Forums > General Industry > Pandemic & Internet Censorship & You

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm curious how has the Pandemic and the increase in Internet Censorship over the past 2 years effected you as a photographer or a model?

When they announced stay at home orders I informed those following my Patreon that there would be limits to what I shoot going forward.  Lost 2/3 after sharing that news.  Almost 2 years later I was finally able to get back in a studio but it was too late as I've finally lost all my patrons.  With more and more online platforms increasing their censorship requirements I'm finding it harder to promote my work.  If an image on Instagram is slightly suggestive they'll demote it.  If an image is too innocent fewer people will engage with it and it will be shown to less people.  I get more likes sharing images of objects than I do of people.  I know models that keep getting their accounts suspended when they don't even post anything suggestive at all.  Then you have places like MM that should be safe havens pulling this over-censorship nonsense.  I've even started self-censoring during shoots.

Nov 14 21 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

You lost your followers on Patreon?  Is Patreon enforcing a nudity ban?   OnlyFans was going to pull the rug out from under the "Adult" industry content and changed their mind. They would have lost their appeal to the masses along with a massive amount of money amounting to millions if not billions!   I consider Modelmayhem a safe place for nudity.  Isn't it still a safe place for nudes?

As for websites like Facebook and Instagram ... they have bots and people judging based on a lack of logic. It's the Wild West as some people get a free pass  .. mostly corporates, celebrities, or those with millions of followers. One of my friends who worked at Facebook said "they get to do whatever the F** they want!"   The Internet is the Wild West!  In my opinion, you've got to have your own website if you are going to be successfull.  Either that or have enough money to buy Instagram.

Nov 14 21 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Super Dimension Foto

Portland, Oregon, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
You lost your followers on Patreon?  Is Patreon enforcing a nudity ban? I consider Modelmayhem a safe place for nudity.  Isn't it still a safe place for nudes?

Patreon still allows nudes they just added more requirements for documentation.  I lost them because couldn't shoot that much or shoot in the same manner as before.  I don't really consider MM that safe any more when nearly everything nude or not has to be marked as mature.

The Internet is the Wild West!  In my opinion, you've got to have your own website if you are going to be successfull.  Either that or have enough money to buy Instagram.

Actually do have my own website.  The problem is how do you reach people?  You can find them all hanging out on the major social media platforms and promote yourself.   Too bad these platforms have started to really suppresses such activity.

Nov 14 21 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
I'm curious how has the Pandemic and the increase in Internet Censorship over the past 2 years effected you as a photographer or a model?

seems like youre specifically referring to social media and nude images?

it didnt affect me at all.
i just shoot content and collect compensation, the end user can deal with any censorship issues that may arise.

Nov 14 21 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

The pandemic probably boosted my business. 95% of my content is self-shot and solo, so nothing changed in my business model, yet my income went up. I figured it was because there was less competition for a while before people figured out how to get back to work. And people were home, buying naughty stuff on the internet with their government covid money.

The day before everything shut down for covid in my area, I was having neck surgery... 3 levels of my cervical spine fused. I was hoping to take some time off to recover, but the orders kept rolling in so I got back to shooting in less than 10 days.

I keep expecting business to slow down, but it has remained high. Thought I'd be retiring from being in front of the camera soon, but by the looks of it I'd be an idiot to quit now.

Growing censorship sucks and that's all I am going to say about that.

Nov 15 21 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I’m someone who lies to study an issue, including reading different viewpoints so I can make an informed decision.  I feel that’s get harder due to censorship and that concerns me. 

I don’t think it has much impact on my photography however.   I’ve had to mark more of my MM images as mature, even though there’s nothing mature about them, but I don’t think that had any real impact.  There are far fewer active MM models these days to choose from, but I think censorship plays a very small role in that.   

The one area I may be experiencing some impact is with Craigslist.   While I can still post seeking model ads, I get a lower response than I did before they censored.  I think perhaps their censorship has turned some people off their site in general.   

Related, it’s not just site rules, but as more sites turn to user moderation to save money, it encourages  censorship.

Nov 19 21 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Censorship...? I question the use of the word.
China practices censorship. You are not being censored.
Why do  you feel entitled that a private company is obligated to host your media for free.
Who is stopping you from building your own website and posting whatever you want ?
Big Tech is the problem here. We all need to work on ways to thrive with out them.

Nov 19 21 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Censorship...? I question the use of the word.
China practices censorship. You are not being censored.
Why do  you feel entitled that a private company is obligated to host your media for free.
Who is stopping you from building your own website and posting whatever you want ?
Big Tech is the problem here. We all need to work on ways to thrive with out them.

I don't have a problem with websites that are free to join/use making their own rules. I have a problem with organizations that I pay censoring content.
You are subject to censorship if you build your own website and accept credit cards.

FYI:
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-e … b/21805450

Nov 20 21 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Super Dimension Foto wrote:
Then you have places like MM that should be safe havens pulling this over-censorship nonsense.

The only images that Model Mayhem censors are adult and imminently dangerous content. 

Many images do need to be marked "Mature" so that they do not show on public areas of the site and to those with Wiorksafe mode enabled, but that's not the same thing as censorship, even though many tend to equate the two for some reason.

Nov 20 21 07:16 pm Link