
Well written MR provide for new technology

Exactly.

Nov 15 21 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

"We believe that when you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from the man."

Nov 15 21 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I've never found it very useful to fight whatever is going to happen.  We just adjust accordingly.

Think of how many things we're already capable of easily doing right now, that either didn't exist in the past or that do things that were very difficult to accomplish in the past.

I suspect it will be just another tool that we'll learn to master / can assist us with our craft.

Nov 16 21 11:48 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

WingedPower wrote:
Saw this news today: https://techcrunch.com/2021/10/27/adobe … s-for-you/

Tldr; - Adobe creates software functionality to take an image of a person, select another picture with a different pose, and generates a new picture with the original image of the person in the new pose.

The first thing I thought was… what is the impact of this to models? Say someone wants a pose collection or perhaps has a whole array of different poses they wanted… but only hires a model to do a fraction of the poses?

The second thing I thought was… how does this impact image licensing rights? This would apply to model releases as well as image licensing… what is the legal standing regarding licensing say… one image for publication/use, where the manipulation of the image is allowed… which in turn is used to generate many other images?

I suspect this means changes to licensing agreements and perhaps even model releases…?

Thoughts?

I just tried to post a thread about changing to model releases for the 2020s, but I got logged out for some reason and the thread was lost.

Nov 16 21 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

WingedPower wrote:

This has always been in my model release:
[model agrees that the photographer may] "alter and composite the same without restriction and without my inspection or approval."

Licensing varies from case to case.

Note that standard editing and retouching may be considered as altering the image.

Nov 21 21 08:15 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

My thought is a big old raspberry. !!!

Nov 23 21 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

An evolution of sites such as thispersondoesnotexist, that have been around for years

https://www.inverse.com/article/53414-t … -interview

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/28/tech/ai- … index.html

Dec 03 21 07:17 pm Link